Idzik's FA Flop Costs Jets

flgreen

If the Jets signed Verner or DRC or Revis or any other CB they still aren't a playoff team. So they haven't lost anything really.

That's a ridiculous way of looking at it, how do you know they couldn't be a playoff team? They were basically 1 win away from being a playoff team last year.

That's a ridiculous way of looking at it, how do you know they couldn't be a playoff team? They were basically 1 win away from being a playoff team last year.

Exactly. And who did they lose and not replace, Cro? So Antonio Cromartie was the linchpin that was holding our defense together?

I sent Manish a note linking Kristian Dyers  Metro New York Piece that talked aboit Idzik approaching FA w/long term success in mind etc and manish send me a DM saying 'Kristian, LOL'

I thought that was a low blow to fellow journalist

Folks forget this is way he was trained,,build thru draft, make good trades sending draft picks for guys like marshaawn Lynch/harvin, and THEN when team is ready for legit SB run, THEN you spend money in FA like Sealltle did in 2013 and this year (jared Allen??) etc

I sent Manish a note linking Kristian Dyers  Metro New York Piece that talked aboit Idzik approaching FA w/long term success in mind etc and manish send me a DM saying 'Kristian, LOL'

I thought that was a low blow to fellow journalist

Wow, how unprofessional of him. No class!

Do you really think Decker is no better than what the Jets trotted out last year? Really?

I'm disappointed with FA so far, too, but that seems a little out of whack to me.

Yea well if you combined Kerley, Salas and Nelson's numbers all together then yea, they are JUST AS GOOD!!! 43+36+8=87 for 1089...OK, Decker had 200 more yards than our trio here...TBH slats I didn't realize that that kid had 87 catches for 1288 last year...pretty damn good even WITH Peyton throwing to him. You still have to get open and then catch the ball.

cromartie

berry

trufant

Cromartie, a guy who tore his ACL in training camp and a special teams ace.  The latter is actually someone that I'm bummed over losing, but those are the types of signings Stoic doesn't even care about, considering our seven in-house signings he waved off as nobodies. 

For a 1st time GM Idzik has taken complete control of the organization and put the bullet squarely on his back.    For better or worse he is building the roster EXACTLY the way he wants to  build it.   If the Jets stay at 8-8 or take a step backward this year the bullseye will be squarely on his back. 

If nothing else, I applaud his balls for doing it his way and standing up to the pressure from operating in the NY media market.  

The problem is that Iggy has a HC who philosophically is miles apart from him. I agree with Manish on this one, Iggy will be fired for NOT signing Darrelle Revis. THIS will be a huge story, especially if Revis helps the Pats beat the Jets with a pick (a virtual guarantee) and possibly a SB. The media is not forgiving or forgetful when it comes to glaring errors like that. Iggy had a chance to be a hero to the fans - like myself - who LOVE Revis and signing him would have helped the Jets and hurt the Pats (what could be better?). Those who watched First Take this morning were treated to a 15-min segment on just how far apart Iggy and Rex are and that privately Rex is seething over Iggy's indecision problem. Iggy better turn his attention to getting DeSean Jackson in here so that he can correct his error by drafting a CB in round one.

I guess Izdik thinks it will be better to have Kyle Wilson and Dee Millner as our starting cornerbacks instead slightly overpaying for one of the FA cornerbacks.

The Jets will have to get some playmakers in the draft because they are going to have to score alot of points as every team will be scoring on us

snooze,, draft, trades, Vet camp salary cuts in July/Aug and we arent SB run worthy in 2014 (maybe 2015) anyways

he asked. I answered. yes, there are many ways to acquire talent in this league. being SB worthy or not has no bearing at all to improving this team

Rex Ryan: I feel really good about our cornerbacks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/20/rex-ryan-i-feel-really-good-about-our-cornerbacks/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

So far this offseason the Jets have released cornerback Antonio Cromartie and missed out on several cornerbacks in free agency. And perhaps most galling, one of coach Rex Ryan’s all-time favorite players, cornerback Darrelle Revis, signed with the rival Patriots. So how does Ryan feel about that?

Ryan says he feels great. Speaking to reporters today, Ryan downplayed any concerns about the Jets lacking talent at cornerback.

“I feel really good about our corners,” Ryan said. “Obviously Dee Milliner, he’s a young man that we had a lot of high expectations for, and he started to fulfill those expectations later in the year. We kind of predicted that he would go through some growing pains and then come out of it and that’s exactly what he did. . . . Obviously we have Kyle Wilson who has been in that nickel role for us for a while. We were willing to get Ellis Lankster back, who is an outstanding special teams presence for us, but will maybe have more of a chance in different roles. Darrin Walls is kind of like our relief pitcher, he filled in for us, so we’re comfortable there. [They are] guys that have been in our system a while. And there’s another guy, Ras-I Dowling, a guy that we really thought a lot of. . . . I’m happy with the guys that we have.”

But while Ryan might like the guys he has, none of those guys is nearly as good as Revis, or even as good as Cromartie. There’s been some talk that Ryan is unhappy with Jets General Manager John Idzik for getting rid of Revis and Cromartie, but Ryan says that’s not the case.

“As far as ever being upset with John, know that there can’t be anything further from the truth than that. We are in this together. We have a great plan,” Ryan said.

