Back with Jets, Antonio Cromartie says nagging hip injury is 'behind me'

Jetfan13

17294353-mmmain.jpg
New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie says his hip problem is in the

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com The Star-Ledger  

Antonio Cromartie's most recent season with the Jets, 2013, was one of the worst in the cornerback's nine-year NFL career.

Bothered for most of the season by a hip injury, Cromartie struggled mightily. Pro Football Focus rated him 102nd out of 110 cornerbacks, and 109th in coverage ratings. He appeared to be a declining player.

The Jets cut him after that season, his fourth with the organization, saving $9.5 million against the salary cap, while also clearly acknowledging that they no longer considered Cromartie an elite corner.

Now, after one healthy and productive season in Arizona, Cromartie is back with the Jets for his 10th year, having officially signed his four-year contract Wednesday. A little while later, during a conference call with reporters, Cromartie said his hip no longer concerns him, and that he's fully healthy.

"It's behind me," Cromartie said of his hip injury. "It was just something that I did during training camp [in 2013], just strained my hip flexor real bad and it just bothered me the whole entire year. I just feel I had the offseason [before the 2014 season] to go in and rehab, and get my hips back strong. Even near the end of the 2013 year, I was starting to play better, because my body was starting to feel better. It was just having the time to have rehab go on, and go from there."

Last season, Cromartie was rated 45th overall among corners by PFF, as well as 45th in coverage ratings. But he did not play well in his final three games, including the Cardinals' wild card round playoff loss at Carolina. On a whole, though, it was a better year than 2013. Cromartie, who had a one-year deal, showed he could still play in the NFL.

"I think the biggest thing was to prove to everybody that when I'm healthy, I can play at a very high level," he said. "Twenty-thirteen was not a healthy year for me. My biggest thing was just coming into the 2014 season and showing that I still can play at a very, very, very high level. I don't think my age plays into anything that goes on. [Cromartie turns 31 next month.] Either you can play the position or you can't. I just felt like 2013 was an injury-plagued year for me. Twenty-fourteen was a healthier year for me. So that helped me out a lot, and I was just able to go out and play how I wanted to."

welcome back cro-you should have never been allowed to leave us

Not sure who treated you worse-the tons of Jets fans on the JI board that were thrilled to see you leave for a scrub like Patterson or the dick Gm that did not reward your loyalty for playing hurt and wanting to return to a scrub team

That Arizona/Carolina game showed Cromartie's major deficiency. Head on tackling with the ball carrier. There were a few plays where Cro just decided to not stick his head in on the tackle on the RB and gave up large chunks of yards and then one of the safeties yelling at him about it. Very similar from when he was on the Chargers and chose not to get physical with Shonn Greene. On the other hand, I love his size and speed having the ability to cover larger receivers and trust him to do so more than I do Skrine.

I like the guy but he's always sucked at tackling IMO. His best work is on the sidelines where he pushes the WR out of bounds. I think there was even a blurb in the "Shallow Crossers" book with the coaches saying he was far away the best athlete on the team that season but shied away from the one on one tackles in space. In any case he's light years better than the crap we had on the field last season. Not sure what scrubs from last year are going to still have a job in training camp but we now have the A team back and school is open. I hope both Revis and Cro along with Bowles can at least tutor these guys and make them better players.

Can't wait! Go Jets..

welcome back cro-you should have never been allowed to leave us

Not sure who treated you worse-the tons of Jets fans on the JI board that were thrilled to see you leave for a scrub like Patterson or the dick Gm that did not reward your loyalty for playing hurt and wanting to return to a scrub team

Ya know that's really one of the key factors for me. Guys who will play through injury when you need them.  They have to be able to play in the first place of course, but so many guys just won't do that any more. Little nicks and scrapes and they're at the trainer. Cro played the whole season on a bum hip and was then cut.

That's something we just don't see as much anymore and is a real plus from my perspective.

I like that Cro is back and with Revis and Skrine I really see great potential for this D. It will only help our already stout D line to have actual coverage going on out there.

Ya know that's really one of the key factors for me. Guys who will play through injury when you need them.  They have to be able to play in the first place of course, but so many guys just won't do that any more. Little nicks and scrapes and they're at the trainer. Cro played the whole season on a bum hip and was then cut.

That's something we just don't see as much anymore and is a real plus from my perspective.

I like that Cro is back and with Revis and Skrine I really see great potential for this D. It will only help our already stout D line to have actual coverage going on out there.

Good point. Also Cro is the kind of guy to grab the young guys in the offseason and have "Cro-camp" or what ever it's called. Plays hurt and wants to be here. Same reason why Harris got paid, shows up everyday and goes to work! Win or lose these are the type of guys I want to keep around

He was cut because he was going to make a sh*tload of money and he didn't deserve it.  Cutting him was 100% the right move.  The stupidity was in not signing him back for $3.5M and instead going after Dimitri Patterson for $3M

agreed. The originsl contract needed to be voided or reworked. Resigning him was the right move we didn't make.

He was cut because he was going to make a sh*tload of money and he didn't deserve it.  Cutting him was 100% the right move.  The stupidity was in not signing him back for $3.5M and instead going after Dimitri Patterson for $3M

Thank you. 

That Arizona/Carolina game showed Cromartie's major deficiency. Head on tackling with the ball carrier. There were a few plays where Cro just decided to not stick his head in on the tackle on the RB and gave up large chunks of yards and then one of the safeties yelling at him about it. Very similar from when he was on the Chargers and chose not to get physical with Shonn Greene. On the other hand, I love his size and speed having the ability to cover larger receivers and trust him to do so more than I do Skrine.

Cro has never gotten physical anywhere.  That should come as no surprise to anyone.

Archived