NY Jets Rumors: Mike Glennon Trade Option

flgreen

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We gave up our 5th & 6th already, a team builds through draft acquiring picks not giving them up

And we had 4, 4th round picks last year.  How did that work out?

If Glennon has half the upside Villain seems to think he does, and Glennon's stats give some credence to Villain's claims, I'm more then willing to give it up and a failed QB, and see what the kid has.

If Glennon has half the upside Villain seems to think he does, and Glennon's stats give some credence to Villain's claims, I'm more then willing to give it up and a failed QB, and see what the kid has.

Thats exactly my point. People criticize trading a mid round pick on Glennon but then wouldnt mind drafting a Bryce Petty in the 3rd/4th round. Like, really? Why not trade the pick to a team that will give you in return a QB that has NFL experience, that wont have to sit and learn the pro game, that has shown ability with limited talent around him, that is a natural in the pocket and can beat out both QB's currently on the team? 

sh*t gets really deep on this forum sometimes lol. 

Thats exactly my point. People criticize trading a mid round pick on Glennon but then wouldnt mind drafting a Bryce Petty in the 3rd/4th round. Like, really? Why not trade the pick to a team that will give you in return a QB that has NFL experience, that wont have to sit and learn the pro game, that has shown ability with limited talent around him, that is a natural in the pocket and can beat out both QB's currently on the team? 

I agree

I'm not saying the guy is a shoo in to be a franchise QB, but as you say, he has shown  over the course of a full season , that he can at least play in the league.  And actually his stats look like he can play pretty well.  I can't think of another potential 4th rounder I can say that about.

You win, you've convinced me he is worth a shot

Phillip Rivers has been an MVP candidate for the past 5 years, but when have you ever seen Rivers win a game they HAD to win? Rivers is rarely in the playoffs dude. The last 6 years the Chargers have been in the playoffs how many times? And thats during what I will agree has been the prime of his career, but c'mon, what Jets fans do you know has ever felt butterflies in their stomach when we had to face the Chargers, honestly? Mike Glennon at least has the excuse of being a QB on one of 3 worst ran franchises in the NFL. I mean, outside of the Titans its pretty much a toss up that the Bucs as an organization have been just horrendous. Whats Rivers excuse? Now I'm not saying that we wouldn't be SB contenders if Rivers was here, I never even criticized Rivers in my response, but since we're on the subject please tell me, what has Rivers done to be traded for by the Jets? What has he done to give up top picks for, to then find a way to give him 20 times the amount of money that we would pay Glennon and is almost a decade older? His resume isn't impressive.

He's a very good QB, but in regards to what we would have to give up to get him, then pay?....no.

I think you are too focused on the value thing regarding salary. Yeah, rivers is a a 15-18 million a year guy. No one is really worth that... If you think about it. But the market dictates salary.

Glennon has accomplished nothing. They aren't even in the same conversation. I get that you like a young prospect and want a long term starter. But he is a complete question mark. Rivers is a proven vet. Easily top 10, maybe as high as 7 on some lists. Glennon is barely top 32.

I never said we should give up a top pick for Rivers. I'd give this years 3rd or next years 2nd. That's it.

I think you are too focused on the value thing regarding salary. Yeah, rivers is a a 15-18 million a year guy. No one is really worth that... If you think about it. But the market dictates salary.

Glennon has accomplished nothing. They aren't even in the same conversation. I get that you like a young prospect and want a long term starter. But he is a complete question mark. Rivers is a proven vet. Easily top 10, maybe as high as 7 on some lists. Glennon is barely top 32.

I never said we should give up a top pick for Rivers. I'd give this years 3rd or next years 2nd. That's it.

For a top 10, maybe even top 7 (on some lists) proven vet QB. lol. 

And Glennon is only a question mark for those not willing to answer the question. Look at his games. He's not better than Phillip Rivers, but I could make the argument that dude is  better than 10, maybe 12 starting QB's in this league right now which would make him top 20-22 with no offensive line. 

For a top 10, maybe even top 7 (on some lists) proven vet QB. lol. 

