Need a QB who is SMART when making reads, PLEASE!!!!

SouthernJet

We need a QB who can read progressions and win with his mind.

Todd McShay has a great tidbit on why pocket QB smarts is so important in NFL...

""Can you win from inside the pocket? We've gone through how many years of people getting all excited about these mobile quarterbacks that can run around and do all this stuff? If you can't win from inside the pocket with your anticipation, with your pre-snap reads, your post-snap reads, throwing to spots and having excellent ball placement, we haven't seen anyone overcome that, when you look at all the top quarterbacks in the league, year in and year out.

"Yeah, you may have one year. Colin Kaepernick had one year where he was really good, but then defenses have an offseason to look at his tendencies and to figure it out. "

FYI: He likes Winston as best QB in class based on on field only he reiterates, LOL

link

Is Bryn Renner available?

Ya, Denver cut him. I always wanted him, still think he is at minimum  Matt Simms type, smart, would always be good Scout QB can learn system of upcoming fast to help prepare defense.. I hear he never fully recovered form shoulder injury though and lost some pop.

contrary to popular belief, Geno Smith is a fairly smart dude. He works hard and crushes film off the field. He got a 24 on the wonderlic.

But on the field he can't seem to make those decisions in real time. It's not really intelligence that he's missing. It's cognition.

Being able to recognise details like who is blitzing and how many blockers he has, finding the hot route, all in 2.5 seconds. That's Geno's problem

contrary to popular belief, Geno Smith is a fairly smart dude. He works hard and crushes film off the field. He got a 24 on the wonderlic.

But on the field he can't seem to make those decisions in real time. It's not really intelligence that he's missing. It's cognition.

Being able to recognise details like who is blitzing and how many blockers he has, finding the hot route, all in 2.5 seconds. That's Geno's problem

I have zero issue with work ethic, but like you say, I watching football 54 years now, and he DOES NOT GET IT on the field. cant read progressions or defense disguises at all!!!!

changed thread title to alleviate confusion :)

Our QB should be Russell Wilson.

Bradway and Tanny were in War Room shouting match (I hear it was LOUD) on Draft Day over it. Bradway was so pro-Wilson he told Tanny the kid is a AllPro and jets will regret not taking him. He wanted him in 2nd round and then kept yelling to trade up in 3rd. Seattle grabbed him 2 spots ahead of u sin 3rd. We will never know if Tanny would have taken him...

75. Seattle Seahawks - Russell Wilson - Quarterback - Wisconsin
76. Houston Texans - Brandon Brooks - Guard - Miami (Ohio)
77. New York Jets - Demario Davis - Linebacker - Arkansas State

Bout only thing Pro Bradway I can say LOL

I have zero issue with work ethic, but like you say, I watching football 54 years now, and he DOES NOT GET IT on the field. cant read progressions or defense disguises at all!!!!

changed thread title to alleviate confusion :)

I don't think Geno is the answer either but for different reasons.  For a young player I think he reads defenses pretty well sans the delayed blitz which he seems to have a real problem recognizing.  To be fair there are veterans that struggle recognizing the delayed blitzs.  If you go back and review the tape of the last 2 years, it's very rare you will moments where he made the incorrect read.  How often has the defense tricked him into an INT?  I can only think of a couple early in his rookie year.  The vast majority of his INTs since have been poor and/or late throws.  You can blame some of that on his very inconsistent fundamentals.  While his arm is good, it's simply not good enough to overcome his poor footwork.  He also lacks anticipation.  Geno throws at WRs rather than spots on the field.  He has other issues with pocket awareness and the understanding of situational football, but those are unrelated to the actual act of throwing the football.

