D dept. : Leonard Williams ~ ~ ~

kelly

–- Rookie Leonard Williams recently introduced himself to one of the most famous pass-rushers to wear a New York Jets uniform.

"Yeah, I met 'Gus-tineau,'" Williams said.

The rookie was quickly corrected with how Mark Gastineau's name is pronounced. So far, that might be the only thing the first-round pick has seriously messed up at in his short but promising career.Jets coaches and players were quick to praise Williams on Thursday, days before he makes the first start of his career at defensive end against the Cleveland Browns."Leonard is everything we thought he would be coming out," said defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers. "Hardworking guy and extremely talented. The thing that really stands out is that he kind of picked up the system really well and going into a D-line group that has had a bunch of talented guys in there, he has kind of meshed with them really well.

"The chemistry of that room is really outstanding. But from where Leonard is from Day 1 to where he is now, we are very pleased."The sixth overall pick was supposed to be a luxury for the defensive-line heavy Jets. But with Sheldon Richardson getting ready to serve a four-game suspension, Williams was pressed into action early and he's responded thus far.The first thing you may notice about Williams is his 6-foot-5, 302-pound frame. His athleticism has stood out as well. But Jets coaches have been perhaps most impressed with his mental approach."Leonard came in and what impressed us early on is his mental is very good," head coach Todd Bowles said. "He learned the playbook. He understands his assignments and he asks a lot of questions. That is rare for a rookie coming in like that to ask those types of questions and then not mess them up when he gets in there.

"He's always been a hard worker. He comes out every day. You know what you are getting with him. He is going to play hard and play fast and he is going to know what he's doing."During the preseason, Williams had six tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Of course, Bowles knows that there will be a learning curve full of highs and lows for Williams like any other rookie. He will face blocking schemes and techniques that he has never seen before.Right away, Williams will be put to the test as he could see plenty of eight-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas on Sunday.Bowles knows he and everybody else will have to temper expectations for Williams early on."You expect him to learn from his mistakes," Bowles said. "He is going to see a lot of different blocking schemes that he hasn't seen. That will be part of it, the growing. The biggest thing is how fast can he learn and correct those mistakes and get better from there. You kind of temper expectations because you know he is going to have to go through some growing pains."

One thing is certain, Williams isn't shy about asking veterans and coaches any questions he may have. He has leaned on nose tackle Damon Harrison for guidance quite a bit already in part because he says he didn't start playing football until high school.Here he is now, preparing for his first NFL game. The rookie goes into the season opener studying as much as he can and feeling a bit healthier after dealing with some pain behind his knee above his calf.

"I feel like the biggest improvement is staying consistent," Williams said of what he improved on in camp. "And I showed I can get to the quarterback some plays and I showed I can stop the run some plays. But being the most consistent is what I am working on the most."As for that "Gus-tineau" guy, Williams said he didn't have much time to chat with the popular former Jet pass-rusher. But judging by what Jets coaches are saying about him, Williams will certainly ask Gastineau more questions the next time they meet.And he will definitely get Gastineau's last name right too.

"He is a pretty good guy," Williams said of Gastineau. "He is always laughing every time he comes to practice because he is always saying that guys are so much bigger now than they used to be."Few as big as the Jets' newest pass rushing prodigy.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54014/leonard-williams-readies-for-debut-and-hopes-to-be-latest-impressive-jets-pass-rusher

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Leonard Williams is a large man with huge hair and enormous expectations.

Well, that's no big deal for the New York Jets rookie defensive end.

The No. 6 overall pick has been in the spotlight for years, anchoring USC's defense while beefing up a football resume that had some believing he was the best overall talent in the draft this year. Williams is all set for his NFL regular-season debut, the capper to a life-changing last few months.''I thought I was going to be feeling a lot more anxiety and stuff right now, but I feel the preseason definitely calmed that down for me,'' Williams said Thursday. ''It gave me a good feel for going against other competition in the NFL besides just my teammates. I feel like preseason prepared me well for this.''

Williams has had a solid summer for the Jets, impressing his coaches and teammates. He walked into a situation in which New York's defensive line was already loaded, so he doesn't have to be a savior.''Leonard is everything we thought he would be coming out,'' defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. ''Hardworking guy and extremely talented.''

