Daredevil **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

JoeC36

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have a few minor critiques about Jessica Jones, but honestly it would be nitpicking and I'd be spoiling sh*t anyways. I think it's as perfectly executed a comic show as you can get. The way they did Purple Man was just superb, and I think the best things to come out of the series going forward are Luke Cage and Nuke. No question Luke Cage is going to be awesome now, and I think the introduction of Nuke makes thing really interesting for Daredevil. Season 2 looks like it has enough characters in it, but I would not be surprised at all to see him pop up in The Defenders or Season 3. Don't forget he was one of Daredevil's toughest challenged, and Kingpin actually hired him to take out DD once upon a time.

Also worth noting that some great Captain America storylines have included Nuke. As Cap has a soft spot for him for obvious reasons, (soldier who was experimented on and taken advantage of).

Some artists did this up and it's pretty badass. Doubt they'll ever do the full tattoo, because it would look patently ridiculous on an actual actor, but it's nice to dream:

nukex-160908.jpg

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I thought he was kind of annoying in Walking Dead.  But he looks PERFECT for the Punisher. 

WHAT?  He was awesome in Walking Dead...and anything else he's bee in for that matter.

That trailer looks amazing!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I thought he was kind of annoying in Walking Dead.  But he looks PERFECT for the Punisher. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

WHAT?  He was awesome in Walking Dead...and anything else he's bee in for that matter.

That trailer looks amazing!!!!!!!!

You're both right. 

• 2 weeks later...

More fun ahead from Netflix!

Iron Fist, the Marvel superhero set to feature in Netflix and Marvel's fourth series collaboration, has a face. According to a report from Entertainment Weekly today, British actor Finn Jones, who plays Ser Loras Tyrell in HBO's "Game of Thrones," has been cast as the lead character of the upcoming "Marvel's Iron Fist" Netflix series.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/report-british-actor-finn-jones-cast-iron-fist-netflix-series-n525851

• 4 weeks later...

***** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS *****

Couple of things I think I think:

• Bernthal's Punisher is the best screen adaptation of the character yet, and maybe this is me being a fanboy, but it's not even close.
  • The first 4 episodes are ******* awesome. Season 1 fell victim to problems with the pace of the story. This doesn't seem to be an issue so far, I am on episode 6.
  • Season 1 had an amazing hallway fight scene that seemed inspired by Oldboy, it was my favorite fight scene of S1. Season 2 trumps it with a stairwell scene that is longer, more intense and includes much better camera work. 
  • Foggy is GREAT in this season. Can't believe I just typed that.
  • There's less of those scenes where the 3 of them just sort of whine their way through the morality of a decision. It still has enough to feel right for the aesthetic established, but it's no longer being belabored like it was in S1.
  • This chick playing Elektra is a smoke show, and is crushing it in the role.

40 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

***** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS *****

Couple of things I think I think:

• Bernthal's Punisher is the best screen adaptation of the character yet, and maybe this is me being a fanboy, but it's not even close.
  • The first 4 episodes are ******* awesome. Season 1 fell victim to problems with the pace of the story. This doesn't seem to be an issue so far, I am on episode 6.
  • Season 1 had an amazing hallway fight scene that seemed inspired by Oldboy, it was my favorite fight scene of S1. Season 2 trumps it with a stairwell scene that is longer, more intense and includes much better camera work. 
  • Foggy is GREAT in this season. Can't believe I just typed that.
  • There's less of those scenes where the 3 of them just sort of whine their way through the morality of a decision. It still has enough to feel right for the aesthetic established, but it's no longer being belabored like it was in S1.
  • This chick playing Elektra is a smoke show, and is crushing it in the role.

Bernthal is perfection in that role. Blows me away

1 minute ago, JoeC36 said:

Bernthal is perfection in that role. Blows me away

The scene where he's just sitting, looking at the carousel.

The scene where he opens up to DD in the cemetery. 

Every fight scene.

