Jets Decline to Commit to Geno as Starter

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would mean they are 100% committed to Mr.. 63 QB rating.   

I think it would mean they let Geno compete with a vet they sign and with a QB they draft in round 3 or later.  You bring in a QB in round 1 and trade away picks to get him you end up with a QB with no weapons to throw to.  At some point you need to improve the skill players on offense - a legit #1 receiver and a legit #1 TE.  You need to make life easier on a QB - be it a rookie, a 2nd year guy, or a veteran. 

Manziel is fun to watch in college but he will get killed in the NFL.  RGIII is fun to watch but all those amazing moves and speed got him killed his rookie year and this year defensive players were just lining his up for big hits.  Manziel looks quick in college but in the pros a lot more defensive players are gonna be just as fast and hitting hard.

The last Jet QB to do that? NONE, we havent had anything near what Manziel brings. I like your analysisi of "the perfect QB for a young team to grow around". He would excite this fanbase like no player since Namath.

This fan base got excited for Ken Obrien in 1986, for Vinny in 1998, for Chad, for Sanchez...NY loves to get excited and anoint players -- they just don't like them sticking around once they struggle.

This fan base got excited for Ken Obrien in 1986, for Vinny in 1998, for Chad, for Sanchez...NY loves to get excited and anoint players -- they just don't like them sticking around once they struggle.

Mildly excited as opposed to WILDLY excited if they get Manziel. Theirs excited and then their is NAMATH/MANZIEL excited. He would own this town, like Joewillie did. I would be more excited to be a JET fan, if they got Manziel than I have been since JoeWillie left the Jets.

Mildly excited as opposed to WILDLY excited if they get Manziel. Theirs excited and then their is NAMATH/MANZIEL excited. He would own this town, like Joewillie did. I would be more excited to be a JET fan, if they got Manziel than I have been since JoeWillie left the Jets.

He would own the town until he has a bad game, or makes a mistake, or isn't as dynamic a scrambler, or he can make the throws because we don't have Evans at receiver....Manziel will be gone early -- the jets would have to give up three picks to move up to get him.  That isn't happening.

Rocky Mountain Refreshment. Wait until the Mountains turn blue. We went through about 5 of those 60 packs last night. Drink 30 and wake up like you just saw Rex Ryan get fired. Nirvana baby.

They don't sell 60 packs in my area of N.J where do you get them?  All my friends drink it I drink Budweiser.

I'm still on page 1 of this thread where one guy is actually bragging about the five 60-packs of Coors Light he & his buddies downed in one night.  Then to counter that, another thumbs his nose at this by bragging that he drinks Budweiser as though it's noticeably better.  What's on page 2, a newcomer to the debate who takes boastful pride in the kegerator of Natty Light in his rec room?

I feel like I just read to two wine snobs name their favorite red, where one says Mad Dog and the other one Manischewitz. 

You guys should just drink out of the toilet and save your money until you make friends with someone who forces you to try beer that doesn't most closely resemble carbonated urine.

I'm still on page 1 of this thread where one guy is actually bragging about the five 60-packs of Coors Light he & his buddies downed in one night.  Then to counter that, another thumbs his nose at this by bragging that he drinks Budweiser as though it's noticeably better.  What's on page 2, a newcomer to the debate who takes boastful pride in the kegerator of Natty Light in his rec room?

I feel like I just read to two wine snobs name their favorite red, where one says Mad Dog and the other one Manischewitz. 

You guys should just drink out of the toilet and save your money until you make friends with someone who forces you to try beer that doesn't most closely resemble carbonated urine.

LOL, truth!

Yours truly,

Gary Vaynerchuk

That would mean they are 100% committed to Mr.. 63 QB rating.

I think that's a little unfair. Geno had next to nothing to work with this year, and got better at the end of the season. I'd like to see the Jets bring in a vet and a (mid level) draft pick at QB, but whoever plays QB for the Jets needs upgraded receivers around him. That's where I'd like to see some money & picks spent.

I think that's a little unfair. Geno had next to nothing to work with this year, and got better at the end of the season. I'd like to see the Jets bring in a vet and a (mid level) draft pick at QB, but whoever plays QB for the Jets needs upgraded receivers around him. That's where I'd like to see some money & picks spent.

How big of a deal is it that we don't really know which QB we're building around until after the draft?  In other words, we have Geno, who is a decent deep ball thrower who can run.  Say we bring in a veteran with accuracy on short routes and a big-armed pure pocket passing QB in the draft, and we have no idea which of those 3 starts.  Could that potentially create an issue?  Or do we not care, since anything is better than having David Nelson and Kellen Winslow as 2 of your top 3 options.

