Rotoworld Shonn Greene observations

19andOhWait

Evan Silva article on some game tape review of Shonn is below.. points out pretty much what I would think most of us already know. One year left on that rookie deal for Shonn, can he play better? Will he have a big year? Will he split with Mcknight? Teebs at running back maybe?

Jets running back Shonn Greene

For Greene's game reviews, I made sure to pick heavy-workload affairs that might offer polar viewpoints. I chose Week 14 against Kansas City -- Greene's best box score of the season -- and Week 6 versus Miami -- a difficult matchup in which Greene struggled on 22 touches. As a cherry on top, I watched Greene's Week 3 game at Oakland because he caught a season-high seven passes.

On the very first snap of the Chiefs game, Greene followed FB John Conner's lead block into a massive chunk of open grass. Greene rumbled 31 yards, although he left many more on the field by running squarely into CBBrandon Carr, and finally ILB Derrick Johnson, who pushed Greene out of bounds. This would easily go down as Greene's longest run in the three games I viewed.

For a power back listed at 226, Greene only occasionally moves the pile on his own. He's far too often tackled directly at the line of scrimmage. Greene can be tough to bring down in space, but he rarely gets there, lacking any hint of lateral moves and possessing below-average short-area burst.

No one would argue that the Jets' O-Line is as effective as it was in its heyday. But in the Kansas City matchup in particular, the front five generated solid movement in the run game. Greene left a ton of yardage on the field by failing to recognize cutback lanes or hit them with purpose when he did. He has remarkably slow feet for a running back, and Greene's poor vision is just as worrisome.

Greene certainly lacks speed to get the corner. He must have creases up the gut to create solid gains.

I charted every third-down snap in the Dolphins and Chiefs games. There were 24 of them. LaDainian Tomlinsonoperated as a single-set back on 21. Greene was the lone back twice. And then-rookie Bilal Powell took a carry on third-and-11 for the last one.

Greene pass blocked on just three occasions in the two later-season contests -- late in the second quarter of the Chiefs game, again in the third quarter, and one time against Miami. Just once did Greene effectively handle a pass rusher. He took safety Reshad Jones out of a play in the Miami game.

I admittedly entered these games viewing Greene as a pedestrian talent. He was even worse than I expected. Greene's positives are few. He does look the part at 5-foot-11, 220-plus and can be hard to tackle with a full head of steam. But because he sees the field so poorly and takes so long to hit top speed, I'd hesitate to even call Greene a back who "gets what's blocked." He gets less than that.

The Jets under GM Mike Tannenbaum have done a putrid job of evaluating offensive talent within their own organization. Greene and swinging-gate right tackle Wayne Hunter are prime examples of what will likely prove franchise-dooming incompetency. Both players are slated for starting roles in 2012.

die hard fans tend to focus on the weaknesses of the team

look at the roster

the blue chip players they are paying: Revis, Harris, Mangold, Brick. red chips like Sanchez, Holmes, Scott, pace and Cro ... aren't blue chips but getting paid like that. two first round DE's etc. It all adds up.

then they go cheap at RB and RT and people say it's gonna doom the franchise. Shonn Greene isn't great but he can be good. I also wish they had a better player at RB but can't always get what you want.

I don't agree with this philosophy that you can find feature backs in the 4th/5th/6th... it's very tough to do.

That philosophy gets proven right more often than not, by teams that know how to build and sustain a great O-line over time.

Guys like Arian Foster, Priest Holmes, Rudi Johnson, Terrell Davis, to name a few... none of them elite talent, all of them put in situations where the O-line was elite, the blocking scheme suited to their strengths, the whole team knew how to block beyond the 2nd level of the defense, and most importantly... there was very good QB play.

That philosophy gets proven right more often than not, by teams that know how to build and sustain a great O-line over time.

Guys like Arian Foster, Priest Holmes, Rudi Johnson, Terrell Davis, to name a few... none of them elite talent, all of them put in situations where the O-line was elite, the blocking scheme suited to their strengths, the whole team knew how to block beyond the 2nd level of the defense, and most importantly... there was very good QB play.

Yeah but for all those hits, what about the misses? We've picked up Green, Powell, McKnight... how many more until we get a hit?

Yeah but for all those hits, what about the misses? We've picked up Green, Powell, McKnight... how many more until we get a hit?

How can you count Powell and McKnight as misses when we've barely seen anything from them?

Last season, coming in, I predicted that McKnight would do things to make Jets fans love him. He did. He changed a lot of minds. Give any of these guys over 150 carries in a season before writing them off. Frankly, it just doesn't pay off to use early draft picks on RB. Adrian Peterson being the only exception I can think of recently.

Hell, when you can get guys like Fred Jackson out of Canada... and his O-line isn't even elite... then the problem isn't that RB's are hard to find in mid-rounds, the problem is our scouting sucks for mid-round RBs.

How can you count Powell and McKnight as misses when we've barely seen anything from them?

Last season, coming in, I predicted that McKnight would do things to make Jets fans love him. He did. He changed a lot of minds. Give any of these guys over 150 carries in a season before writing them off. Frankly, it just doesn't pay off to use early draft picks on RB. Adrian Peterson being the only exception I can think of recently.

Hell, when you can get guys like Fred Jackson out of Canada... and his O-line isn't even elite... then the problem isn't that RB's are hard to find in mid-rounds, the problem is our scouting sucks for mid-round RBs.

Our scouting seems to stink, period.

I don't agree with this philosophy that you can find feature backs in the 4th/5th/6th... it's very tough to do.

