Jets Need to Give Ivory More Carries

flgreen

NY Jets would benefit from giving running back Chris Ivory more carries As of now, Bilal Powell is playing 62 percent of snaps, but offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg would be better off calling Ivory's number more offten. NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 11:38 PM Updated: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 3:32 AM

180424689.jpg Jared Wickerham/Getty Images  

RB Chris Ivory has just 22 carries in two games, but the Jets — 25th in total offense — may need to hand him the ball more often.

Chris Ivory sees no need to raise his voice, knock over tables or pout.

A more foolish man might disagree, but the Jets’ bruising running back understands the big picture two weeks into what promises to be an “interesting” journey. He envisions a time when he’ll be a cornerstone in this offense despite being marginalized in the fourth quarter of a three-point game in Foxborough last week.

Ivory must be an integral piece of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s puzzle for the Jets to have any chance of being a viable threat every week.

“That’s just my role right now,” said Ivory, who has only 22 carries in the first two games. “I’m not sure exactly where we’re going with it, but those are the carries that I received. And I’m fine with that. I’m just trying to win.”

Ivory had every reason to question why he had only one carry in the final 14½ minutes of the Jets’ 13-10 loss to the Patriots last week. Mornhinweg dialed up 17 plays in that span, including five rushes, without turning to him.

Ivory had seven carries for 37 yards in the first 21 minutes before not touching it over the final nine minutes of the first half after a fumble (that was recovered by the Jets). Three of Ivory’s five first-quarter carries went for at least five yards.

Mornhinweg will never revert back to the Jets’ “ground-and-pound” days of 2009 and 2010. However, he’s smart enough to realize how much of an asset Ivory can be to take pressure off quarterback Geno Smith, who has made his fair share of rookie mistakes in the first two weeks.

The Jets are 25th in total offense and 29th in scoring offense, due in part to the rookie’s predictable growing pains. It’s premature to condemn Mornhinweg’s offense, but the early returns haven’t been very good.

Smith & Co. have scored only two touchdowns in 28 drives. The Jets have gone three-and-out or committed a turnover 61% of the time (17 drives).

Although Mornhinweg believes in generating points through the air, he’s not averse to strategically grinding it out on the ground. He dialed up four consecutive runs for Ivory during a first-quarter drive last week that picked up a pair of first downs.

The life of an offensive play-caller, of course, is filled with second-guessing. Mornhinweg’s penchant for passing has been successful. He has finished with a top 10 offense in eight of his previous 11 years as a play-caller, so there’s plenty of reason to believe that he will figure out the most effective way to use Ivory, who has the skill set to be a valuable asset in any offensive system.

Every game is not going to be a game made to run,” Ivory said. “Some teams have run-stop defenses. So it’s going to be harder to run against certain teams versus others. ... From a coaching standpoint, you (have to) get a mind frame (like), ‘I don’t care how good their defense is. We’re going to go at them ... and hopefully we’ll have some big plays.’ It’s bound to happen. But if not, we’ll go to the passing game.”

Ivory, who was sidelined for much of training camp and the preseason with a hamstring injury, has played in only 33% of the snaps so far. (Bilal Powell, a reliable pass protector, has played in 62% of the snaps). He deserves a heavier workload Sunday against the Bills’ 30th-ranked run defense that is allowing 141.5 yards.

“I’m starting to get a better feel for the offense,” Ivory said. “It’s a rhythm thing. Some backs can make the most out of what they get and some just need those extra touches to get in a rhythm.”

Mornhinweg has dialed up a 62/38 pass-run call split in the first two games. He has called more passing plays than runs in six of eight quarters.

The Jets, like every other team in the league, preach balance. Mornhinweg’s philosophy in the past (which I agree with) has been to create that balance by jumping on teams early through the air before grinding out the clock on the ground late in games.

Ivory predictably prefers as many touches as possible.

“We just got to keep him in a rhythm early for us to be successful,” right guard Willie Colon said.

Ivory has the frame, at 6-0, 222 pounds, to wear down defenses, but Mornhinweg must be mindful of his running back’s history of bumps and bruises. Ivory, who has dealt with an assortment of injuries in the past few years, has only one 20-plus carry game (and three with more than 15) in 26 career games.

“The carries will come,” he said.

Ivory is hardly a savior, but he can help.

It’s up to Mornhinweg to let him.

Twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-ivory-coast-backfield-article-1.1460534?pgno=1#ixzz2fLRgB8OX

"Ivory had seven carries for 37 yards in the first 21 minutes before not touching it over the final nine minutes of the first half after a fumble (that was recovered by the Jets)."

If ya need to know why Ivory didn't get more carries in the 2nd half, Look no further

What impresses me (and scares me) about Ivory is his willingness to just pound through anything, whether there's a hole or not.

If we can't make better holes for him, I'm worried he's going to get hurt.  Not because he's frail, but because he's fearless.

You can't win in this league by running the ball........haven't you heard?

the "let's run more" crowd seem to ignore that the Jets were down in NE. Teams can't run their way back from a points deficit. You have to pass. 

all the running in the world won't cover up bad QB play. even if you win a game here or a game there with running...  even if you win 4 playoff games and make 2 AFG CG appearances... in the long run the QB will be exposed. Playoff teams will stop the run and force the pass. The Jets are correct in tring to develop a real offense from the get go.

Asking for more running is living in a world of denial... maybe a simpler world like 20 years ago where the run still works. Unless they want to hire Tebow from the Russian league and go full wishbone. Running is a gimmick.

In this league the Jets should be passing all the time. That's what the rules dictate. G&P is gone just like fat Rex.