The Jets just want him to be a playmaking complement to defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson and nose tackle Damon Harrison while fellow end Sheldon Richardson is suspended the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.''Leonard came in and what impressed us early on was that his mental (approach) was very good,'' coach Todd Bowles said. ''He asks a lot of questions, and that's rare for a rookie coming in like that.''The 6-foot-5, 302-pound Williams is a physical presence, and his puffed-out lion-like mane - he's nicknamed ''Big Cat'' - catches your eye whenever he walks into the locker room. Out on the field, he was a force in college, regularly disrupting opponents' backfield and getting up close and personal with quarterbacks as he drove them into the turf.

After a quiet first preseason game with the Jets, Williams had a breakout performance against Atlanta with 1 1/2 sacks, including a safety.''The first game, I was saying that I felt like I wasn't getting enough snaps and I felt like I wasn't making any tackles or plays,'' Williams said. ''So being able to get some stats in the game after that, like some tackles, it definitely boosted my confidence a little bit and showed me that I could do this at the next level.''

Williams injured a muscle behind his knee during the Jets' third preseason game against the Giants, but expects to be a full-go for the season opener against Cleveland on Sunday.''There's still a little bit of pain and it was really sore the day after our first practice Monday,'' Williams said. ''I'm feeling more comfortable on it now.''Since being drafted, the 21-year-old Williams has moved to New Jersey, gotten his driver's license, and gone through his first NFL training camp.The next milestone will be Sunday against the Browns, when Williams expects to feel a few butterflies before the game.

''I'm pretty sure I will,'' he said, relating it to his first college game against Hawaii in 2012. ''It goes away after the first play.''Williams is also sporting a new jersey number these days, switching on Monday from No. 62 to No. 92. He wore No. 94 at USC, but that number belongs to Harrison. So, Williams had to wait until final roster cuts to get something in the 90s.He had three options: 92, 93 and 95. Williams went for the number that former Pro Bowl defensive end Shaun Ellis once wore for the Jets during an 11-year career with the franchise.''I knew of him before,'' Williams said, ''and after the numbers were available, a lot of people were telling me, 'You know, Shaun Ellis' name was 'Big Katt,' too,' so I started looking up his highlights and stuff like that.''

So, what did he think  ?

''I think he's nasty, as you should be as a defensive lineman, and I felt he just gets after it,'' Williams said. ''So I hope I can honor him.''Williams is working at staying consistent, and being a guy who Bowles and Rodgers can rely on to get to the quarterback when needed and stop the run at other times.''I guess I've always kind of been under pressure ever since I got to college,'' Williams said. ''I'm used to playing under pressure now. It's kind of something that drives me instead of hinders me.''

>    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/far-rookie-leonard-williams-everything-jets-hoped-233215160--nfl.html

~ ~  Cool Cat

No one's worried about sixth pick of the draft Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif' pro debut Sunday. Not Bowles, not Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif. And not "Big Cat" himself."He’s always been a hard worker, he comes out every day and you know what you are getting in him," Bowles said. "He’s going to play hard, he’s going to play fast, and he’s going to know what he’s doing."

"It's just the way he' s learning in the classroom and bringing it out on the field, less MEs [mental errors] out on the practice field," Wilkerson said. "Really not to many negative things. He's always ready to learn, willing to learn from myself and the rest of his teammates and coaches."

Williams just turned 21, for goodness sake. How is he able to be such a cool cat ? "I guess I've always kind of been under pressure ever since I got to college," he said. "I guess I'm kind of used to playing under pressure now. That's kind of something that drives me."And if he needed any feedback, the second preseason game against Atlanta — 1.5 sacks, a safety, a TFL and a backfield PD — provided it to him.

"That definitely boosted my confidence a little bit," he said, "and showed me I could do this at the next level."

rest of above article :

>   http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/NotesQuotes-Buster-Skrine-Keeps-It-Low-Key/a051bdc9-f5d7-4ea7-8ed8-48f516e6afa4

Jets rookie defensive end Leonard Williams found his first NFL game to be exhausting.Williams said his biggest issue against the Browns on Sunday was his conditioning.“I don’t feel like I played to my best abilities to be honest,” Williams said. “I think part of it is just conditioning. I feel like in college we did a lot of conditioning. It’s kind of like up to myself now to take care of that on my own like after practice.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Williams likely felt tired because he was too amped up for his debut.“I thought he got winded because I thought emotionally he was too high,” Bowles said. “You come out and you’ve got spit on the side of your mouth and you’re slobbering and you’re in warm-up in pregame. That is typical to happen to a rookie the first time out. They come out hyperventilating.”

