NY Jets Rumors: Mike Glennon Trade Option

flgreen

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay we are now on 9 pages of the "ny jets, mike glennon trade rumor".  Question, where was this rumor reported; is there anything to this or just wishful thinking?  

I think some reporters scour this board for stories and see some fans clamoring for trade for Glennon and run with it. Whatever gets the clicks, right?

Here's Geno Smith lousy numbers;

Year Team ................G  Att Comp Pct   Att/G Yds    Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

2014 New York Jets 14  367  219  59.7  26.2  2,525  6.9  180.4  13  3.5   13  3.5    74T 33     7    28  175    77.5

2013 New York Jets 16  443  247  55.8  27.7  3,046  6.9  190.4  12  2.7   21  4.7    69T 43     6    43  315    66.5

.....................TOTAL  30  810 466  57.5  27.0   5,571  6.9 185.7   25 3.1   34  4.2     74  76    13    71  490   71.5

and here's Mike Glennon's better numbers;

Year Team ...............................G Att Comp Pct  Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

2014 Tampa Bay Buccaneers  6  203  117  57.6  33.8  1,417  7.0  236.2  10  4.9  6  3.0  41   23  3  16         91    83.3  

2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13 416  247  59.4  32.0  2,608  6.3  200.6  19  4.6  9  2.2  85T 28  7  40        314   83.9

TOTAL                                     19 619  364  58.8  32.6   4,025 6.5  211.8   29  4.7 15 2.4  85   51 10 56       405   83.7

In 11 less starts, Glennon has 4 more TD's than Geno, not to mention his 2:1 TD to INT ratio is impressive for a young QB with less than 2 full years of starts under his belt.  Geno's TD to INT ratio is abominable and completely unacceptable, even if he was throwing to sub par WR's.  No one knows what the future holds, but I don't see how anyone can argue with the fact that Glennon has been a better QB so far. Furthermore, Geno was the 29th ranked QB in 2014.  Just about ANYONE else is an upgrade. 

No something more important to a team success. You trade up for a qb, the guy better pan out as the team will give him 3 years before moving on, so yes 3-4 years.

Wait, so the Jets picked up Geno I. The 2nd round 2 yrs ago. Was that mortgaging our future? Since it was a QB.

I am just surprised at some of the inputs here.

Ok a case can be made for acquiring Glennon and  having better numbers than Geno. Since the arguments are marginally convincing it won't be a bad thing to tryout Glennon.

But i think i read is some posts that the JETS should trade him for a 4th and a mention of even the 2nd round. On what basis are these suggestions being made. So what we have here is a 3rd round pick from two years ago who on a struggling team has at best accomplished a backup ranking. There might be some decent reason's put forth to why he was relegated to the backup role but still it is what it is. At this point he is a backup. Who in their right minds would give up 2nd or even a 4th for a backup ? That's just too high.

So while it may not be bad thing to see what he has got in a JETS uni if the compensation is 4th round or higher it would not be a smart move on the JETS part.

Too bad the JETS do not have their 5th or their 6th. One for a guy who is no longer with us and another for a guy we could have been acquired in the open market. That's why i value draft picks.

Ok a case can be made for acquiring Glennon and  having better numbers than Geno. Since the arguments are marginally convincing it won't be a bad thing to tryout Glennon.

But i think i read is some posts that the JETS should trade him for a 4th and a mention of even the 2nd round. On what basis are these suggestions being made. So what we have here is a 3rd round pick from two years ago who on a struggling team has at best accomplished a backup ranking. There might be some decent reason's put forth to why he was relegated to the backup role but still it is what it is. At this point he is a backup. Who in their right minds would give up 2nd or even a 4th for a backup ? That's just too high.

So while it may not be bad thing to see what he has got in a JETS uni if the compensation is 4th round or higher it would not be a smart move on the JETS part.

Too bad the JETS do not have their 5th or their 6th. One for a guy who is no longer with us and another for a guy we could have been acquired in the open market. That's why i value draft picks.

