Any of these potential DB cuts interest you?

eboozer

Dimitri Patterson CB Dolphins $5,400,000 Been injured most of 2013...Lower cost player would provide similar contribution

Asante Samuel CB Falcons $5,250,000 Will likely earn $2 million escalator to make cap savings $7.25 million....too much money and potential bonuses to keep...cut players like this before

Carlos Rogers CB 49ers $5,105,468 With the 49ers salary cap getting tight Rogers will be a logical candidate to release

Antrell Rolle S Giants $7,250,000 Hard for a rebuilding team to consider holding on to high priced veteran leader...if open to reduced salary he could be back

Ike Taylor CB Steelers $7,000,000 Soon to be 34 year old could be salary cap casulty...Could instead work out 2 to 3 year extension to lower cap costs

Greg Toler CB Colts $4,166,666 Missed time due to injuries...overpaid compared to secondary market...could wait until after draft to make decision

Cortland Finnegan CB Rams $4,000,000 One of 5 worst contracts in NFL...Rams owe him $3 million parting gift but keeping him costs additional $6 million of wasted money

Dunta Robinson CB Chiefs $3,300,000 One of few weak links on Chiefs D...limited role for over $3 million salary...likely finished

Some good players on that list but I don't think a rebuilding team like the Jets should pay big bucks for aging players at this stage. If we were a playoff team looking for a quick fix via free agency to fill a much needed weakness yeah we might look at one of these guys but we are not in that position yet and I don't think signing guys 30 + is a good idea right now.

A corner that I do like in the Upcoming FA market is Chimdi Chekwa. He's big and and lightning speed. Could use some help with technique but he would be fairly cheap

Considering the fact that he has defended 2 passes in his three year career, and both of those were back in 2011, you are probably right about needing help with his technique.  

Dimitri Patterson CB Dolphins $5,400,000 Been injured most of 2013...Lower cost player would provide similar contributionAsante Samuel CB Falcons $5,250,000 Will likely earn $2 million escalator to make cap savings $7.25 million....too much money and potential bonuses to keep...cut players like this beforeCarlos Rogers CB 49ers $5,105,468 With the 49ers salary cap getting tight Rogers will be a logical candidate to releaseAntrell Rolle S Giants $7,250,000 Hard for a rebuilding team to consider holding on to high priced veteran leader...if open to reduced salary he could be backIke Taylor CB Steelers $7,000,000 Soon to be 34 year old could be salary cap casulty...Could instead work out 2 to 3 year extension to lower cap costsGreg Toler CB Colts $4,166,666 Missed time due to injuries...overpaid compared to secondary market...could wait until after draft to make decisionCortland Finnegan CB Rams $4,000,000 One of 5 worst contracts in NFL...Rams owe him $3 million parting gift but keeping him costs additional $6 million of wasted moneyDunta Robinson CB Chiefs $3,300,000 One of few weak links on Chiefs D...limited role for over $3 million salary...likely finished

Samuel is a zone guy, doesn't fit Rex's current system, Ike Taylor is a guy I would love for a year, but not on a big deal like he might want.

Brent Grimes, Aqib Talib, Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis, Peanut Tillman, Tim Jennings, Sam Shields, DeAngelo Hall

Doesn't Davis have 1 more year under contract with colts? Forgot about Grimes.... would be expensive though.

Same with Talib and Jennings.

Shields, Hall and Tillman could be had in the $4-6 mil range

Considering the fact that he has defended 2 passes in his three year career, and both of those were back in 2011, you are probably right about needing help with his technique.

He'd definitely be a project, but he would be cheap, possibly a good punt returner and is fast enough that receivers won't blow by him like they did Cro and Wilson this year. Rex would be a good teacher for him

Rolle would be the only guy I want from the list of castoffs and cap causalities but as already stated, he'll be back with the Gints.  In hindsight, too bad we did not re-sign Digs-- he had a huge season in Baltimore.

He's been gone since 2010 and is also an UFA.  I think last year was his first actual "good year"  He is not the kind of cover safety that we generally want and is usually benched on passing downs.  I don't see how he adds much beyond what Landry, Jarrett and Allen.   I don't think that he has ever had more than a one year deal.  He's been a FA after the 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013 seasons.  

Brent Grimes, Aqib Talib, Alterraun Verner, Vontae Davis, Peanut Tillman, Tim Jennings, Sam Shields, DeAngelo Hall

Doesn't Davis have 1 more year under contract with colts? Forgot about Grimes.... would be expensive though.

Same with Talib and Jennings.

Shields, Hall and Tillman could be had in the $4-6 mil range

doubtful that grimes is allowed to leave miami, but if he is i'd hope the jets pounce. he's a good player

Archived