Williams said that may have played a role in it, as well as not playing a full game in the preseason.“They had a few long drives,” Williams said. “I just noticed I was getting pretty tired on those drives. I was coming out of my stance slow and kind of raising up and not staying low. It was just from being tired.”

Jets tackle Breno Giacomini made a telling comment about offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s approach that sounded like a criticism of Marty Mornhinweg, Gailey’s predecessor.“I think they’re taking what we’re good at and we keep running it over and over and over,” Giacomini said. “That’s who we are.“We’re not going into a game with a hundred plays. We’ve just got the things we’re going to run each week and that’s who we are.”Giacomini did not really answer when asked if that was a problem last season. But he said the game plan is pared down this year and that helps.“You play fast,” he said. “You kind of get the thinking out of it. You play fast, and that’s what you want. It’s an advantage to us.”

Bowles showed his honesty Monday when asked about Johnny Manziel’s 54-yard touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin. A reporter said it looked like cornerback Antonio Cromartie was looking for safety help on the play.

“He wasn’t expecting any help,” Bowles said.

So he got beat?

“Yeah, he got beat.”

The game balls went to: K Nick Folk, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, CB Marcus Williams, WR Brandon Marshall and RB Chris Ivory. … Bowles said he wants to see how rookie WR Devin Smith (ribs) practices this week before deciding if he can play against the Colts.

Guard Oday Aboushi came off the suspended list after sitting out one game for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. The Jets were granted a one-day roster exemption and must decide Tuesday whether to put him on the 53-man roster or waive him.

>     http://nypost.com/2015/09/14/leonard-williams-realizes-hes-out-of-shape-after-jets-debut/?ref=yfp

• 2 weeks later...

saw this from mel..

~ ~ [1] Marcus Peters, CB, Chiefs

Heading into the draft, I wrote "On tape alone, he has an argument as the top cornerback in the class." Peters looks like it so far. He has an interception in each of his first two games, including a pick-six against Peyton Manning in Week 2. So far, so good.

[2] Marcus Mariota, QB, Titans

The Week 2 loss in Cleveland was a step down from his Week 1 explosion against Tampa Bay, but Mariota has a 6/0 TD/INT ratio so far and has already dispelled any notion the Titans are only starting him because they need to justify the high pick. He belongs.

[3] Mitch Morse, C, Chiefs

I knew the Chiefs were interested in Morse going into the draft, but I can tell you they had him rated a lot higher than I did. This is a case of them seeing a perfect fit, and Morse has looked the part of a veteran through two games.

[4] Jameis Winston, QB, Bucs

Sure, he gets a little bump on positional value, but after a really bad start, Winston has been pretty good in six of eight NFL quarters so far. His play on Sunday in the Superdome was really impressive. He'll have his ups and downs, especially as the Bucs get their O-line worked out, but the talent is there, and more consistent results will follow.

[5] Henry Anderson, DE, Colts

I'll be the first to say I underrated Anderson if he keeps this up. Upside was a big part of the question -- he's already 24 -- but he doesn't need to improve at all to be one of the top rookies at this rate. He'll have the splash plays but should be steady (particularly against the run) in the mean time.

[6] Kwon Alexander, ILB, Bucs

No, he's not Lavonte David, but Alexander fits the profile in some ways as the athletic linebacker who plays lighter than most but makes up for it with instincts and the ability to find the ball. Good start for the fourth-rounder.

[7] Ronald Darby, CB, Bills

The talent far surpasses the draft slot, and Darby could prove to be a steal if he takes care of business off the field. An immediate starter, Darby is clearly a player Rex Ryan feels can be a stud. He's being challenged early.

[8] Vic Beasley Jr., LEO, Falcons

In the final Big Board before the draft I wrote, "If you just set him loose as a pass-rusher, I think the production will be there." So far, so good. Beasley needs to be graded on more than splash plays, but he's going to bring a ton of pressure if you don't get the ball out early.