Jets need a good QB.  They don't have one.  Glennon is better than the QB's being projected as 2nd round picks this season.  Enough with the over the hill vets or inexperienced projects from video game college offenses.  Get a young guy with a 2/1 TD/INT ratio in the NFL.

How many POS QB's does this team have to go through before giving up a pick that will be used on a guy that is 100% question mark who could be worse than Geno Smith?

Look at it this way.

Bowles has said the Jets will add another QB for competition in camp,  Looking at what's left in FA, I'm sure hoping he won't come from that group.  The Jets are working out second tier QB's from a very weak class.  They are projected to go from the 2nd to 4th round.  Is it possible they are going to go all in for Mariota?  Maybe, but I don't see it.

if the Jets are going to spend a  2nd-4th round pick on a QB, who would you rather have?  A rookie QB who most project to have a back up status as their ceiling, or a 3rd year player, who has played  19 games for a horrible team, and still put up good #s.

I know who my choice for that 2nd-4th round pick is.

Jets need a good QB.  They don't have one.  Glennon is better than the QB's being projected as 2nd round picks this season.  Enough with the over the hill vets or inexperienced projects from video game college offenses.  Get a young guy with a 2/1 TD/INT ratio in the NFL.

How many POS QB's does this team have to go through before giving up a pick that will be used on a guy that is 100% question mark who could be worse than Geno Smith?

Look at it this way.

Bowles has said the Jets will add another QB for competition in camp,  Looking at what's left in FA, I'm sure hoping he won't come from that group.  The Jets are working out second tier QB's from a very weak class.  They are projected to go from the 2nd to 4th round.  Is it possible they are going to go all in for Mariota?  Maybe, but I don't see it.

if the Jets are going to spend a  2nd-4th round pick on a QB, who would you rather have?  A rookie QB who most project to have a back up status as their ceiling, or a 3rd year player, who has played  19 games for a horrible team, and still put up good #s.

If it's that weak a class it's better to stay with who you got and wait for next season. That's why i liked the Fitz trade.

Glennon most likely is not the answer and using a 2nd round pick to find out is a too much compensation for a guy who is looked upon as a backup on his own team. The 2 to 1 ratios sounds sexy. But his win - loss record makes me want to question how many of those stats were in garbage time.

Again based on whatever little i have seen i like the kid to see what he has got but not enough to spend a 2nd round pick for him. If the JETS do not trade for him i do not see any other team in the NFL giving up a 2nd round pick for him.

If it's that weak a class it's better to stay with who you got and wait for next season. That's why i liked the Fitz trade.

Glennon most likely is not the answer and using a 2nd round pick to find out is a too much compensation for a guy who is looked upon as a backup on his own team. The 2 to 1 ratios sounds sexy. But his win - loss record makes me want to question how many of those stats were in garbage time.

Again based on whatever little i have seen i like the kid to see what he has got but not enough to spend a 2nd round pick for him. If the JETS do not trade for him i do not see any other team in the NFL giving up a 2nd round pick for him.

Actually I don't want to give up a 2nd for him either.  What I would originally offer would be a 4th.  Then kick in Smith, along with the 4th, actually I think that would get the deal done.  If it didn't, I'd do what AFJF suggested, offer a conditional pick in next year's draft , based on the # of games that Glennon starts, if any.  If the pick works out to be a 2nd, and we get our 4th back, that is a very cheap price for a competent starting QB.

Sitting and waiting for the next Joe Willy to walk in off the street next year hasn't worked.  I'd be aggressive.  Look at a lot of QB's.  If they bust, oh well on to the next one 

I get where you're coming from, but I'm tired of waiting and I believe he will be a very good quarterback...the Jets have had exactly two seasons of very good quarterback play in the nearly 30 years I've been a fan....I'm fine with giving up a 2nd rounder to get that third season of very good QB play before my fandom hits 3 decades.

