KRL Camp Notes7/29/13

JoeKlecko

KRL Camp Notes (7/29/13)
Finally got back home now down to business

It absolutely amazes me, the media actually has a real QB competiton
to report on and what do they focus on??? Who's making the choice
of the QB and who has power in the organization (blah, blah)!!!
Unbelievable, I REALLY miss Jenny Vrentas she was the ONLY one who
would breakdown what's taking place on the field. Congrats to her
for the new job at SI

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Practice ran 2 hours and 10 minutes

- Even though Milliner signed he still hadn't checked in

- Ivory and Edwards were padded up but they both watched

- Another solid job by the offense today

- The best offensive decision Ryan has made in his five years has
been hiring Mornhinweg and letting him be the "head coach" of the
offense. People may want Rex to be more involved with the offense
but he needs to stay out of the way. Watching a "real" OC handle
his business has been a joy. The early performance of the offense
has been so good you haven't missed Holmes, Goodson, Ivory, Edwards
and Winslow

Player Notes

- Smith was with the #1's again and today he was better than Sanchez.
What I liked was how he recovered after a couple of bad reps. They
were in red zone 11 on 11 and his first couple of passes were knocked
down by Pace. But then he found Kerley for a TD on a rollout bullet
into the corner. In his second set of 11 on 11 reps he made nice
passes to Jeff Cumberland (20+ yds) and Titus Ryan (15 yds in traffic).
In his 7 on 7 reps he had a TD to Hill (15 yds) and he would have had
another but Clyde Gates dropped it (he did pushups as punishment). In
addition after four days of practice he hasn't come close to throwing
an INT. This is not a Smith "lovefest", just reporting what I've seen.
From all the negative reports I read before the draft and during OTA's
I didn't expect this

- After three days of good practices Sanchez was just ok today. He
threw two INT's, one to Darrin Walls (CB) in 7 on 7. And another to
Josh Mauga (LB) during his 11 on 11 reps. He did have some nice
passes to Gates, Vidal Hazelton and Kerley (TD) during 7 on 7.
But he also showed some inaccuracy during 11 on 11 throwing behind
some WR's

- Hill wasn't as good today as yesterday but he was solid. I will say
this he's smoother in his movements so far. He's not flopping around
like last year where he looked like a newborn baby deer

- Backup the UHaul truck and put Ducasse in it. He was totally
embarrassed during 1 on 1 Oline vs. Dline drills. Damon Harrison (NT)
destroyed him three consecutive times, with the depth we have on the
Oline he's not going to make it. Because Winters, Aboushi and Campbell
continue to impress. Particularly Winters he has "hands of stone" when
he punches and locks onto a DL they stop dead in their tracks. Colon
and Peterman better play at a high level because Winters is close

- Richardson has been very impressive he has a full array of pass rush
moves and has been stout against the run

- Jeff Cumberland flashed today stretching the middle with excellent
catches from Smith & Simms

- Kenrick Ellis showed good penetration today blowing up running plays
during 9 on 7 running drills. And getting a "sack" during 11 on 11

- Both the backup safeties flashed today, Josh Bush with good coverage
on Hill. And Jaiquawn Jarrett blew up McKnight on a running play

Standouts For The Day

- Smith
- Cumberland
- Winters
- Richardson
- Ellis   

Am really glad to see that Ellis is becoming more of a factor.

I'm not too surprised, nor will I be unhappy to see Vlad gone.

I've always been high on Cumberland's potential.  He can be a weapon.

I'm rooting for Jaiquawn Jarrett.  I think he can help this team even if he is on the slow side.

Interesting that he says Smith hasn't come close to throwing an INT when he states his first couple of 11 on 11's were knocked down by Pace.  I guess he means a pick downfield and Pace was rushing.

Batted at the line, I think.  May have been the type of pass he never could have caught.

Mornhinweg is going to be big. I know he sucked with the Lions ten years ago as a HC, but otherwise he's been a really good OC with good passing offenses. He is a great match with Ryan, and I would not surprised if he were a HC candidate here if Ryan gets fired. Ryan probably will make it, but since last year happened I have to acknowledge that there is still some chance this team bombs worse than last year.

