Cruising for Cousins!

FloridaJetsFan

The Jets should cruise right to the trade table and make an offer for Kirk Cousins before his stock goes thru the roof!

Robert Griffin III is not only being sidelined, he will be inactive Sunday when the Washington Redskins take on the Atlanta Falcons.

NFL Media's Jeff Darlington reported Wednesday that Redskins players have been told Kirk Cousins will start and Rex Grossman will be the backup, according to a team source.

Earlier Wednesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the game plan for Sunday indicates that the Redskins appeared to be moving forward with Cousins at quarterback, according to two people who have seen the plan.

A person close to RGIII, when asked how the quarterback is dealing with the demotion, told Rapoport that Griffin is stung but has perspective: "His dad served in Iraq. This is football."

Mike Shanahan said Monday he might consider sitting RGIII to keep him healthy, which was surprising considering he's played 13 consecutive games without injury. The Redskins also face one of the softest defenses in the NFL on Sunday.

If health is truly the reason -- an excuse few will believe -- being inactive makes the most sense.

Griffin has struggled this season coming off ACL surgery, but hasn't missed time due to the injury. Some regression should have been expected from his excellent rookie season, given that he has yet to have a full NFL offseason. However, RGIII has been far from the only problem with the Redskins, he's just the highest profile disappointment.

The turmoil in D.C. between Shanahan, Griffin and owner Dan Snyder has permeated the entire organization.

Shanahan mentioned Monday that if a change was made it would be for the rest of the season. The coach is scheduled to meet with the media at 1:50 p.m. ET today.

In the middle of the Redskins' power game sits Cousins, who performed well in relief of RGIII last season. The former fourth-round pick will get three games to audition for other teams.

It looks like Kirk Cousins will have a chance to play his way out of Washington.

The Rams have Washington's 1st rounder, and RG3's a walking injury risk.  They're not accepting anything less than a 1st rounder for the guy.  And why should they, especially if he does well the next few games?

Or, he could play like he has in every opportunity he's had outside of week 15 last year (and the two passes he threw in week 14) and put up a 1-2 TD-INT ratio and leave the Redskins in a position where they would be happy to get a 5th rounder for him.

This guy's resume is lighter than the four QBs I mentioned earlier and people actually believe the Redskins are gonna get major high picks for this guy? Not after Kolb busted out in Arizona. 

The Jets should cruise right to the trade table and make an offer for Kirk Cousins before his stock goes thru the roof!

Robert Griffin III is not only being sidelined, he will be inactive Sunday when the Washington Redskins take on the Atlanta Falcons.

NFL Media's Jeff Darlington reported Wednesday that Redskins players have been told Kirk Cousins will start and Rex Grossman will be the backup, according to a team source.

Earlier Wednesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the game plan for Sunday indicates that the Redskins appeared to be moving forward with Cousins at quarterback, according to two people who have seen the plan.

A person close to RGIII, when asked how the quarterback is dealing with the demotion, told Rapoport that Griffin is stung but has perspective: "His dad served in Iraq. This is football."

Mike Shanahan said Monday he might consider sitting RGIII to keep him healthy, which was surprising considering he's played 13 consecutive games without injury. The Redskins also face one of the softest defenses in the NFL on Sunday.

If health is truly the reason -- an excuse few will believe -- being inactive makes the most sense.

Griffin has struggled this season coming off ACL surgery, but hasn't missed time due to the injury. Some regression should have been expected from his excellent rookie season, given that he has yet to have a full NFL offseason. However, RGIII has been far from the only problem with the Redskins, he's just the highest profile disappointment.

The turmoil in D.C. between Shanahan, Griffin and owner Dan Snyder has permeated the entire organization.

Shanahan mentioned Monday that if a change was made it would be for the rest of the season. The coach is scheduled to meet with the media at 1:50 p.m. ET today.

In the middle of the Redskins' power game sits Cousins, who performed well in relief of RGIII last season. The former fourth-round pick will get three games to audition for other teams.

It looks like Kirk Cousins will have a chance to play his way out of Washington.

What happens if its RGIII who ends up being put on the block, and not Cousins?

Shanahan might prefer the pocket passer to the running QB, and the coaches might like Cousins better talent wise from what they see at practice, and if he shows the same in the last 3 games could this scenario be possible? Think about who would get more back in terms of value, to bad Al Davis wasn't still alive for the Redskins sake he might have given up 5 1st rounders for RGIII. But in all seriousness the Skins would have to start at the very least 2 first rounders, and a 2nd, I think that's what they paid for him in the first place, but I think they would ask for a lot more to start with.

Or, he could play like he has in every opportunity he's had outside of week 15 last year (and the two passes he threw in week 14) and put up a 1-2 TD-INT ratio and leave the Redskins in a position where they would be happy to get a 5th rounder for him.

This guy's resume is lighter than the four QBs I mentioned earlier and people actually believe the Redskins are gonna get major high picks for this guy? Not after Kolb busted out in Arizona. 

Well with Kolb they had to give up two 2nd's AND give him a big money deal.  A team that acquires Cousins can continue to let him operate on his dirt cheap rookie contract, with which he still has 2 years left.