Yes.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The scene where he's just sitting, looking at the carousel.

The scene where he opens up to DD in the cemetery. 

Every fight scene.

Yes.

I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical. A great live action punisher hadnt been done yet. Wasn't 100 percent sure on Bernthal either, but I'm glad that I'm wrong. I will say without spoilers, that IMO he gets better as the season goes on.

Just now, JoeC36 said:

I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical. A great live action punisher hadnt been done yet. Wasn't 100 percent sure on Bernthal either, but I'm glad that I'm wrong. I will say without spoilers, that IMO he gets better as the season goes on.

Yea, I was skeptical too. I'm having a hard time now streaming the rest while at work today... imo, this blows away the first season... absolutely blows it away, and I thought S1 was fantastic.

2 episodes in and so far so good.  Like the pace of this season out the gates.  Darker too.

The intro to The Punisher was spectacular.   Possibly the best intro ever for a Marvel character.  This portrayal is spot on so far...cant wait to see how much deeper they develop his character.  

Foggy and Karen annoy the sh*t out of me.  They literally make me sleepy when they hit the screen and its just those two.  Ditto for the the long winded deep we're concerned conversations they have one-on-one with Murdock at least for 5-10 minutes a show.  I think they can move on from that at this point.  We get it, they're afraid he's going to get hurt and blah blah blah and it's boring.  Move on already.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

2 episodes in and so far so good.  Like the pace of this season out the gates.  Darker too.

The intro to The Punisher was spectacular.   Possibly the best intro ever for a Marvel character.  This portrayal is spot on so far...cant wait to see how much deeper they develop his character.  

Foggy and Karen annoy the sh*t out of me.  They literally make me sleepy when they hit the screen and its just those two.  Ditto for the the long winded deep we're concerned conversations they have one-on-one with Murdock at least for 5-10 minutes a show.  I think they can move on from that at this point.  We get it, they're afraid he's going to get hurt and blah blah blah and it's boring.  Move on already.

Foggy is MUCH better this season, but I generally agree. In fact, if I put this show on too late at night, I doze off... I had this problem in S1 too, I constantly had to go back and figure out where I fell asleep, and it was always during the Matt, Foggy, Karen scenes where they talk about morality and/or him getting hurt.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Foggy is MUCH better this season, but I generally agree. In fact, if I put this show on too late at night, I doze off... I had this problem in S1 too, I constantly had to go back and figure out where I fell asleep, and it was always during the Matt, Foggy, Karen scenes where they talk about morality and/or him getting hurt.

You're further ahead then me so I'm glad to hear Foggy gets better...because he's unbearable at times. 

Do the stupid 10 minute morality/concerned conversations stop?  Seriously, it takes a lot away from the show and they're bad enough to drive me away all together. 

Then again, I hated that about Walking Dead too and why I initally couldnt handle the show and now I'm completely hooked.  lol

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You're further ahead then me so I'm glad to hear Foggy gets better...because he's unbearable at times. 

Do the stupid 10 minute morality/concerned conversations stop?  Seriously, it takes a lot away from the show and they're bad enough to drive me away all together. 

Then again, I hated that about Walking Dead too and why I initally couldnt handle the show and now I'm completely hooked.  lol

Oh, I'm just saying Foggy is better than S1. He's still a bit annoying, but he's got some GREAT moments in this season. He was just a blubbering baby in S1.

22 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, I'm just saying Foggy is better than S1. He's still a bit annoying, but he's got some GREAT moments in this season. He was just a blubbering baby in S1.

********somewhat spoiler alert**************

Did 2 more episodes last night.  Foggy is definitely not as annoying but still really annoying.  Samies with Karen.

I'm loving this rendition of The Punisher.  It's awesome.  That whole roof scene to cemetery scene was phenomenal. 

That said, 4 episodes in and it seems like this season is much more about The Punisher than it is about Daredevil.  Nothing I've seen so far advances the story of the Daredevil.