The two young OL-men drafted this year would really make this whole thing easier if they play like they can. Aboushi comes from a school that has seen almost every one of their LTs since 2006 start in the pros, I think only Riley Reid or w/e his name was is not a starter somewhere. Winters has a ton of starts, size, and other various physicals kills. Hopefully they are ready to go in heavy rotation with Colon and Peterman.

Cumberland was a five start WR prospect who converted to TE. He was a big project but the kind of project teams turning over their roster should take on. He and Reuland flashed last year, Cumberland more so catching the ball. I would not mind that turning into something. Maybe he can learn a thing or two watching the veteran pass catching TE, Winslow Jr.

The young safeties seem to be making some noise. That's good.

Ellis is still the NT in my dream monster DL of the near future. 

Mornhinweg is going to be big. I know he sucked with the Lions ten years ago as a HC, but otherwise he's been a really good OC with good passing offenses. He is a great match with Ryan, and I would not surprised if he were a HC candidate here if Ryan gets fired. Ryan probably will make it, but since last year happened I have to acknowledge that there is still some chance this team bombs worse than last year.

The two young OL-men drafted this year would really make this whole thing easier if they play like they can. Aboushi comes from a school that has seen almost every one of their LTs since 2006 start in the pros, I think only Riley Reid or w/e his name was is not a starter somewhere. Winters has a ton of starts, size, and other various physicals kills. Hopefully they are ready to go in heavy rotation with Colon and Peterman.

Cumberland was a five start WR prospect who converted to TE. He was a big project but the kind of project teams turning over their roster should take on. He and Reuland flashed last year, Cumberland more so catching the ball. I would not mind that turning into something. Maybe he can learn a thing or two watching the veteran pass catching TE, Winslow Jr.

The young safeties seem to be making some noise. That's good.

Ellis is still the NT in my dream monster DL of the near future. 

If Geno progresses this season to the point you know he is going to be a very good QB in this league, and the Jets go somewhere in the range of 6-10 to 8-8, and miss the playoffs, but Smith like I said progressed nicely, and started to take control of the offense, and win a few games late in the season, then yes I definetly can see MM as a HC canidate if your going to fire Rex, there is no reason to take Smith out of a system he is starting to play good in to only bring in a guy who will teach him his 2nd offense in 2 years. 

BUT if the Geno experiment is a bust, and we go closer to 4-12 then I can't see any coach from this year being here next season, the keys will be turned over to D Bevell (if he wants them), and he will be allowed to hand pick his future QB to groom in the 1st round next year, 4-12 won't get you Clowney, but it will put you in the position to get any QB you want in next years draft outside of maybe Bridgewater, but that is not even set in stone, who knows Tahj Boyd could take another step, and pass him on the scouting boards having the more (current flavor of the NFL) desirable skill being able to use his feet, not to mention the 3, or 4 other QB's who look to be graded out as possible 1st round QB's (currently I know everything changes after another full season of football).  I would also think Bevell would bring along someone from the Seahawks defensive coaching staff to install the Seahawks D, the only thing missing on our current roster for that style of D to work here is speed at 2 LB positions, and a good ball hawking Safety, and who knows maybe we have one on this roster waiting to get the chance to show it in Bush, or Allen, who knows maybe even Wilson could thrive as CF Safety I see they are already tinkering with that in camp.

I just hope that if MM is willing to stay on as OC, and the Jets show they are headed in the right direction with G Smith, and Rex coach's a top 5 D while the offense makes huge strides during the season with Geno behind center, and guys like S Hill, Kerley, Winters, Abdoubashi (prob spelled wrong), and Ivory look to be solid contributors with 1, or 2 turning in to top notch talents (Hill, and Winters) while the Jets go out, and struggle early, but start winning games in the 2nd half as everything starts to gel, and actually look like one of the better football teams in the league regardless if they make the playoffs, or not.  I hope Idzik has the smarts to keep this thing chugging in that direction.  Keep the coaching staff, add a big time play maker on offense in the 1st round for Geno to grow with along with Hill, and then get a dual threat beast alla Gio Bernard, L McCoy type of back in the 2nd round, and use the cap space that will be in abundance to fill 1 OL spot with a big time veteran both in skill, and leadership, fastest most talented LB available, and the best Safety available to fill the spot Landry will be playing this season (don't think he will be starting after the bye week personally), and that would solitify the Jets as a top contender for years to come if they don't bust on the draft picks, and pick the right Veterans to give smart contracts to.

