Live Chat with Cimini

flgreen

Chat with Rich Cimini

Advertisement  

Print

Auto Update: On
SportsNation
Welcome to SportsNation! On Thursday, ESPNNewYork.com writer Rich Cimini stops by to chat about the Jets.

Cimini, longtime Jets beat writer for the New York Daily News and a Syracuse University graduate, covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Send your questions now and join Cimini Thursday at 2 p.m. ET!

More Rich Cimini: Search | ESPNNewYork.com | Chats | Blog | @RichCimini

Rich Cimini
  (2:02 PM)

Hello, everyone. Thanks for checking in. Let's get to it.

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich,Ok only day two with OTA's but Sanchez turnovers already please it's enough. I think they will sign another veteran QB and if Geno can handle it Sanchez will never play another game for the Jets again. Thoughts?

Rich Cimini
  (2:03 PM)

I see it as Geno's job to win. Question is, who's out there to bring in? You want Charlie Batch? Leftwich? Slim pickings.

Chris Fiegler (Latham,NY)

What 2013 NFL Draft Selections will Play for the Jets on Opening Day?

Rich Cimini
  (2:05 PM)

Without question, Richardson will start. Milliner will start, too, assuming he's healthy in camp. Geno? Hard to say at this point. As I just told Ira, it's his job to win. I think Brian Winters has a chance at guard.

Jack (Denton, TX)

Hi Rich,Could you give us the particulars on Sanchez's contract. Is he owed any guaranteed money after 2013?

Rich Cimini
  (2:06 PM)

No. It's all this year -- $8.25M in base pay, all guaranteed, plus a $500k workout bonus that he's currently earning on a daily basis.

Alex (Anaheim)

Do you think there will be a consistent starter at QB this year or is the position more likely to rotate?

Rich Cimini
  (2:07 PM)

I don't think "rotate" is the right word. I will say this: The Jets must form a strong opinion on Geno this season. To me, that means playing a lot -- 8, 10 games, maybe more. They need to know because they might be in position to draft another QB next year.

Vinny (Stony brook LI)

How does Antonio Allen look? I heard he started at safety in practice. I think with a little time and work he can be a playmaker

Rich Cimini
  (2:09 PM)

Allen got a lot of work yesterday as the starter. We know he can play in the box and blitz, which he did in college. The question is his pass coverage. If he can be consistent in that area and grasp the offense, I think he had a good chance to start.

Gareth (louisana)

After watching one OTA, would you say the INTs are on the QBs are great plays by the D?

Rich Cimini
  (2:10 PM)

Smith's INT wasn't his fault at all. The ball sailed through the WR's hands, deflected off a defender and McIntyre caught the deflection. At least 2 of Sanchez's 3 INTs were on him.

Glenn (Morristown, NJ)

Hi Rich great job as always. If you were in Mr. Idzik's shoes what would you do with Mike Goodson? I would hate to lose him because I was very excited for the running back core with him, Ivory and Powell. Would you keep him or send a message and cut him?

Rich Cimini
  (2:12 PM)

I wouldn't be able to cut him until I know all the facts in the case. I'd let the legal process play out. It's only May, there's no rush. If you cut him now, you have virtually no shot at recovering the signing bonus.

Matt (Madison)

Which is your favorite burger stop near Florham Park - 5 Guys or Smashburger?

Rich Cimini
  (2:13 PM)

Clearly, this is a more compelling question than Sanchez vs. Smith. I must confess, I'm partial to 5 Guys, but in the interest of fairness, I must say I've never been to Smash. I have to get there. Heard good things.

Keith S (Cary NC)

hi Rich...Why didn't the Jets sign Brian Hoyer...especially with the Bradu /Belichick connection?

Rich Cimini
  (2:14 PM)

The Jets weren't interested in Hoyer, Keith. That was a false report.

Angelo (Philadelphia)

Great job as always Rich. Was there a guy you saw at OTAs yesterday that impressed you?

Rich Cimini
  (2:15 PM)

Yeah, a few guys stood out -- Richardson, Cromartie, Hayden Smith, Kerley, McKnight (looks thinner, quicker). And, of course, Big Snacks, who picked off Sanchez.

Bryan (CT)

Rich- it looks like Stephen Hill is off to a slow start this preseason. What players do you think need to produce this year in order for the Jets to have success? (Other than better play at the QB position!)

Rich Cimini
  (2:17 PM)

This is a HUGE year for Hill. He has to be better than last year. Other key guys: Ivory, Holmes (need him healthy), Coples, Davis ... I could go on and on.

John (Hillsdale NJ)

How do you think Idzik will handle the latest "anonymous" player talking out today about Sanchez?

Rich Cimini
  (2:19 PM)

I don't think he will chase ghosts.

The Unit (Southold, NY)

Does Coples move to OLB tell us more about what the Jets think of Richardson as a DL, or what they think of Coples so far?

