Rex admits incompetence over and over

77DRAFT

Recently Rex stated that the Jets lost their way offensively for a several game

stretch this year. and that it was his fault.

Last year he stated that the Jets used Tebow completely  wrong, and that

it was brain dead to use him the way they did, completely ignoring the

way Denver used him, and that it was his fault.

Next year  if Rex is back, he will bring brain dead offensive football with him,

and the Jets will be limited, personally I need a coach who hasn't used up

all his brain cells, who doesn't cut guys like Cotch and Woodhead,

who doesn't promote incompetent coaches to assistant head coach

or bring in friends to coach and pay them 1 mil a year.  This is BS

and the work of an unprofessional fool.

Rex cost the team in a huge way by sacrificing Sanchez, he would have

been worth a 3 or a 4 to Several teams mid season, but Rex wanted to win a game

that was meaningless to everyone but him.  Maybe their is a convict in a state prison

Rex can visit and recruit for next year, but only if it means cutting a great player

who is under contract so we can pay him to play for someone else, it's how

Rex does things.  We paid Cotch over a Million a year to play for the Steelers.

"we lost our way offensively."   Rex Ryan

Time for the Jets to find their way with new leadership, excuse after

excuse doesn't cut it, and Petine is a better DC than Rex, he will get a shot

to coach in this league, that's probably the only thing Rex was right about.

Next year  if Rex is back, he will bring brain dead offensive football with him,

that was meaningless to everyone but him.  Maybe their is a convict in a state prison

Rex can visit and recruit for next year, but only if it means cutting a great player

Just curious, why do you hit return on your posts in the middle of a line?  It looks strange that way.

Sanchez would have been worth a 3 or a 4 to several teams mid-season? Several? Sanchez was due some $25M over the next 2 seasons.  The only one one could maybe argue would have given up anything would be Green Bay, who one could argue just needed someone to keep them in it until Rodgers came back (and that was worth a draft pick for half a season) but Rodgers broke his collarbone after the trade deadline had already passed.  Anyone else would need to be a contender right then in 2013 to give up a good pick for him mid-season, since they can get him for no draft picks in March.

Using him in that pre-season game was a blunder (how much of a blunder depends on who one asks, though) but no one was giving up jack squat mid-season for a QB they could get for free after another 8 regular-season games, let alone a 3 or a 4.  In particular with a supposed QB-rich draft coming up next year and that 3 or 4 could be needed to help move up to get one of them.

Sanchez would have been worth a 3 or a 4 to several teams mid-season? Several? Sanchez was due some $25M over the next 2 seasons.  The only one one could maybe argue would have given up anything would be Green Bay, who one could argue just needed someone to keep them in it until Rodgers came back (and that was worth a draft pick for half a season) but Rodgers broke his collarbone after the trade deadline had already passed.  Anyone else would need to be a contender right then in 2013 to give up a good pick for him mid-season, since they can get him for no draft picks in March.

Using him in that pre-season game was a blunder (how much of a blunder depends on who one asks, though) but no one was giving up jack squat mid-season for a QB they could get for free after another 8 regular-season games, let alone a 3 or a 4.  In particular with a supposed QB-rich draft coming up next year and that 3 or 4 could be needed to help move up to get one of them.

I agree with this. I think it would have been difficult to get anything of value for Sanchez during the season.

I think the "Sanchez blunder" really cost the Jets big in a number of ways this season.

First, it eliminated any option we had at QB. Regardless of what you think of Sanchez ... and yes, he has been bad the last 2 seasons for a variety of reasons ... but I still believe he would have proved a better option at QB this year, if not for his experience alone, with Marty running the offense. I honestly believe it may have meant one or two more wins, which probably would have gotten them a playoff birth as it turned out.

More importantly, playing Geno in his rookie year behind a pourous offensive line and very little talent around him may have irrepairably damaged him for the long term. That of course, remains to be seen. As you may know, I'm on record here as never being a big fan of Geno Smith, even in college, and I was very down on the Jets for drafting him to begin with. This season has certainly done nothing to change my opinion. I still don't believe he is the answer at QB. However, if you do believe he is, I don't think the Jets did him any favors this season in terms of his long term development.

But then again, developing quarterbacks has never been a big strength of this franchise to begin with.

Only my opinion.

I agree with this. I think it would have been difficult to get anything of value for Sanchez during the season.

