The Jets New Punter???

SoFlaJets

Google says he was cut by the Bears, signed and cut by the Jaguars, signed and cut by the BROWNS, and then we claimed him off waivers(Bears also try to snatch him up.. again). All this since he went undrafted in 2011. Has to be a reason he can't catch on somewhere.

I think Westoff cares more about direction than distance, as long as the guy's not shanking them.

yea but it would be nice to have a guy who can blast off a few 50+ yarders every now and then, especially with the offense we've had for the past 2 seasons-we are the kings of the 3 and out. I've never SEEN a Jets team have so many 3 and outs in all the years watching this team-between last year and the crap we've seen from these (meaningless, I know) pre season games...

Onto a different subject slats; I have been saying that I think that Tebow will be the starter at some point this year but I'm now starting to think that Greg McElroy might just end up the QB at some point in the season. Let's face it, if Sanchez keeps taking shots like he has been taking again, for the past 19 games or so then we're gonna NEED a new signal caller. Anybody who has watched the Jets like we all do KNOWS, that it wasn't ONLY Wayne Hunter's fault that Sanchez has been taking beatings...

yea but it would be nice to have a guy who can blast off a few 50+ yarders every now and then, especially with the offense we've had for the past 2 seasons-we are the kings of the 3 and out. I've never SEEN a Jets team have so many 3 and outs in all the years watching this team-between last year and the crap we've seen from these (meaningless, I know) pre season games...

Onto a different subject slats; I have been saying that I think that Tebow will be the starter at some point this year but I'm now starting to think that Greg McElroy might just end up the QB at some point in the season. Let's face it, if Sanchez keeps taking shots like he has been taking again, for the past 19 games or so then we're gonna NEED a new signal caller. Anybody who has watched the Jets like we all do KNOWS, that it wasn't ONLY Wayne Hunter's fault that Sanchez has been taking beatings...

Haha! Lets not make this a Tebow thread, too!

I agree, the Jets should have a punter capable of effecting field position in a real way. Westoff doesn't like when kickers outkick the coverage, though. That's all I was saying.

Haha! Lets not make this a Tebow thread, too!

I agree, the Jets should have a punter capable of effecting field position in a real way. Westoff doesn't like when kickers outkick the coverage, though. That's all I was saying.

That's what I actually find funny, after so many years there's definitely some people that still don't grasp the idea of how Westhoff likes to run his units. The entire time he's been here we've heard constant complaints about the lack of touchbacks and the punters not having a high enough average, when the truth is Westhoff's priorities have always been hang time and directional kicking, which is a big part of the reason why the Jets have hardly ever given up much in returns while Westhoff has been here, with the lone exception of Feely's time here with his crappy low line drive kickoffs (which is the perfect example of why Westhoff likes things the way does). None of that is to say that the Jets certainly couldn't upgrade at punter, but the point is that the way Westhoff runs his unit, you're never going to see the Jets near the top of the league in punting average.

That's what I actually find funny, after so many years there's definitely some people that still don't grasp the idea of how Westhoff likes to run his units. The entire time he's been here we've heard constant complaints about the lack of touchbacks and the punters not having a high enough average, when the truth is Westhoff's priorities have always been hang time and directional kicking, which is a big part of the reason why the Jets have hardly ever given up much in returns while Westhoff has been here, with the lone exception of Feely's time here with his crappy low line drive kickoffs (which is the perfect example of why Westhoff likes things the way does). None of that is to say that the Jets certainly couldn't upgrade at punter, but the point is that the way Westhoff runs his unit, you're never going to see the Jets near the top of the league in punting average.

So the best special teams coach in the league has no interest in leading the league in net punting average? In order to improve in that area, you have to have a kicker that can kick the ball further while maintaining hang time.

So the best special teams coach in the league has no interest in leading the league in net punting average? In order to improve in that area, you have to have a kicker that can kick the ball further while maintaining hang time.

Yes, ideally you want someone who can do both, there's just very few punters in the league who can actually do that with any sort of consistency. The point is, Westhoff's priority is clearly hang-time (and consistency) over distance. Since everyone around here has been sucking off Weatherford lately, just look at him as an example. There's a reason why despite the fact that Weatherford's gross punting average was better than Conley's by three yards last year, his net was better only by 0.4 yards. Or that Conley's gross punting average was 30th in the league while his net was 20th. Now none of this is to say that Conley doesn't suck, the point is the difference in Westhoff's approach. Let's not forget, when the NFL announced the change in where kickoffs would start, Westhoff immediately said he had no intention of having the Jets try to constantly boot touchbacks, but rather he saw it as an opportunity to use hang time and directional kicking as a means to pin opponents even further back.

Yes, ideally you want someone who can do both, there's just very few punters in the league who can actually do that with any sort of consistency. The point is, Westhoff's priority is clearly hang-time (and consistency) over distance. Since everyone around here has been sucking off Weatherford lately, just look at him as an example. There's a reason why despite the fact that Weatherford's gross punting average was better than Conley's by three yards last year, his net was better only by 0.4 yards. Or that Conley's gross punting average was 30th in the league while his net was 20th. Now none of this is to say that Conley doesn't suck, the point is the difference in Westhoff's approach. Let's not forget, when the NFL announced the change in where kickoffs would start, Westhoff immediately said he had no intention of having the Jets try to constantly boot touchbacks, but rather he saw it as an opportunity to use hang time and directional kicking as a means to pin opponents even further back.

I think Westhoff is doing what he should be doing and looking at Net Punting Yardage over gross. That being said, Conley is in the bottom half of the league and we need a stronger leg to improve that number. While kicking the ball far is not the be all end all of punting, having a good net yardage number starts with a good leg.

5'11" and 2 bucks is chubby? Not by JN standards. He's damn near an Adonis.

Well I wasn't trying to compare him to this illustrious bunch - particularly Crusher, but if you look at his photo with the cheeks that look like he's smuggling nuts for the winter, I'd say homeboy is closer to 230, than 200.

Well I wasn't trying to compare him to this illustrious bunch - particularly Crusher, but if you look at his photo with the cheeks that look like he's smuggling nuts for the winter, I'd say homeboy is closer to 230, than 200.

I hope to hell you are referring to his face. We have enough deviants here.

Archived