Stephen Hill Ready to Make Second-Year Jump

flgreen

I remember reading somewhere how somebody broke down some of his biggest drops that had they been caught could have won us 4-6 games. Does anybody else remember that thread? He was THE WORST WR prospect drafted that high by the Jets that I have seen since Johnny Lam Jones. And THAT is saying a lot. I have little hope that this guy will ever amount to anything but unfortunately he will be a Jet for another 3-4 years regardless of what he does or doesn't do. the Jets just don't give up on high draft picks for at least 4 years. Could be one of the reasons why we never can get over the hump. That is the one thing that I like about the way NE and Beli run their business up there, if a guy sucks, they cut him, it doesn't matter if he's a first rounder 6 months before or not. If he ain't good, he is as good as GONE.

This makes very little sense.  Hill was a 2nd round pick, 43 overall.  Johnny Lam Jones was the 2nd overall pick. lmfao

Knock the pick all you wont, I have my doubts, but many experts thought Hill was the best WR prospect in the draft outside of Justin Blackmon and he ended up being the 4th WR taken in the draft (Blackmon, Wright, Jenkins and Quick).  Blackmon and Wright had decent seasons.  He out performed both, Quick (11 receptions) and Jenkins who had zero and I'm not sure he ever saw the field.  He put up very similar numbers as Alshon Jeffrey, and he's not playing with a QB anywhere near as good as Cutler.

So, everyone knew he was raw, he out performed 2 WR's taken ahead of him and put up very similar numbers as the guy taken a few spots in back of him playing with a much worse QB but the Jets should give up on him?  The Jets should wait 3-4 years on him because they took him knowing he was a project.

And your statement about the Pats is ridiculous.  No team has ever cut a 1st round prospect 6 months after being drafted.  They've held on to plenty a sh*tty players waiting for them to develop.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JiF say what you want, THINK what you want, I think and I say that he sucks-plain and simple-he is terrible and if he was a Pats receiver he would be fighting for a roster spot right now, not ASSURED one like he is with the Jets.

JiF say what you want, THINK what you want, I think and I say that he sucks-plain and simple-he is terrible and if he was a Pats receiver he would be fighting for a roster spot right now, not ASSURED one like he is with the Jets.

That's fair.  Your take is very rational and makes a lot of sense.  They should cut their 2nd round project WR from last season because you think the sucks.  I like it.  Solid logic right there.  Good contribution. 

I really hope what Tommy says happens: David Garrard is named starter. We've all seen that guy play and win games. He has something that Sanchez doesn't possess-self confidence and better accuracy especially on those 20-30 yard throws across the middle. I fear that Sanchez is already a broken toy. I mean 1 thing you have to give Sanchez is that he is tough, so tough that I would be sitting here HOPING he gets banged up enough to be sent to the bench. Strangely though, that never seems to happen when you WANT it to happen.

When's the last time Garrard started and won a game? 3 years ago?

No offense Jimmy, but... 

You don't cut a WR that you drafted AS a project, in his second year, after his first year was impacted by and injury and the QB you just added 2 new QBs to supplant.

You just don't do it.

The comparison to the Patriots is infantile logic. They have Brady, they have had veteran WRs to keep them from having to have to lean on rookies for immediate impact, and the last 2nd rounder they used on a WR I think was Chad Jackson, and even that bum got 2 years before they released him... BUT when they released him they loaded up on veteran WRs even more.

We don't have the luxuries right now that New England has, that affords them the flexibility. We don't have Brady.

I'm not saying they should cut him but I think he should have to make the team on skill and ability the same as any other player. With the Jets that's just not how they do business and what I 'AM' saying is that that is how New England DOES. The year that Brandon Meriweather was their 1st round pick they had either 13 or 11 draft picks that year and by the time the clock struck the New Year he was the ONLY draftee left on the team.

This makes very little sense.  Hill was a 2nd round pick, 43 overall.  Johnny Lam Jones was the 2nd overall pick. lmfao

Knock the pick all you wont, I have my doubts, but many experts thought Hill was the best WR prospect in the draft outside of Justin Blackmon and he ended up being the 4th WR taken in the draft (Blackmon, Wright, Jenkins and Quick).  Blackmon and Wright had decent seasons.  He out performed both, Quick (11 receptions) and Jenkins who had zero and I'm not sure he ever saw the field.  He put up very similar numbers as Alshon Jeffrey, and he's not playing with a QB anywhere near as good as Cutler.

So, everyone knew he was raw, he out performed 2 WR's taken ahead of him and put up very similar numbers as the guy taken a few spots in back of him playing with a much worse QB but the Jets should give up on him?  The Jets should wait 3-4 years on him because they took him knowing he was a project.

And your statement about the Pats is ridiculous.  No team has ever cut a 1st round prospect 6 months after being drafted.  They've held on to plenty a sh*tty players waiting for them to develop.  

Hill started a couple games more than Jeffrey and Cutler went to Brandon Marshall whenever he was open (which is plenty).

Jeffrey looked pretty good as a rookie (until he broke his hand).  I took him in like the 16th round of my FF draft so I watched a bunch of games with him.  I didn't remember seeing the type of drops Hill committed.  At the same time, Cutler never underthrew lollipops to Jeffrey by 10 yards while running into the EZ with a 15 yard lead on the coverage.  And the 2 TDs in Hill's first game he was just as open.  The guy can clearly run fast enough to beat almost anybody.

If he runs better routes - both in accuracy and in how quickly he makes his cuts, while a man is covering him - and gets to the point where that becomes more instinct than always thinking about his route, then I think the drops will go away.  If - yes, IF - that occurs the guy will be super dangerous with a real QB.