To each his own, but I see wins/losses as a team stat.  TD's/INT's/comp pct are QB stats.  A bad QB makes bad throws and/or bad decisions that lead to tons of INT's.  His low INT total tells me he's making good throws or good decisions...I'll take it.

Actually I don't want to give up a 2nd for him either.  What I would originally offer would be a 4th.  Then kick in Smith, along with the 4th, actually I think that would get the deal done.  If it didn't, I'd do what AFJF suggested, offer a conditional pick in next year's draft , based on the # of games that Glennon starts, if any.  If the pick works out to be a 2nd, and we get our 4th back, that is a very cheap price for a competent starting QB.

Sitting and waiting for the next Joe Willy to walk in off the street next year hasn't worked.  I'd be aggressive.  Look at a lot of QB's.  If they bust, oh well on to the next one 

I get where you're coming from, but I'm tired of waiting and I believe he will be a very good quarterback...the Jets have had exactly two seasons of very good quarterback play in the nearly 30 years I've been a fan....I'm fine with giving up a 2nd rounder to get that third season of very good QB play before my fandom hits 3 decades.

To each his own, but I see wins/losses as a team stat.  TD's/INT's/comp pct are QB stats.  A bad QB makes bad throws and/or bad decisions that lead to tons of INT's.  His low INT total tells me he's making good throws or good decisions...I'll take it.

I do not know  how he has performed in the meaningful time period of games. Someone needs to shed a light on that. It would be key aspect before getting him to focus on that.

Other things being he had a lot better weapons ( i can see the local intelligentsia smirking) in Tampa and he played in one of the quietest, non pressure markets in the NFL. So suddenly it's not a as slam dunk as you think. And while i won't mind seeing him in a JETS uni a 4th round pick would not be a price that based on what I know is justified.

But i cannot rule out some QB hungry team overpaying and shelling out a 4th for him,

I do not know  how he has performed in the meaningful time period of games. Someone needs to shed a light on that. It would be key aspect before getting him to focus on that.

Other things being he had a lot better weapons ( i can see the local intelligentsia smirking) in Tampa and he played in one of the quietest, non pressure markets in the NFL. So suddenly it's not a as slam dunk as you think. And while i won't mind seeing him in a JETS uni a 4th round pick would not be a price that based on what I know is justified.

But i cannot rule out some QB hungry team overpaying and shelling out a 4th for him,

Just my opinion but if he was drafted in rd 3 and  has put up very good numbers since being drafted I would see him as having gained value rather than losing value.

Either way...just get a damn QB in here Mac.

In 11 less starts, Glennon has 4 more TD's than Geno, not to mention his 2:1 TD to INT ratio is impressive for a young QB with less than 2 full years of starts under his belt.  Geno's TD to INT ratio is abominable and completely unacceptable, even if he was throwing to sub par WR's.  No one knows what the future holds, but I don't see how anyone can argue with the fact that Glennon has been a better QB so far. Furthermore, Geno was the 29th ranked QB in 2014.  Just about ANYONE else is an upgrade.

Keep in mind that the Buccs are in the worst division in the league playing against bottom ranked defenses other than Carolina and he's throwing to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. In all fairness, the buccs O-Line is pretty bad.

Question:  Who would you rather have in the 4th that will have a higher potential impact on the team it he turns out to be a player?

The Jets had several 4th rounders last year.  Zilch 

Keep in mind that the Buccs are in the worst division in the league playing against bottom ranked defenses other than Carolina and he's throwing to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. In all fairness, the buccs O-Line is pretty bad.

The OL is pretty bad.  More then that the team in general is the worst in the league

I am a BIG NC State fan. Watched Glennon in his entirety.  I am somewhat surprised his stats are that good...but I dont believe he will have any impact on the NFL other than to be a starter on a team with a losing record.  he is no difference maker in my view.

Neither in the view of most teams apparently otherwise someone would have made a move for him already. 