You're right that his stock will plummet if he plays poorly.  But as I mentioned, he's got a bad Atlanta team this week.  The same one that Geno got a Rookie of the Week honor playing against.  I hazard a guess that he'll have a nice game.

What happens if its RGIII who ends up being put on the block, and not Cousins?

Shanahan might prefer the pocket passer to the running QB, and the coaches might like Cousins better talent wise from what they see at practice, and if he shows the same in the last 3 games could this scenario be possible? Think about who would get more back in terms of value, to bad Al Davis wasn't still alive for the Redskins sake he might have given up 5 1st rounders for RGIII. But in all seriousness the Skins would have to start at the very least 2 first rounders, and a 2nd, I think that's what they paid for him in the first place, but I think they would ask for a lot more to start with.

No freaking chance RG3 gets moved.  None.  And Shanahan is about to get fired.

It looks like
Kirk Cousins
will have a chance to play his way out of Washington.

No. Stop it.

Brett Favre

Steve Young

Nick Foles

Kurt Warner

I can play that too.

None of those are close to being accurate comparisons. 

Brett Favre attempted all of four passes for the Falcons and no one was clamoring for his services.

Steve Young was a first round pick in two leagues but was thought of as a bust when the 49ers traded for him to be Joe Montana's backup - a position he held for five years before becoming the full time starter. 

Nick Foles has already done 1000 times more in this league than Kirk Cousins and will probably be the Eagles de facto starter heading into the 2014 season so there will be no line of teams trying to get him.

Kurt Warner bounced around from team to team with little to no fanfare before he got his shot. He also had only thrown 11 passes in mop up duty for the Rams in 1998 before he became the starter due to a season ending injury to Trent Green in the preseason in 1999. 

No, the guys I mentioned are far more accurate comparisons to what is going on with Kirk Cousins. Cousins has started all of one NFL game. He played well that day... he also threw a pick and fumbled. If Geno Smith put up the exact same numbers in a game right now, people on this board would be ripping him for the pick and nothing else. 

If you are convinced Geno isn't the guy based on 13 starts, why would you be convinced Cousins is the guy based on one?

I'm not sold that Geno is or isn't the guy and would not be opposed in any way to bringing in another young prospect to compete with him for next year. But I don't want the Jets giving up multiple picks for Kirk Cousins under any circumstances. 

Well with Kolb they had to give up two 2nd's AND give him a big money deal.  A team that acquires Cousins can continue to let him operate on his dirt cheap rookie contract, with which he still has 2 years left.

You're right that his stock will plummet if he plays poorly.  But as I mentioned, he's got a bad Atlanta team this week.  The same one that Geno got a Rookie of the Week honor playing against.  I hazard a guess that he'll have a nice game.

True, so is he sucks this week his stock will be zero. 

Plus, Shanahan is starting to look like he is trying to get fired. I wouldn't be surprised if this week's gameplan isn't exactly up to snuff. 

La Canfora: Shanahan Just Shoved ‘All-In’ on Snyder, Redskins

by Chris Lingebach

December 11, 2013 1:00 PM

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports says Mike Shanahan is “all-in” in forcing Dan Snyder’s hand into action, by reportedly deciding Griffin will sit the remainder of the season in favor of Kirk Cousins.

A subsequent report indicated that Griffin won’t even be on the field on game days – that he’ll be inactive, with Rex Grossman taking assuming the position of backup to Cousins.

La Canfora sounded off on Shanahan after the news broke, saying it’s now a matter of millionaire vs. billionaire in a high-stakes game of chicken, and deconstructed the entire argument for excusing the Redskins’ head coach of wrongdoing as his tenure spirals down the drain in Washington.

“At this point if you’re all-in, and you’ve raised the ante, you’re not going to fold your cards and just go back to RGIII,” La Canfora said. “You’re going to play Kirk Cousins. You’re going to play this thing out and see if the owner reacts. This is a high-stakes game of chicken. It’s a millionaire and a billionaire going to war. It’s a battle over ego, it’s a battle over power, it’s a battle at the end of the day about money, and Shanahan wanting to keep everything that’s owed him, but I think even for Shanahan it’s about a little bit more than that.”

“This is someone who feels like he has a Hall of Fame candidacy,” La Canfora said. “He feels like he’s built a Hall of Fame resume, who obviously has two Lombardi trophies but, the argument’s always made: What has he done without Elway and Terrell Davis? Not much. What has he done the last decade? Not much. What happened in Denver? They handed him the whole building, it failed; patently mediocre at best. What happened in Washington? Even by Redskins standards, this has been a complete abomination of a coaching tenure, and it’s going to go down completely in flames.”

He afforded Shanahan no leniency in this 5-minute video rant aimed at setting the record straight, but rather presented Shanahan recent actions as a measured, highly orchestrated exit strategy.