How big of a deal is it that we don't really know which QB we're building around until after the draft? In other words, we have Geno, who is a decent deep ball thrower who can run. Say we bring in a veteran with accuracy on short routes and a big-armed pure pocket passing QB in the draft, and we have no idea which of those 3 starts. Could that potentially create an issue? Or do we not care, since anything is better than having David Nelson and Kellen Winslow as 2 of your top 3 options.

This.

I don't think Geno has played at a level where you give up on him yet, and I don't think Rex/Idzik (my iPhone just tried to spellcheck that into "aids ok") want to start next season with another rookie QB. They'll pick up a vet QB before the draft, so they'll have some idea of what they're doing at the position.

How big of a deal is it that we don't really know which QB we're building around until after the draft?  In other words, we have Geno, who is a decent deep ball thrower who can run.  Say we bring in a veteran with accuracy on short routes and a big-armed pure pocket passing QB in the draft, and we have no idea which of those 3 starts.  Could that potentially create an issue?

Makes no difference.  Competition; winner starts.  Hopefully it doesn't go down to the wire again.

I hope Geno turns into something, and don't think all hope is necessarily lost with regards to him, but the early returns were not good.  You can't hand someone the starting job after a season like he just had, rookie with no wepponz or otherwise. 

They need to bring in a realistic veteran option at QB in March, in case Geno is no better and in case we don't like (to start this season) the rookies available to us when it's our pick in the draft.  Unless that veteran is Cutler, whose signing would instantly indicate he's the starting QB for the next few years at a minimum, I think you also draft another one of these prospects.  

2014 competition:  

1. Geno

2. Newly-signed veteran (a serious option who could start the whole season if needed; not David Garrard again)

3. 2014 rookie

IMO that's what a team does if they're serious about improving the QB position as soon as humanly possible. 

Makes no difference.  Competition; winner starts.  Hopefully it doesn't go down to the wire again.

I hope Geno turns into something, and don't think all hope is necessarily lost with regards to him, but the early returns were not good.  You can't hand someone the starting job after a season like he just had, rookie with no wepponz or otherwise. 

They need to bring in a realistic veteran option at QB in March, in case Geno is no better and in case we don't like (to start this season) the rookies available to us when it's our pick in the draft.  Unless that veteran is Cutler, whose signing would instantly indicate he's the starting QB for the next few years at a minimum, I think you also draft another one of these prospects.  

2014 competition:  

1. Geno

2. Newly-signed veteran (a serious option who could start the whole season if needed; not David Garrard again)

3. 2014 rookie

IMO that's what a team does if they're serious about improving the QB position as soon as humanly possible. 

Agreed wholeheartedly.  And my guess is we'll likely enter camp with a 4th guy, either Matt Simms or some UDFA type.

You just stick to your diatribes on the JET woes, and cures, and we will stick to trumpeting the virtues of finely brewed ale, with the purest water mother nature has to offer.

He would own the town until he has a bad game, or makes a mistake, or isn't as dynamic a scrambler, or he can make the throws because we don't have Evans at receiver....Manziel will be gone early -- the jets would have to give up three picks to move up to get him.  That isn't happening.

So he as all these "faults" as you point out, but then in the next breath, say that he wont be available for the JETS? you cant have it both ways. Either he "stinks" as you say and will easily fall to the JETS or he is a dynamic playmaker, with leadership and charisma, and will be scarfed up by many GM's who dont seem to share your opinion. Which one?

Yes I already suggested, trading up this year, using our #1 this year, our #2 this year, and a #2 next year. LESS than what Washington had to give up for Griffin, for the most dynamic playmaker in college in the past 10 years.

So he as all these "faults" as you point out, but then in the next breath, say that he wont be available for the JETS? you cant have it both ways. Either he "stinks" as you say and will easily fall to the JETS or he is a dynamic playmaker, with leadership and charisma, and will be scarfed up by many GM's who dont seem to share your opinion. Which one?

Yes I already suggested, trading up this year, using our #1 this year, our #2 this year, and a #2 next year. LESS than what Washington had to give up for Griffin, for the most dynamic playmaker in college in the past 10 years.

Because a team has never reached for a player before?

You just stick to your diatribes on the JET woes, and cures, and we will stick to trumpeting the virtues of finely brewed ale, with the purest water mother nature has to offer.

I'm sorry, but did you just refer to Coors Light as a finely brewed ale with virtues?

The only virtue I can think of is that it's not made in China yet.

I'm sorry, but did you just refer to Coors Light as a finely brewed ale with virtues?

The only virtue I can think of is that it's not made in China yet.

but what about that pure rocky mountain spring that runs right through the production facility ?

Archived