NY Jets Training Camp Report 08/15

JetNation

Here are some highlights of Jets training camp practice from Cortland this morning:

It was another tough day for Jets quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow as the defense piled up the interceptions.

There were some positives from the offense as Sanchez hits rookie Royce Pollard for a big gain against All-Pro CB Darrelle Revis and CB/WR Antonio Cromartie had another catch in practice today.

Final Stats for Sanchez and Tebow:

Tebow isn’t the only QB being used on special teams as Mark Sanchez practiced as the field goal holder.

Wide receiver Stephen Hill injured his finger during yesterday’s practice but x-rays showed the it was not broken. Hill should’t miss significant time and participated in practice.

Wide-outs Chaz Schilens and Jeremy Kerley are in the rehabilitation group recovering from injuries.  Kerley seems to be slowly working his way back as he participates in portions of practice.  Schilens known as “injury prone” through his career appears to be on the roster bubble.  Even with a thin receiving core Schilens needs to show that he belongs to make the 53-man roster.  WR Santonio Holmes is not at practice today receiving treatment for bruised ribs and will likely be held out till fully healthy or the first regular season game.  Linebacker Ricky Sapp and safety LaRon Landry are also in the rehab group.  Sapp is not helping his cause by remaining out of practice and will need to get back on the field as soon as possible if he wants to remain with the team.  Landry participates fully in practice some days while rehabbing his Achilles injury others, so today’s his rehab day.

Defensive linemen Sione Po’uha went for an examination yesterday for a lingering back injury and was held out of practice again today.

CB Ellis Lankster had missed some practice time with an injury but returned today grabbing an interception.  Lankster is looking to lock-up the Jets #4 cornerback spot.

Rookie safety Josh Bush is filling in for Landry with the first team defense during practice and makes the most of his opportunity with an interception.

The kicker position battle continues with Folk and Brown seemingly neck-and-neck each day in practice.

di
di

JPbGnYlgzUo

View the full article

Thats hard to read. The post, not the stuff about the offense.

Yes, sorry. I have to get the RSS import fixed. It isn't spacing things correctly (no line breaks) and the twitter import is screwed up as well.

So today's topic to spice things up a bit; evolution vs creationism, and go..

Kidding. But in all seriousness, I know our defense is phenomenal, but those QB stats are just effin awful. The only thing I'm realistically hoping for out of Mark this year is to just limit the turnovers. Do that and we get an extra win or two alone.

So today's topic to spice things up a bit; evolution vs creationism, and go..

Kidding. But in all seriousness, I know our defense is phenomenal, but those QB stats are just effin awful. The only thing I'm realistically hoping for out of Mark this year is to just limit the turnovers. Do that and we get an extra win or two alone.

ya know if you don't want to start and argument you shouldn't start your posts like that.... just sayin. :D lol

I agree with the turnover statement by the way. Easily one or two more wins without the turnovers.

ya know if you don't want to start and argument you shouldn't start your posts like that.... just sayin. :biggrin: lol

I agree with the turnover statement by the way. Easily one or two more wins without the turnovers.

What are the three things you don't talk about in a bar again? Religion, politics and was it race or something else?? I always forget the third part of the saying, it's like the third tenor...

Maybe the Giants will cut Weatherford for no apparant reason.... oh wait.... that's the Jets.

I've never seen a punter perform so well in the regular season then absolutely sh*t the bed come playoff time. Don't think he shanked a punt all year, then did so twice in one game.

What are the three things you don't talk about in a bar again? Religion, politics and was it race or something else?? I always forget the third part of the saying, it's like the third tenor...

I've never seen a punter perform so well in the regular season then absolutely sh*t the bed come playoff time. Don't think he shanked a punt all year, then did so twice in one game.

BEst directional punter in the game imo. Also at pinning teams near their own end zone. He was missed,

Maybe the Giants will cut Weatherford for no apparant reason.... oh wait.... that's the Jets.

I've commented on this several times on this board & will continue to do so. That decision was 100% Westy. Westy soured on him & that is that. U do not overrule the best ST coach in the business, period. If u want to whine about that one put it on Westy. If that's the worst thing Westy has done since he's been here, I'll take it.

