Kotwicka signs with Redskins

pfilippone

The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Ben Kotwica (COT-wee-kuh) as Special Teams Coordinator.

Kotwica is entering his eighth NFL season after spending the first seven years of his NFL career in various coaching capacities with the New York Jets.

Before assuming the role of coordinator in 2013, Kotwica assisted with the Jets’ special teams in multiple roles across the 2007-12 seasons.

The Jets accounted for 10 combined kick and punt return touchdowns during his time as an assistant, tied for most in the AFC and tied for second-most in the NFL.

The Jets averaged a league-best 24.6 yards per kick return in those six seasons and had a kick returner finish in the Top 5 in the NFL in kick return four times (Joe McKnight, 2012; Joe McKnight, 2011; Brad Smith, 2010; and Leon Washington, 2007).

Kotwica helped Leon Washington earn his first career Pro Bowl berth as a kick returner following the 2008 season.

In addition to his football career, Kotwica’s background includes his time as a decorated officer who spent eight years in the United States Army after graduating from the United States Military Academy at West Point.

His military career included operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Korea and Iraq. In 2004, he was deployed as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom II, serving as a Combat Attack Helicopter Commander and flying more than 1,000 combat hours in support of five maneuver Brigades within the 1st Calvary Division.

During his service, Kotwica was awarded with the Army Achievement Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal and the Bronze Star.

Kotwica played at Army from 1993-96 and was a three-year starter at linebacker.

He was the captain of the only 10-win team in Army history, leading the Black Knights to a 10-2 record and the program’s most recent Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy in 1996.

KOTWICA FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1993-96:          Linebacker, United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point

2005-06:          USMA Prep School, Defensive Coordinator

2007-08:          Quality Control – Defense/Special Teams, New York Jets

2009-12:          Assistant Special Teams, New York Jets

2013:               Special Teams Coordinator, New York Jets

2014:               Special Teams Coordinator, Washington Redskins

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Ben-Kotwica-Brought-In-For-Special-Teams/307f42fa-6d39-41ad-823d-0db238bf2d4c

Wonder what happened there.  I read that Kotwicka had a big hand in Folks great year.  Apparently all he had to do was lighten Nicks workload.  I guess Westoff had him kicking about a 1/3rd more throughout the week which might have tired Folk out come game day. 

It could be he just didn't like the uncertainty of the situation and bolted for long term security under a 1st year coach.

Looks like he got bounced even though he improved as the year went on, most ST coordinators

really struggle for the first 6 -8 games of their tenure, he wasn't at all aggressive and maybe didn't

feel like he could be, probably would have been okay in the long term.

Wonder what happened there.  I read that Kotwicka had a big hand in Folks great year.  Apparently all he had to do was lighten Nicks workload.  I guess Westoff had him kicking about a 1/3rd more throughout the week which might have tired Folk out come game day. 

It could be he just didn't like the uncertainty of the situation and bolted for long term security under a 1st year coach.

Are you listening to yourself in this post? The kicker was getting tired at game time? WOW, do you know what Parcells used to say about kickers? If he wasnt forced by the CBA, to let them on the plane, he would make them take the bus to the game.

Are you listening to yourself in this post? The kicker was getting tired at game time? WOW, do you know what Parcells used to say about kickers? If he wasnt forced by the CBA, to let them on the plane, he would make them take the bus to the game.

Listening to myself? I didn't say it.. folk did. Considering he was perfect for the majority of the season id say he might be on to something. I don't care if our kicker is a tough guy. I just want him to make the fgs.

Listening to myself? I didn't say it.. folk did. Considering he was perfect for the majority of the season id say he might be on to something. I don't care if our kicker is a tough guy. I just want him to make the fgs.

Yeah, of course, but it does sound a bit funny when we start worrying if the freaking kicker is getting "tired".

Here's a great kicker story. At Cortland where my buddy was an assistant football coach, they got this kicker to walk on, and the dude only spoke like broken english, he was a spanish soccer player. So they send him out to kickoff, and he gets blasted as the other team was running it back. OK no problem, Well, they tell Juan (thats his name ) to go out for the next kickoff, and he refuses and Juan says in his broken english: "Juan no kick, you not tell Juan he gets hit", and thats the last they ever saw of Juan.

Yeah, of course, but it does sound a bit funny when we start worrying if the freaking kicker is getting "tired".

Here's a great kicker story. At Cortland where my buddy was an assistant football coach, they got this kicker to walk on, and the dude only spoke like broken english, he was a spanish soccer player. So they send him out to kickoff, and he gets blasted as the other team was running it back. OK no problem, Well, they tell Juan (thats his name ) to go out for the next kickoff, and he refuses and Juan says in his broken english: "Juan no kick, you not tell Juan he gets hit", and thats the last they ever saw of Juan.

Gotta admit that's pretty damn funny.

Maybe the reason they aren't announcing Rex's deal, or even finalizing one, is that they want to keep up the facade that various assistants are not going to get changed.  They tell the assistants they want that a deal will be offered in a week or two, and give cover to the ones they don't want, such as Kotwica,  to be theoretically still employed to look good when they look for another job.

They did that with Schotty-they were ready to let him go but he was interviewing for a HC job somewhere.  When he didn't get it, then they let him go.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/open-thread-special-teams-will-improve-right?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

This article is only interesting for the fact that everybody (including me, see thread title) is having difficulty spelling Kotwica's name.    Kowitca?  LOL.

Let's get a ST coordinator with an easier name!

I've heard him say on 98.7 several times that he would like to coach again

Heard the same, how's his leg doing? He always seemed like a salty chap, but he was extra surly when he was having issues with it, and deservedly so. Seemed much healthier the last few times I saw him on air, if that's the case, I wouldn't be at all surprised with him wanting to return.  

Archived