Is Casserly the new GM?

imshot

With all I've been reading about looking for a new head coach, which seems to be the ass backward way of doing things, could Casserlyalready be the GM?

Seriously doubt it. It is much easier to "consult" in the business world than have to do a job every day, year after year.

Panel's list of recommended candidates extensive
January, 2, 2015

By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

The NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel put together a list of recommended candidates for open general manager and head coaching positions around the league, and the Chicago Bears -- which are working with recently hired consultant Ernie Accorsi -- received a book Monday featuring the panel’s recommendations. 

ESPNChicago.com’s Jeff Dickerson reported some of the panel’s recommendations for GM openings, a group that includes Cleveland Browns vice president of player personnel Morrocco Brown, Washington Redskins vice president of football administrator Eric Shaffer, Baltimore Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta, Houston Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan, and Chris Ballard, the Kansas City Chiefs' director of pro personnel. 

The list of coaches recommended by the eight-man panel, which includes Accorsi, Charlie Casserly, Bill Polian, Ron Wolf, Carl Peterson, Tony Dungy, Dennis Green and John Madden, appears to be even more extensive and is more than 50 pages long, according to an NFL source who has seen the list. 

Here’s the list of current NFL coaches recommended by the panel: 

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin 

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles 

Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle 

Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio 

San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio 

Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Ray Horton 

Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson 

Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak 

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi 

Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott 

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak 

Green Bay Packers safeties coach Darren Perry 

Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn 

Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula 

Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton 

Here’s the list of college coaches recommended by the panel: 

UCLA head coach Jim Mora Jr. 

Stanford head coach David Shaw 

Texas head coach Charlie Strong 

Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin 

According to the NFL, the books of the panel’s recommendations feature “a detailed 2-3 page bio on each candidate that includes a wide range of statistics and highlights on their body of work, along with information on getting access to video interviews for many of the candidates.” 

The books are sent to any team requesting them, and the lists include varying types of candidates, such as coaches who specialize in offense or defense, which is certainly apparent based on the diversity featured in the list of recommended coaching prospects. 

“We consider this a tool to assist us in the search process,” McCaskey said. “Several other teams have taken advantage of this resource, and we think it’s a good idea.” 

The eight-man panel was formed in 2013 “to continue to professionalize how the league identifies and develops talent," according to the NFL. 

Of the seven coaches hired headed into the 2014 season, six were recommended by the panel.

An eight man panel? I'm curious what Woody is paying them?

It's a panel assembled by the league that works for the league, they don't work for Woody.  Woody just chose to employ two of the panel members to assist in his search.

One name on the potential coach list popped out... Bob Sutton.

I haven't heard his name mentioned in any discussions for a head coaching position. It seems to me he would be at least worth an interview, or am I missing something? I know he is a defensive guy and while I would prefer an offensive guy, I don't think we should limit ourselves since there are good candidates on both sides of the ball.

With all I've been reading about looking for a new head coach, which seems to be the ass backward way of doing things, could Casserlyalready be the GM?

you think he is pulling a Dick Cheney? (for the young kids = Cheney head of Bush W VP search committee, month later recommends himself, LOL)

One name on the potential coach list popped out... Bob Sutton.

I haven't heard his name mentioned in any discussions for a head coaching position. It seems to me he would be at least worth an interview, or am I missing something? I know he is a defensive guy and while I would prefer an offensive guy, I don't think we should limit ourselves since there are good candidates on both sides of the ball.

Save it.

If the Jets hire Doug Marrone, I am almost certain Casserly will come with the package. According to all the NY media, Casserly is trumpeting Marrone very loudly to Woody and I think that could happen very soon. Not really liking Marrone, I don't see much difference between him and Rex to be honest. Marrone might be more of a disciplinarian than Rex - who had no discipline or accountability - and his W/L record is not stellar. He certainly did little to develop EJ Manuel at QB. He took him in the first round last year.

Archived