“It’s clear what he’s trying to do is protect what’s left of his legacy,” La Canfora went on. “‘Nothing to see here. It’s all Dan Snyder’s fault. He’s a terrible owner, doesn’t everybody know that? He meddles. I’m just a poor, innocent head coach.’ Well, don’t buy any of that. The guy had all this set up ahead of time. It was very Machiavellian.”

“He’s out in his place in Mexico getting the pieces in place,” he said of Shanahan when he took the job. “Getting Bruce Allen there to be the De facto general manager, getting $35 million guaranteed to do this job, getting full control over the organization, every facet — what color the drapes are, what color the carpets are, picking the game day roster, picking the 53-man roster, all that is Mike Shanahan. The whole debacle with Donovan McNabb: Mike Shanahan. The idea that he can win with Grossman and Beck: Mike Shanahan. The waving of the white flag in the middle of last season, ‘Oh, we’re playing for next year; you know we’re pretty much done.’ Mike Shanahan.

“All these shenanigans the last few weeks and the leaked stories, and the trying to get out of town now, quick with his money: Mike Shanahan. You can’t have it both ways. Anyone who thinks he’s a shrinking violet who sits in the corner while Dan Snyder berates him and says ‘You must trade six picks for RGIII’ is incredibly naïve, very foolish, and just read the man’s contract.”

“People in that building know just how much control Shanahan had,” La Canfora would go on to say. “People in that building know that nobody was pushing around Mike Shanahan. And people in that building know that it’s hardly a revelation that if the Redskins have a superstar player, the owner might gravitate towards him, and things might get a little bit weird in that regard.”

Plus, Shanahan is starting to look like he is trying to get fired. I wouldn't be surprised if this week's gameplan isn't exactly up to snuff. 

Yep!  Pretty sure he's trying to get the boot and get that money sitting on his ass.

Sooooooooo, do the Jets hire Shanahan if this happens?

:)

None of those are close to being accurate comparisons. 

Brett Favre attempted all of four passes for the Falcons and no one was clamoring for his services.

Steve Young was a first round pick in two leagues but was thought of as a bust when the 49ers traded for him to be Joe Montana's backup - a position he held for five years before becoming the full time starter. 

Nick Foles has already done 1000 times more in this league than Kirk Cousins and will probably be the Eagles de facto starter heading into the 2014 season so there will be no line of teams trying to get him.

Kurt Warner bounced around from team to team with little to no fanfare before he got his shot. He also had only thrown 11 passes in mop up duty for the Rams in 1998 before he became the starter due to a season ending injury to Trent Green in the preseason in 1999. 

No, the guys I mentioned are far more accurate comparisons to what is going on with Kirk Cousins. Cousins has started all of one NFL game. He played well that day... he also threw a pick and fumbled. If Geno Smith put up the exact same numbers in a game right now, people on this board would be ripping him for the pick and nothing else. 

If you are convinced Geno isn't the guy based on 13 starts, why would you be convinced Cousins is the guy based on one?

I'm not sold that Geno is or isn't the guy and would not be opposed in any way to bringing in another young prospect to compete with him for next year. But I don't want the Jets giving up multiple picks for Kirk Cousins under any circumstances.

Truthfully, I don't think Geno has the accuracy (based on his performance thus far) to be an NFL starter. As far as backups that might be starters, I do think there are more guys out there, but because the coach/GM/owner fall in love (see Tim /Mark Sanchez), we never get to see what they really have (although we did with Tim Tebow).

Truthfully, I don't think Geno has the accuracy (based on his performance thus far) to be an NFL starter. As far as backups that might be starters, I do think there are more guys out there, but because the coach/GM/owner fall in love (see Tim /Mark Sanchez), we never get to see what they really have (although we did with Tim Tebow).

I really don't. There are coaches who have forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know who see these guys in practice EVERY DAY. The amount of diamonds in the rough that are sitting on NFL benches ain't large. 

What's more likely is a guy like Rich Gannon or Josh McCown or Jim Harbaugh - who is good enough to hang around as a career backup and get the occasional start but then suddenly has nice run of games late in his career when he finds himself in the right situation surrounded by talent.

Realistically, does Gannon become an MVP candidate with the Raiders if he's not playing with Jerry Rice and Tim Brown? Does Josh McCown have his recent success with the Jets skill position players around instead of Forte, Jeffrey and Marshall? Doubtful on both counts. 

Don't be surprised to see Mark Sanchez have a nice run like this with a team 4-5 years from now. 

i dont understand why anyone thinks the redskins could ever get a first round pick for cousins. al davis is dead

Especially this year. Maybe in a year where the draft is very lean on QB's like last year, where basically there werent any good prospects, BUT this year with all the talent at QB coming out, that a team would probably balk at a 1st for Cousins, and say we will just draft one from this solid class, especially now with the Rookie wage scale being so Franchies friendly.

Especially this year. Maybe in a year where the draft is very lean on QB's like last year, where basically there werent any good prospects, BUT this year with all the talent at QB coming out, that a team would probably balk at a 1st for Cousins, and say we will just draft one from this solid class, especially now with the Rookie wage scale being so Franchies friendly.

in any year....i don't see where cousins is worth anywhere near a first round pick

Archived