Salute to Veterans during games is actually a paid advertisement by National Guard

Lizard King

TRENTON — At the same time Congress and the president have imposed caps on military spending, the Department of Defense has paid $5.4 million in taxpayer money to 14 NFL teams across the country, including $377,500 to the Jets, with the bulk spent by the National Guard.

U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz) last week called out the New Jersey Army National Guard for the spending, which, in part, paid for a segment at Jets home games in which soldiers were featured on the big screen, thanked for their service and given tickets to the game.

Flake said most in the general public believe the segments were heartfelt salutes by their hometown football team, not an advertising campaign paid for with their money. The Guard defended the arrangement as an effective recruitment tool for the force, and the Jets pointed out numerous other ways in which they support the military.

Nj.com

TRENTON — At the same time Congress and the president have imposed caps on military spending, the Department of Defense has paid $5.4 million in taxpayer money to 14 NFL teams across the country, including $377,500 to the Jets, with the bulk spent by the National Guard.

U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz) last week called out the New Jersey Army National Guard for the spending, which, in part, paid for a segment at Jets home games in which soldiers were featured on the big screen, thanked for their service and given tickets to the game.

Flake said most in the general public believe the segments were heartfelt salutes by their hometown football team, not an advertising campaign paid for with their money. The Guard defended the arrangement as an effective recruitment tool for the force, and the Jets pointed out numerous other ways in which they support the military.

Nj.com

This is pretty surprising. Nfl is pretty grubby to take this money.

This is not the least bit surprising to me. The .gov enterprise loves to inject itself in anything that the public watches. From national anthems to 7th inning stretches ("god bless America") to pre-game flyovers (and/or paratroopers), it is simply non-stop propaganda. I know we're not a political site but I think there is (or should be) at least some place to discuss this as .gov is interested in propagandizing us even if we're not political.

Guys I am going to leave this thread, we should be able to discuss this. But there are a few deleted posts already. So just as a reminder...Politics...Religion....talking about wars....this is not the place for that. We don't care what you think about Democrats or Republicans. All we care about is what you think about the Jets.

Guys I am going to leave this thread, we should be able to discuss this. But there are a few deleted posts already. So just as a reminder...Politics...Religion....talking about wars....this is not the place for that. We don't care what you think about Democrats or Republicans. All we care about is what you think about the Jets.

I just thought that it was the Jets doing it out of real respect for the soldiers. Disappointed there that they took money for this.

Never thought for a second it was subliminal advertising, either. At least when Chase buys a veteran a house, you know it's Chase.

The Jets accepted $377,000 from the US Military to honor servicemen at Jets games:

http://nypost.com/2015/05/11/nfl-teams-paid-off-by-military-to-honor-soldiers/

The Jets also donated a lot of money back to the military, so it wasn't a profit scheme, but what has happened is that a phony moment of recognition was actually a commercial for the armed forces.  Stand up and cheer a vet, make an impression on the 17 year old sitting next to you, get him to sign up for the Navy.

I don't mind recognizing our military but I do mind being used in this regard and I do mind the lengths that the Jets go to to bombard us with nonsense during every TV timeout.  I go to plenty of Rangers and Yankees games, they don't do this stuff at all.  I won't be standing up and cheering these recognitions from here-in, I hope they stop the practice entirely.

SAR I

BS story about nothing.  The military is a client of the NFL.  The Jets also donated over a million dollars back in housing for wounded vets.

Still will stand up and cheer for the vets even if the NFL gets a few of their dollars back 

BS story about nothing.  The military is a client of the NFL.  The Jets also donated over a million dollars back in housing for wounded vets.

Still will stand up and cheer for the vets even if the NFL gets a few of their dollars back 

I'd encourage you not to so they'll stop the practice.

We all support the military, I've picked up the check for vets, I let them off an aircraft first, I thank them when they're around, I donate money, my grandfather and father served, we all know what's right.

But having veterans brought out 2x or 3x a game for the sole purpose of getting young Jets fans to consider a career in the military is just wrong on a few levels, the biggest one is that the Jets spend too much time telling the fans how to act at the games instead of just letting us enjoy the games.  "Make noise!"  "Escape routes!"  "Buy the swim calendar!"  "Jet Up!"  "Master Sargent Johnson just returned from Afghanistan!"  "It's time for helmet races!"  Enough already.

SAR I

Wow.  This dude.  Brags and rubs it your face about every thing this country has done for his pockets but cant appreciate the men who fight to give him such rights.  Unreal.  

Stop it.  You don't know what I do in my personal and professional life to support our efforts overseas, I am certain it's more than most here.

I am simply saying that a paid commercial for the US Marines isn't what I want at football games, especially one that makes me get up and applaud 2x or 3x a game.  It's disingenuous and manipulative.

SAR I

How can you complain about honoring our military past and present.

In two ways:

1.  The way the Jets and the US military are staging it is phony and self-serving.

2.  The Jets are the only NY team that in the post-9/11 era still go to such lengths to recognize the military this much during games.

Do it 1x a game and do it from the heart, not from funding, that's cool.  2x or 3x a game and taking cash isn't right.

SAR I

Stop it.  You don't know what I do in my personal and professional life to support our efforts overseas, I am certain it's more than most here.

I am simply saying that a paid commercial for the US Marines isn't what I want at football games, especially one that makes me get up and applaud 2x or 3x a game.  It's disingenuous and manipulative.

SAR I

Oh the horror!!!

Stay classy, sir. 

This thread has zero chance of ending well.

Yeah, I hope it doesn't turn into "I'm Captain America and you're not" kinda thing, the soap boxing gets tiresome.

Do it 1x a game and do it from the heart, that's cool.  Don't do it 2x or 3x a game for cash.  Awful.

SAR I

Archived