Absolute shocker! Ryan to stick with Geno

DonCorleone

Couple points--you say we need to take more time to make sure we are "absolutely sure" geno Is not the guy in order to avoiding sticking with him too long like Pennington/Sanchez. That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am reading it wrong?

Also if I understand correctly, you are saying use offseason after next season to look for answer at qb. I think jet should be doing that every season until we find the guy. Also think Vick would be an excellent caretaker for a new high draft pick qb. Everyone knows he is at the end and keeping chair warm. Don't really want to live through another Sanchez/geno type competion next season with yet another high draft pick. Keep Vick to effectuate a seamless hand over when the new dude is ready. I liked your post it was an interesting read thanks for writing it :)

Oh, I totally get what you're saying and to be clear I'm only saying that I can see taking more time to be sure they're done with Geno if the team isn't already there.  If they're going to be all wishy-washy about it after benching him, that's not going to do anyone any good.  I know there are a lot of folks who are already completely done with Geno (and deservedly so), but it seems like the Jets aren't yet, which was the only reason for my point.  If the Jets are ready to concede that Geno isn't the answer and that they will go all out for a new QB come this offseason, then that's a completely different story.  I just don't trust that they're there yet.

I'll also concede, which I think you know based on our conversations earlier this year, that I am in no way a fan of Vick's whatsoever, which certainly plays into my thoughts.  I personally don't see much benefit to be gotten from him, though I know you feel differently.  Plus I've never been a believer that benching a guy is going to do a damn thing for him, so that's why I don't see any reason to bench Geno if you have an intention of ever going back to him.  That's not to say if he miraculously got his sh*t together after being benched you don't give him a chance, but I'm saying you bench him with the assumption that this is it and you're moving on for good.  I guess I just figure that knowing this team, if they switch to Vick now, we'll get about 6 to 8 games from him before he's knocked out for the season, Geno will come back, have a few decent games against a far easier schedule to close out the season, and we'll be back in the same mess all over again, with next year's "competition" featuring Geno, a mid-round pick, and some career backup grabbed out of FA.  Frankly, I'd rather suffer for a few more weeks now if it will mean the Jets end up willing to go balls out for their new QB in a few months.

Same bland scripted bullsh*t he said about Sanchez. Get this ******* a$$hole off my team already.

This. It's actually demoralizing to me as a fan. And I'm not even trying to be overdramatic. I almost want to root against them out of pure spite. It's very hard for me to just sit back and watch this coach or/and organization continually make the same mistakes over and over without eventual resentment. The decision feels like they're just turning the knife. And again, I'm not saying Vick could turn around their season either. I just feel extremely sure that, Geno isn't ready and his confidence is shot at the moment. If anything, at least give Vick the chance to light a spark before it's already too late. 

This is just a repeat of the previous years here- poor QB play compounded by same tag line. Vick is not the answer though. This team is just screwed up until we find a reliable QB

I think the question is could that still be Geno. What bothers me is that they don't have to shut the door on him forever just by taking him out now. Watching his confidence and play seem to plummet so early in the season I really don't know how you don't give Vick or even Simms...or both a shot. 

Something seems terribly off about just putting all their eggs in the Geno basket. And, fair or not, it's so eerily similar to the Sanchez situation, it's causing me to hold back from nausea.  

I think the question is could that still be Geno. What bothers me is that they don't have to shut the door on him forever just by taking him out now. Watching his confidence and play seem to plummet so early in the season I really don't know how you don't give Vick or even Simms...or both a shot. 

Something seems terribly off about just putting all their eggs in the Geno basket. And, fair or not, it's so eerily to the Sanchez situation, it's causing me to hold back from nausea.  

We were all hoping that the last month of last season we were seeing Geno progress and mature. The start of this season has seen him back to making mistakes and bad decisions. The past has made us Jet fans not willing to hope for so long anymore- we need to see results

You have to change a variable to get better. Mr. F U is a terrible QB. 

Start Vick. It's why he is here. 

Put Simms on the 53 and make him active.And if Vick falters give Simms a shot-something a senibly-run franchise would have done last December. 

ENOUGH.

Smith is not and is never going to be an NFL QB. Giving him one more snap is a waste of time.