Either way this team is built to be very good come 2015 at the latest whether it's Rex righting the ship with Geno (who knows maybe a miracle happens, and it is Sanchez, nah never mind stupid thought), or Bevell coming in here, and hand picking the future QB in next years draft.  The core of at least  9 pro bowlers current, or future in any given year is already on this roster, and that could be under shooting it TBH who knows what some of these other young kids will do that we don't know much about.  Here is the list of the 9 guys are PB players, and I think will be in the future (Mangold, D'Brick, MO, Copels, Richardson, Milliner, Cromartie, Ellis, and S Hill), and it is not impossible to think guys like Winters, Ivory, G Smith, either J Bush, or A Allen, Abdouboushi, D Davis, and if D Harris finds his previous form, could be added to this list, there is a lot of young talent on this team, we are not the Jacksonville Jaguars talent wise from the past few years.  If you add a pro bowl QB to this team I would venture a wage they would make the playoffs as is IMO!

Very fair and logical post..... Up until the 9 Pro Bowlers. That's where you went Kool Aid on us.

I agree that we are making steady progress to being a good team with a solid group of promising young players.

Cro, Mangold, Brick and Mo could conceivably make it this year, but there's a lot of talent on teams better than

us that will get most of the press and attention. I'll be happy with a 9-7 season over 6-10 with 3 Pro Bowlers.

Remember the more recognition they get the more $ they will cost us :- ) Shhhhhh!

Very fair and logical post..... Up until the 9 Pro Bowlers. That's where you went Kool Aid on us.

I agree that we are making steady progress to being a good team with a solid group of promising young players.

Cro, Mangold, Brick and Mo could conceivably make it this year, but there's a lot of talent on teams better than

us that will get most of the press and attention. I'll be happy with a 9-7 season over 6-10 with 3 Pro Bowlers.

Remember the more recognition they get the more $ they will cost us :- ) Shhhhhh!

I wasn't saying 9 pro bowlers for this season, I was saying there is IMO 9 players on this roster who have made a pro bowl, or in the future will make a pro bowl, yes it might take 2, or 3 years for guys like D Davis, Winters, Hill, Milliner, Coples, Ellis, and Richardson, but I do believe they are all talented enough to become pro bowl type players some where down the line. 

Sorry if it came across that I thought we would have 9 pro bowlers this season that was not what I ment.

If Geno progresses this season to the point you know he is going to be a very good QB in this league, and the Jets go somewhere in the range of 6-10 to 8-8, and miss the playoffs, but Smith like I said progressed nicely, and started to take control of the offense, and win a few games late in the season, then yes I definetly can see MM as a HC canidate if your going to fire Rex, there is no reason to take Smith out of a system he is starting to play good in to only bring in a guy who will teach him his 2nd offense in 2 years. 

BUT if the Geno experiment is a bust, and we go closer to 4-12 then I can't see any coach from this year being here next season, the keys will be turned over to D Bevell (if he wants them), and he will be allowed to hand pick his future QB to groom in the 1st round next year, 4-12 won't get you Clowney, but it will put you in the position to get any QB you want in next years draft outside of maybe Bridgewater, but that is not even set in stone, who knows Tahj Boyd could take another step, and pass him on the scouting boards having the more (current flavor of the NFL) desirable skill being able to use his feet, not to mention the 3, or 4 other QB's who look to be graded out as possible 1st round QB's (currently I know everything changes after another full season of football).  I would also think Bevell would bring along someone from the Seahawks defensive coaching staff to install the Seahawks D, the only thing missing on our current roster for that style of D to work here is speed at 2 LB positions, and a good ball hawking Safety, and who knows maybe we have one on this roster waiting to get the chance to show it in Bush, or Allen, who knows maybe even Wilson could thrive as CF Safety I see they are already tinkering with that in camp.

