Three Key Players Hurt

flgreen

Jets suffer injuries to three key players against Saints

November 4th, 2013 10:10 am

The Jets had a big win at home on yesterday in beating the New Orleans Saints 26-20, but it didn’t come without a cost. WR Jeremy Kerley, SS Antonio Allen and LB Garrett McIntyre all left the game with various injuries and their ability to play after the bye is uncertain. Coach Rex Ryan had no updates on the severity of the injuries after the game but said his team had to “overcome some tough injuries” to beat the Saints.

Kerley, the team’s leading receiver, left the game in the second quarter with an elbow injury, per ABC News. Kerley seemed to be hurt when he was on the ground while blocking on a running play. New Orleans’ David Hawthorne hit Kerley’s left arm, which rolled awkwardly under the linebacker’s shoulder, looking very much like a hyperextension or dislocation. (See the full-size image on Fansided.com) Kerley immediately grabbed at his arm, was checked by trainers on the sideline, headed to the locker room and did not return to the game.

Safety Antonio Allen, left with what might be a head injury in the third quarter and linebacker Garrett McIntyre also suffered a knee injury during the game. Veteran linebacker Calvin Pace left the game late, but said he was just “banged up” after the game and that he would be fine.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com

Kerley has been a steady part of the offense and the team has suffered when he’s not been in the lineup. It’s hard to say yet how long he might be out, but his presence helps Geno Smith, that much is certain. Even so, the Jets might get Santonio Holmes back after the bye, so should Kerley be unable to play, the Jets will gain some stability back in the offense.

Allen has been has been a surprise help to the secondary, but Jaiquawn Jarrett has filled in nicely as a strong safety. Allen seems to have more versatile coverage skills, but the Jets can make the defense work without Allen. Given that the Jets will get two weeks before their next game, Allen could be ready to go for the Bills game.

I didn't see the McIntyre injury, while it's a bummer, not sure it'll be drastically felt like the Kerley one.  Looks like Double A is dealing with a concussion, so the bye week is coming at a good time for him, pretty hard to imagine him not suiting up for the Bills in two weeks.  If I had to guess, I'd say Kerley will miss at least 4 games, but hopefully it's relatively innocuous w/out major complications and he can avoid surgery. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he emerged as a great cover type player for a long time.. never knew he use to play linebacker. Good news he can tackle too

He's responsible for Sproles being knocked out of the game. Great (legal) hit on him in the first quarter.

I didn't see the McIntyre injury, while it's a bummer, not sure it'll be drastically felt like the Kerley one.  Looks like Double A is dealing with a concussion, so the bye week is coming at a good time for him, pretty hard to imagine him not suiting up for the Bills in two weeks.  If I had to guess, I'd say Kerley will miss at least 4 games, but hopefully it's relatively innocuous w/out major complications and he can avoid surgery. 

McIntyre was on the injury list for a knee going into the game, but had been practicing full.  It hurts more because Barnes is already gone so we are now down to #3 (Ricky Sapp).  I thought it was just that they were hoping Sapp could get going.  Sapp looks good in his uniform, but I still haven't seen him do anything.  I like Allen, but I'm not sure how much of a drop off Jarrett is and I don't think they have too many TE threats coming up.  Certainly nothing like Gronkowski, Gonzalez and Graham. 

The the bye week will really help in Allen's injury.  Seldom does a concussion last more then two weeks unless it is very serious.  

BTW Jarrett is a big drop off from Allen, but I don't think it will turn out to be relevant.    McIntyre had a nagging knee, hopefully he just aggravated it and two weeks rest should help.

Kerley's another story, we'll have to see what happens with that 

McIntyre was on the injury list for a knee going into the game, but had been practicing full. It hurts more because Barnes is already gone so we are now down to #3 (Ricky Sapp). I thought it was just that they were hoping Sapp could get going. Sapp looks good in his uniform, but I still haven't seen him do anything. I like Allen, but I'm not sure how much of a drop off

lJarrett is and I don't think they have too many TE threats coming up. Certainly nothing like Gronkowski, Gonzalez and Graham.

Not sure of how well Jarrett will do at db but he's definately too big to be a jockey which is what he looked like as he rode Graham into the EZ

Allen is finally a guy we can put on the other teams TE. He did a great job on Gronk and was doing well against Grahm before the injury.

Allen did admirably against both, but Gronk was a slight overthrow by Brady away from having another 30 yard touchdown and sealing the victory against us. It's never going to be just one man that shuts down those types of guys, it's gotta be a team effort. Thankfully we don't have to Gronk, Graham or Gonzo again this regular season.

McIntyre was on the injury list for a knee going into the game, but had been practicing full.  It hurts more because Barnes is already gone so we are now down to #3 (Ricky Sapp).  I thought it was just that they were hoping Sapp could get going.  Sapp looks good in his uniform, but I still haven't seen him do anything.  I like Allen, but I'm not sure how much of a drop off Jarrett is and I don't think they have too many TE threats coming up.  Certainly nothing like Gronkowski, Gonzalez and Graham. 

I noticed he was listed as a knee, but didn't see the actual play where it happened and even notice his absence until the post-game presser where Rex mentioned he was out. The barnes loss stings as he was filling his roll admirably, but hopefully with Coples continual development, he can kind of mask some of these losses. 

Sapp is someone whom I thought always had all the potential in the world, but couldn't stay healthy enough to prove it.  I know he was banged up earlier, but I'm not aware of any glaring injury, so maybe he's just not a player. It's surprising though as I don't think we'd be keeping him around if the coaching staff didn't feel he has the game to see the field. It's all about guys making the best of their opportunity, hopefully he does.

Archived