When youre dealing with a turd, the smell test is all you need. We dont need anymore evidence to know its time to flush geno

This. It's actually demoralizing to me as a fan. And I'm not even trying to be overdramatic. I almost want to root against them out of pure spite. It's very hard for me to just sit back and watch this coach or/and organization continually make the same mistakes over and over without eventual resentment. The decision feels like they're just turning the knife. And again, I'm not saying Vick could turn around their season either. I just feel extremely sure that, Geno isn't ready and his confidence is shot at the moment. If anything, at least give Vick the chance to light a spark before it's already too late. 

If he was going to do it this sure does seem like the game. West coast trip far away from the noise, a full week to prepare...etc. Now he's going to be stuck choosing between a home game against Peyton (which he obviously won't do) or a game on 3 days rest up in Foxboro.

I was in favor of giving Geno a few more looks last week, but after yesterday's disaster I don't see how you can. 8 turnovers in 4 games is no joke and that this is an acceptable thing out of his players, that Rex won't hold him accountable for it, it's really so typical. This has been the Rex Ryan we've seen for several years now. The dude is meant to be a coordinator, nothing more. He can't handle his players and he sure as sh*t doesn't know how to manage any roster he's given.

If he was going to do it this sure does seem like the game. West coast trip far away from the noise, a full week to prepare...etc. Now he's going to be stuck choosing between a home game against Peyton (which he obviously won't do) or a game on 3 days rest up in Foxboro.

I was in favor of giving Geno a few more looks last week, but after yesterday's disaster I don't see how you can. 8 turnovers in 4 games is no joke and that this is an acceptable thing out of his players, that Rex won't hold him accountable for it, it's really so typical. This has been the Rex Ryan we've seen for several years now. The dude is meant to be a coordinator, nothing more. He can't handle his players and he sure as sh*t doesn't know how to manage any roster he's given.

this  

1-5 or 1-6 is what my crystal ball said pre season before switch is made

There is no reason to switch ever this season. If we're 1-6 and Vick comes in and wins 3 games that would be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I would yell at you all for getting what your dumbass especially want and watch while the next elway gets picked at 1-3 when we have the 6th pick because of those useless wins.

This is just a repeat of the previous years here- poor QB play compounded by same tag line. Vick is not the answer though. This team is just screwed up until we find a reliable QB

The Jets were kinda screwed picking a QB in a poor 2013 QB draft.

The 2015 draft should be much better.

Oh, I totally get what you're saying and to be clear I'm only saying that I can see taking more time to be sure they're done with Geno if the team isn't already there.  If they're going to be all wishy-washy about it after benching him, that's not going to do anyone any good.  I know there are a lot of folks who are already completely done with Geno (and deservedly so), but it seems like the Jets aren't yet, which was the only reason for my point.  If the Jets are ready to concede that Geno isn't the answer and that they will go all out for a new QB come this offseason, then that's a completely different story.  I just don't trust that they're there yet.

I'll also concede, which I think you know based on our conversations earlier this year, that I am in no way a fan of Vick's whatsoever, which certainly plays into my thoughts.  I personally don't see much benefit to be gotten from him, though I know you feel differently.  Plus I've never been a believer that benching a guy is going to do a damn thing for him, so that's why I don't see any reason to bench Geno if you have an intention of ever going back to him.  That's not to say if he miraculously got his sh*t together after being benched you don't give him a chance, but I'm saying you bench him with the assumption that this is it and you're moving on for good.  I guess I just figure that knowing this team, if they switch to Vick now, we'll get about 6 to 8 games from him before he's knocked out for the season, Geno will come back, have a few decent games against a far easier schedule to close out the season, and we'll be back in the same mess all over again, with next year's "competition" featuring Geno, a mid-round pick, and some career backup grabbed out of FA.  Frankly, I'd rather suffer for a few more weeks now if it will mean the Jets end up willing to go balls out for their new QB in a few months.

I am not as adverse to brining geno back in after benching him. Some guys respond well to a wake up call like elway did as someone here mentioned, others let it break them, and still others accept a very good career as a backup, and that is ok too. Personnally think if geno can spend some time off the back page of the Post working on his craft he can make a very nice nfl career as a backup.