I just hope that if MM is willing to stay on as OC, and the Jets show they are headed in the right direction with G Smith, and Rex coach's a top 5 D while the offense makes huge strides during the season with Geno behind center, and guys like S Hill, Kerley, Winters, Abdoubashi (prob spelled wrong), and Ivory look to be solid contributors with 1, or 2 turning in to top notch talents (Hill, and Winters) while the Jets go out, and struggle early, but start winning games in the 2nd half as everything starts to gel, and actually look like one of the better football teams in the league regardless if they make the playoffs, or not.  I hope Idzik has the smarts to keep this thing chugging in that direction.  Keep the coaching staff, add a big time play maker on offense in the 1st round for Geno to grow with along with Hill, and then get a dual threat beast alla Gio Bernard, L McCoy type of back in the 2nd round, and use the cap space that will be in abundance to fill 1 OL spot with a big time veteran both in skill, and leadership, fastest most talented LB available, and the best Safety available to fill the spot Landry will be playing this season (don't think he will be starting after the bye week personally), and that would solitify the Jets as a top contender for years to come if they don't bust on the draft picks, and pick the right Veterans to give smart contracts to.

Either way this team is built to be very good come 2015 at the latest whether it's Rex righting the ship with Geno (who knows maybe a miracle happens, and it is Sanchez, nah never mind stupid thought), or Bevell coming in here, and hand picking the future QB in next years draft.  The core of at least  9 pro bowlers current, or future in any given year is already on this roster, and that could be under shooting it TBH who knows what some of these other young kids will do that we don't know much about.  Here is the list of the 9 guys are PB players, and I think will be in the future (Mangold, D'Brick, MO, Copels, Richardson, Milliner, Cromartie, Ellis, and S Hill), and it is not impossible to think guys like Winters, Ivory, G Smith, either J Bush, or A Allen, Abdouboushi, D Davis, and if D Harris finds his previous form, could be added to this list, there is a lot of young talent on this team, we are not the Jacksonville Jaguars talent wise from the past few years.  If you add a pro bowl QB to this team I would venture a wage they would make the playoffs as is IMO!

Good post.  I basically agree with everything except that there are presently no coaches on the CS worth retaining if things don't work out this season.  Karl Dunbar and Dennis Thurman are definitely worth retaining if Rex is fired.  There may be others.  The thing is, nobody really plays D the way Rex does with all the multiple fronts, at least not to the extent that he does.  I'd hope that whoever the new HC would be that he wouldn't radically change the D system.  That could make some of those good young players the Jets have not good fits.  I don't know anything about Seattle's D system, but if it would mean players like Copies, Richardson, Wilkerson, and maybe Ellis would have to play in a style or system that doesn't really ideally fit their skills or enable them to play to their potential, I wouldn't want that HC or the Seattle system.  The same goes for the offense.  I think Geno is a perfect fit for a WCO.  One of the things that has continually killed the Jets over the years is that when they have made a HC change, they've hired guys who totally change the offensive and/or defensive systems and made some of the good players they had bad fits in the new system.  That has to stop.

Good post.  I basically agree with everything except that there are presently no coaches on the CS worth retaining if things don't work out this season.  Karl Dunbar and Dennis Thurman are definitely worth retaining if Rex is fired.  There may be others.  The thing is, nobody really plays D the way Rex does with all the multiple fronts, at least not to the extent that he does.  I'd hope that whoever the new HC would be that he wouldn't radically change the D system.  That could make some of those good young players the Jets have not good fits.  I don't know anything about Seattle's D system, but if it would mean players like Copies, Richardson, Wilkerson, and maybe Ellis would have to play in a style or system that doesn't really ideally fit their skills or enable them to play to their potential, I wouldn't want that HC or the Seattle system.  The same goes for the offense.  I think Geno is a perfect fit for a WCO.  One of the things that has continually killed the Jets over the years is that when they have made a HC change, they've hired guys who totally change the offensive and/or defensive systems and made some of the good players they had bad fits in the new system.  That has to stop.

