NFL Might Experiment with 42-yard extra point attempt

flgreen

I don't see how all that stuff is connected. 

An extra point is a play. A play that results in adding to your team's score. It serves no purpose if it's so automatic. It can be relatively easy, as it's only 1 point, but 99.6% success means the play isn't worth running. 

Adding to one's score should either require completing a task that has a (realistic) possibility of failure or just award the point for free on the TD.  The extra point is arguably the dumbest, most senseless, most purposeless event in professional sports.

IRT one of your other posts regarding the end of game and 1 point decding the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo

I thought I read somewhere earlier in the off-season that that was considered.

You take the 7 or try for two.

I agree with you needing it to be not automatic. Push it out to 42. Looking at the 40-49 stats for Kers, it is not automatic, but most kickers do pretty good (+80%) at it.

Report: NFL might experiment with 42-yard extra-point attempt

ap713803089120.jpg?w=600&h=375

The necessity of extra points after touchdowns has become a hot topic during the offseason. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

The NFL has discussed experimenting with a longer extra point during the preseason, reports NFL.com’s Judy Battista.

According to the report, the league’s competition committee held preliminary talks last weekend and discussed placing the ball at the 25-yard line for the kick, which would essentially make every extra point a 42-yard attempt.

Currently, the ball is placed at the two-yard line on extra-point attempts.

In 2013, kickers missed only five of 1,267 extra-point attempts, a 99.6 percent success rate. Twenty-seven kickers hit 100 percent of extra-point attempts last season.

BURKE: 2014 NFL franchise tag tracker

In January, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the competition committee might eventuallyget rid of extra points in favor of a revised scoring system.

More from NFL.com:

http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/03/nfl-experiment-extra-point-attempts-longer/

The conversion rate of field goals between 40 and 49 yards last season was 83 percent. The last time the extra-point conversation rate regularly fell below 90 percent was in the 1930s and early 1940s. That would surely give coaches something to ponder when weighing whether to kick for one point or try for two, with the success rate for two-point conversion attempts typically around 50 percent.

ya, but dont forget , you will choose a 1 pt 42 yd extra pt or a 2 pt conversion still from a still to determined yard line.

I think they should keep it the same - but offer perhaps a 2 point and 3 point kick range for extra points. I dont want to see my team miss an extra point after driving 80 yards for the score. But it would keep more games alive in their last minutes if you could add 2 or 3 points after a drive.

I don't see how all that stuff is connected. 

An extra point is a play. A play that results in adding to your team's score. It serves no purpose if it's so automatic. It can be relatively easy, as it's only 1 point, but 99.6% success means the play isn't worth running. 

Adding to one's score should either require completing a task that has a (realistic) possibility of failure or just award the point for free on the TD.  The extra point is arguably the dumbest, most senseless, most purposeless event in professional sports.

So the NFL wants to trump that by coming up with an even more idiotic concept of having a game potentially decided on a missed extra point?

The point is rather simple, there needs to some sort of alignment with the difficulty of the task and the reward for it.  It is the entire reason why the extra point is currently so short.  If they want to make it less automatic because of that than so be it, but making a one-point play more difficult than the majority of three-point plays is completely nonsensical.

I'm actually a big enough statistical dork that I bothered to look at these numbers, and over 55% of all attempts and over 59% of all makes on FG attempts this seasons occurred within 39 yards.  So even not accounting for 40 - 42 yard attempts (which I'm seriously not going to go through that crap), you're still talking about making the XP from a further distance than most FG attempts.  How does that make any sense?

So the NFL wants to trump that by coming up with an even more idiotic concept of having a game potentially decided on a missed extra point?

The point is rather simple, there needs to some sort of alignment with the difficulty of the task and the reward for it.  It is the entire reason why the extra point is currently so short.  If they want to make it less automatic because of that than so be it, but making a one-point play more difficult than the majority of three-point plays is completely nonsensical.

I'm actually a big enough statistical dork that I bothered to look at these numbers, and over 55% of all attempts and over 59% of all makes on FG attempts this seasons occurred within 39 yards.  So even not accounting for 40 - 42 yard attempts (which I'm seriously not going to go through that crap), you're still talking about making the XP from a further distance than most FG attempts.  How does that make any sense?

The reason the NFL chose this distance is because its basically about the same percentage as going for two is. This is to encourage teams to try for two instead of kicking it. 

The reason the NFL chose this distance is because its basically about the same percentage as going for two is. This is to encourage teams to try for two instead of kicking it.

No, it's more like the attempt for two would become less than twice as difficult (the current success rate hovers a little below 50%), making it statistically smarter to go for it 100% of the time if the success rate for the 42 yard one point play has a success rate in the low 80s.

ya, but dont forget , you will choose a 1 pt 42 yd extra pt or a 2 pt conversion still from a still to determined yard line.

Or you go MachaBellichkian and try a drop kick extra point from the 2 point conversion attempt.

i wonder how much 2-pt conversation % falls when you remove those instances where the conversation was made due to a (1) fake or (2) recovery from a bad snap. hell maybe it even goes up. i can't think of last time a bad snap resulted in 2.

Archived