No.  This is all Idzick.  Rex didnt have a Vick to turn to during the Sanchez years and at least Sanchez, from year 1 to year 2, reduced the turnovers significantly and gave you the slightest a glimmer of hope while the Jets went 11-5.  Geno is terrible and the team is 1-3.  Rex wants Vick.  You're crazy thinking otherwise.  This isnt Rex.  Rex is fighting for his job.  This is his GM, wanting his pick to be in the game.

This.  No denying Rex's love for Sanchez but he didnt have a choice and he at least looked to turn the corner to a reasonable game manager in year 2. This isnt really a comparable situation.  Vick is better than Geno.  You couldnt say that about a back-up during the Sanchez years.

Rexs history with QBs does not support your argument. Sanchez still turned the ball over and was a 50% or so passer and Rex stuck by his side for 5 years. The Jets could have gone out and found a back up to push Sanchez at any time, but made half hearted attempts to do so. Same here with Vick.

Vick would have more than 1 play per game if Rex really wanted him on the field. I do not believe for a second that anyone tells the Ryans what they will and wont do.

Rexs history with QBs does not support your argument. Sanchez still turned the ball over and was a 50% or so passer and Rex stuck by his side for 5 years. The Jets could have gone out and found a back up to push Sanchez at any time, but made half hearted attempts to do so. Same here with Vick.

Vick would have more than 1 play per game if Rex really wanted him on the field. I do not believe for a second that anyone tells the Ryans what they will and wont do.

Cool.  I think you're wrong and I dont really give a **** what your stupid opinion is of my team :) 

Surprise Surprise.

gomer.gif

Rex has ZERO say so as to who plays QB this season outside of Smith getting injured.  Idziot is making the call to leave Smith in. Smith is his pick and he will stick with him through this debacle.  Idziot knows his place is safe - for now - regardless of how Smith performs. Smith's contract runs through 2016. If he continues to fall flat on his face this year, which he will, Idziot can cut him after this year. Highly doubtful.  More like 2016. Idziot will then be able to save face by cutting Smith after the 2016 season, and draft another QB.  This organization is a freakin joke.  Rex will be fired by the end of the year. Another 'counter point' which will make Idziot 'look good'. The only hope I see for this team is 1 - Let Smith play and we continue to get beat down and grab the #1 pick(Mariotta) . Unlikely as the 2nd half of schedule is weak and we will end up 5-11 or 6-10.   

2 - Sell the team. Since neither is plausible, it will be another number of years to AGAIN clean house. 

You know sh*t is ****ed when PatriotReign is the reasonable one. The rest of you are insane. He handled the Sanchez benching the exact same way.

So the Get-Rid-Of-Geno countdown is on, not surprisingly from the same folks who wanted him gone at the end of last year.  Kid had a bad game, he's still young, screw it and let's win next week.  Because nothing short of an All-Pro performance for the next 5 weeks is going to please the folks in this thread, lol.

You know sh*t is ****ed when PatriotReign is the reasonable one. The rest of you are insane. He handled the Sanchez benching the exact same way.

Props back to you.

The shelf life of the "Jerry Glanville Institute of NFL HCs" is a short one. Threatening to kick everyone's arse year in and year out gets stale after a while. Rexs brother isn't fairing too well either down in Nola.

We will.  I'm down 25 with Charles and the Pats D.  Interesting position to be in.  Probably going to lose because Football hates me.

Klacko's cooking ribs tonight...going to be a really nice time.

who is bringing dessert?

optima_under2.jpg

We will.  I'm down 25 with Charles and the Pats D.  Interesting position to be in.  Probably going to lose because Football hates me.

Klacko's cooking ribs tonight...going to be a really nice time.

If I wasn't so damn lazy, this really would be the perfect time for a rather infamous image of our buddy Klack to make its return to JN.

Someone else want to get on that?

who is bringing dessert?

optima_under2.jpg

If I wasn't so damn lazy, this really would be the perfect time for a rather infamous image of our buddy Klack to make its return to JN.

Someone else want to get on that?

lulza - I actually havent seen Klacko in probably like a year or so.  I've been out of town for all the games this year.

How funny would it be if I was really going over to eat ribs and watch the Patriots? All of BP's wild fantasies would come true.

Archived