I think the "Sanchez blunder" really cost the Jets big in a number of ways this season.

First, it eliminated any option we had at QB. Regardless of what you think of Sanchez ... and yes, he has been bad the last 2 seasons for a variety of reasons ... but I still believe he would have proved a better option at QB this year, if not for his experience alone, with Marty running the offense. I honestly believe it may have meant one or two more wins, which probably would have gotten them a playoff birth as it turned out.

More importantly, playing Geno in his rookie year behind a pourous offensive line and very little talent around him may have irrepairably damaged him for the long term. That of course, remains to be seen. As you may know, I'm on record here as never being a big fan of Geno Smith, even in college, and I was very down on the Jets for drafting him to begin with. This season has certainly done nothing to change my opinion. I still don't believe he is the answer at QB. However, if you do believe he is, I don't think the Jets did him any favors this season in terms of his long term development.

But then again, developing quarterbacks has never been a big strength of this franchise to begin with.

Only my opinion.

Fair enough.  Geno obviously hasn't been good, but I think it's convenient to just award the Jets every win they had with Geno over to the Jets with Sanchez, and then add on more wins on top of that.  

Look at Sanchez's month of December last season.  His crowning achievement over that span was not fumbling while Greene & Powell ran over 2-win Jacksonville for almost 80 yards and a TD apiece.  

Then in the pre-season this year we saw this veteran QB screw up that halftime mess and lose possession after fumbling away a snap.  I mean, there's no indication that we'd have won even the same amount of games as last year.  

It is possible we'd have won 9 or more with Sanchez.  It's also possible we'd have lost 10 or more.  A QB with that type of history of turnovers and blunders doesn't get any automatic wins awarded to him no matter what the team did - good and bad - in his absence.

Fair enough.  Geno obviously hasn't been good, but I think it's convenient to just award the Jets every win they had with Geno over to the Jets with Sanchez, and then add on more wins on top of that.  

Look at Sanchez's month of December last season.  His crowning achievement over that span was not fumbling while Greene & Powell ran over 2-win Jacksonville for almost 80 yards and a TD apiece.  

Then in the pre-season this year we saw this veteran QB screw up that halftime mess and lose possession after fumbling away a snap.  I mean, there's no indication that we'd have won even the same amount of games as last year.  

It is possible we'd have won 9 or more with Sanchez.  It's also possible we'd have lost 10 or more.  A QB with that type of history of turnovers and blunders doesn't get any automatic wins awarded to him no matter what the team did - good and bad - in his absence.

Everything you say here is understandable.

I guess I'm just of the belief that a more experienced quarterback, even one with Sanchez's recent history, would have benefited from an experienced offensive coach like Mornhinweg. At least we've seen stretches of Sanchez playing well, especially in the post-season. I'd like to believe that Marty could have built on that and perhaps pulled some more consistency out of Mark ... there were glimpses of it the preseason. Sanchez was clearly their best option coming into the regular season, at least in my opinion.

But its all conjecture ... we'll obviously never know.

He admits his mistakes.  Not many NFL HC's are ballsy enough to do that.  I like that he holds himself accountable, but he NEVER holds his players accountable.  Drives me fekking nuts.

Admitting to a mistake, is not the same thing as incompetence.

The single best thing Rex did for our offense was to send Sanchez out to the wolves in that preseason game.  At least we got a look at Geno and Idzik can decide where to go at QB from here.  Besides, Sanchez was horrible and the fans truly hate him.  It would've been such a morale killer had Sanchez been our starting QB this year.  At least Geno made it interesting (for a few games).

He admits his mistakes.  Not many NFL HC's are ballsy enough to do that.  I like that he holds himself accountable, but he NEVER holds his players accountable.  Drives me fekking nuts.

We don't know if he holds the players accountable behind the scenes.  The HC absolutely should publicly take all the blame (thus deflecting it away from his players) and give all the credit to his staff/players.  But that's just the "by the book" way in professional sports. What happens when the media isn't there to scrutinize is where the coaching happens.

I guess I'm just of the belief that a more experienced quarterback, even one with Sanchez's recent history, would have benefited from an experienced offensive coach like Mornhinweg. At least we've seen stretches of Sanchez playing well, especially in the post-season. I'd like to believe that Marty could have built on that and perhaps pulled some more consistency out of Mark ... there were glimpses of it the preseason. Sanchez was clearly their best option coming into the regular season, at least in my opinion.