And Glennon is only a question mark for those not willing to answer the question. Look at his games. He's not better than Phillip Rivers, but I could make the argument that dude is  better than 10, maybe 12 starting QB's in this league right now which would make him top 20-22 with no offensive line.

Dude you have to consider all the variables. He's againg and he has been clear he's not resigning with them. So now they have to shop him. Not a lot of teams can afford him, and very few teams don't have either a top QB or a guy they recently drafted who is their solid #1. Our offense is ready made for a guy like that.

I like Glennon, but your original statement is he makes us an automatic super bowl contender. That was my issue. If we traded for him I certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

Geez I hate to enable Villain, but with a full year of snaps, Glennon has a 2-1 TD-int ratio.  Not bad for a very young player

Villain's pretty good at just wearing you down.   I've all but jumped on the bandwagon.

Villain's pretty good at just wearing you down.   I've all but jumped on the bandwagon.

LOL

Yeah that's what happened to me.  When Villain started this obsession, I was one of the people who poked a little fun at him.  Now I'm arguing on his side.  LOL

Dude you have to consider all the variables. He's againg and he has been clear he's not resigning with them. So now they have to shop him. Not a lot of teams can afford him, and very few teams don't have either a top QB or a guy they recently drafted who is their solid #1. Our offense is ready made for a guy like that.

I like Glennon, but your original statement is he makes us an automatic super bowl contender. That was my issue. If we traded for him I certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

Thats fair. Now let me consider them.  How about the variable where Phillip Rivers actual reason of not wanting to resign is mainly because he doesnt want to play in Los Angeles and possibly have to move his wife and 20 kids (I hear he home schools all his children) into the city so he's waiting to see what the Chargers situation will look like regarding the potential move. Or the variable that if Phillip doesnt want to play in Los Angeles, just a few miles away from San Diego, what would make anyone think that Rivers will go through with a trade to play in NYC? Or the variable that even if Rivers did end up agreeing that it will most likely hinder on a new contract with alot of guaranteed money that we no longer have. 

These are some of the Variables. 

Now, your issue was that I said Glennon could make us a Superbowl contender. Yeah, I stand by it. Why? Because I think that Glennon puts us at contention to win the division, and if we can have a shot at winning the division with the Patriots in the division then that means we have a pretty good position in the playoffs. We won 11 games with Mark Sanchez and a team that wasnt as talented in regards to players as well as coordinators on the offensive side of the ball. Most of all, trading for Mike Glennon is a realistic move that the Jets can actually make. Rivers, not so much. 

Im not bugging here, I know what I'm saying. You just need to relax and look at what I'm saying, take into consideration the variables "as well" and then realize that I'm not talking nonsense here. 

EDIT: This doesnt mean that I dont believe that we wouldnt be a SB contender or a contender for the division with Rivers, of course I would think that. My thing is why pay a guy 20 times the money and we know that Phillp Rivers rarely wins big games. I dont care about the Marty and Norv excuse. There are times when a top 10/top 7 "Franchise QB" just takes over a game and will "will" a win. The guy is 33 years old and I couldn't tell you a defining career game. And I'm not trying to sh*t on Rivers, but lets be truthful here. So no, I dont want to give 20 times the money, multiple picks this year and picks next year to trade for a guy that is a "Top 10/Top 7 Franchise QB" who I can't even come up with a defining moment in his career. I'd rather take my chances with a guy who's looking for the same chance that Rivers already had at a realistic price in case we do have to draft a QB down the road. 

See that is where I have an issue. You keep making that assumption based on his play in Tampa but you are not considering for one second that Geno might have improved enough over the off season to actually beat out Glennon. I know you love the guy but is far from a given that he would beat out Geno or Fitz. 

Then watch the failed Qb that you gave up too soon on develop into a quality qb.  Geno Smith was a very raw coming out of college and the truth is he should just now be competing to start having spent the last two years or at least year and half on the bench.  I know most fans think he is a lost cause but I don't; and if we were to trade for Glennon (4th rounder tops) I would be fine with the competition in camp but I would not be shocked at all if Geno wins the job.   He has been a work in progress and his best football is ahead of him.  I know that is not a popular opinion but that is what I think.  