If we are picking in the top 5 next year, and hire an offensive minded HC we are drafting a QB if the top 2-3 guys are considered sure fire top 10 picks, and 1 is available, the new OFFENSIVE minded HC, I predict D Bevell would want his own QB to groom, and more than likely if the Jets are picking in the top 5 it is because Geno did not show enough to be considered a future franchise QB plain, and simple.  And as far as the Seahawks defensive scheme goes, it is pretty much very similar to what Rex tries to do they run a 4-3 D, but have more of a 3-4 personnel, they use the 4th down linemen as a hybrid player (coples fits this description) he can put his hand in the ground, and just straight rush, stand up, and straight rush, or even put out a guy who will drop back in coverage from that spot, and they are able to accomplish all of this because they have the fastest 8 players excluding the 3 down lineman starting in the NFL, its kinda like the 49ers 4-3 under package.  But that does not really matter the Jets have defensive talent that can run a succesful straight up 4-3 Defense, you would have Ellis, and Richardson at DT, Wilkerson, and Coples at DE, D Davis would be ready to step up, and be the MLB by 2014, and with D Harris not needed, and all the cap space available you would have no problem finding to OLB's we have plenty of canidates already on this roster who can play OLB in a 4-3 front, the draft pick of Richardson solitified this IMO, and his versatility to fit very well in either system was the reason he was picked by Idzik, he was drafting for the future, and he does not know what that will hold after this season scheme wise so he couldn't take a 3-4 only pick in the earlier rounds, Richardson just happened to be the best of both worlds, and in Idziks opinion was probably a no brainer at 13.

These reporters were so ready to write about the awful QB play of the Jets in camp, they must be disappointed that Geno has played well.

It is funny to M Sanchez hasn't been awful either, and Rex is not giving them anything in his pressers to run with, so they are stuck either actually doing what they are supposed to do, and report the actual progress of the teams players as a whole, or make up something out of nothing, pull something from thin air, and create a story that is straight BS, you will finally be able to seperate the decent beat writers from the hacks, yes we already know Cimini, and Mehnta are hacks, but we really don't know who isn't hopefully this will clear that up.

It is funny to M Sanchez hasn't been awful either, and Rex is not giving them anything in his pressers to run with, so they are stuck either actually doing what they are supposed to do, and report the actual progress of the teams players as a whole, or make up something out of nothing, pull something from thin air, and create a story that is straight BS, you will finally be able to seperate the decent beat writers from the hacks, yes we already know Cimini, and Mehnta are hacks, but we really don't know who isn't hopefully this will clear that up.

The "out of thin air" stuff would be the Milliner - Revis stories.  If a football writer digs a little deeper they realize we played solid defense last year without Revis and report it for what it is, the addition of a solid CB prospect to an already solid defense.  The other story that is getting missed is the leadership role that Cromartie has taken since Revis got injured.

If we are picking in the top 5 next year, and hire an offensive minded HC we are drafting a QB if the top 2-3 guys are considered sure fire top 10 picks, and 1 is available, the new OFFENSIVE minded HC, I predict D Bevell would want his own QB to groom, and more than likely if the Jets are picking in the top 5 it is because Geno did not show enough to be considered a future franchise QB plain, and simple.  And as far as the Seahawks defensive scheme goes, it is pretty much very similar to what Rex tries to do they run a 4-3 D, but have more of a 3-4 personnel, they use the 4th down linemen as a hybrid player (coples fits this description) he can put his hand in the ground, and just straight rush, stand up, and straight rush, or even put out a guy who will drop back in coverage from that spot, and they are able to accomplish all of this because they have the fastest 8 players excluding the 3 down lineman starting in the NFL, its kinda like the 49ers 4-3 under package.  But that does not really matter the Jets have defensive talent that can run a succesful straight up 4-3 Defense, you would have Ellis, and Richardson at DT, Wilkerson, and Coples at DE, D Davis would be ready to step up, and be the MLB by 2014, and with D Harris not needed, and all the cap space available you would have no problem finding to OLB's we have plenty of canidates already on this roster who can play OLB in a 4-3 front, the draft pick of Richardson solitified this IMO, and his versatility to fit very well in either system was the reason he was picked by Idzik, he was drafting for the future, and he does not know what that will hold after this season scheme wise so he couldn't take a 3-4 only pick in the earlier rounds, Richardson just happened to be the best of both worlds, and in Idziks opinion was probably a no brainer at 13.

