Kenrick Ellis and Quintin Coples look like monsters in the making.

SenorGato

Easily my favorite aspect of watching tonight's game, I didn't finish, was watching just how well Kenrick Ellis played tonight. I'd have to rewatch to be specific, but he looks like he'll be pushing Pouha out sooner rather than later.

I can't say enough about Coples. He's only step one in building an elite pass rush by collecting actual pass rushers (or was that Maybin?) too. He's the do-it-all Justin Tuck (except naturally bigger and more athletic) to Maybin's Osi and Sanchez's Manning. He's killed in all the preseason games, including the one I watched half of tonight.

I've always wanted a great DL...the potential of the trio that started to IMG brings tears to my eyes.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent game for both (and LeRon Landry)! The Jets will run 4-3 and rotate six D-linemen for maximum freshness, if you will, and Coples is showing why he is a steal at the 16th pick overall.

Coples is clearly better than marginal talents like the Patriots Chandler Jones, who has done little this preseason....

BD

I said in another thread that I didn't notice Coples. The way everyone's talking, I must have missed several good plays.

Ellis on the other hand? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT he was playing out of his mind! Where did this beast come from? What was his stat line - 1 sack, 1 FF (on a different play), 1 pass deflected, 3 TFL? Something like that. Damn. Mike T might have hit on this guy.

This year's DL is one of the strongest and deepest units I can have ever recall the Jets having anywhere on the team. Between Coples, Wilkerson, Pouha, Ellis, DeVito, Dixon and if this preseason is any indication, even Richardson, that is one hell of a unit. You're talking about having some backups who could easily be starters on other teams. I've been pumped about this DL all offseason long and what we've seen so far only verifies it all, if not making me feel even better about it.

This year's DL is one of the strongest and deepest units I can have ever recall the Jets having anywhere on the team. Between Coples, Wilkerson, Pouha, Ellis, DeVito, Dixon and if this preseason is any indication, even Richardson, that is one hell of a unit. You're talking about having some backups who could easily be starters on other teams. I've been pumped about this DL all offseason long and what we've seen so far only verifies it all, if not making me feel even better about it.

I can't see why? We didn't use any high draft picks or pay big money to free agents for it.

"I said in another thread that I didn't notice Coples. The way everyone's talking, I must have missed several good plays."

Sorry you missed the first quarter. It happens.....

BD

My fiancee was in the room with me, trying to get me "involved" with the wedding planning. I like her just fine but if she keeps distracting me from the things that really matter then this engagement may not last long.

Agreed. Reminds me of the Pats great 3 man front back 5 years ago or so.... Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren. With Green coming off the bench.

I see Coples as a Seymour, Ellis as a Wilfork, and Wilkerson to Ellis. Even more, DeVito as an Ellis works well too.

They looked more like Jets players to me. ;)

Compare better to something between what the Giants have assembled and what the Packers from a couple years ago had when Cullen Jenkins was there. They look awesome.

There's gotta be some genuine trade-bait in there. Jets need for a RT might've diminished a little bit last night, but the TE need increased.

Also, hate to see a player lose his starting job to an injury, but I can't imagine them not starting Ellis. The man is an absolute beast.

There's gotta be some genuine trade-bait in there. Jets need for a RT might've diminished a little bit last night, but the TE need increased.

Also, hate to see a player lose his starting job to an injury, but I can't imagine them not starting Ellis. The man is an absolute beast.

If, as Jason suspects, they're forced to make a move with Harris' salary, I wonder if they'll move to a base 4-3, with Davis in the middle.

If, as Jason suspects, they're forced to make a move with Harris' salary, I wonder if they'll move to a base 4-3, with Davis in the middle.

With the Giants success, the 4-3 seems to be coming back, and the Jets are becoming better equipped to run it. They need all of Davis, Maybin, and Sapp to start stepping up for the -3 part of the equation. The old LBs are just too big and slow for the package.

Had similar thoughts about trading a DL for help at RT or another skill position player...maybe we get lucky with the final cuts...but we are in serious trouble if Keller has to sit for any length of time.

With the Giants success, the 4-3 seems to be coming back, and the Jets are becoming better equipped to run it. They need all of Davis, Maybin, and Sapp to start stepping up for the -3 part of the equation. The old LBs are just too big and slow for the package.

I've yet to see anything from Sapp that justifies a roster position...know he's been injured...but other than some potential athletic talent what exactly can we expect from him?

I've yet to see anything from Sapp that justifies a roster position...know he's been injured...but other than some potential athletic talent what exactly can we expect from him?

I know, but that doesn't change the fact that the Jets need some quicker LBs to run the 4-3. Maybe Davis can work the strong side of Harris?

I know, but that doesn't change the fact that the Jets need some quicker LBs to run the 4-3. Maybe Davis can work the strong side of Harris?

I'd like to see more of Davis as well...hopefully he earns more playing time. Still need more youth and athleticism. At least in that regard, I like the Rex can spot talent on the defensive side of the ball.

And our coach disagrees.

But coach Rex Ryan wasn't gushing about the Jets' first-round draft pick.

"I wasn’t as happy this game as I was previously," Ryan said. "I thought he kind of got winded a bit. He kind of had a 'woe is me' when we took out the starters. Hey look, you are still a rookie, you’ve got to play the whole game and then some."

Actually it does.

Defense being great = more possessions = odds of scoring increases.

There is no push, without pull.

On a team with any sort off offense yes., On a team that is breaking pre-season records for NOT scoring a single touchdown? Little bit scary. Our D will be worth watching. Our offense will require medication to watch.

Archived