The problem with feature backs is that securing them requires feature-back draft pick investiture and at least one feature-back contract. Tannenbaum has the right idea in terms of valuing the position as a whole. The problem is that that valuation changes when your passing game is a back-alley abortion like ours is.

Diagree. We just seem to struggle with certain positions over the past 20 years or so: QB, RB, TE

We've doe a decent job drafting WR even, but those 3 positions we fail at more often than not.

Yep. This is a period of hell. Worst GM, coach, QB, RB, scouting, owner ever.

Just a reminder. In the last 15 years the Jets have had 3 losing seasons. Been to the AFC Championship game 3 times. In the history of the NY Jets since the NFL merger they have been to the AFC Championship game once before that.

In the prior 15 years before 1997 the Jets had 10 losing seasons.

In the 12 glory years of Namath they had 7 losing seasons.

Sure do miss when the Jets were good and had competent FO, CS. Ah, the good ole days

You go back and look at the box scores and such....washed up LT was the better back than Greene before he got hurt last year....mostly because he at least was a threat to do damage when he caught a ball. Greene has zero idea on how to pick up the passing game as he looks terribly awkward trying.

Greene had a decent game against SD and then had his best game against KC who wasn't even trying(which made his final season #'s somewhat respectable)

Tannenbaum has the right idea in terms of valuing the position as a whole. The problem is that that valuation changes when your passing game is a back-alley abortion like ours is.

I work out a lot and eat pizza 3 meals a day. Still can't figure out why I'm not seeing any good results on my body yet.

Greene is better than this guy thinks. Not worth paying big bucks, but a worthy starter. It's a joke that you guys are claimming that 1,000 yards on 4+ per in the 3rd round is a sign of bad scouting. Especially when you are all claiming the O line is also proof of bad scouting.

Yep. Pretty much spot on.

Yep. This is a period of hell. Worst GM, coach, QB, RB, scouting, owner ever.

Just a reminder. In the last 15 years the Jets have had 3 losing seasons. Been to the AFC Championship game 3 times. In the history of the NY Jets since the NFL merger they have been to the AFC Championship game once before that.

In the prior 15 years before 1997 the Jets had 10 losing seasons.

In the 12 glory years of Namath they had 7 losing seasons.

Sure do miss when the Jets were good and had competent FO, CS. Ah, the good ole days

Its laughable at this point. This board is so bad, they've made me of all people defend the Jets more than I ever have my entire life. lol

You go back and look at the box scores and such....washed up LT was the better back than Greene before he got hurt last year....mostly because he at least was a threat to do damage when he caught a ball. Greene has zero idea on how to pick up the passing game as he looks terribly awkward trying.

Greene had a decent game against SD and then had his best game against KC who wasn't even trying(which made his final season #'s somewhat respectable)

His 30 receptions beg to differ. His 7 receptions in one game, was a season high for any member of the Jets.

Can you line him up wide? No. Does he have outstanding hands? No. Is he someone you have to account for coming out of the backfield? Yes. And thats really all the matters.

His 30 receptions beg to differ. His 7 receptions in one game, was a season high for any member of the Jets.

Can you line him up wide? No. Does he have outstanding hands? No. Is he someone you have to account for coming out of the backfield? Yes. And thats really all the matters.

Greene as a receiver out of the backfield is something I find interesting. I don't think he is unable to catch, but the results are often terrible. I think the problems stem from a few things including the fact that he an afterthought and probably not involved much during practice, is a "hard" runner and takes a pounding and wears those big shoulder pads which make it tough for him to raise his arms - this is 10 times more difficult when dealing with a QB with accuracy issues. I think somebody posted once that his hands measured real small at the combine which also might be an issue. Generally it just seems like a lack of concentration.

Yep. Pretty much spot on.

Its laughable at this point. This board is so bad, they've made me of all people defend the Jets more than I ever have my entire life. lol

Couldn't disagree more.

Couldn't disagree more.

Well, you shouldnt. Is it nice to have a game breaker out of the backfield. Absolutely. Very few teams have one and the only one that does who scores significantly more than the Jets are the Saints. We've been down this path. Rice, McCoy - game breaking RB's out of the backfield and dont score more pts than the Jets.

Only 3 teams in the entire NFL threw to their RB's more than the Jets last season. Saints, Buffalo and San Diego. The Saints being the only team who significantly score more.

I should have clarified. The scouting seems to stink for the offense.

Mangold, Brick, Slauson, Kerley all seem like, at the least, quality players for us...

And Sanchez, Connor, and Greene are all serviceable at well, that have shown some flashes of brilliance

Mangold, Brick, Slauson, Kerley all seem like, at the least, quality players for us...

And Sanchez, Connor, and Greene are all serviceable at well, that have shown some flashes of brilliance

Keller is a solid player too. Its just a silly comment. Holmes is currently the only starter on offense the Jets didnt draft. Now, the offense has been doodoo but I think that has more to do with QB play than anything else. Other than last year, the Jets could run the ball, really well. If Sanchez gets it together, there is plenty of talent to be a very good offense.

Now, the offense has been doodoo but I think that has more to do with QB play than anything else. Other than last year, the Jets could run the ball, really well. If Sanchez gets it together, there is plenty of talent to be a very good offense.

"My Porsche would be awesome if I remembered to put an engine in it."

"My Porsche would be awesome if I remembered to put an engine in it."

There's no doubt the Jets inability to find a QB worth a sh*t for nearly 40 years is a MAJOR freakin' problem, but that's certainly a bit different than the idea that every player on that side of the ball is absolute garbage.

Archived