NFL Draft prospect announces he's gay: Michael Sam, OLB/DE Missouri

T0mShane

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surmising that it would drop him because if he has 4th round talent to begin with, the distraction probably isn't worth it. What happens if he comes into camp, doesn't do enough to earn a roster spot, then you have to cut him? That becomes a huge story.

I'm aware I'm a SEC homer, but usually the co-DPOY in the SEC isn't gonna have a hard time struggling to make the 53.

Edit: I understand your point, I just don't think it's going to be an issue. 

I'm aware I'm a SEC homer, but usually the co-DPOY in the SEC isn't gonna have a hard time struggling to make the 53.

Edit: I understand your point, I just don't think it's going to be an issue.

King, Caplan, and Darlington immediately tweeting that personnel departments were already extremely aware that he was gay (he came out to his teammates last year). I wonder if that had anything to do with the initial late-round evaluation.

Will be interesting to see how this is handled. He had a beastly college career, but was projected to be a 4th-5th rounder prior to the announcement. One would think that this drops him at least a round.

Pretty tough situation. This cleary isn't a fugazi situation like the whole Jason Collins charade....but teams are going to be scared to cut him if he doesn't work out as a player. People create witch hunts for a lot less these days.

Props to Sam though, wish him the best. He's a good player.

Pretty tough situation. This cleary isn't a fugazi situation like the whole Jason Collins charade....but teams are going to be scared to cut him if he doesn't work out as a player. People create witch hunts for a lot less these days.

Props to Sam though, wish him the best. He's a good player.

Look at the Chris Kluwe situation. Dude was statistically one of the worst punters in the league two years ago and he claims he was blackballed for his pro-gay stance.

Look at the Chris Kluwe situation. Dude was statistically one of the worst punters in the league two years ago and he claims he was blackballed for his pro-gay stance.

I really never got the impression anyone was taking him seriously. If anyone was full of hate it seemed to be him.

We'd have to defend why we haven't cut anyone else who can't play in years. Its too bad Tanny isn't still here. We'd be the perfect landing spot

Will be interesting to see how this is handled. He had a beastly college career, but was projected to be a 4th-5th rounder prior to the announcement. One would think that this drops him at least a round.

4th or 5th rounder? Guy was a consensus all-American who played at an SEC school (the same school that produced Sheldon Richardson BTW,) how the hell was he only projected as a 4th or 5th rounder?

4th or 5th rounder? Guy was a consensus all-American who played at an SEC school (the same school that produced Sheldon Richardson BTW,) how the hell was he only projected as a 4th or 5th rounder?

He's kind of a tweener. Played with his hand in the ground most of the time but might be too small to play DE in NFL. Of course, almost 12 sacks in the SEC is no joke.

He's a tweener. Every year there are players who put up big sack numbers in college but drop to the sixth, seventh round because of size/speed limitations.

He's kind of a tweener. Played with his hand in the ground most of the time but might be too small to play DE in NFL. Of course, almost 12 sacks in the SEC is no joke.

Being the first ever consensus all-American from the same program that produced the reigning DROY can't hurt. The tweener thing makes sense but based on his play and his pedigree 4th or 5th round seems kind low. 

Rhodes is the flip side to Kluwe. With all the wretched safeties in the league, they couldn't find that dude a job?

I can't disagree but I'd be lying if I said I ever wanted him back. His head was never into football and I didn't like how he played. Plenty of teams he could have upgraded though

Kicked in a dome, to boot.

For the life of me I'll never understand these types of ppl

If there's one thing I hope to achieve from sharing this story, it's to make sure that Mike Priefer never holds a coaching position again in the NFL, and ideally never coaches at any level.

Archived