The Heat is on in Tampa AKA When did Bit start writing for the Tampa Trib?

flgreen

Bucs need to be bold and pursue Revis

Fennelly: Buccaneers need to be bold and go get Revis

It's assumed that Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to unload Darrelle Revis

By Martin Fennelly | Tribune Staff
Published: April 11, 2013
- Go get him.

Go get Darrelle Revis.

The Bucs want him. They'd be insane not to want him. Remember, they watched that 2012 secondary, too, a crime scene if there ever was one.

The Glazers and Bucs coach Greg Schiano and GM Mark Dominik want Revis. I think they need Revis. I'd trade a No. 13 draft pick for him in a heartbeat.

It's time to do something dynamic.

The Bucs offense is good enough to make the playoffs.

It's up to the defense to catch up.

Go get Revis.

If this team runs out the chronically unreliable Eric Wright and a-ways-to-go Leonard Johnson at starting cornerback, it should be ashamed of itself. Heads should roll if the Jets are willing and the Bucs aren't.

Understand that there are a lot of factors in any Revis deal.

The X factor is the state of Revis' surgically repaired left knee, though the thought of Revis on one leg gives me scant more pause than Eric Wright on two — and Adderall.

The Y factor is being able to get Revis to agree to the Bucs' contract structure. But it's doable — $15 million per season is not out of the Bucs' realm of thinking.

Then there's the Z, the biggest factor: Do the Jets really want to move Revis? It's assumed that Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to unload Revis, but perhaps John Idzik isn't in love with the idea of dumping Revis being his first major act as Jets GM.

You know Jets coach Rex Ryan doesn't want to lose Revis, for the precise reason Schiano needs him. The man is a game-changer.

The Bucs need to get Revis.

Here's the biggest reason why: Their offense is good enough.

We saw what Doug Martin and Vincent Jackson did, what the Bucs offense did even after losing Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks, even factoring in Josh Freeman brain cramps.

Is this offense capable of getting the Bucs to the playoffs?

Yes.

It's not about the Super Bowl. Heck, Peyton Manning didn't get the Broncos to the Super Bowl. No one guy can guarantee that. But if you think the Bucs offense is good enough to put this team in contention, but the defense is holding it back, then anything and everything should be on the table.

And the 13th pick in the draft isn't everything. It isn't mortgaging your future. The NFL is never about the future anyway. It's about now, right now.

Or maybe this franchise needs to consider its increasingly distant past. The Bucs haven't won a playoff game since they won the Super Bowl. They haven't been to the postseason since the 2007 season.

If the Bucs really feel they're close, how can they afford to not go get Revis?

You're talking about giving up a No.?13 pick, already a fuzzy part of the draft, for a known quantity — when healthy, the best cornerback in football.

You're telling me it wouldn't change any given Sunday if Drew Brees or Matt Ryan or any other QB looked over and saw Revis? They'd stop looking over after a while.

You're telling me the Bucs wouldn't be able to blitz more, or double the other team's second-best receiver, with Revis back there?

You're telling me he couldn't help the Bucs win two or three more games?

The Bucs are getting scads of free publicity from all the Revis chatter without spending a dime. Maybe they figure they can't lose, that they either get Revis or say they tried, but the Jets won't give him up.

But I think the Jets need to give him up.

And the Bucs need to go get him.

It's time for something dynamic.

It's time to go get Darrelle Revis.

You're telling me the Bucs wouldn't be able to blitz more, or double the other team's second-best receiver, with Revis back there?

No, you simply just avoid throwing to Revis and it negates his whole non-impact on the game. It's that simple. Just do not throw to your best pass catcher and the whole gameplan of the Jets with Revis is ruined. 

I dont understand. I thought the point of running an NFL team was to make sure you had cap space.  Precious precious cap space.

Aaron Rodgers is going to be making 25 million soon. How else can you pay for Aaron Rodgers?

Yeah like WAAAAY more. They actually have ambitions for victory and sh*t...We need to go through rebuild #15 to hopefully get it right. 

these things take time. the Jets have to burn it all to the ground before they can really win the right way. 

Yeah, way more. Do you need me to explain it to you? Or are you going to tangentialize the **** out of this thread too? This is your style, isn't it? Taking something that is factually, statistically clear and making it about something else.

Please feel free as I am in the mood for comedy. Tell me why the Jets don't need one of the best players in the league and please refrain from telling me that they have to start over (or anything in that vicinity of) to win. 

these things take time. the Jets have to burn it all to the ground before they can really win the right way. 

Completely agreed. This roster needs to be efficient, it needs to lose the ego, and all the other stupid sh*t people who are used to not winning attribute to winning. We NEED to pay Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews dammit. 

Yeah like WAAAAY more. They actually have ambitions for victory and sh*t...We need to go through rebuild #15 to hopefully get it right. 

Take a bong hit, pahtna.  Revis is gonzo.  The clock is ticking.

