***Official 2014 JN Mock Draft DISCUSSION Thread***

HessStation

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pierre Desir is closer to being a priority free agent than being a 3rd round pick at arguably our greatest position of need.

CBS sports has him ranked as a 2nd-3rd round pick... Drafttek has him at around early 4th. What's your reasoning for him being a UFA? Because he's from a small school?

If you could that'd be awesome... It's this beast from a small school called Lindenwood, Pierre Desir. In only two seasons he had 13 INTs on for a TD, 1 sack, 1 FF, 93 total tackles, 34 PDS, and 3.5 TFLs.

Can't believe he fell to the 3rd round. Nice grab.

make your pick ill delete mine now

CBS sports has him ranked as a 2nd-3rd round pick... Drafttek has him around mid to late 3rd, early 4th. What's your reasoning for him being a UFA? Because he's from a small school?

I honestly didn't see him listed and wasn't overly impressed with his highlight tape.  You would hope a small-school "stud" really shines above his competition, and for me he didn't do that.  He made plays, sure, but didn't really pop off the page...for me. 

Here's his write-up from CBSSports.com, they think a lot higher of him than I do from that limited action I saw from him. Maybe I need to watch him with more patience. 

STRENGTHS: Sports a lean, athletic build with excellent height for the position. Fluid athlete with light feet, flexibility and balance. Has a low backpedal, controlled transition and is a smooth accelerator with good top-end speed. Trusts his athleticism, showing the patience to allow receivers to get close before opening his hips to turn and run downfield.

Aggressively closes on underneath routes. Locates the ball well, showing good hand-eye coordination and body control to adjust to make the tough grab. Has dominated lower-level competition based largely on his natural gifts.

With refining, Desir could emerge as an NFL starter.

WEAKNESSES: Overly reliant on his athleticism and may need significant development from a technical standpoint before competing for playing time in the NFL. Dominated lower level of competition and rarely had to extend his arm to jam receivers when in press coverage, which led to struggles with quicker receivers during the all-star game circuit.

Plays with cover corner mentality against the run, making the tackle when necessary but showing less-than-ideal physicality when attempting to fight through blocks and when making tackles.

COMPARES TO: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos - Like DRC, Desir possesses intriguing size, athleticism and ball-skills. With improved physicality -- especially in run support -- Desir could emerge as a legitimate NFL starter.

--Rob Rang

I'm sticking with Pierre Desir... CB, Lindenwood

Here's another video of him; the music makes him look better, but I'm sticking by my original evaluation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNz7zwLgVmY

If you watch the "plays" he makes against DII competition, he doesn't work for them. He's not baiting QBs, he's not jumping routes, he's gifted interceptions from horrible quarterbacking.  If he was amazing, teams would shy away from him.  I see them passing straight to him...and with the exception of his single one-handed highlight, I wasn't impressed.   

When I saw Danny Woodhead playing against DII schools, you could see that he was head-and-shoulders above the rest of the guys on the field.  I don't see that with Desir. 

He's not overly active in run-support, tackling guys at the ankle.  He runs well with receivers and turns his head well.  But he doesn't time his jumps or high point the ball.  From this limited sample I could see that he's a body-catcher and will struggle to keep up with the speed of receivers in the NFL. 

You pm Matt as well?

Dude.  I gave him a Viking's GM starter kit. 

Ozzieny is slacking on his Mock Draft picks.  Hess is noming you to adopt his responsibilities.  He reps the Vikings and the Packers and is lagging on his current 3rd round pick. 

If you wanna step in, please do.  

You've drafted Johnny Manziel, David Yankey, and Martavis Bryant

Selection Thread:

Discussion Thread:

Team Needs link:

http://espn.go.com/n...nnesota-vikings

(pssst, the vikes have the 31st ranked pass defense and lost Chris Cook in FA)

Sorry.  Staff meeting.  I just pm'ed Mick who I think is OTC with the Falcons.  Shane do you have his pick? 

I was going to take Reynolds there, but the Niners beat me to him.  That is twice I considered a safety.  The first time I passed because I thought it was a big reach and Mick ended up taking Dixon with the next pick.  I had kind of settled on Reynolds who went a few picks earlier.  In retrospect I'd have probably done better for the Skins with a safety than a reach center, but they probably need more of a FS than a SS anyway.

4th rd order:

Houston (2-14)

Washington (3-13)

Atlanta (4-12)

New York Jets - from Tampa Bay (4-12)

Jacksonville (4-12)

Cleveland (4-12)

Oakland (4-12)

Minnesota (5-10-1)

Buffalo (6-10)

St. Louis (7-9)

Detroit (7-9)