I really hope we do not mortgage our draft picks and make the mistake of moving up for Mariota. That would put the organization back by atleast 3 to 4 years at a minimum.

3-4 years? We're not trading for Hershel walker.

See that is where I have an issue. You keep making that assumption based on his play in Tampa but you are not considering for one second that Geno might have improved enough over the off season to actually beat out Glennon. I know you love the guy but is far from a given that he would beat out Geno or Fitz. 

Its actually you guys that are making assumptions here. I watched Geno and Glennon play and I've seen Glennon in many instances over achieve with the lack of an offensive line, running game and defense. I've watched Geno underachieve with a very solid line in comparison, a top 3 rushing game in terms of yards and a top 10 defense and an average wr group in his 2nd season.

And I also am taking into consideration that Glennon may have also improved over the offseason. Point being, Glennon, given what he had still outplayed Geno. Geno had the better overall team on ever level outside of WR and didnt look as good as Glennon. 

Then watch the failed Qb that you gave up too soon on develop into a quality qb.  Geno Smith was a very raw coming out of college and the truth is he should just now be competing to start having spent the last two years or at least year and half on the bench.  I know most fans think he is a lost cause but I don't; and if we were to trade for Glennon (4th rounder tops) I would be fine with the competition in camp but I would not be shocked at all if Geno wins the job.   He has been a work in progress and his best football is ahead of him.  I know that is not a popular opinion but that is what I think.  

I dont think Geno is a lost cause. I dont think you cut Geno if we get another QB. However, Geno has done nothing to give me the feeling that I can trust going into the season with him, Fitz and Simms. 

That would just be crazy. 

Not true. They cut Josh McCown because it was financially irresponsible to have your 3rd string QB make more money than your 2nd string and possibly your first string. 

so they need a back up QB in the trade to save face.  which of our QB's do they want ?

so they need a back up QB in the trade to save face.  which of our QB's do they want ?

They're not getting any of our QBs. Mike Vick, Jason Campbell, Matt Flynn, Case Keenum, Tyler Thigpen are all still available. 

If I'm correct, McCown would have made something like 5 and a half million dollars this year if the Bucs kept him. 

Gruden, Mayock, and Kiper, make their livings being TV talking heads now.  They just don't have the 1,000's of hours of research, or the resources available that an NFL GM does.

Do they have more available then we as fans have watching highlight films on you tube?  Sure.   But no NFL GM is revealing to them what their current big board looks like at this point.  None that will have a job next year at least

Bill Polian basically said that last yr before the draft on Sirius NFL Radio. Admitted, even as a member of the media now, no one media person has 1/2 the info NFL teams have i.e. Interviews, background checks, medicals and no 1 person can thoroughly scout 300 college players. Add to that teams stack their board based on players that fit the systems they run. Media mocks are primarily vanilla

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.   I fully acknowledge that the absolute best scenario for the Jets is for Smith to come into camp and just take charge and not look back.  I would be thrilled if that happened.  Just don't think it's going to happen.

Half way through Smith's senior year, when he was putting up Monster numbers, and some people were talking about him being the first overall pick in the draft, I became interested in him, and started watching all of WVU games.  Jets need a QB   (I watch a lot of NCAA football, and have all the fairly cheap packages)

I wasn't very impressed.    Then the Pinstripe Bowl.   A very mediocre Syracuse team made him look like a lost clown in very bad weather.   This was in NY.

I was terrorized the Jets were going to take him early in the 1st round.   When they took him in the second I was OK with it.  He did have some talent.  I'll agree with you on the issue of he was mishandled, and didn't belong as a starter his rookie year, we'll disagree on that I still don't think he should be on the field.  I really haven't seen that much improvement in him.  He still is a one read QB, who panics when his first read isn't open, and does stupid things.  i still see the confused QB that Syracuse humiliated.

Will Gailey improve him?  Probably.  But like the other bad QB's Gailey has improved, he'll never make a franchise QB out of him.  That's my opinion.

