Dilfer: Mariota not Pro Ready

bergenjets

I heard this on the radio today down in Philly. 

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/marcus_mariotas_stock_could_drop_might_not_be_a_pro_ready_quarterback_says_nfl_analyst.html

On a tangent, they're worse than Jet fans down there. They're ready to trade 3 first rounders to move up for Mariota so that Chippy can have his man.

Will they, or won't they?

That has become the most asked question of the young Eagles' offseason.

Will head coach and don of all things footballChip Kelly use his newly gained power over football personnel decisions to mortgage the future and move up to draft Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota later this spring?

Some have called for the Eagles to trade several first round picks to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to pry away the top selection. Others have even suggested trading this year's entire slate of picks if that is the price to acquire Mariota to run Kelly's offense -- despite glaring weaknesses all over the league's 28th ranked defense.

One NFL analyst says that he isn't quite ready to buy into the Mariota hype just yet.

"What I do think [Chip] may have a shot at Marcus [Mariota]," ESPN NFL Analyst and Super Bowl winning quarterback Trent Dilfer said during an interview with 97.5 The Fanatic Thursday. "I don't know what kind of ammo they have in the draft. I know how much he likes Marcus Mariota. He coached him in Oregon. Obviously as a human being and a person, a leader. Rightfully so. The kid's a great kid.

"I think as this process goes on, you're going to see Marcus Mariota's stock drop a little bit because he's not pro ready. He's a phenomenal talent. He's a great kid. But he's not ready to play in a traditional system. He may be able to get integrated into Chip's system a little quicker than others, obviously having a little familiarity with it. But, Chip's system's also evolved a little bit since it's got to the NFL."

Dilfer questioned whether or not the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback has the makeup of a player who can step into the NFL and play immediately.

"I'm not completely from the school of thought that Marcus is going to go in those top two, three, four or five picks," Dilfer said. "I think there's a chance he may slide a little bit as this goes. If he gets into that eight, nine, ten or even early teens there may be an opportunity for Philly to go get him if they want him that bad ... Should they? That depends on what they'd have to give up. I would trust Chip on that.

"I personally don't think Marcus is a pro ready quarterback. I don't think he's a guy who's ready to play right away. I think he's a guy who has to sit for a year or two and learn an NFL system. But, if Chip has a plan to integrate him into that offensesooner and it allows that playbook to get to chapters five and six, then I think it's worth making a play on it."

Mariota's numbers speak for themselves. The player Chip Kelly once called 'the best college player I've coached' finished his junior season in 2014 passing for 4,121 yards 40 touchdowns and three interceptions while posting a remarkable 68.5 percent completion percentage. He also has the Ducks to the precipice of claiming the school's first National Championship with a victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes Monday.

However, if Dilfer's assertions turnout to be not only the consensus, but the reality when it comes to Mariota, than the Eagles might just be better off with Nick Foles returning as the quarterback in 2015 given that he has already shown the ability to thrive in Kelly's system.

"I think what's happened over the last few years in the NFL, and I'm a culprit of this as well," Dilfer said. "Is we've gotten a little bit enamored with some of the quarterback running. The designed runs and how it challenges a defense. That stuff's good. It definitely thins a defense out."

"But, at the end of the day you have to, I promise you here, whoever wins the Super Bowl this year you'll see the quarterback do this; on a late third-and-seven, late in the game, in a one-score game, they're going to have to get to a second or third receiver within a progression, manipulate the pocket, not escape the pocket, and throw a guy open. That's just the position. That's the job. Not many of these college guys are about to do that. Nick can do that.

"That's one of the things I saw out of Nick when he was in college and his brief time playing for the Eagles. He was able to do some of the graduate level stuff that some of these other quarterbacks are unable to do. I think it's really easy to want something more and not appreciate what you already have. I guess what I'd say to the Philly fan base is to appreciate what you have a little bit more."

Ehh been saying the same thing the last two seasons, but he's still one hell of a prospect, just needs to sit.  I'd actually prefer for a Geno or someone else to start while he sits, finish below .500 again and try to restock this teams talent pool for when he'd be ready. That having been said, I just am not sure it happens.  Lovie seems to want Winston, so I suppose it's possible he slides to us, doubtful, but possible. 

Ehh been saying the same thing the last two seasons, but he's still one hell of a prospect, just needs to sit. I'd actually prefer for a Geno or someone else to start while he sits, finish below .500 again and try to restock this teams talent pool for when he'd be ready. That having been said, I just am not sure it happens. Lovie seems to want Winston, so I suppose it's possible he slides to us, doubtful, but possible.

No sane person would be in favor of a Geno starting under ANY circumstance.

I have a feeling mariotta will be there at 6. Tampa will go winston. Tenn will pass on mariotta. The next 4 teams dont need a qb and i dont see anyone trading up for him.

Now maybe the eagles call us at 6. We ask for their 1st this year and next and nick foles. We then give foles 1 year as the starting qb and see how he looks. We start drafting players to get better on both sides and forget the qb position this year.

If foles doesnt work out, we have 2 1st round picks next year and we can wheel and deal to get the qb we want in the draft.

I have a feeling mariotta will be there at 6. Tampa will go winston. Tenn will pass on mariotta. The next 4 teams dont need a qb and i dont see anyone trading up for him.

Now maybe the eagles call us at 6. We ask for their 1st this year and next and nick foles. We then give foles 1 year as the starting qb and see how he looks. We start drafting players to get better on both sides and forget the qb position this year.

If foles doesnt work out, we have 2 1st round picks next year and we can wheel and deal to get the qb we want in the draft.

Sign me up. 

If we go Mariota at 6 we better get someone from the Oregon coaching staff to come in and be our OC to implement Kelly's playbook.  Scott Frost comes to mind he already has ties to the organization.

Harvin would fit in really well in that offense.

No sane person would be in favor of a Geno starting under ANY circumstance.

And yet here we are. Our team is deplete of talent, if we somehow land Mariota I would want him to sit a year or more and as such, we probably aren't making the playoffs. In that case, I wouldn't really care who we started.

Archived