You can if the deficit is 3 points and you have 15 minutes.

a FG doesn't win that game. Give the ball back to BRady tie game, he's at home, it doesn't matter that the Jets D is #2 in the league, they still lose that game. 

the "run more" crowd are living in denial what has to happen is the QB can't throw 3 INTs in the 4th quarter. Running more is a backdoor way of admitting the QB is unreliable (a.k.a. sucky). Teams with unreliable QBs can't run their way to victory consistently.  Not in this league with the rules the way they are and teams like Denver putting up 7 thousand points a game.

What impresses me (and scares me) about Ivory is his willingness to just pound through anything, whether there's a hole or not.

If we can't make better holes for him, I'm worried he's going to get hurt.  Not because he's frail, but because he's fearless.

I don't think we've ever had a RB like Ivory.  No, I'm not anointing him as being BETTER than anyone we've had, but he's definitely different.  We've had so many RB's who fall down at first contact, its nice to have a RB who wants to bring the pain for a change while having explosiveness to boot (unlike Shonn Greene).  He'll definitely get himself injured at some point, and that's why I'm glad we have Bilal around.  But until then, he's going to be fun to watch.

the "let's run more" crowd seem to ignore that the Jets were down in NE. Teams can't run their way back from a points deficit. You have to pass. 

all the running in the world won't cover up bad QB play. even if you win a game here or a game there with running...  even if you win 4 playoff games and make 2 AFG CG appearances... in the long run the QB will be exposed. Playoff teams will stop the run and force the pass. The Jets are correct in tring to develop a real offense from the get go.

Asking for more running is living in a world of denial... maybe a simpler world like 20 years ago where the run still works. Unless they want to hire Tebow from the Russian league and go full wishbone. Running is a gimmick.

In this league the Jets should be passing all the time. That's what the rules dictate. G&P is gone just like fat Rex.

Covered it up pretty dam well in Mark's first two seasons. We don't throw three picks if we run the ball more in the 4th. Realistically, running more in the fourth would have given us a higher probability of winning. We were more effective, got more yards and turned the ball over less when running it. To refuse to acknowledge this is the true denial, IMO.

You equate the idea that we should have run more in the 4th quarter against the Patriots to something like "lets get rid of the pass and just run, run, run the whole year". Its a fallacy of composition.

"Ivory had seven carries for 37 yards in the first 21 minutes before not touching it over the final nine minutes of the first half after a fumble (that was recovered by the Jets)."

If ya need to know why Ivory didn't get more carries in the 2nd half, Look no further

What worries me, is he pounds himself in there and ball is just screaming to be stripped.  He'll fight for the extra yard which is great, but sometimes it seems like he's fighting and that ball is way too exposed. 

Covered it up pretty dam well in Mark's first two seasons.  

it's a short term fix eventually the luck will run out and there will be a team that stops the run, probably in the playoffs. the way the league is built, the running team will eventually lose to the passing team. 

C'mon Bit, you know people aren't saying abandon the pass completely and run eight straight times.  They're saying that it would have been prudent for Ivory to get a few more touches on early downs so as to give Geno some more manageable situations, considering he was rattling off 5+ yards a clip.  His fumble hurt, I made that comment during the game, but I still think they could have dialed up a few more run plays to help Geno out, instead of having him pass 40 times in such a close and winnable game.

Running is a gimmick?   bwhahahahahaha

I ******* <3 you man.

it's a short term fix eventually the luck will run out and there will be a team that stops the run, probably in the playoffs. the way the league is built, the running team will eventually lose to the passing team. 

No sht!! lol

Saying we should have run more in the 4th quarter in that one game was a short term strategy for that one game. You stick with what is working. You wrongly extrapolate that to the entire season and say people are wrong to believe such a thing, when we in fact think nothing of the sort.

C'mon Bit, you know people aren't saying abandon the pass completely and run eight straight times.  They're saying that it would have been prudent for Ivory to get a few more touches on early downs so as to give Geno some more manageable situations, considering he was rattling off 5+ yards a clip.  His fumble hurt, I made that comment during the game, but I still think they could have dialed up a few more run plays to help Geno out, instead of having him pass 40 times in such a close and winnable game.

If you don't want your QB passing in a close and winnable game, that's a much bigger problem than the run/pass ratio. Even if it's 60/40 run to pass the QB has to make competent choices. 

If you don't want your QB passing in a close and winnable game, that's a much bigger problem than the run/pass ratio. Even if it's 60/40 run to pass the QB has to make competent choices. 

Now your just being argumentative for sake of being argumentative.

You think a rookie QB should be treated equal in that type of situation with mediocre WR's to boot? If the run is working and in turn will give the rookie QB more time to throw when they decide to throw that is not ground and pound that is smart football.

they ran a ton last year and couldn't score  a damn point. 

Geno isn't gonna learn by handing the ball off. 

So you wanted to throw more against the Patriots so Geno could learn? 

I prefer we pick strategies based on winning the game at hand. 

they ran a ton last year and couldn't score  a damn point. 

Geno isn't gonna learn by handing the ball off. 

We have to at least keep defenses honest with the ground game.  Going 5-wide all game and letting the opposing front 7 pin their ears back because of no running threat isn't a good strategy.

by the way you guys don't actually know if running more would have won that game

in this league if the other team knows you are running, it will usually fail. 

ivory was getting 4+ a carry because the other team was in pass defense. 

once teams put 8 or 9 in the box the run is over.

by the way you guys don't actually know if running more would have won that game

Truth in this

Think we are going to see this against the Bills.  Geno better be ready to throw again.  

Throwing would be easier then no?

Archived