Dustin Keller likely back vs. SF

stoicsentry

Per Jets Game Plan on SNY and ESPN: http://espn.go.com/n...hill-likely-out

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets can't seem to get their offensive weapons on the field at the same time.

Tight end Dustin Keller is expected to return to the lineup this week after missing two games with a pulled hamstring, but rookie wide receiver Stephen Hill is unlikely to play Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers with the same injury, Rex Ryan said Thursday.

The second-round pick from Georgia Tech, who started the first three games, has been a non-factor since a spectacular, two-touchdown debut. He was held without a catch in the last two games, dropping a would-be touchdown against the Dolphins.

Hill will be replaced by slot receiver Jeremy Kerley or Chaz Schilens.

At least quarterback Mark Sanchez can take comfort in knowing that Keller, his middle-of-the-field security blanket, is likely to return. He's scheduled to be limited in practice for the second straight day.

"You're talking about one of the premier receiving tight ends in the league," Ryan said of Keller, who injured his hamstring in the third preseason game. "Those guys are hard to replace ... Hopefully, Dustin will be out there this week. I assume he will be."

Without Keller, Sanchez has leaned heavily on wide receiver Santonio Holmes. In fact, he targeted Holmes on 25 of his 72 pass attempts over the last two games. In Miami, Holmes tied a career high with nine receptions on 14 targets -- the most times Sanchez has ever thrown to a wide receiver in a game, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Jets expect Holmes to draw double coverage by the 49ers, so Keller's return is important because he'd give Sanchez another experienced target.

Another injury concern for the Jets is linebacker Bart Scott (toe), who may miss practice for the second day in a row. Linebacker Bryan Thomas is expected to be limited for the second straight day because of a pulled hamstring. Thomas said he expects to play Sunday.

Holmes

Keller

Kerley

Hill

Schillens

Cumberland

Powell

Greene

McKnight

Enough weapons for Sanchez? I know they all are amongst the worst players in the league at their positions, but you gotta figure there's some talent between them.

You honestly think that's a good roster?

Do you guys watch any other teams besides the Jets?

Holmes

Keller

Kerley

Hill

Schillens

Cumberland

Powell

Greene

McKnight

Enough weapons for Sanchez? I know they all are amongst the worst players in the league at their positions, but you gotta figure there's some talent between them.

Do you mean like combined? LOL

Yes, and if you did you'd see all the more reason why it's really not as bad as this board so desperately tries to paint the situation.

Do you mean like combined? LOL

That's what I was going for, yes.

Holmes

Keller

Kerley

Hill

Schillens

Cumberland

Powell

Greene

McKnight

One thing is for sure, there is no speed among that group of offensive players.

One thing is for sure, there is no speed among that group of offensive players.

From a WR standpoint the speed is fine. They're just young. Hill is a ways away.

Backs stink though. Kerley is actually a nice little player....especially with his PR ability.

I do!!!

Did you know the Jets score more points per game than 21 teams in the NFL? And basically the same amount of pts as the Patriots and the Saints?

Have you seen all the weapons on the Eagles. They score less points per game than the Jaguars!

Keller is usually very productive the first few games of a season.

This, he sure is.

It'll be good to see him back out there. I hope this is the year he explodes, like every other TE in football is doing right now. He should get 5 catches for 50 yards per game by default, TEs have matchup advantages league-wide. It'd be nice to use ours.

Holmes

Keller

Kerley

Hill

Schillens

Cumberland

Powell

Greene

McKnight

McKnight doesn't play offense anymore. Powell and Greene are teh terrible. Holmes will catch 8 balls if you throw him 15. Hill will catch 1 ball if you throw him 8. Kerley will catch everything if you take him off the sidelines. Keller will catch almost everything then fall down. Schillens should catch a flight back to Oakland.

Keller running with the 1's:

Greg Logan@GregLogan1

WR Stephen Hill was only Jet not working with unit. Doesn't mean TE Dustin Keller, FB John Conner or LB Bryan Thomas are full speed. #nyj

TE Keller lines up with first team receivers and runs pass route. #nyj

LB Bryan Thomas jogs over to LB unit after quick word w/D-coord Mike Pettine. #nyj

S Eric Smith works with DBs, WR Stephen Hill on bike, TE Dustin Keller exercising near bike area. FB John Conner working lightly. #nyj

Stephen Hill dressed but not even doing basic warmup. WR def looks out. #nyj

Archived