Randy Lange on first Jets depth chart

faba

r ago

Randy Lange Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com @rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

It's Out Today as Jets Move Toward Thursday Preseason Opener vs. Colts

This morning is the time. The first depth chart of summer is out, with the occasion being the start of the week of our first preseason game, Thursday night at MetLife Stadium against the Colts.

It's never a good idea to read too much into any depth chart, yet there are a number of things that can be observed about this one, beginning with the novel way we're presenting our first three running backs. And you can find the actual depth chart here (although we're still working on the slash part for the chart itself).

1. Three-Dreaded Monster at RB?

Returning Jets Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell and veteran newcomer Chris Johnson are all listed as first-teamers, complete with a pair of slashes. If only Bilal would consider dreadlocks as the two Chrises have, some endorsement possibilities could open up here.

This is the third straight summer that Rex Ryan has gone "slash." Last year, before Mark Sanchez's season-ending shoulder injury in the third preseason game, he and Geno Smith were listed as co-starters at QB. And for the 2012 preseason and on into the regular season, the coach listed LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell and Eric Smith as three-into-two starters at the safety spots.

2. The Starter at QB Is...

Speaking of Geno, Smith is No. 1 at QB and Michael Vick is No. 2, no slash. No surprise here since this is the way they were deployed at Saturday night's Green & White practice. Matt Simms, last year's first backup to Smith, checks in at third on the depth chart and rookie Tajh Boyd is No. 4.

3. Jacoby's Triple

Jacoby Ford is the only player listed three times on the initial DC. He's fourth at WR on Kerley's side behind David Nelson and Clyde Gates. He's also the first kickoff returner and the third punt returner.

4. The Rookie Class

The only with any kind of first-string status is fourth-rounder Jalen Saunders, who's listed as the first punt returner. Saunders fielded punts at the Green & White but there were no returns that night. Five rookies are running with the twos — draft choices S Calvin Pryor, TE Jace Amaro, CB Dexter McDougle and G Dakota Dozier, plus free agent FB Chad Young.

5. Nose Is a Rock

Position with the least number of backups? That would be nose tackle, where Damon Harrison is with the ones and Kenrick Ellis is backing up. Although T.J. Barnes (6'7", 364), listed as first backup behind DT Sheldon Richardson, could certainly move over in a pinch.

6. The Guard Rotation

Similarly, only two players are listed at LG and at this moment Brian Winters is the first-stringer ahead of Oday Aboushi, although the two friends will continue their competition for the spot this week. But there are two rookie guards, Dozier and Will Campbell, both behind Willie Colon at RG.

7. Tough Lineup to Crack

For the defense, 10 of the 11 players who started last year's season finale at Miami are listed as ones on this depth chart. The only change: Dimitri Patterson at cornerback (so far at camp mostly at left CB with Dee Milliner on the right side) for four-year RCB starter Antonio Cromartie, now with the Cardinals.

8. More Open Offense

For the offense, 7⅓ of the starters return from that defeat of the Dolphins. At RT, Breno Giacomini opens up as the first-teamer replacing Austin Howard, now with Oakland. Eric Decker moves in at WR for the departed Santonio Holmes. We had no starting fullback at Miami (David Nelson started at third WR) but Tommy Bohanon, who started eight games at FB as a rookie, is the first-stringer. And of the three-headed RB, only one of them, Chris Ivory, needless to say, started vs. the Dolphins.

9. Deep Thoughts

What are our deepest positions? At this time 12 players are distributed between the two WR spots, 16 LBs are spread over the four 'backer positions, and 10 corners will be fighting for positions on the 53-man roster that will be announced around Saturday, Aug. 30. The depth charts after that will be for the games that count

Draft class 2014, Jeebus.

I wouldn't think very many rookies should be penciled in as starters for their first preseason game.  Let them earn it.  I/m not too worried. 

At bare minimum I think it's good that they don't just arrive and assume the position is theirs. 