Assuming that Rex would be fired if we're picking in the top 5, if Bevell is the new HC he could very well want to pick his own QB, but I don't totally agree that if we are picking in the top 5 it means that Smith didn't show enough to be considered a franchise QB.  There could be a number of reasons why the Jets could be picking that high that might have nothing to do with Smith.  One, God forbid, Smith could get a serious injury and miss a big chunk of the season.  Two, Rex might still feel that Sanchez is the best option and lobby so hard for that that Idzik and Mornhinweg, even though they disagree, decide to let Rex have his way and hang himself.  Three, rookie QBs can take some time.  Flacco did.  The big doofus Cheesedickburger in PIttsburgh did.  Four, Geno could play well, but the Jets could lose several key starters on both sides of the ball for most or all of the season (think Mangold or Brick and Coples or Mo again, God forbid).

Thanks for the info on Seattle's D.  That is reassuring.  I don't know that Bevell would get the job, but I think I'd like him to.  I can't think of anyone at the moment I'd like more.  With Seattle's D being so similar, imo that would make all the more sense and reason for Dunbar and Thurman to be retained.

So, all Mornhinweg has to do to get the Jets coaching job is turn Geno into Russell Wilson, turn Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates into NFL wide receivers, resurrect Braylon's career, teach Hayden Smith how to play American football, integrate two new guards onto the OL, keep Chris Ivory and Jeff Cumberland healthy for the first time in their careers, and hope he has a blocking TE on the roster.

No sweat.

So, all Mornhinweg has to do to get the Jets coaching job is turn Geno into Russell Wilson, turn Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates into NFL wide receivers, resurrect Braylon's career, teach Hayden Smith how to play American football, integrate two new guards onto the OL, keep Chris Ivory and Jeff Cumberland healthy for the first time in their careers, and hope he has a blocking TE on the roster.

No sweat.

Piece of cake. 

No sweat.

He does all that and Rex isn't going anywhere. 

Assuming that Rex would be fired if we're picking in the top 5, if Bevell is the new HC he could very well want to pick his own QB, but I don't totally agree that if we are picking in the top 5 it means that Smith didn't show enough to be considered a franchise QB.  There could be a number of reasons why the Jets could be picking that high that might have nothing to do with Smith.  One, God forbid, Smith could get a serious injury and miss a big chunk of the season.  Two, Rex might still feel that Sanchez is the best option and lobby so hard for that that Idzik and Mornhinweg, even though they disagree, decide to let Rex have his way and hang himself.  Three, rookie QBs can take some time.  Flacco did.  The big doofus Cheesedickburger in PIttsburgh did.  Four, Geno could play well, but the Jets could lose several key starters on both sides of the ball for most or all of the season (think Mangold or Brick and Coples or Mo again, God forbid).

Thanks for the info on Seattle's D.  That is reassuring.  I don't know that Bevell would get the job, but I think I'd like him to.  I can't think of anyone at the moment I'd like more.  With Seattle's D being so similar, imo that would make all the more sense and reason for Dunbar and Thurman to be retained.

Huh?

What don't you understand? 

I think the point you tried to make regarding rookie QBs taking time to develop is mostly true but your two examples, Big Ben and Flacco dont really support the claim. Big Ben's rookie year was off the charts. Didnt Pitt win like 13 in a row? Flacco's rookie year was not as good but wasnt too shabby either.

I think the point you tried to make regarding rookie QBs taking time to develop is mostly true but your two examples, Big Ben and Flacco dont really support the claim. Big Ben's rookie year was off the charts. Didnt Pitt win like 13 in a row? Flacco's rookie year was not as good but wasnt too shabby either.

Ah.  Yes, perhaps there are better examples I could have cited.  Rothlisberger is a poorer example than Flacco.  I cited him because he had good stats, but not off the charts imo (17 TDs, 11 Picks) , but Pittsburgh did win 13 straight, then his 2nd season was better, but his 3rd was pretty bad with many more picks than TDs.  Flacco was only meh his rookie season.  

Ah.  Yes, perhaps there are better examples I could have cited.  Rothlisberger is a poorer example than Flacco.  I cited him because he had good stats, but not off the charts imo (17 TDs, 11 Picks) , but Pittsburgh did win 13 straight, then his 2nd season was better, but his 3rd was pretty bad with many more picks than TDs.  Flacco was only meh his rookie season.  

Meh > Sanchez

Archived