So far, that plan has not included acquiring a cornerback.

Draft pick number 18 will be a cornerback. It has to be, but he better get another WR before that time comes. Sidney Rice would be a great addition and as much as I like the fact that Iggy won't overpay, you also have to balance that with the question, "Does this guy make us better?" and if the answer is yes, YOU SIGN HIM.

he asked. I answered. yes, there are many ways to acquire talent in this league. being SB worthy or not has no bearing at all to improving this team

the hell it doesnt, ,it changes who and how contract structured based on whether u r SB ready now or not..

And? Everyone else is improving too and we still have a huge unknown at the most important position. If anything, the Jets have just tread water as opposed to actual improvement.

It amazes me that so many people are in love with Woody Johnson hire John Idzik.

Idzik like Tannenbaum before him were paper pushers neither of which has a clue about evaluating football talent. Having Terry Bradway as your leading scout is not what I would call a very good evaluator of football talent. Forgive me if I just don't trust the moron Johnson for anybody that he hires has proven to be a failure and has either been fired or has run as far away from this football operation as they possibly can.

Idzik is another Woody Johnson ceap hire and how he likes cheap hires as he clearly is the biggest moron as far as NFL owners go for he doesn't have a clue about football otherwise he would have given full autonomy to a GM who has won perennial winners and he would have opened his checkbook and spent more than anybody else to get the best football minds in the NFL.

I read these stories about how we should be like Lemmings and just jump off the cliff with Johnson and Idzik at the helm. Too funny for me for I gave up my tickets several years ago when Woody Johnson asked me to pay for his NJ stadium. I told him to go F...-Off as I will never give that SOB another penny of mine.

The Jets have not had an identity since Shea Stadium and this jackass of an owner who never did work a day in his life took the high road and sold out all Jet fans to a life in NJ rather than in NY.

How this turncoat could have decided that it was better to be co-tennant with NY Giants than have his own identity clearly spells cheap to me. Woody Johnson had to beg his brother and sister for his trust money otherwise who knows maybe Mark Cuban is the owner of the NY Jets and we have our own stadium in NY and a few AFC Championships and another Super Bowl however that is nothing more than a dream.

Too funny to think that all of these Jet fans some who are extremely bright would trust a GM who has no talent evaluating football experience.

I would have never hesitated in bringing back revis for 12 million for if they did that then they could have said goodbye to Cromartie. Millner IMHO has proven absolutely nothing and he is what I would call a very soft NFL player who is physically weak and has had just too many injuries in his college days to ever be a NFL player that I would consider to be an everyday player. In fact Millner IMHO sucks and will never even be a 2nd grade CB.   

the hell it doesnt, ,it changes who and how contract structured based on whether u r SB ready now or not..

no offense meant here, the gm's job is to improve with team as much as he can with resources he has at his disposal. has nothing to do with who is at qb and how close they are to the super bowl. there is a reason that many consider the jets not to be super bowl contenders. that reason is lack of talent, pure and simple. a team improves their talent, they cease to be long shots for the super bowl

no offense meant here, the gm's job is to improve with team as much as he can with resources he has at his disposal. has nothing to do with who is at qb and how close they are to the super bowl. there is a reason that many consider the jets not to be super bowl contenders. that reason is lack of talent, pure and simple. a team improves their talent, they cease to be long shots for the super bowl

disagree, idzik finally 'gets  it' seattle built thru draft / trades and only spent big $ in Scheniders 4th year when team was SB ready.

Let us get to where we need thru draft etc then I am confident we will spend $ when it makes sense.

Most of guys we passe don will be over aged or due new contract when we are SB worthy in 2016..

But wtf do I know.. u may be right ;)

It amazes me that so many people are in love with Woody Johnson hire John Idzik.

Idzik like Tannenbaum before him were paper pushers neither of which has a clue about evaluating football talent.

Welcome to the board, and I'm sorry to have to tell you, given it's only two sentences into your first post, but this statement is 100% completely media-fabricated nonsense that has been disproved countless times on this board.  Idzik has been involved in pro personnel throughout his NFL career, specifically starting in that role and moving up within it throughout his time with the Bucs, Cardinals, and Seahawks.  Before any of that, he had coaching jobs on the college level.  The guy even grew up with involvement in football given that his father was a long-time NFL coach, including with the Jets.

Just because he had a portion of his career involved with contracts, which is generally part of the job of Assistant GMs, does not in any way make him the same as Tanny.  You can't believe the nonsense spewed by the Mehtas and Ciminis of the world, because despite their best efforts to claim that was the case at the time of the hire, it's simply not true.

I understand you may not like the guy or the decisions he makes, which is certainly your prerogative and perhaps justified, but it's not because he doesn't know anything about football.

We need a speed rusher, someone who can be a game-changer like Jon Abraham was in his rookie season. A pass rush is the best antidote to a weak secondary. We need someone who can come in and get a dozen or so sacks, be it a draft pick or a FA or a trade. That guy is STILL M.I.A. Once again the Gholston whiff surfaces as a bad mistake that still hurts and has yet to be made up for. Once again, the Jets will be drafting either a D-lineman a CB or an outside LBer DE hybrid type of player. It never ends

Idzik like Tannenbaum before him were paper pushers neither of which has a clue about evaluating football talent.

without googling it, tell us everything you know about idzik

Archived