Of course like every thing else in the few weeks leading up to the draft, it's a rumor.    But it's  being talked  about in the TB media on a daily basis.   Even some Nation media.  Not exclusively about a trade to the Jets, but the fact that Glennon in on the market.  Seems very  likely Glennon will be moved  Example 

Mike Glennon generating buzz as Bucs trade candidate
  •  
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png

share-button.png

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 9, 2015 at 05:04 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 9, 2015 at 09:24 p.m.

The days of NFL teams deciding between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper in free agency are long gone.

Combine on NFL Network
0ap3000000469008.jpgIn advance of the draft, Marcus Mariota and others will look to showcase their skills at the combine (Feb. 17-23), only on NFL Network. SCHEDULE

With yet another weak crop of quarterbacks set to hit the market next month, Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon is generating buzz as a trade target for the second time since general manager Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith took control of the organization last offseason.

Although Lovie Smith has publicly touted Glennon as thequarterback of the future, his actions suggest otherwise.

Even in the meaningless final month of a lost season, Glennon couldn't unseat underwhelming journeyman starterJosh McCown.

If the Bucs' personnel department has designs on Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota with the No. 1 overall draft pick, Licht will entertain offers for Glennon.

That prospect begs the followin

g questions: What is Glennon's value? And which teams will be interested?

With 29 touchdowns in 19 career games, Glennon is more than just a reclamation project. En route to earning Offensive Rookie of the Month honors in November of 2013, he became the first rookie in NFL history to throw at least one touchdown pass in his first eight games.

Gushed Greg Schiano at time, "I think this is a guy that certainly, as long as he continues on this trajectory, is a guy you'd love to have as a quarterback for a long time."

0ap3000000482715.jpg

The problem is that Glennon didn't continue on that trajectory. His 2014 game tape is unimpressive, showing an immobile, often indecisive passer with accuracy issues and an inability to move the offense for quarters at a time.

Boasting prototypical size and a strong arm, though, Glennon is sure to attract suitors willing to gamble on a bounce-back season with better coaching and consistent blocking.

The Pewter Report's Scott Reynolds believes Licht would settle for a third-round pick but no less than a fourth-rounder in return for Glennon. We see the latter as a more realistic price tag.

The ideal trade partner is one with an unproven quarterback yet to establish himself as the answer, such as the Browns (Johnny Manziel), Bills (EJ Manuel), Titans (Zach Mettenberger) and Jets (Geno Smith).

Glennon is one of the NFL's top 32 quarterbacks. He should be under center in another city when the 2015 season opens.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast breaks down the top 25 free agents and reacts to the latest news. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

That is great but I am talking specifically about the Jets and nowhere have I read or heard the Jets having any interest at all.  I know  Mac is good at keeping things close to the vest but you would think something would have leaked out if there was genuine interest....  Even it was predicated on what transpires on draft day i.e. Mariota slipping to 6 etc. 

That is great but I am talking specifically about the Jets and nowhere have I read or heard the Jets having any interest at all.  I know  Mac is good at keeping things close to the vest but you would think something would have leaked out if there was genuine interest....  Even it was predicated on what transpires on draft day i.e. Mariota slipping to 6 etc. 

Depends on what the teams agenda is in leaking something.   i don't recall hearing anything leading up to the Marshall trade.  

Depends on what the teams agenda is in leaking something.   i don't recall hearing anything leading up to the Marshall trade.  

Well it was posted on this board the day or so before the trade the Jets may have interest in Marshall.  Nothing at all about Glennon in any way, shape or fashion that I am aware of. 

Look at it this way.

This.

Question:  Who would you rather have in the 4th that will have a higher potential impact on the team it he turns out to be a player?

The Jets had several 4th rounders last year.  Zilch 

True, our last years 4th rounders ranged from atrocious to head scratching to promising. I still have wont be surprised if Dozier can be a meaningful contributer and hold out hope for Evans and his hands and his concentration issues being resolved. But there is no doubt that Jalen Sanders was the worst 4th round pick ever .