Best case scenario is that Hill follows the Roddy White path. White was considered a bust when Vick was there throwing the ball into the stands, but once Matt Ryan showed up and started throwing the ball where it was supposed to go, White became a top-10 receiver. Obviously, we don't have Matt Ryan, but Garrard might be able to provide some consistency at QB.

Alex Van Dyke.

1st pick of 2nd round in the Keyshawn draft.

Played for the Jets for 3 years and the Eagles for 2.  Total career production:  26 receptions, 219 yds, 3 TDs

Hill did about that in his first season.  Can we stop trying to make him out to be a failure.  It's understood that the media needs to be a collective bag of douchenozzles about every player we draft, but we really can aspire to do a little better than that, can't we?

I'm not saying they should cut him but I think he should have to make the team on skill and ability the same as any other player. With the Jets that's just not how they do business and what I 'AM' saying is that that is how New England DOES. The year that Brandon Meriweather was their 1st round pick they had either 13 or 11 draft picks that year and by the time the clock struck the New Year he was the ONLY draftee left on the team.

lmfao - they had 1 pick in the first 3 rounds that year.  A 1st rounder they used on Meriweather.  They had 1 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 4 in the 6, and 2 in the 7.  A little different than cutting a 2nd round WR who you drafted knowing full well he was a project.

And what competition is Hill up against?  He's going to make the team battling with Clyde Gates and Jordan White.

Hill started a couple games more than Jeffrey and Cutler went to Brandon Marshall whenever he was open (which is plenty).

Jeffrey looked pretty good as a rookie (until he broke his hand).  I took him in like the 16th round of my FF draft so I watched a bunch of games with him.  I didn't remember seeing the type of drops Hill committed.  At the same time, Cutler never underthrew lollipops to Jeffrey by 10 yards while running into the EZ with a 15 yard lead on the coverage.  And the 2 TDs in Hill's first game he was just as open.  The guy can clearly run fast enough to beat almost anybody.

If he runs better routes - both in accuracy and in how quickly he makes his cuts, while a man is covering him - and gets to the point where that becomes more instinct than always thinking about his route, then I think the drops will go away.  If - yes, IF - that occurs the guy will be super dangerous with a real QB.

And?

lmfao - they had 1 pick in the first 3 rounds that year.  A 1st rounder they used on Meriweather.  They had 1 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 4 in the 6, and 2 in the 7.  A little different than cutting a 2nd round WR who you drafted knowing full well he was a project.

And what competition is Hill up against?  He's going to make the team battling with Clyde Gates and Jordan White.

And?

My point is that Sanchez - garbage QB that he was - wasn't the only reason Hill's rookie numbers were similar to Jeffrey's.  

Rueben Randle should have been the pick. that guy can catch. 

Jets were looking for a super-burner deep threat (and with Rex/Sparano's stone age offense) who is also a solid and willing blocker.  Randle is none of that.

Look, you know these guys as prospects way better than I do, but the stuff I read said Randle, with noticeably less speed (4.55) than other prospects like Hill (4.36), projected to be much more of a possession receiver than a true burner.  

I don't think anyone expected Hill to be better as a rookie (or even in year 2) than Randle, Jeffery, and others in that draft class.  But (should he pan out), his ceiling is higher; his size + speed + vertical made him a very special prospect, he's supposed to be a high character guy, and was a very willing blocker at GT.  If he doesn't pan out then he's a super-bust in a long list of combine workout warriors.

Jets were looking for a super-burner deep threat (and with Rex/Sparano's stone age offense) who is also a solid and willing blocker. Randle is none of that.

Look, you know these guys as prospects way better than I do, but the stuff I read said Randle, with noticeably less speed (4.55) than other prospects like Hill (4.36), projected to be much more of a possession receiver than a true burner.

I don't think anyone expected Hill to be better as a rookie (or even in year 2) than Randle, Jeffery, and others in that draft class. But (should he pan out), his ceiling is higher; his size + speed + vertical made him a very special prospect, he's supposed to be a high character guy, and was a very willing blocker at GT. If he doesn't pan out then he's a super-bust in a long list of combine workout warriors.

Stephen Hill is the receiver an accountant would draft. Randle is the one a scout would draft.

I like Hill as  prospect.  I remember last season people on here were calling for the Jets to draft him at 16, which I thought was goofy, but in the  2nd round I thought he was a steal.

As pointed out above, he was very raw, and as Bit pointed out  he already had a history of dropping the ball after he had dusted the CB for a TD.

Guy had a disappointing season, but seems to have a great work ethic.  The idea that he didn’t go home, but stayed in NY to rehab his knee at the facility, is very encouraging.  The new CBA rule that coaches can’t even talk to a player until a certain date really hurts a player like Hill, who wants to learn.

I still have a lot of confidence in him.  With his natural skills, and his apparent desire to work hard and learn, I still think he is going to be an impact WR

Stephen Hill is the receiver an accountant would draft. Randle is the one a scout would draft.

I'm not a big Tannenbaum fan at the moment, but he's hardly the only one who had Hill higher than Randle.  I don't think we'll know the wisdom (or otherwise) of the pick for a couple of years since Hill was expected to be somewhat of a project.  If he pans out as hoped, no one will care that we took a project higher than a more established prospect.

I'm not a big Tannenbaum fan at the moment, but he's hardly the only one who had Hill higher than Randle. I don't think we'll know the wisdom (or otherwise) of the pick for a couple of years since Hill was expected to be somewhat of a project. If he pans out as hoped, no one will care that we took a project higher than a more established prospect.

Where was Hill ranked before he and his 22 catches ran a 4.3 in shorts?

. ...Randle, with noticeably less speed (4.55) than other prospects like Hill (4.36), projected to be much more of a possession receiver than a true burner.  

I thought it was understood that a WR with a 4.5 40 yard dash was too slow.    :confused0088:

Archived