Garrard replacements?

Jetsfan80

As opposed to an offensive lineman, a wr, or any other professional in the league? They don't handle the media and "outside stuff"?

? what o linemen becomes the face of a franchise and has all the expectations a qb does?

id hope the young qb isnt taking mechanical tips from the vet -- thats what a qb coach is for

but a qb coach cant tech a young person the tips of surviving the nfl as a qb.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name the bright young QB's in the league and tell me who their veteran backups were that made them better quarterbacks and how they did it.

Who made Russel Wilson better? Matt Flynn?

Did Rex Grossman make RG III better?

Andrew Luck obviously got better because his dad was a quarterback in 1932.

And what the **** did Matt Hasselbeck do to Jake Locker that he's been terrible so far??

Name the bright young QB's in the league and tell me who their veteran backups were that made them better quarterbacks and how they did it.

Who made Russel Wilson better? Matt Flynn?

Did Rex Grossman make RG III better?

Andrew Luck obviously got better because his dad was a quarterback in 1932.

And what the **** did Matt Hasselbeck do to Jake Locker that he's been terrible so far??

aaron rodgers

matt flynn

tom brady

ben rothlsburger

ummmmm eli kinda

flacco

matt ryan

to name a few

As opposed to an offensive lineman, a wr, or any other professional in the league? They don't handle the media and "outside stuff"?

Also, now let me get this straight, because it's obviously very easy, but weren't many qb coaches professional players OR have spent a good amount of time around the game and all the "outside stuff"?

You know what else isn't that hard? To see that you're full of sh*t, you've never even been within sniffing distance of a professional locker room. How about you give me an example of this precious advice about "outside stuff"? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Someone piss in your cereal this morning? Jeeesus. Whether you choose to believe it or not, learning from a veteran is pretty widely accepted. While it's true you could learn from a veteran Olineman or WR, you don't spend nearly as much time with them as you would with a fellow QB; between QB meetings, positional drills, studying film you spend much more time with your fellow QBs than anyone else.  You mention that the above poster is full of sh*t, yet anyone who's played the sport at any level above JV football would know how much more time you spend with your own positional teammates.  

This isn't just how to be a QB, but ranges from how to maintain a proper diet, approach practice properly (which college kids have no idea how to prepare for a practice), how to work out appropriately, navigate the media and even how to watch film.  Yes, a great QB will most likely be great regardless, but it can't hurt the learning curve to have a proper support system.  Look no further than Steve Young admitting how a beaten down Joe Montana helped him learn how to prepare for practice, something he never knew how to do.  Same goes for Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe; Tom Brady is a first ballot HOFer and has admitted to learning a ton from Drew.   

well both our points are impossible to prove

i just think my position is much more likely

but like broadway said. Even tom brady has admitted to learning a ton from his vet qb

Okay, I'll look for all the quotes from great quarterbacks that don't mention their mentors. Oh wait...

I think the thing I really have a problem with is the things that we know accept as gospel truth.

You always have to have a  sh*tty forty year old quarterback to teach your young quarterback how to be a quarterback (better go out and get one before they're all gone!)

You always have to have one bruising, slow footed pounding running back and one fast, shifty, speed back

Wide receivers always take three years to develop

etc.

etc.

Okay, I'll look for all the quotes from great quarterbacks that don't mention their mentors. Oh wait...

well id look at it this way

rookie qbs who start from day 1 and are super sucessfull are rare. Thats why this year was so crazy

but again everyone i listed had a vet in a mentoriship role in some respect. And those guys are sucessfull id say

well id look at it this way

rookie qbs who start from day 1 and are super sucessfull are rare. Thats why this year was so crazy

but again everyone i listed had a vet in a mentoriship role in some respect. And those guys are sucessfull id say

Russel Wilson

Andrew Luck

RGIII

Ryan Tannehill

Matt Ryan

Cam Newton

How do you know it wasn't their QB coaches that helped them become what they are? Or their own innate talent? How do you know that Tom Brady doesn't become Tom Brady without Drew Bledsoe or Aaron Rodgers without Brett Favre (who I'm sure was all over reaching out to him, helping him out any way he could)

Russel Wilson

Andrew Luck

RGIII

Ryan Tannehill

Matt Ryan

Cam Newton

How do you know it wasn't their QB coaches that helped them become what they are? Or their own innate talent? How do you know that Tom Brady doesn't become Tom Brady without Drew Bledsoe or Aaron Rodgers without Brett Favre (who I'm sure was all over reaching out to him, helping him out any way he could)

didnt you read my last thing?