But each pick is an individual event and the outcome of one year's not so good picks cannot be tied to the outcome of this  year's 4th round pick. And good teams find starters in the 4th round. Even any trades upto the 4th round are predicated on acquiring surefire starters like the Chris Ivory trade.

Glennon for all his stats is not a surefire starter. He will compete to be one. He can compete to be one. But not a defacto starter as soon as he steps on this team. You cannot trade away 4th round picks for that.

Just my opinion but if he was drafted in rd 3 and  has put up very good numbers since being drafted I would see him as having gained value rather than losing value.

Either way...just get a damn QB in here Mac.

Just asking a question here because you are always researching football stuff. What is his TD/INT ratio in non garbage time ? Do you know that.

Not taking anything away from what Glennon accomplished but it would have been interesting to see Genos numbers if played with a number 1 caliber receiver the last two years...  (Decker was a good number two who was hurt most of the year and Harvin showed up when the season was already pratically over.) 

Just asking a question here because you are always researching football stuff. What is his TD/INT ratio in non garbage time ? Do you know that.

I'll take a look and let you know.

Regardless of what it is though, Geno has played a whoooole lot of garbage time football himself and still hasn't managed to come close to Glennon's numbers.

I'll get back to you on this though.

I can tell you why I'm dismissing it.  He performed well enough as a rookie to justify being given the starting role.  Completed just a shade under 60% of his passes to go along with 19TD and just 9 INTs.  With that being the case, the Bucs signed a scrub QB who they've already let go, and anointed him the starter w/o any competition.  They clearly started the inferior player which tells me they just don't like Glennon.  What other reason could you give for benching a guy who went 19/9 and 59.6% comp as a rookie on  a bad team?

It  may not be the Jets, but somebody is gonna' get a bargain by trading for this guy.

He's simply not a very good QB. Amazed at the fuss people are making about a backup at best QB

Recently, there are some thoughts that Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterback Mike Glennon is on the trading block. Pewter Reports' Mark Cook has an answer from his online Chat Fridays that contradicts any notion of trading Glennon.

I believe the biggest debate that will take place draft weekend is Glennon. I am certain teams will be willing to make a deal and offer at least a mid-round pick if not more. So I am not confident Glennon is here next year.

But by the Bucs not signing a veteran QB during the offseason, it tells me they would prefer to have Glennon as a backup. (Plus I have been told that directly to my face as well). But a third round pick could be an offensive starter. A guard perhaps? What is more valuable? A backup QB or starter on the offensive line? This is where the debate could happen.

Then add to that, Lovie said the following at a breakfast interview:

"I think we want to have our quarterback position as strong as possible. Yes, you're a veteran and you've been in the league, you can help a young player coming in a little bit more. But Mike Glennon is on our roster because we think he can play. You need more than one good quarterback, that's why Mike is there. No one is working harder than Mike Glennon at improving his body and becoming a better quarterback."

So while the Bucs are fielding trade inquiries, depth at the quarterback position is important to Lovie Smith. Last year, Glennon had to coming in at halftime when starting quarterback Josh McCown fell to injury. Glennon started five games last year. There is still some promise in Glennon. Although he helped generate one win in those five games started, he did help give the team a lead in the fourth quarter four times.

What is there not to like about a backup quarterback on a cheap rookie deal that has two more years left on his contract? Not only that, but with an established offensive coordinator in Dirk Koetter, who has helped Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, Glennon can improve his game and possibly raise his stock.

But Mark Cook does pose a great question, "What if it's a third round pick?"

Get it done Big Mac, our high 3rd should do it. If not Geno and a 2016 conditional late round pick Geno would be a perfect back up for Tampa . Want nothing to to with Hundley, Petty, or Grayson.

A quick glance at his career splits.

Games decided by 7 points or less- 13 TD's 8 INT's

Games decided by 8-14 points- 6 TD's 1 INT

Games decided by 15+- 10 TD's, 6 INTs

So in games in which his team is within 2 TD's, he's at 19 TD's 8 INT's

Of course this doesn't tell the whole story, but clearly not compiling stats in blowouts as some seem to think.

