The Captain is a Viking

Gastineau Lives

Vikings signed CB Captain Munnerlyn to a three-year contract.

Munnerlyn is obviously stretched outside at 5-foot-8 and 195 pounds, but he's one of the best slot corners in the game. Still only 26 -- he turns next month -- Munnerlyn turned in a breakout 2013 campaign as a 16-game starter, setting career highs in tackles (74), sacks (3.5), and pass breakups (12). He has four pick sixes over the past two seasons. Look for Munnerlyn to start outside on early downs and cover the slot in Mike Zimmer's nickel package.

Who's next? DRC?

DRC apparently turned down the contract that Talib got from the Broncos.  Unless he was actually considering that whole retirement farce, he's going to miss out on some serious coin. I guess outside of the Browns or Raiders, I can't see any team giving him that same deal or anywhere close. 

Really wanted Captain.  Still some decent names out there...Thurmond, Browner, DRC, even Cro...has Tillman been signed?

Also, is Carlos Rodgers a FA?  Thought he was but I'm not hearing his name anywhere.  Could even go Bailey as a stop gap if they want to draft a corner early as I predicted a month ago.

Really wanted Captain.  Still some decent names out there...Thurmond, Browner, DRC, Rodgers, even Cro...has Tillman been signed?

Also, is Carlos Rodgers a FA?  Thought he was but I'm not hearing his name anywhere.  Could even go Bailey as a stop gap if they want to draft a corner early.

Bailey and Rogers are older than dirt.

Really wanted Captain.  Still some decent names out there...Thurmond, Browner, DRC, Rodgers, even Cro...has Tillman been signed?

Also, is Carlos Rodgers a FA?  Thought he was but I'm not hearing his name anywhere.  Could even go Bailey as a stop gap if they want to draft a corner early as I predicted a month ago.

Tillman still a FA.  Rogers got cut by the 49ers...I think he's been linked with the Redskins, but he's not been signed by anyone yet.

Bailey and Rogers are older than dirt.

You're not finding the future at CB in FA at this point.  Those guys are solid stop gaps if you're looking to groom another rookie and Milliner, which clearly the Jets are in that mode.

Tillman still a FA.  Rogers got cut by the 49ers...I think he's been linked with the Redskins, but he's not been signed by anyone yet.

All those vets that maybe have a year or two left would work in since clearly they're going corner early.

Is Cro being linked anywhere? 

You're not finding the future at CB in FA at this point.  Those guys are solid stop gaps if you're looking to groom another rookie and Milliner, which clearly the Jets are in that mode.

All those vets that maybe have a year or two left would work in since clearly they're going corner early.

The Jets need to sign Cro tonight I agree with you.

Very disappointed about losing out on such a great name.  To compensate, I'm going to pretend to be glad we signed Captain Pettigrew and to continue to root for us to sign Captain Rodgers-Cromartie.

Ha-ha Clinton-Dix is still at Alabama he has NY Jets written all over him.

Agreed. 

Cro is supposedly on a flight to Arizona.

Vikings signed CB Captain Munnerlyn to a three-year contract.

Munnerlyn is obviously stretched outside at 5-foot-8 and 195 pounds, but he's one of the best slot corners in the game. Still only 26 -- he turns next month -- Munnerlyn turned in a breakout 2013 campaign as a 16-game starter, setting career highs in tackles (74), sacks (3.5), and pass breakups (12). He has four pick sixes over the past two seasons. Look for Munnerlyn to start outside on early downs and cover the slot in Mike Zimmer's nickel package.

Who's next? DRC?

I think it's time we all get familiar with Bradley Roby, CB Ohio St. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Jets draft him at 18, or try, and trade back into the 20's, and draft him there. The Jets were all over him at Ohio ST's pro day, and he is an ideal man cover CB for Rex's system, off field issues is the only reason he isn't being talked about in the same breath as Gilbert, Dennard, and the other top tier CB's.

I'd even take crazy old Cortland Finnegan. 

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have Revis back -- but only because he's Revis.  Otherwise I've never understood the obsession with finding a top notch corner this offseason.  Milliner looked better at the end of the season and we've all discussed how bad Cro was last year.  

I'd prefer Browner or Tillman of the options left, I think....but any of them will do.  Milliner - free agent corner - Wilson is perfectly fine by me.  Find a pass rusher in the draft and the D is more than solid.

Last year, around this time (just before the draft), we had Cro and Wilson as the starters. Cro was pathetic.

This year, we have Wilson and Milliner, who outplayed Cro towards the end of the year and should be much more mature.

So its not like we are in a terrible spot. People here panic as if we don't have the draft to fill any need.

Really wanted Captain.  Still some decent names out there...Thurmond, Browner, DRC, even Cro...has Tillman been signed?

I think it is rude to schedule a visit and then not show up.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have Revis back -- but only because he's Revis.  Otherwise I've never understood the obsession with finding a top notch corner this offseason.  Milliner looked better at the end of the season and we've all discussed how bad Cro was last year.  

I'd prefer Browner or Tillman of the options left, I think....but any of them will do.  Milliner - free agent corner - Wilson is perfectly fine by me.  Find a pass rusher in the draft and the D is more than solid.

If Milliner plays like a first round pick this year, then we only need a decent CB on the other side.  If Milliner plays like he did early this past year, we need little rubber tips on our fingers to keep us from chewing our nails off.

If Milliner plays like a first round pick this year, then we only need a decent CB on the other side.  If Milliner plays like he did early this past year, we need little rubber tips on our fingers to keep us from chewing our nails off.

No doubt.  He was drafted to be a #1, though, and they think he can be that.  Let's find out.

I'd prefer Browner or Tillman of the options left, I think....but any of them will do.  Milliner - free agent corner - Wilson is perfectly fine by me.  Find a pass rusher in the draft and the D is more than solid

F Mevi$

Last year, around this time (just before the draft), we had Cro and Wilson as the starters. Cro was pathetic.

This year, we have Wilson and Milliner, who outplayed Cro towards the end of the year and should be much more mature.

So its not like we are in a terrible spot. People here panic as if we don't have the draft to fill any need.

This is a great point and to add to what AVM said, finding a serious pass rusher would help the secondary.

I think it is rude to schedule a visit and then not show up.

Did someone do that?

Very true as well but instead of gambling, it would be nice to sign a savvy vet in this scenario.  Someone who can be ready day 1 just in case.

Archived