Wow, Geno must really stink for you to be sentimental about Sanchez.

The single best thing Rex did for our offense was to send Sanchez out to the wolves in that preseason game. At least we got a look at Geno and Idzik can decide where to go at QB from here. Besides, Sanchez was horrible and the fans truly hate him. It would've been such a morale killer had Sanchez been our starting QB this year. At least Geno made it interesting (for a few games).

If anything we have learned this season it was that Geno was in no way ready to be the starting QB and probably still isn't. He needed a year or two with a clipboard and instead got served to the sharks and responded poorly. Much like Sanchez did when he was a rookie. He could have used seasoning too but that isn't the way of the NFL much anymore.

I would agree with this 100% if not for the fact that Rex not only refuses to correct his players for being a-holes, but he defends them and tells everyone that there's nothing wrong with their behavior.  He doesn't give anyone any reason to believe he's holding guys accountable, and the fact that the behavior doesn't change, confirms it.  I like Rex, and I want him to stay...but sometimes I think he tries too hard to be their buddy.  I just hope Idzik tells him he's keeping his job, until the next time he publicly defends a player for a blatantly selfish A-hole move.  Hold people accountable.  When the media asks, tell them it's being addressed and that's it.  None of this, "well, tone is a good guy and a great teammate..." garbage. 

We don't know if he holds the players accountable behind the scenes.  The HC absolutely should publicly take all the blame (thus deflecting it away from his players) and give all the credit to his staff/players.  But that's just the "by the book" way in professional sports. What happens when the media isn't there to scrutinize is where the coaching happens.

Wow, Geno must really stink for you to be sentimental about Sanchez.

I'm not as down on Sanchez as most.

Put any QB behind a bad O-line, working with very little talent around him and it's tough to really evaluate them fully.

The offensive line started to take a turn for the worse in Sanchez's third year, and last year was the worst under Sparano. While it was not great this year by any stretch, I still think it was much better than last year.

I think a QB in his 5th year would have faired better in Mornhinweg's offense than a rookie who I was never sold on to begin with. 

For this reason, I think the decision to play him in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game when all you had to fall back on was a rookie QB was about as assinine as it gets.

Just my opinion.

I'm not as down on Sanchez as most.

Put any QB behind a bad O-line, working with very little talent around him and it's tough to really evaluate them fully.

The offensive line started to take a turn for the worse in Sanchez's third year, and last year was the worst under Sparano. While it was not great this year by any stretch, I still think it was much better than last year.

I think a QB in his 5th year would have faired better in Mornhinweg's offense than a rookie who I was never sold on to begin with. 

For this reason, I think the decision to play him in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game when all you had to fall back on was a rookie QB was about as assinine as it gets.

Just my opinion.

Wow - a defense of Sanchez.  That's interesting!  I'm not being sarcastic, either.  I was a believer in him early in his career.  I thought he had good footwork and he seemed to step up in bigger games.  I remember thinking he had a shot to be good after he played well in the Indy AFC championship game his rookie year.  And even the way he did the limited stuff he was asked to do vs the Chargers.  I thought they could fully "reign him in" and then slowly "let him out" and that would be how he'd learn to play QB.  But things clearly went backwards in years 3 and 4 and then the whole thing last year with the fans being thrilled to see McElroy come in.  I have no way of knowing this but it's just a hunch that his confidence is shot.  I think it would've been a disaster if he started this year.  I think the fans would've gotten on his every mistake and we could've had a Matt Schaub situation in NY.

Wow - a defense of Sanchez.  That's interesting!  I'm not being sarcastic, either.  I was a believer in him early in his career.  I thought he had good footwork and he seemed to step up in bigger games.  I remember thinking he had a shot to be good after he played well in the Indy AFC championship game his rookie year.  And even the way he did the limited stuff he was asked to do vs the Chargers.  I thought they could fully "reign him in" and then slowly "let him out" and that would be how he'd learn to play QB.  But things clearly went backwards in years 3 and 4 and then the whole thing last year with the fans being thrilled to see McElroy come in.  I have no way of knowing this but it's just a hunch that his confidence is shot.  I think it would've been a disaster if he started this year.  I think the fans would've gotten on his every mistake and we could've had a Matt Schaub situation in NY.

The Schaub comparison is an interesting one. 