He's simply not a very good QB. Amazed at the fuss people are making about a backup at best QB

That's cool...everyone in entitled to their opinion.  I think he's good and thus far his numbers would suggest the same.  It's early though, and he may end up being a complete bust and out of the NFL next season...the nice thing is that we get to watch and see for ourselves.

Also, no matter how bad any NFL team is, you really don't hit garbage time until mid-3rd quarter at the earliest.  In the first half of every game you still have a shot to win.

Glennon 1st half stats for career:

16 TD's 7 INT's 60% comp pct

No team is spending the first half in a prevent defense and letting a QB do what he wants...gotta' earn it.

Recently, there are some thoughts that Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterback Mike Glennon is on the trading block. Pewter Reports' Mark Cook has an answer from his online Chat Fridays that contradicts any notion of trading Glennon.

I believe the biggest debate that will take place draft weekend is Glennon. I am certain teams will be willing to make a deal and offer at least a mid-round pick if not more. So I am not confident Glennon is here next year.

But by the Bucs not signing a veteran QB during the offseason, it tells me they would prefer to have Glennon as a backup. (Plus I have been told that directly to my face as well). But a third round pick could be an offensive starter. A guard perhaps? What is more valuable? A backup QB or starter on the offensive line? This is where the debate could happen.

Then add to that, Lovie said the following at a breakfast interview:

"I think we want to have our quarterback position as strong as possible. Yes, you're a veteran and you've been in the league, you can help a young player coming in a little bit more. But Mike Glennon is on our roster because we think he can play. You need more than one good quarterback, that's why Mike is there. No one is working harder than Mike Glennon at improving his body and becoming a better quarterback."

So while the Bucs are fielding trade inquiries, depth at the quarterback position is important to Lovie Smith. Last year, Glennon had to coming in at halftime when starting quarterback Josh McCown fell to injury. Glennon started five games last year. There is still some promise in Glennon. Although he helped generate one win in those five games started, he did help give the team a lead in the fourth quarter four times.

What is there not to like about a backup quarterback on a cheap rookie deal that has two more years left on his contract? Not only that, but with an established offensive coordinator in Dirk Koetter, who has helped Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, Glennon can improve his game and possibly raise his stock.

But Mark Cook does pose a great question, "What if it's a third round pick?"

Get it done Big Mac, our high 3rd should do it. If not Geno and a 2016 conditional late round pick Geno would be a perfect back up for Tampa . Want nothing to to with Hundley, Petty, or Grayson.

If you read between the lines the reason for this article is to let everyone know that Glennon is available for a 3rd round pick. I highly doubt any team giving them a 3rd rounder for Glennon though.

Also, no matter how bad any NFL team is, you really don't hit garbage time until mid-3rd quarter at the earliest.  In the first half of every game you still have a shot to win.

Glennon 1st half stats for career:

16 TD's 7 INT's 60% comp pct

No team is spending the first half in a prevent defense and letting a QB do what he wants...gotta' earn it.

That's one part of it and I agree with you. Those number's look impressive.

Flip side of the coin what does he do in the 4th quarter with game on the line ?

That's cool...everyone in entitled to their opinion.  I think he's good and thus far his numbers would suggest the same.  It's early though, and he may end up being a complete bust and out of the NFL next season...the nice thing is that we get to watch and see for ourselves.

Stats do not tell the whole story on a QB.  Geno played with a shaky OL, terrible offensive weapons, and a HC that actively hinders the development of QBs in so many many ways. Glennon plays against a worse division with decent receivers, but his own team clearly doesn't think he is valuable at all. That has to tell you something, Glennon is not mobile, and has no real upside he is what he is. A solid backup game manager that might be able to keep you in a few games if your main QB is going down.

I would MUCH rather see them sign Austin Davis, he has some real upside potential. Glennon is a complete dud, not better than Geno or Fitz.

Archived