I don't think Geno is the answer either but for different reasons.  For a young player I think he reads defenses pretty well sans the delayed blitz which he seems to have a real problem recognizing.  To be fair there are veterans that struggle recognizing the delayed blitzs.  If you go back and review the tape of the last 2 years, it's very rare you will moments where he made the incorrect read.  How often has the defense tricked him into an INT?  I can only think of a couple early in his rookie year.  The vast majority of his INTs since have been poor and/or late throws.  You can blame some of that on his very inconsistent fundamentals.  While his arm is good, it's simply not good enough to overcome his poor footwork.  He also lacks anticipation.  Geno throws at WRs rather than spots on the field.  He has other issues with pocket awareness and the understanding of situational football, but those are unrelated to the actual act of throwing the football.

Thats progression greatness,,ability to know where second, third WR are and throw to spot with minimal peripheral peek, knowing its 1 on 1 coverage.

Amaro should have had a banner year if Geno was able to check down quicker to safety valves as opposed to panic and turn around and start scrambling.

Thats progression greatness,,ability to know where second, third WR are and throw to spot with minimal periferal peek, knowing its 1 on 1 coverage

I think he knows where they are and where they will be.  He just seems to hold the ball until he sees his man break open rather than anticipating and using proper ball placement.

I think he knows where they are and where they will be.  He just seems to hold the ball until he sees his man break open rather than anticipating and using proper ball placement.

call whatever u want, but progression greatness is balls to know when and where to throw. Knowing is crap if you dont make the throw to right place. I have sen other QBs go thru 3 or 4 progressions and end up making great play.. Geno also rarely steps UP in pocket, its usually step back or twirl around, a sure sign he isnt great QB material. All the great ones have a knack of taking that 1 to 1 1/2 step up or sideways up, as opposed to 'hightail out of Dodge' move Geno has perfected.

Well put. Thats one of the issue I have with our OC. Lions were blitzing like crazy in the first half and Romo had no answer for it. They really did a great job on him. Then towards the end of the first half and most of the 2nd half, Cowboys started going empty back spread offense. Thats where it gets much easier to see who will blitz. Jets rarely do that. The OC needs to be able to help out his QB with his play calling. Geno really showed some flashes in the last few games (just like 2013). I do think Geno will be a better QB in 2015. Much better than most of us make him out to be. I'd still like the Jets to draft Jameis if available. U can always trade one if they both realize their potential.

Bradway and Tanny were in War Room shouting match (I hear it was LOUD) on Draft Day over it. Bradway was so pro-Wilson he told Tanny the kid is a AllPro and jets will regret not taking him. He wanted him in 2nd round and then kept yelling to trade up in 3rd. Seattle grabbed him 2 spots ahead of u sin 3rd. We will never know if Tanny would have taken him...

Yeah I bet Bradway was breathing down Tanny's nose to trade up to draft Gholston as well.

Yeah I bet Bradway was breathing down Tanny's nose to trade up to draft Gholston as well.

I doubt it (The Ghoul was all Tanny I heard, fell in love with him at Underwear Olympics, aka Combine), but you have to admit he was right about Wilson and tanny was wrong.

This is also Mark Sanchez' problem.

I got another pro-Bradway thing. Bradway also wanted Alshon Jeffrey over Stephen Hill.

I got another pro-Bradway thing. Bradway also wanted Alshon Jeffrey over Stephen Hill.

I thought hill had a shot based on physical attributes and fact he was never used at GT, aka hidden gem , I was wrong , but we definitly drafted him way too high

bradway traded up for D-Rob and traded a first rd pick for Mike Nugent and a worthless tight end. If Idzik is the worst talent evaluator in football Terry Bradway is number 2

I do think Geno will be a better QB in 2015. Much better than most of us make him out to be. I'd still like the Jets to draft Jameis if available. U can always trade one if they both realize their potential.

Geno did get slightly better towards the end. Winston at 6 is a pipedream. 

Here's to hoping I guess. 

Geno did get slightly better towards the end. Winston at 6 is a pipedream. 

Here's to hoping I guess. 

Geno is better than any of the free agent qbs out there.  Tampa is taking Winston and apparently now that people are actually watching Mariota play the hype has died down a little.

If we do draft Mariota at 6 we had better implement the Chip Kelly offense.  Mariota trying to be a drop-back qb in the Meadowlands wind tunnel is a disaster recipe.

Archived