Cruising for Cousins!

FloridaJetsFan

I think the entire situation in Washington could get way more interesting.  It could be all about a draft pick, but it could be a disaster if Cousins actually looks good these past 3 games and the Redskins win.   People have already questioned RG3 and his leadership and his ability to actually pass like a pocket QB.   If he's still hurt or still playing like he's hurt and afraid to run, who knows if he'll ever be that guy everybody was afraid to play again.    Vick is comparable to him because Vick was fast, could run, but like RG3, he was always hurt. So it really never materialized into anything more than espn highlights.     

I dont think the Redskins will ever not go with RG3, but at the end of the day, if the Redskins and Cousins win 3 or 2 out of 3 and he looks like a decent QB and RG3 comes back next year looking like he does this year,  it'll be a disaster.   Especially if they trade away Cousins for a 4th round pick.

Cousins looked pretty good in the first half.  I'm sure somebody on the board would have given up 2 1st rounders for him at the half.  He had a few balls that should have been picked.  The 2nd long pass was on the S.  I actually said "picked" in my living room and the guy undercut it by a good 3 yards.  If they win this game it is purely because the Falcons defense sucks, but we knew that.  Geno showed us.

Watching this game shows me just how stupid these analysts are.  After one of Cousins first completions Heath Evans actually said, and I quote  "That is exactly what you want.  He knew where he was going with that ball before the snap.  His eyes lock on the receiver and never leave him.  That is exactly what you want from a young QB." WTF?!?!?!

At the half they asked Strahan about Cousins and he said that they were getting what they wanted from him because he had cut down on the turnovers from RGIII.  Okay Cousins hadn't started throwing picks yet, but he did fumble and they had 3 or 4 turnovers at that point.  They have 7 now

Cousins looked pretty good in the first half.  I'm sure somebody on the board would have given up 2 1st rounders for him at the half.  He had a few balls that should have been picked.  The 2nd long pass was on the S.  I actually said "picked" in my living room and the guy undercut it by a good 3 yards.  If they win this game it is purely because the Falcons defense sucks, but we knew that.  Geno showed us.

Watching this game shows me just how stupid these analysts are.  After one of Cousins first completions Heath Evans actually said, and I quote  "That is exactly what you want.  He knew where he was going with that ball before the snap.  His eyes lock on the receiver and never leave him.  That is exactly what you want from a young QB." WTF?!?!?!

At the half they asked Strahan about Cousins and he said that they were getting what they wanted from him because he had cut down on the turnovers from RGIII.  Okay Cousins hadn't started throwing picks yet, but he did fumble and they had 3 or 4 turnovers at that point.  They have 7 now

This is the problem with these damn end of season or a couple game stats.    "guy looked great" in games where the other team had no clue about the guy or the other team didn't care to show up.  The falcons stink and so do the redskins.   Who cares what either of them did today.  If Cousins had a 7TD and 0 INT game it means nothing.    But the media, fans, GMs, and coaches go bonkers over stupid stats like this and suddenly somebody trades away first and second round picks for them.  Or sign them to huge contracts.    

I think it more has to do with desperation and blind faith over reality.   The Seahawks thought Charlie Whitehurst was a savior and traded picks for him.  They gave Flynn a monster contract.  They were just lucky he sucked enough that Wilson won the job.   If Flynn would have even been bad, he'd probably start last season and who knows what happens with Wilson.   That's the way it works.     Hell if Sanchez doesn't get injured in a pointless moment,  we might know nothing about Geno Smith. And maybe he sits for a year and learns or sits and winds up playing for different coaches.  Who knows.    

But people dreaming of Cousins is a bit ridiculous. 

This is the problem with these damn end of season or a couple game stats.    "guy looked great" in games where the other team had no clue about the guy or the other team didn't care to show up.  The falcons stink and so do the redskins.   Who cares what either of them did today.  If Cousins had a 7TD and 0 INT game it means nothing.    But the media, fans, GMs, and coaches go bonkers over stupid stats like this and suddenly somebody trades away first and second round picks for them.  Or sign them to huge contracts.    

I think it more has to do with desperation and blind faith over reality.   The Seahawks thought Charlie Whitehurst was a savior and traded picks for him.  They gave Flynn a monster contract.  They were just lucky he sucked enough that Wilson won the job.   If Flynn would have even been bad, he'd probably start last season and who knows what happens with Wilson.   That's the way it works.     Hell if Sanchez doesn't get injured in a pointless moment,  we might know nothing about Geno Smith. And maybe he sits for a year and learns or sits and winds up playing for different coaches.  Who knows.    

But people dreaming of Cousins is a bit ridiculous. 

I would gladly trade a 2nd rd pick for Cousins.   

Cousins was a 4th rd pick in one of the best QB draft classes in the past decade.   Which college QB do you think is a better 2nd rd prospect than Cousins, who now has 2 years NFL experience?   

Cousins was a 4th rd pick in one of the best QB draft classes in the past decade.   Which college QB do you think is a better 2nd rd prospect than Cousins, who now has 2 years NFL experience?   

Great thing about Cousins is that he is locked up for 2 more years at $570K and $660K.  It's not one of those deals where he has a good year and you are broke or back to square one. 

Great thing about Cousins is that he is locked up for 2 more years at $570K and $660K.  It's not one of those deals where he has a good year and you are broke or back to square one. 

Both really good points.    I am opposed to to spending a 1st on Cousins, but like Smith at the time, I'd go for a 2nd.   Don't think anyone in this draft is a better prospect in the second.

If Smith still sucks as bad as he does this year, and Cousins isn't the guy, it's not the end of the world to take another QB in 2015.

Its going to take a 1 to get him. 