Rich Cimini
  (2:21 PM)

You know, that's a great question. For now, I think it's their way of trying to get two talented players on the field. I say, why not go to a 4-3? That would solve the problem.

Anthony (Canadian in Mich)

Rich, nice job as usual. Opinionated question I want to throw at you. Am I the only one that thinks the jets should look into trading or even releasing David Harris? The guy gets paid a ridiculous amount of money and was horrible last year. Throughout his career he's been inconsistent. He's not great in coverage, has missed a lot of tackles recently and can't really provide pressure because he's so slow. Don't you think the Jets should look at a way to move him so they can use that money in a more reasonable manner? We ensured a rebuild by getting rid of one of our best players EVER, why not continue it?

Rich Cimini
  (2:22 PM)

No doubt, Harris had a subpar year, but they won't (and can't) move him. I think about $9M of his salary is guaranteed. He's not going anywhere. He's a good player who had an off year. He deserves another shot.

Sal (San Diego)

What do anticipate the Jets to do at TE? Additionally, is TE a priority in Mornhinweg's offensive scheme? I've heard a few nice things about Hayden Smith's development but he doesn't appear to be the answer.

Rich Cimini
  (2:24 PM)

TE and S are probably the two weakest positions on the team. Smith jumped out yesterday. He looks more confident than a year ago, when he was a rugby player learning football. Cumberland and Reuland? They're role players.

Kevin (NYC)

Rich, great work as always. Are you detecting any change in any aspect of Sanchez that would give fans hope that he can turn things around? Is he finally growing up, or are we going to get the same guy as last year?

Rich Cimini
  (2:25 PM)

It's a fair question, Kevin, but there's no way to tell. Too early. Players and coaches talk a good game, but we never know until the real games start. Remember a year ago, when Sparano was going to cure Sanchez's turnover problems? How'd that work out? Take everything with a grain of salt.

Bill H (Hoboken)

Hi Rich... if Sanchez doesn't show any signs of improvement this offseason and Geno just isn't quite ready yet... do they risk rushing Geno into the starting role to start the season? Or do you think they'll find a veteran? You could always stick Sanchez in as the starter for a couple of weeks, but he'll be scrutinzed for every step. Thanks Rich!

Rich Cimini
  (2:28 PM)

They won't rush Geno if he's not ready. In that case, they'd go with Sanchez. It could be rough seas for a few weeks as they learn a new offense. They'd rather have Sanchez in that situation than the young kid.

randy (new york)

do you think ducasse is going to make it or are we looking at another gholston

Rich Cimini
  (2:29 PM)

Vlad actually got some first-team reps yesterday at RG. it's not the same as Gholston. Vlad was a late 2, Gholston a high 1. Big difference.

D (NNJ)

What are your first impressions of Richardson at OTAs?

Rich Cimini
  (2:30 PM)

Quick. Explosive. Moves well laterally. He'd be a perfect 3 technique, a la Warren Sapp, in a 4-3.

Josh (DC)

Is there any chance we could bring back Braylon?

Rich Cimini
  (2:31 PM)

Lot of Braylon questions today. I wouldn't rule it out, but it's not on the frontburner.

Christian (North Jersey)

I can't understand why they let Keller walk when his contract from the Dolphins was not exuberant. I believe this offense would be much more respected with Keller. Why do you think they let him walk? Injury concerns? New GM?

Rich Cimini
  (2:32 PM)

You're preaching to the choir. They could've kept him for a year and re-assessed in '14. I think Idzik was determined to get rid of everybody, regardless of resume or salary.

Mugato (Nevaland)

Its incredible that the Jets have yet to release Mike Goodson. Perefect oppurtunity to prove a point and nothing no release. Clearly, Idzik doesnt not want to admit to going 0 for 2 on his priority free agent signees, thoughts?

Rich Cimini
  (2:33 PM)

I don't think it's about admitting anything, although it appears he missed on Garrard and Goodson. Look, Idzik is very deliberate. He doesn't make any hasty big decisions. Took his time with Revis and Tebow and it looks like he'll do the same here.

Mugato (Nevaland)

Rich, why is Rex so enamored with Mark Sanchez.? He is always protecting him. Perfect example was yesterday, Rex said that he also did some great things along with his poor play. A reporter, at press conference really put him on the spot when he asked him "when is enough enough with mark" and he just spinned it. But when he talked about Geno, first thing that came out of his mouth was that he struggled. Do you get any sense that Rex will always favor Mark?

Rich Cimini
  (2:35 PM)

That was a great question by Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports. But what was Rex supposed to say? If we injected him with truth serum, he'd say, "I'm tired of Sanchez and I want a new QB, but I'm not sure if the kid can do it, either."

Rich Cimini
  (2:36 PM)

No to Rhodes. Maybe on Edwards. I honestly don't know on Winslow. I wouldn't rule out Eric Smith.

Paul-Michael (Staten Island)

Rich, I think it's too early to count Sanchez out. If he has a season similar to 2009, do the Jets hold on to him, or would it take a miracle for them to not cut him next season?

