Cromartie Signing Would Complete Overhaul

JetNation

Antonio Cromartie

By Glenn Naughton

On a day in which Mike Maccagnan and the New York Jets brought back six time pro-bowler Darrelle Revis just hours after scooping up former Cleveland Browns cornerback Buster Skrine, one may have expected the team to look away from the cornerback position to address other areas of need.  As it turns out, that assumption would be wrong.

Brian Costello of the New York Post is reporting that even with yesterday’s additions, the Jets are still engaged in talks with former Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

Should the Jets come to terms with Cromartie, it would undoubtedly represent one of the most dramatic roster overhauls in team history as they would be locking up two of the league’s best cover men. After a season in which the Jets cornerback play was among the worst in the NFL, morphing into one of the league’s best just one year later is not at all out of the question.

A chance to field a group consisting of Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle and Marcus Williams and/or Darrin Walls would dwarf last year’s cornres, made up of Walls, Williams, Antonio Allen, Kyle Wilson, Phillip Adams and Josh Thomas, as well as an injured Milliner who appeared in just 3 games.

Cromartie has expressed a desire to return to the Jets both publicly and privately as he and his family kept their New Jersey home even after moving to Arizona last season.

The cornerback has stated that the Jets are among the three teams he’s considring, with the Cowboys and Cardinals also in the running

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mX9--9Lajeg

View the full article

I was looking at some PFF grades for the CBs signed for 2014, and it's pretty alarming how far ahead Revis was away from the rest of the group.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-cornerbacks/

Revis almost doubled the value of Jackson as the second best free agent CB.   And we basically doubled his contract almost to the spot, 34 million to 70 million, and guaranteed 40 from 20 million.  

But what stuck out was, how dumb is Chip Kelly with player acquisition?  He paid almost Revis money for a guy that they graded out as below average. 

Skrine well below average though, so a bit worried about that one now.  He seems to have great days and bad days, but maybe exclusively playing the slot could possibly help him out a lot.  

I just don't think we need Cro at this point, it's overkill. I still like the potential of Milliner and McDougle, who will only benefit from having Revis around.

The only potential that Milliner and McDougle have is for ice pad purchases.

If we are still talking to Cro I wonder if we are looking to flip him to FS.  Bowles

could tell him "Look I'm concerned with your hip affecting your speed.  I want

to move you full time to FS to extend your career"

I was looking at some PFF grades for the CBs signed for 2014, and it's pretty alarming how far ahead Revis was away from the rest of the group.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-cornerbacks/

Revis almost doubled the value of Jackson as the second best free agent CB.   And we basically doubled his contract almost to the spot, 34 million to 70 million, and guaranteed 40 from 20 million.  

But what stuck out was, how dumb is Chip Kelly with player acquisition?  He paid almost Revis money for a guy that they graded out as below average. 

Skrine well below average though, so a bit worried about that one now.  He seems to have great days and bad days, but maybe exclusively playing the slot could possibly help him out a lot.  

I think you are seeing that those grades are king of meaningless.  The coaches know what players can do what they want and what players can't.  Some of these guys made grade out poorly covering #1s, while others are in zone and graded fine despite more safety help over the top and LBs under.

If we are still talking to Cro I wonder if we are looking to flip him to FS.  Bowles

could tell him "Look I'm concerned with your hip affecting your speed.  I want

to move you full time to FS to extend your career"

This gets talked about a bunch, but there were a bunch of statistics about how bad Cro supposedly was in zone and off the ball.  Seems like a poor fit for safety.  Add in that he is borderline allergic to contact and he seems like a bad choice for safety. I might believe in him more as a gadget guy KR/CB/WR.

I think you are seeing that those grades are king of meaningless.  The coaches know what players can do what they want and what players can't.  Some of these guys made grade out poorly covering #1s, while others are in zone and graded fine despite more safety help over the top and LBs under.

Those grades are somewhat meaningless but I do think it's a tool though.  It seems to go up and down a lot based on certain years and coverage, like some are much better in zone and man schemes, so there is that adjustment.   I think the example I read in the comments there was that Verner last year was very highly rated, but fell off the next year when he went into a different scheme.  And the opposite for Flowers.   

But the thing with Maxwell is that, I don't see how he would improve though.  He certainly wasn't covering straight No. 1 WRs, which he'll be asked to do on a consistent basis now (and facing good ones one Dez, OBJ, Jackson 6 times a year) and he has nowhere near the same talent that he had around him in Seattle.   With Revis, atleast we know he isn't a product of a system, you can pretty much put him against the No. 1 and forget about that guy, but with Maxwell he seems much more like a candidate that's going to struggle without having a stout defense around him.   

From watching the Seahawks every now and then (so opinion based on limited exposure) I think the key to their defense is actually their LBs, and safeties.  They invested highly in those as well in terms of draft picks, and picked up CBs in the mid rounds.  With a stud FS to make sure no one can consistently take off the top, and very good LBs to make sure the underneath routes are well covered, the CBs have extreme leeway in playing their guys aggressively.  He's not going to have that luxury in Philly at all, since they have a terrible surrounding cast.  

As for Skrine, atleast I can see reasons for improvement in that he'll most likely be playing the slot guy here, so he doesn't have to face some super studs on a consistent basis, and has already played (albeit not do great) in a man system.  

Archived