Maybe now that he locked up The Punisher, they focus a little bit more on Daredevil?  They intro'd Electra last night so I'm hoping they focus on their background/conflict a little bit which will get them back to the Daredevil.  Not that its a big deal as The Punisher has been awesome.  It's just an observation.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did 2 more episodes last night.  Foggy is definitely not as annoying but still really annoying.  Samies with Karen.

I'm loving this rendition of The Punisher.  It's awesome.  That whole roof scene to cemetery scene was phenomenal. 

That said, 4 episodes in and it seems like this season is much more about The Punisher than it is about Daredevil.  Nothing I've seen so far advances the story of the Daredevil.

Maybe now that he locked up The Punisher, they focus a little bit more on Daredevil?  They intro'd Electra last night so I'm hoping they focus on their background/conflict a little bit which will get them back to the Daredevil.  Not that its a big deal as The Punisher has been awesome.  It's just an observation.

lol, just keep watching... I think I can say this without spoiling, but to whet your palette a bit... 

This season does an amazing job of pulling in several character lines, while also unpacking so much more story depth. S1 was all about Murdock's boner for Kingpin... this season builds the DD universe and beyond.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree some of the season does seem to be a backdoor pilot for a Punisher series, which I'm not going to complain about. But overall it's still Daredevil's vehicle 

18 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

I agree some of the season does seem to be a backdoor pilot for a Punisher series, which I'm not going to complain about. But overall it's still Daredevil's vehicle 

This season feels the most to me like how comic books are written though... you have your character, the guy the title is about, but then you have characters from all over the universe (that are relevant to the context for the title character) woven in and out of his book.

S1, in my opinion, put DD under a magnifying glass and didn't open things up. This season is doing that, and it allows for really great future "team-ups" and "wars", rather than just the 1-1 struggle that DD had with Kingpin in S1. This feels like a true comic book arc, where each episode can stand-alone pretty well as an "issue", but also snaps into a bigger set of story arcs. One arc for the title character, in this case DD. One arc for the universe, in this case let's call it the "Marvel's Hell's Kitchen"... which includes DD, Jessica Jones, Nic Cage, some others I don't want to name right now, and myriad villains associated with all of them. It creates opportunities for overlap, and exponential development of character and universe. I love it.

31 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This season feels the most to me like how comic books are written though... you have your character, the guy the title is about, but then you have characters from all over the universe (that are relevant to the context for the title character) woven in and out of his book.

S1, in my opinion, put DD under a magnifying glass and didn't open things up. This season is doing that, and it allows for really great future "team-ups" and "wars", rather than just the 1-1 struggle that DD had with Kingpin in S1. This feels like a true comic book arc, where each episode can stand-alone pretty well as an "issue", but also snaps into a bigger set of story arcs. One arc for the title character, in this case DD. One arc for the universe, in this case let's call it the "Marvel's Hell's Kitchen"... which includes DD, Jessica Jones, Nic Cage, some others I don't want to name right now, and myriad villains associated with all of them. It creates opportunities for overlap, and exponential development of character and universe. I love it.

You nailed it. Season two is for the comic book lovers. For the casual fan, i'd imagine they'd be a bit disappointed that every episode isn't DD centric. But for the purposes of telling a greater story, the show works.

10 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

You nailed it. Season two is for the comic book lovers. For the casual fan, i'd imagine they'd be a bit disappointed that every episode isn't DD centric. But for the purposes of telling a greater story, the show works.

Exactly.

I loved the Punisher. I bought issues of Daredevil, Spidey, Wolverine, Ghost Rider, whenever he crossed over into them... whether or not I bought those titles regularly, or not. 

It's just how it works. :)

On 3/22/2016 at 11:14 AM, Integrity28 said:

I'm 8 deep now and you're right,.  It's great.  I love it.  Even dropping references to Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Phenomenal season so far.  Foggy definitely get less annoying and much more important and it's setting up what I remember of the comics well.  Foggy is currently the real hero of Hell's Kitchen.