No apparent reason? He didn't play in a game his first postseason here and was absolutely horrendously awful in his second postseason here. He may have finally gotten his crap together last year, but let's not pretend like he didn't more than earn his pink slip from here.

No apparent reason? He didn't play in a game his first postseason here and was absolutely horrendously awful in his second postseason here. He may have finally gotten his crap together last year, but let's not pretend like he didn't more than earn his pink slip from here.

I don't feel that way and also felt it was a bad move to cut him as soon as it happened. He was stellar for us during both of the season's you are talking about. Maybe saying NO reason was a bit strong, but the guy was an obviously talented punter especially where directional kicking was concerned.

Listen, I'm not going to get into a long debate on this one, but I also feel you don't cut someone before his viable replacement is here. Conley? Come on.

I don't feel that way and also felt it was a bad move to cut him as soon as it happened. He was stellar for us during both of the season's you are talking about. Maybe saying NO reason was a bit strong, but the guy was an obviously talented punter especially where directional kicking was concerned.

Listen, I'm not going to get into a long debate on this one, but I also feel you don't cut someone before his viable replacement is here. Conley? Come on.

I get what you're saying, but when a guy is 2 for 2 on no-shows in each season's most important games, that's not going to go over well with the team, and for good reason. As far as a replacement goes, the Jets had Conley in camp for 2 years prior to that, so they must have felt confident that he was a good option for the team. Now granted that may not have worked out as they had hoped, but I doubt they saw it as a situation where they didn't have a replacement ready. The other thing to consider is I'm pretty sure they didn't cut him, but rather his contract expired. I know that's kind of splitting hairs, but the point is there is a difference in outright making the decision to get rid of a guy already on the rosters verses not re-signing that player.

Um... they never cut Weatherford. He was a FA. They didn't tender him because they would have had to pay him $1.2M. He was actually one of the few people you could complain about them losing during the Nnamdi sweepstakes, but I'd say losing him was worth the gamble. They might have wanted him back cheaper, but I don't think Westhoff liked him much. I don't think the Giants necessarily expected him to beat out Dodge. Teams dump kickers all the time. Hell, Weatherford himself was cut by New Orleans, Jacksonville and KC before he even got here. Giants will cut him soon enough. They are into him for about $2M per and the second he declines or they get a cheaper viable option they will dump him. I'd guess around camp of 2014.

Um... they never cut Weatherford. He was a FA. They didn't tender him because they would have had to pay him $1.2M. He was actually one of the few people you could complain about them losing during the Nnamdi sweepstakes, but I'd say losing him was worth the gamble. They might have wanted him back cheaper, but I don't think Westhoff liked him much. I don't think the Giants necessarily expected him to beat out Dodge. Teams dump kickers all the time. Hell, Weatherford himself was cut by New Orleans, Jacksonville and KC before he even got here. Giants will cut him soon enough. They are into him for about $2M per and the second he declines or they get a cheaper viable option they will dump him. I'd guess around camp of 2014.

Sure. I know the revolving door kicker situation in the NFL and I'm not completely torn up about weatherford, but was just making a point. I liked him and his game was a major asset to us IMO. I think a good punter gets overlooked sometimes in this sport and it seems that teams think it's easy to find a good one. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it looks.

I feel weatherford was a good punter to have and he proved that for the Giants last season and in the superbowl. Westhoff didnt like him ever since he decided to run that fake punt all by himself and failed that time. It is what it is. I just don't agree with letting him go.

I get what you're saying, but when a guy is 2 for 2 on no-shows in each season's most important games, that's not going to go over well with the team, and for good reason. As far as a replacement goes, the Jets had Conley in camp for 2 years prior to that, so they must have felt confident that he was a good option for the team. Now granted that may not have worked out as they had hoped, but I doubt they saw it as a situation where they didn't have a replacement ready. The other thing to consider is I'm pretty sure they didn't cut him, but rather his contract expired. I know that's kind of splitting hairs, but the point is there is a difference in outright making the decision to get rid of a guy already on the rosters verses not re-signing that player.

Fair enough. I'm not sure if it was a FA thing or cut. and there is a difference I agree. My whole point (and joke really) was that we let a good punter go. It's not always so easy to fill that spot even though teams seem to think it is.

Archived