Rich Cimini
  (2:37 PM)

I think you mean 2010. He didn't play great in 2009. It's probably his last year.

EMA (EMA)

What color was Mark Sanchez's headband today?

Rich Cimini
  (2:38 PM)

Damn, I knew I forgot to mention something in yesterday's story. I think it was more of a clear headband. Feel better?

mjc (SF)

Rich will they let Chris Ivory catch the ball on 3rd downs or is he going to be a 2 down back?

Rich Cimini
  (2:39 PM)

He'll be a 2-down back, although I must say, he made a great move on Harris yesterday. Made a short reception and spun away from Harris, leaving him in the dust.

Rich DiMarco (Kennett Square,PA)

What is Jets official position on Goodson? Do you think he will be released?

Rich Cimini
  (2:40 PM)

Their official position is they have no position.

D (NNJ)

Any speculation on who is the "unnamed Jet" who spoke to Mike Freeman in regards to how the majority of the team wants Sanchez replaced as starting QB?

Rich Cimini
  (2:40 PM)

Sorry, but it's a non-story.

Eric (Iceland)

Do you think Hayden Smith can emerge as a legit TE this year? Im hoping so, bc im terrified of Cumberland being the best option

Rich Cimini
  (2:42 PM)

The preseason will be huge for Smith. He needs a lot of reps, and then we'll see.

Wayne (ny)

Biggest problem I see for Sanchez in the west coast offense is that he is terrible at the short passes and screens. gets a lot batted down at the line. Any chance Mcelroy is still in the mix?

Rich Cimini
  (2:43 PM)

Good point on the short passes. McElroy can make the team, but I don't see him as a legit starting option. Yesterday, he was No. 4, working behind Simms. That may have been just a one-day thing, however.

Mike (New Jersey)

Who is the guy that will be the most pleasant surprise this season?

Rich Cimini
  (2:45 PM)

good question, Mike. Lemme throw out a few names -- Hayden Smith, Aaron Berry, Antonio Allen and Demario Davis.

Gary (Chappaqua)

Before he got injured last year I heard a lot of rumblings from you and others regarding John Griffin the RB from UMass. I saw he is still on the roster this year. How has he looked / any chance he makes the final 53?

Rich Cimini
  (2:46 PM)

Looked good yesterday. Wearing No. 24. Someone remind me, did somebody important wear that recently?

Richard (Atlanta)

Hey Rich, do you see the JETS playing more four man fronts since they drafted Richardson?

Rich Cimini
  (2:47 PM)

I think so, but I could also see them playing 3-man fronts with Richardson moving around. They had Richardson-Coples-Mo Wilk front yesterday.

pete (Pennsylvannia)

Rich....Who do you think will start at running back?

Rich Cimini
  (2:47 PM)

That's easy: Ivory.

Rich Cimini
  (2:48 PM)

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call it here. Thanks for stopping by. Great questions, per usual. Keep checking the Jets blog; lot of OTAs to go and we'll keep it fresh. Take care, have a safe weekend and Go Orange! (men's and women's lax final 4s).

This is the extent of his football knowledge

Which is your favorite burger stop near Florham Park - 5 Guys or Smashburger?

Rich Cimini
  (2:13 PM)

Clearly, this is a more compelling question than Sanchez vs. Smith. I must confess, I'm partial to 5 Guys, but in the interest of fairness, I must say I've never been to Smash. I have to get there. Heard good things.

I don't know if it's just new york or football in general, as it's a complex sport with many intricacies  but the actual football knowledge of all these beat-writers is pretty sparse at best.  However, when you look over at someone like Isola with the Knicks or some of the Yankees' guys, they just bleed their sport and know far more about it than Richy and Mehta could even dream.  

It's a shame I didn't know about this before.  I would have thrown in a couple of jabs about the Twitter fiasco.  I know he wouldn't answer them, but considering Manish Mehta and Gary Myers blocked me on Twitter, I want to go for the trifecta and get Cimini to as well :)

It's a shame I didn't know about this before. I would have thrown in a couple of jabs about the Twitter fiasco. I know he wouldn't answer them, but considering Manish Mehta and Gary Myers blocked me on Twitter, I want to go for the trifecta and get Cimini to as well :)

LIVE THE DREAM BRAH

It's a shame I didn't know about this before.  I would have thrown in a couple of jabs about the Twitter fiasco.  I know he wouldn't answer them, but considering Manish Mehta and Gary Myers blocked me on Twitter, I want to go for the trifecta and get Cimini to as well :)

All is not lost.  Cimini does this almost every Thursday afternoon.

Go For It!

I love the "that would solve the problem" answer for Coples. Its this franchise's media culture to a tee - there is no actual problem and everyone knows they utilize a 4-3 front - but that matters far less than creating an atmosphere or scene.

How many sports writers go into TV or movie writing? Acting?

Archived