They've really set this up to go a hundred different directions.  Loving it.  

****Spoiler Alert**** - I finished the episode where The Punisher meets Kingpin.  Cant wait to get home tonight to watch the next episode. 

Just finished the season, loved it, not a huge comic book buff, but who doesn't love the punisher, and who doesn't love multiple characters like DD, Electra, and Punisher on the same screen at the same time, "spoiler alert" the roof top scene in the last episode when all 3 are in play at some point helping was awesome.  Don't know who Jessica Jones is, but I guess I will take a peak at that, and then the other one that comes out in September.

Just wrapped up S2.

- There is an argument to be made for Bernthal's Punisher to be the most truest to form interpretation of a comic character on-screen. Episodes 2-4 had me on the edge of my seat the entire time with him. It's clear that him and the writers really did their homework and put extensive thought into it. So much of that dialogue was pulled right from the Punisher Max stuff. Just fantastic. He deserves his own series.

- I thought Elektra was good, not great. I don't know. I found some of the fight scenes with her to be a little on the weaker side, and it took way too long for the writers to reveal what she was. I get that they wanted to save it for the finale, but I was starting to lose interest in her story by episode 12.

- Stick rocks.

- The setup they've done for Karen is brilliant. Karen Page is an integral character in the comics and they have set everything up so perfectly for Born Again, which I'm guessing they'll do in S3 or S4.

- I think one of the concerns I had with the show in S1 became even more of a problem now through S2. The hitch with having all of this exist in the same universe as the MCU is we're constantly left asking where the Avengers are if something really hits the fan. This of course is never a problem in the comics for obvious reasons, but them turning to the story with The Hand brings larger problems into the picture and it's hard to buy that characters like Dr. Strange and Spider-Man wouldn't have an interest in any of this considering Peter Parker patrols NY and the Sanctum Sanctorum is less than 3 miles away. Not to mention Iron-Man considering the Stark Tower is in Columbus Circle, or Captain America who will always have some sort of interest in New York. It's going to be hard to keep suspending disbelief if they go deeper into the supernatural aspects of the Marvel Universe.

- All in all I still give this show an A+. I think it's the best comic series ever and hands down the best thing Marvel has ever done. Bring on Luke Cage.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just wrapped up S2.

- There is an argument to be made for Bernthal's Punisher to be the most truest to form interpretation of a comic character on-screen. Episodes 2-4 had me on the edge of my seat the entire time with him. It's clear that him and the writers really did their homework and put extensive thought into it. So much of that dialogue was pulled right from the Punisher Max stuff. Just fantastic. He deserves his own series.

- I thought Elektra was good, not great. I don't know. I found some of the fight scenes with her to be a little on the weaker side, and it took way too long for the writers to reveal what she was. I get that they wanted to save it for the finale, but I was starting to lose interest in her story by episode 12.

- Stick rocks.

- The setup they've done for Karen is brilliant. Karen Page is an integral character in the comics and they have set everything up so perfectly for Born Again, which I'm guessing they'll do in S3 or S4.

- I think one of the concerns I had with the show in S1 became even more of a problem now through S2. The hitch with having all of this exist in the same universe as the MCU is we're constantly left asking where the Avengers are if something really hits the fan. This of course is never a problem in the comics for obvious reasons, but them turning to the story with The Hand brings larger problems into the picture and it's hard to buy that characters like Dr. Strange and Spider-Man wouldn't have an interest in any of this considering Peter Parker patrols NY and the Sanctum Sanctorum is less than 3 miles away. Not to mention Iron-Man considering the Stark Tower is in Columbus Circle, or Captain America who will always have some sort of interest in New York. It's going to be hard to keep suspending disbelief if they go deeper into the supernatural aspects of the Marvel Universe.

- All in all I still give this show an A+. I think it's the best comic series ever and hands down the best thing Marvel has ever done. Bring on Luke Cage.

Oh, thank goodness.

Archived