Oh how we complained that Sanchez was just handed the position without earning it or having to fend off any potential threats. (Milliner too) 

I wouldn't think very many rookies should be penciled in as starters for their first preseason game.  Let them earn it.  I/m not too worried. 

At bare minimum I think it's good that they don't just arrive and assume the position is theirs. 

Oh how we complained that Sanchez was just handed the position without earning it or having to fend off any potential threats. (Milliner too) 

Would hope its also due to the team having more talent.

Not surprising to me at all the rookies are struggling some and are low on draft chart- that is the normal in NFL camps for majority

Agreed. Also not surprising is Rex's inability to designate players as starters. God forbid anyone get upset with him. 

So we now have 3 starting RBs? I suppose they'll all expect to get #1 RB salaries at some point?

Would hope its also due to the team having more talent.

As would I, but I/m also hoping that our draft class can upgrade the talent we had last year at a few positions. It's hard not to improve as a team if that doesn't happen. 

As would I, but I/m also hoping that our draft class can upgrade the talent we had last year at a few positions. It's hard not to improve as a team if that doesn't happen. 

We also had a few FA's who are insta starters. Amaro's basically going to be redshirted this season it seems...and WR's take time. Hill starting as a rookie was because we had no one else...and it showed.

IMO this class was extremely underwhelming on paper even in May. Between Pryor's head, Amaro's drops, and no rookies really having a huge impact, it's just all following the pattern of meh that began in the Spring.

You guys are joking, right?  I am pretty sure Rutgers was, but the rest of you?  This is nothing surprising.  Almost every team will list last year's starter as a starter on the first depth chart.  It looks much better when the rookie takes over than if the vet has to step back in.  All you have to do is look at the reps and Pryor is going to start.  I don't think anybody else was expected to start.  Pretty funny that people want to blame Rex for this

So we now have 3 starting RBs? I suppose they'll all expect to get #1 RB salaries at some point?

Not sure how you can criticize our handling of RB's.  Other than giving up on "centerpiece" Danny Woodhead in favor of Joe McKnight, I'd say RB is the one position on the field that has actually been handled well by the previous GM, Rex, and Idzik.  RBBC is what works in the NFL today (unless you have AP, Shady, Charles, Forte or Lynch), and right now, we have 3 guys who all have question marks and are about equal in talent.  None of them are RB1's and they know going in this is a committee approach.  What's the problem?

Not sure how you can criticize our handling of RB's.  Other than giving up on "centerpiece" Danny Woodhead in favor of Joe McKnight, I'd say RB is the one position on the field that has actually been handled well by the previous GM, Rex, and Idzik.  RBBC is what works in the NFL today (unless you have AP, Shady, Charles, Forte or Lynch), and right now, we have 3 guys who all have question marks and are about equal in talent.  None of them are RB1's and they know going in this is a committee approach.  What's the problem?

That wasn't a criticism of our handling of the RB position, you nitwit. It was a criticism of Rex's inability to appoint a top dog... save your nonsense about how we don't have a true "RB1", that's fantasy football speak. It's the same drivel that people say about not having a "WR1" with Decker. It's stupid.

Decker is our best WR. He's our WR1. It doesn't matter if he won't put on "true WR1" numbers, like I said, that is fantasy football mentality. 

Chris Johnson is our most experienced, and probably most talented RB. He's our RB1. Call him that, and tell the other guys to go take his job if they want to be RB1. Telling them all they are RB1 is like handing out participation trophies. Nobody can have their feelings hurt. 

That's great for 5 years olds, and maybe you, but not for grown men.

Another example of Rex cupping his players balls too much.

That wasn't a criticism of our handling of the RB position, you nitwit. It was a criticism of Rex's inability to appoint a top dog... save your nonsense about how we don't have a true "RB1", that's fantasy football speak. It's the same drivel that people say about not having a "WR1" with Decker. It's stupid.

Decker is our best WR. He's our WR1. It doesn't matter if he won't put on "true WR1" numbers, like I said, that is fantasy football mentality. 