rookies who come in start right away and are great are very rare. Why do you think everyones freaking out over rg3 luck and wilson? They arnt the norm

also im not saying they wouldnt be amazing. Im saying youd see a different tom brady when it comes to the media or how he handles the team

ps: favre is on record as saying he didnt reach out at all to rodgers. But that doesnt matter at all because all rodgers had to do was watch. Watch how favre commanded the locker room, watch how favre handled being face of franchise etc.

edit: and no it wasnt the qb coach. Hes the coach. You know coaches mechanics and reads... not how to be a leader or how to handle the media...

I could really give a crap about the mentoring thing. I just want another QB on the roster who might be better than Sanchez and McElroy. I thought Garrard had a very good chance to be the theam's opening day starter. That was really the best case scenario; letting Geno take it slowly while simultaneously keeping Sanchez on the bench.

Batch and Leftwich might be able to bring the mentoring, but to me, that's just gravy. I like them as guys who could potentially fill that opening day starter role.

There are some serious pitfalls involved in Sanchez or Geno starting the season opener. Sanchez needs to leave New York yesterday. If there was even a sliver of a chance this kid could get it together here, the fans are going to rip it from him the first fumble or bad pass he throws. It's unlikely Sanchez could get thru his first offensive series without one or the other. Meanwhile, Geno would probably be better served marinating on the sideline for a couple months.

The QB coach is usually a 35 year-old dude getting his first real shot at making a living in the NFL, whose future rests directly in the hands of the 22 year-old kids he gets to coach. All he cares about is how that kid performs on Sundays so he can one day get a shot at a six-figure OC gig.

The mentor can teach the same kid everything else--how to handle media, how to respond to hard coaching, what nights of the week it's ok to be out until 5:30 am trolling for supermodels, which financial advisors to avoid, where his agents are screwing him over, how to mask a weed addiction, how to avoid getting groupies pregnant, how to not let your fifty cousins leech off of you, etc, etc.

didnt you read my last thing?

rookies who come in start right away and are great are very rare. Why do you think everyones freaking out over rg3 luck and wilson? They arnt the norm

also im not saying they wouldnt be amazing. Im saying youd see a different tom brady when it comes to the media or how he handles the team

ps: favre is on record as saying he didnt reach out at all to rodgers. But that doesnt matter at all because all rodgers had to do was watch. Watch how favre commanded the locker room, watch how favre handled being face of franchise etc.

edit: and no it wasnt the qb coach. Hes the coach. You know coaches mechanics and reads... not how to be a leader or how to handle the media...

Well, we may be witnessing a paradigm shift in the way rookie QB's are handled. There has always been this perception that you absolutely had to hold a clipboard for at minimum of eight and a half games before you were ready to play, unless your name was Peyton Manning or John Elway. I do not think it's coincidence that all of these rookies have been playing well these last couple of years.

David Carr started from Day 1 and he has been sh*t. He's gotten progressively sh*ttier and I don't think it was for a lack of mentor, more for lack of an offensive line. Or maybe, just maybe he was going to be a less sh*ttier level of the sh*t he became.

If Geno is the best QB in camp, let him start from day one. David Garrard can call him on lonely Saturday nights.

Well, we may be witnessing a paradigm shift in the way rookie QB's are handled. There has always been this perception that you absolutely had to hold a clipboard for at minimum of eight and a half games before you were ready to play, unless your name was Peyton Manning or John Elway. I do not think it's coincidence that all of these rookies have been playing well these last couple of years.

David Carr started from Day 1 and he has been sh*t. He's gotten progressively sh*ttier and I don't think it was for a lack of mentor, more for lack of an offensive line. Or maybe, just maybe he was going to be a less sh*ttier level of the sh*t he became.

If Geno is the best QB in camp, let him start from day one. David Garrard can call him on lonely Saturday nights.

i have no problem with geno starting.

Garrard wasnt realistically gonna challenge him for the job. Im saying garrard as the number 2 woulda been beneficial to geno.

now he has sanchez and mcelroy behind him lol.

Why does everyone on this board act as though geno was the 1 st pick in the draft not the 39 th! He's not luck Griffey or Wilson ! I really don't think we have a QB and prob need to draft another next yr

we should not write Geno off just as we should not hope the Jets hands him the starting job. It's gonna come down to performance, which is a good change. 

Archived