I think his confidence has definitely taken a hit and the Jets haven't done anything to help his development the last 2 years.

You might be right about the Jet fans getting on him this year. I think alot of it depended on the start the team would have gotten off to.

I just would have liked to see him play a year under Mornhinweg. I think the kid was really handicapped last year under Sparano and the last 2 years with the talent put around him. At least this year, he would have had a little better O'line, a decent running game, and a professional OC to work with. Geno had to deal with it to, but I still think a 5 year vet would have provided a better result at the position. I understand others who wanted to see what Geno could do this year so the Jets could find out if he could play, but I honestly hate throwing away seasons where the playoffs are in reach because if history shows anything, any team that gets to the tourment has a chance. Plus, as I've said a number of times on this board since last April, I never felt Geno was an NFL starting QB.

But my main point of the post here though was only to say that I thought the decision that got Sanchez hurt was one of the most stupid I've ever seen in 45 years of watching football, especially since the Jets really had no viable alternative at the position going into the season. 

All that said, it'll be interesting to see where Sanchez lands and to see if he can salvage his career as a starter with another team. For the record, I think he can if he can end up with a team and a coach who knows how to develop QB's and is willing to put offensive talent around him ... something the Jets haven't done for either him or Geno.

I do not think Rex really blames himself enough.  If he really cared, he would be thinking and acting along these lines...

Totally agree. This is a guy who had admitted to 'losing the locker room' or at least the pulse of it. Brought in Tebow with no plan on how to use him. He is also a HC that allows players to mouth off to opponents in the media much the way HE used to his first three years here. Rex gave Jets opponents bulletin board material week after week, and then WONDERED why teams hated the Jets. Rex Ryan is a gigantic buffoon who should have been canned along with Tanny last year, but the turnip owner did not want to pay him to NOT coach.

I think with the pre-season Sanchez was having, that the Jets COULD have gotten a second or third rounder from Jacksonville, Cleveland or Oakland. Until the idiot Rex ruined his season Sanchez was the BEST QB on the roster and I hope Idzik doesn't forget what his impulsive idiot HC did.

Yeah and he has made a lot of them. Which just goes to show what an idiot he is AND those fans who support him are. This is a guy that has done more than Coslet, Carroll or Walton to get the axe, and yet HERE he STILL is. At least one more week. The list of Rex's mistakes far outnumbers his accomplishments. He really hasn't accomplished much of ANYTHING since he arrived. He has fallen far short of his predictions and 'guarantees' and reduced the Jets to a rebuilding project just two years after reaching the AFC championship. Who else gets rewarded for sh*t like that?

Of course we'll never know.  But Sanchez has shown no indication that he's grown like veterans do after 4 consecutive years of starting at the NFL level.  Even this offseason, given how raw Geno was he should have been able to sleepwalk through the competition.  It should have been a no-brainer that it isn't even worth looking at Geno because Sanchez is 10 levels further along and just flat-out better in every aspect.  But that wasn't the case.  Geno lost the competition much more than Sanchez winning it.  The only thing Sanchez had going for him in the competition is David Garrard retiring in May.

I think with the pre-season Sanchez was having, that the Jets COULD have gotten a second or third rounder from Jacksonville, Cleveland or Oakland. Until the idiot Rex ruined his season Sanchez was the BEST QB on the roster and I hope Idzik doesn't forget what his impulsive idiot HC did.

His pre-season was atrocious.  The only thing in his favor, as I mentioned above, is that Geno was even worse.  

Yeah and he has made a lot of them. Which just goes to show what an idiot he is AND those fans who support him are. This is a guy that has done more than Coslet, Carroll or Walton to get the axe, and yet HERE he STILL is. At least one more week. The list of Rex's mistakes far outnumbers his accomplishments. He really hasn't accomplished much of ANYTHING since he arrived. He has fallen far short of his predictions and 'guarantees' and reduced the Jets to a rebuilding project just two years after reaching the AFC championship. Who else gets rewarded for sh*t like that?

I disagree. I think the idiots are the ones who like the idea of bringing in a new HC every 3-5 years as the Jets have proven time and again, no continuity is a bad thing. Also, if you Think Rex was worse than Coslet/Carroll/Walton, then let me be the first to welcome you as a brand new fan of the New York Jets, and might I recommend a quick "google" of the other clowns. You will find that Rex accomplished far more than any if those losers did.

Archived