Please feel free as I am in the mood for comedy. Tell me why the Jets don't need one of the best players in the league and please refrain from telling me that they have to start over (or anything in that vicinity of) to win. 

The only comedic thing is how you just took the very notion that a team that gave up an AVERAGE of 300 yards per game last year (worst in the league)  MIGHT need an All Pro cornerback more than a team that gave up 189 yards a game (2nd in the league) and already has a Pro Bowl cornerback (and is being paid like one) and turned it into one team wanting to win while the other is drinking cyanide laced Kool Aid and shooting senators.

Take a bong hit, pahtna.  Revis is gonzo.  The clock is ticking.

It's cool. I need an out on this scummy league and franchise anyway, and this could be sufficient. 

Yeah, big shocker that it took bit and Gato all of 30 seconds to start rubbing each other off the second they saw this thread.  Sure, the Jets may not agree with them, but one whole Tampa beat writer does.  They win!

Don't be mad because your men slept in.

Rotfl the Jets don't agree with them...Yet Revis is a Jet...after the first was on the table...after they moved the offer to better than the one the Vikings got for Harvin...Don't let that get in the way of you being in-your-own-head right!...So long as you guys just get to say unfounded nonsense and call it quality, I will do the same. 

The only comedic thing is how you just took the very notion that a team that gave up an AVERAGE of 300 yards per game last year (worst in the league)  MIGHT need an All Pro cornerback more than a team that gave up 189 yards a game (2nd in the league) and already has a Pro Bowl cornerback (and is being paid like one) and turned it into one team wanting to win while the other is drinking cyanide laced Kool Aid and shooting senators.

All Pro is better than Pro Bowl. They can have the Pro Bowl CB if they want. 

Trading Revis, even *wanting* to trade Revis which luckily I still take with a grain of salt (maybe two grains), is a sign that the Jets have no plan on winning any time soon. Good for them, it's been one hell of a plan for 40+ years anyway. Just keep selling the future! 

The Y factor is being able to get Revis to agree to the Bucs' contract structure. But it's doable — $15 million per season is not out of the Bucs' realm of thinking.

$15M per season is out of the Jets' realm of thinking.

But I'm sure the rest of the article is based in fact, and that line is pure fiction.

Trading Revis, even *wanting* to trade Revis which luckily I still take with a grain of salt (maybe two grains), is a sign that the Jets have no plan on winning any time soon. Good for them, it's been one hell of a plan for 40+ years anyway. Just keep selling the future! 

You're exhausting.

How can you be wrong when you're arguing points that YOU introduce, leaving us miles from where we started?

My sources introduce the points. They are very familiar with the thinking of Revis and Idzik and Woody. He talks to his similarly anonymous and familiar sources.

Which points were these anyway? 

I dont understand. I thought the point of running an NFL team was to make sure you had cap space.  Precious precious cap space.

i think you are smarter than this comment. of course we all know its about winning. just focussing on the cap space aspect is short-sighted. the reason why cap space i smor eimportant to us right now is because we have ALOT of positions on a less than mkediocre team that need to be upgraded...some of which are expensive positions. quarterback, runningback, multiple linebackers including a dominant pass rushing linebacker, possibly NT, O-line, wide receivers.......the list is too long for thi steam to be spending so much money on a cornerback when we also have cromartie who is pretty good in his own right. the moneywe woul dhave to spend on rfevis is better spent upgrading other portions of this talent deficient team.

It's cool. I need an out on this scummy league and franchise anyway, and this could be sufficient. 

Don't be mad because your men slept in.

Rotfl the Jets don't agree with them...Yet Revis is a Jet...after the first was on the table...after they moved the offer to better than the one the Vikings got for Harvin...Don't let that get in the way of you being in-your-own-head right!...So long as you guys just get to say unfounded nonsense and call it quality, I will do the same. 

It's amazing how the value of beat reporting changes so drastically from story to story based entirely around how much the specific item in question supports your cause.  Multiple reports about Revis' contract demands are meaningless, but one report that the Jets may have been offered Tampa's first this year (after weeks of reporting that Tampa refuses to put it on the table, and would only offer next year's), is suddenly gold?  Still, even if we assume that is all true, none of that does a thing to support the notion that the Jets find him so invaluable, considering that not only are they offering him up for trade, but there has yet to be a single report of them making Revis any sort of contract offer themselves.

wouldnt it be great if we could pay any of our players whatevewr they wanted and didnt have to worry about a salary cap to be capable of upgrading the rest of our team also? ahhh to be the yankees of the nfl!!!!

wouldnt it be great if we could pay any of our players whatevewr they wanted and didnt have to worry about a salary cap to be capable of upgrading the rest of our team also? ahhh to be the yankees of the nfl!!!!

That would be great.

Luckily the Jets don't even have to do that to come up with a competent plan that keeps Revis around.

Archived