Glennon on the other hand (who I also wasn't crazy about in the draft)  was also put into a very bad situation, on a far worst team then the Jets were.  He put up some very nice personal numbers.  2-1 TD to Int ratio, 83+ RTG.  More importantly,  The eye test told ya he was a decent QB, on a very bad team.

Not saying he is going to be the next great anything, but as Villain has pointed out, he would be the best QB on the Jets.  For a mid round draft pick I would really love to see what  Gailey could do with this kid

GO RANGERS

Bill Polian basically said that last yr before the draft on Sirius NFL Radio. Admitted, even as a member of the media now, no one media person has 1/2 the info NFL teams have i.e. Interviews, background checks, medicals and no 1 person can thoroughly scout 300 college players. Add to that teams stack their board based on players that fit the systems they run. Media mocks are primarily vanilla

Media mocks are mostly hype.  They put out 4-6 mocks, all different, to keep people clicking on their sites, and buying their "exclusive" draft reports.

Good for them, they know more then most, but because Kiper says a player is rising or falling, really doesn't mean he is.

Think we agree

GO RANGERS

Please refer to Mark Sanchez. Once you move up and draft a QB and it does not pan out 3-4 years is the minimum time.

He took us to two afcc games and were a 3rd down stop away from driving for a SB birth.

Media mocks are mostly hype. They put out 4-6 mocks, all different, to keep people clicking on their sites, and buying their "exclusive" draft reports.

Good for them, they know more then most, but because Kiper says a player is rising or falling, really doesn't mean he is.

Think we agree

GO RANGERS

Yes. We do. Completely agree regarding media mocks.

It's not a fair comparison.  Geno played in a spread offense  which prepared him for high school football. Glennon played in a pro set offense at NC State   . Guess which one started his 1st year as a pro ?

Geno Smith should sue Rex Ryan and Morningwig  for mal practice .

It's not a fair comparison.  Geno played in a spread offense  which prepared him for high school football. Glennon played in a pro set offense at NC State   . Guess which one started his 1st year as a pro ?

Geno Smith should sue Rex Ryan and Morningwig  for mal practice .

This.

I'm not sure I've ever seen him throw a pass but I am now completely sold on Mike Glennon.  Get him here now McCags!

your completely Sold on a guy who the worst team in football doesn't think  is good enough to be in the teams future or present plans?

i guess since the trash isn't on the jets already it makes him better trash than what we already have. 

First Rivers wants to stay in SD, If the team stays, he wants to stay. If the team moves to LA, Rivers does not want to move his family into that big city environment, that rules out NYC. He pretty much decides where he goes as if they trade him somewhere they have an unhappy guy making 22 mill next year.

Rivers is an upper level qb, Him and Glennon should not even be compared other than they are both bipedal.  Pointing out that he has not won championships, does not invalidate who and what he is. He is just the most important player of the 53, not the team itself.  Besides Brady he is my favorite NFL qb, Him playing in january in a below freezing game in foxboro with a knee that needed surgery proves that he is the leader of a team, While classy LT stood on the sidelines with his visor on. 

The Glennon trade should be made as Winston's name is called out,  But it will cost at least the 3rd with the browns looking for a qb also. 

First Rivers wants to stay in SD, If the team stays, he wants to stay. If the team moves to LA, Rivers does not want to move his family into that big city environment, that rules out NYC. He pretty much decides where he goes as if they trade him somewhere they have an unhappy guy making 22 mill next year.

Rivers is an upper level qb, Him and Glennon should not even be compared other than they are both bipedal.  Pointing out that he has not won championships, does not invalidate who and what he is. He is just the most important player of the 53, not the team itself.  Besides Brady he is my favorite NFL qb, Him playing in january in a below freezing game in foxboro with a knee that needed surgery proves that he is the leader of a team, While classy LT stood on the sidelines with his visor on. 

The Glennon trade should be made as Winston's name is called out,  But it will cost at least the 3rd with the browns looking for a qb also. 

funny thing is on the bucs message board (pewter report) they would be shocked if they get a 5th for him.  interesting you think he is worth a 3rd rd pick at this point..

Archived