Chris Johnson is our most experienced, and probably most talented RB. He's our RB1. Call him that, and tell the other guys to go take his job if they want to be RB1. Telling them all they are RB1 is like handing out participation trophies. Nobody can have their feelings hurt. 

That's great for 5 years olds, and maybe you, but not for grown men.

Another example of Rex cupping his players balls too much.

Holy sh*t.  The biggest criticism on Rex's watch was "Not enough competition".  Now there's competitions all over the place and its "Name a # 1 guy before the first preseason game, you idiot!"

Come on.

Holy sh*t.  The biggest criticism on Rex's watch was "Not enough competition".  Now there's competitions all over the place and its "Name a # 1 guy before the first preseason game, you idiot!"

Come on.

Idzik brought the competition, not Rex. 

And that was NOT the biggest criticism of Rex. The biggest criticism of Rex is that he's not a complete head coach, hence the complete lack of an offense for his entire tenure. 

We also had a few FA's who are insta starters. Amaro's basically going to be redshirted this season it seems...and WR's take time. Hill starting as a rookie was because we had no one else...and it showed.

Agreed, but I don't think any of the rooks, outside of Pryor and Amaro and maybe Saunders ST,  were expected to have any real impact this season specifically. That's three from one draft class though and would be excellent if it takes place.

Amaro having a tougher time picking up the playbook doesn't worry me as it does others and I do not think for a second that he will not have a major impact this season. maybe not out of the gate but he will be a big part of what we do.

It's not even the first preseason game. I think most are over reacting a smidge.

IMO this class was extremely underwhelming on paper even in May. Between Pryor's head, Amaro's drops, and no rookies really having a huge impact, it's just all following the pattern of meh that began in the Spring.

maybe, but the pattern of meh is only two weeks in. I'm not ready to call it underwehelming.  I like Saunders and Reilly to have game impact this season in addition to Pryor and Amaro. The first two weeks of practice don't have me freaked out as much as some others. Even if it takes a few weeks into the season to get their heads together I think Pryor and Amaro will be fine and contribute this year. Saunders will be playing ST's right away. That's not too bad especially if we can stash two or three on the practice squad as well.

Idzik brought the competition, not Rex.

Lack of competition usually has more to do with lack of talent rather than poor coaching.  I would have loved for an open competition at QB in the Sanchez years had there been better plan B's than trash like McElroy, Tebow and Simms.  When Geno was brought in we finally had a legit competition at QB. 

And now thanks to Idzik there's competition at just about every position thanks to his dedication to not trading away draft picks, unlike his predecessor, and by making the right moves with trades and free agency.

Lack of competition usually has more to do with lack of talent rather than poor coaching.  I would have loved for an open competition at QB in the Sanchez years had there been better plan B's than trash like McElroy, Tebow and Simms.  When Geno was brought in we finally had a legit competition at QB. 

And now thanks to Idzik there's competition at just about every position thanks to his dedication to not trading away draft picks, unlike his predecessor, and by making the right moves with trades and free agency.

Yeah, which is why I said Idzik brought the competition. Not Rex, like you originally stated. 

Dope.

Agreed. Also not surprising is Rex's inability to designate players as starters. God forbid anyone get upset with him. 

Or maybe it's just Rex's version of keeping his mouth shut and not tipping anyone off as to how he plans to use his RBs. Adding Powell in there is probably a bit much, but game to game, Ivory or Johnson could easily be the first guy in depending on the gameplan. They probably actually are co-starters.

Or maybe it's just Rex's version of keeping his mouth shut and not tipping anyone off as to how he plans to use his RBs. Adding Powell in there is probably a bit much, but game to game, Ivory or Johnson could easily be the first guy in depending on the gameplan. They probably actually are co-starters.

Seems out-of-character for a guy that doesn't care who sees the playbook.

Nah, I'm sticking to my initial thoughts... he's cupping their balls and 80 is a doodie head.

Seems out-of-character for a guy that doesn't care who sees the playbook.

Nah, I'm sticking to my initial thoughts... he's cupping their balls and 80 is a doodie head.

We agree on 80.

Archived