Coach Bowles Defense

Morrissey

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets 

#Jets base defense is going to have 3 corners on the field. Three corners above 70% of snaps in Arizona last year

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets

In conjunction with earlier tweet about CB playing time in Bowles D, remember only two linebackers played more than 50% of snaps #Jets

Found these tweets interesting, tells you why we signed 3 corners.

I copied and pasted the tweets in addition to embedding. You guys who can't see embedded tweets must miss out on a lot of tweets in the free agency mega thread.

My bad...what I meant to say was that I hadn't seen the tweets prior to reading this thread.

#Jets base defense is going to have 3 corners on the field. Three corners above 70% of snaps in Arizona last year

In conjunction with earlier tweet about CB playing time in Bowles D, remember only two linebackers played more than 50% of snaps #Jets

Found these tweets interesting, tells you why we signed 3 corners.

What this means to me is the Jets still need a true FS and Allen and Pryor are better off playing in Canada than the Jets....minus maybe Allen playing a hybrid LB in some sort of Dime package situation.

Didn't see the tweets but I did read up on his style with the extra DB. This definitely helps and Miliner will be a big part of the defensive rotation.

Can't count on him to be ready for the season, nonetheless be a part of the rotation. He'll have work to do, as well as McDougle, to earn playing time over some other guys.

So he basically runs a 4-3 defense except one of the linebacker spots is occupied by a box safety (Allen, or Pryor).

In the secondary, I'm guessing it's mainly press-man coverage (Revis, Cromartie, Milliner, McDougle), with a roaming nickle back (Williams, Skrine, Gilcrest), and a single high safety (Gilcrest, Allen, Cromartie). 

Technically it is considered "Nickle" defense because 5 DBs will be on the field, but with one of them playing more of a hybrid LB/SS role, it will be more akin to the personnel in a 4-3 formation if you think about it, because lets face it, there isn't a scenario where the mad-blitz-er isn't sending at LEAST four down-lineman.  

It's a great concept: 4 DL moving forward to get after the quarterback (primary responsibility), and contain the run (secondary); 2 LBs manning the middle to stop the run (primary), rush the passer/pass-D support on crossing routes (secondary); 5 DBs to contain the pass, support run defense, rush the passer. 

Then of course you move them all around because apparently that makes a difference.

You guys are reading way too much into these statistics. Too much stock is being put into it. The Cards were severly handicapped on defense, due to injuries, suspensions, lack of depth etc. just personnel overall. To think that Bowles is gonna do the same thing here again is just foolish. Like when people bring up the fact that he was blitzing a lot last season. Which of course is because his front couldn't generate any pass rush so he had to blitz to get to the QB. He's not gonna blitz that much if you give him an elite front that gets to the QB. Now he'll let the guys drop back and cover. So forget these numbers, they mean nothing...

Archived