Who is going to give a 1st for Cousins?    The teams that need QBs are going to be picking at the top of Rd 1.   

The Redskins are a total disaster right now and will probably have a new coaching staff this offseason.   If their 2 choices are keep Cousins on the bench or get a 2nd rd pick off of a 4th rd investment I think they make the trade.    They also have no 1st rd pick this year so they are in desperate need of picks.   

Who is going to give a 1st for Cousins?    The teams that need QBs are going to be picking at the top of Rd 1.   

The Redskins are a total disaster right now and will probably have a new coaching staff this offseason.   If their 2 choices are keep Cousins on the bench or get a 2nd rd pick off of a 4th rd investment I think they make the trade.    They also have no 1st rd pick this year so they are in desperate need of picks.   

They could shop RG3

They could shop RG3

No chance, no way, no possibility.  

RG3 is the franchise.   Forget about his knee and the down year for a minute.   The entire DC / PG County area would revolt if they traded RG3, I mean serious actual riots.    DC is a majority black city, as is PG County.    The 2 most popular people in the area are RG3 and Barack Obama (in that order).    Both of them have a halo effect where no matter how poorly they perform it will never be their fault.     This entire season can be written off as a bad deal from Goodell and the NFL for the cap penalty, or RG3 rushing to get back, or blame it on Shanahan... but no one inside the beltway would dare lay an ounce of blame on RG3.  

Snyder may be able to smooth over a trade like that in the white soccer mom suburbs but in DC / MD that trade would be a total disaster. 

RG3 is the franchise.   Forget about his knee and the down year for a minute.   The entire DC / PG County area would revolt if they traded RG3, I mean serious actual riots.    DC is a majority black city, as is PG County.    The 2 most popular people in the area are RG3 and Barack Obama (in that order).    Both of them have a halo effect where no matter how poorly they perform it will never be their fault.     This entire season can be written off as a bad deal from Goodell and the NFL for the cap penalty, or RG3 rushing to get back, or blame it on Shanahan... but no one inside the beltway would dare lay an ounce of blame on RG3.  

Snyder may be able to smooth over a trade like that in the white soccer mom suburbs but in DC / MD that trade would be a total disaster. 

Atlantan's only cried for a little while over Vick. Winning cures all that nonsence.

Atlantan's only cried for a little while over Vick. Winning cures all that nonsence.

not even a close  comparison.    Vick was incarcerated in federal prison after pleading guilty to a felony.   RG3 would just be cast aside for a "Tebow-lite" bible-thumper with a better arm.   

To put things in perspective, Marion Berry was re-elected Mayor of DC after the FBI takedown and "Bitch set me up Video".   To this day he is still beloved in SE DC and a current City Councilman.   

Look at how well he's playing? He's clearly worth a one and they will get one for him. 

I know.  I live here too.  

Just floating it as an option.  Shanahan seems like he might prefer it, but it's certainly not likely. 

not even a close  comparison.    Vick was incarcerated in federal prison after pleading guilty to a felony.   RG3 would just be cast aside for a "Tebow-lite" bible-thumper with a better arm.   

To put things in perspective, Marion Berry was re-elected Mayor of DC after the FBI takedown and "Bitch set me up Video".   To this day he is still beloved in SE DC and a current City Councilman.   

A City Councilman who was awarding contracts to his girlfriend and still won't step down and will keep getting reelected. 

Look at how well he's playing? He's clearly worth a one and they will get one for him. 

Again....from who?    Saying he's worth a 1st rd pick is one thing, finding a team willing to part with it is another.   

Hou, Jax, Oak, Cle, Min  - all top 10 picks.    You really think someone is going to give up a top 10 pick for Cousins?    What's scary about that list is that as of today the Jets draft below all of those teams so in theory they'd end up with the 6th available QB in the draft.  

It's way too early to starting putting together mock drafts but if the Jets can get Cousins for a 2, they would have options for a stud WR in rd 1.  

Again....from who?    Saying he's worth a 1st rd pick is one thing, finding a team willing to part with it is another.   

Hou, Jax, Oak, Cle, Min  - all top 10 picks.    You really think someone is going to give up a top 10 pick for Cousins?    What's scary about that list is that as of today the Jets draft below all of those teams so in theory they'd end up with the 6th available QB in the draft.  

It's way too early to starting putting together mock drafts but if the Jets can get Cousins for a 2, they would have options for a stud WR in rd 1.  

I got another idea... the Jets don't get Kirk Cousins, period.

True, but she DID set him up ...

I got another idea... the Jets don't get Kirk Cousins, period.

like I said, I would trade a 2nd for Cousins.  

The way the draft is shaping up the Jets would get the 6th best QB in rd 1.    Cousins was also around the 6th QB taken in 2012 - the QBs taken before him: RG3, Luck, Tannehill, Weeden, Foles, Wilson.     Other than Weeden, 2012 has the potential to go down as one of the best draft classes of all time.    

like I said, I would trade a 2nd for Cousins.  

The way the draft is shaping up the Jets would get the 6th best QB in rd 1.    Cousins was also around the 6th QB taken in 2012 - the QBs taken before him: RG3, Luck, Tannehill, Weeden, Foles, Wilson.     Other than Weeden, 2012 has the potential to go down as one of the best draft classes of all time.    

I wouldn't trade anything for Cousins under any circumstances. I think over the long haul he will prove to be a sh*tty QB. Can't put it any plainer than that. 

I would keep Geno, try and sign a younger vet who has started more than two games, like Jason Campbell, and draft a QB in the second or third. If none of them prove to be the answer next year... the 2015 draft is shaping up to have almost, if not stronger a QB class led by Winston and Mariotta. 

Archived