:wub:  [9] Leonard Williams, DE, Jets

Williams is still more of a run defender than he is a consistent force against the pass. But it's a credit to the guy who was No. 1 on my board that the Jets are playing without Sheldon Richardson and still look capable of dominating up front. He was a steal at No. 6 overall.

[10] Danny Shelton, DT, Browns

Shelton had a great camp and has started strong. You just don't see rookies who can consistently hold their own against double teams, but Shelton is playing like the Browns could have hoped so far.

[11] Hau'oli Kikaha, LB, Saints

Yep, Todd liked him better than I did, and while Kikaha is benefiting from a need to plug him in right away, he's holding his own.

[12] Amari Cooper, WR, Raiders

I know the production is there -- 12 catches through two games after a big game against Baltimore in Week 2 -- but he needs to limit the drops. As I suspected, he's going to be really dangerous after the catch, and the Raiders are going to simply swing the ball over to him when corners are playing off and giving him space.

[13] Ali Marpet, OL, Bucs

The Bucs are relying on him early, and Marpet is holding his own so far. Amazing he was blocking at the Division III level at this time a year ago.

[14] Stephone Anthony, ILB, Saints

Another player who was drafted under the assumption he could step in right away, Anthony has hits and misses but is off to a good start.

[15] Matt Jones, RB, Washington

He gets bonus points for not only having a huge game on Sunday, but for doing so against a great Rams front. Star potential is obvious.

[16] Tyler Lockett, WR/KR/PR, Seahawks

If you included the preseason, Lockett is probably at or near No. 1. He's one of the steals of the draft, and I expect the Seahawks to make him a bigger focus in the passing game. Get him the ball, and big plays will follow.

[17] Brandon Scherff, OG, Washington

He had some great moments on Sunday against the Rams and is likely to stay at guard, which is what we suspected when he was taken at No. 5 overall. The Washington O-line is making strides.

[18] David Andrews, C, Patriots

Undrafted out of Georgia, Andrews looks like a great find for the Patriots so far, already holding down the starting spot.

[19] Ameer Abdullah, RB/KR, Lions

He just needs the touches. Abdullah is capable of big plays if he finds a little space, and Detroit has already seen some of the explosiveness.

[20] Jeremiah Poutasi, OG, Titans

Two weeks, one good performance and one not-so-good performance. Poutasi could be a steal as a third-rounder.

OUTSIDE

David Johnson, RB/KR, Arizona Cardinals

Byron Jones, DB, Dallas Cowboys

Melvin Gordon III, RB, San Diego Chargers

David Parry, NT, Indianapolis Colts

Bud Dupree, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Carl Davis, DT, Baltimore Ravens

Jordan Hicks, ILB, Philadelphia Eagles

Shaq Thompson, OLB, Carolina Panthers

• 2 weeks later...

Jets' Leonard Williams is NFL's best rookie so far in 2015, says Mel Kiper Jr.

After the Jets drafted defensive end Leonard Williams sixth overall this spring, many people raved about the pick (and Williams fortunately falling to the Jets), because Williams was considered perhaps the most talented player in this draft. 

So far, Williams has handled himself quite well.

He started the first four games, in place of Sheldon Richardson (marijuana suspension). Now that Richardson is back from suspension, Williams still figures to have a significant role in the Jets' defense. 

Just how good has Williams been  ? 

Well, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. on Thursday released his top 15 rookies list, for the first four weeks of this season. And Williams topped that list. 

It's still early. But here's why Kiper likes Williams so much  : 

I don't think he's been as good as he will be, but Williams gets bonus points. Remember, this defense has been without arguably the best pure run defender in the league in Sheldon Richardson. Williams has had to step up, and the Jets are allowing 3.8 yards per carry, among the best run defenses in the league. He's played 200 snaps, and they've meant a lot to the Jets, who are off to a 3-1 start.

Kiper put Williams just ahead of Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota

Do you agree with Kiper's ranking of Williams ahead of Mariota? Disagree? Leave your thoughts down there in the comments.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/jets_leonard_williams_is_nfls_best_rookie_so_far_i.html#incart_river

The conversation was brief, a passing moment in practice leading up to the Jets' Oct. 4 game against the Dolphins in London. 

Coach Todd Bowles approached his prodigious rookie defensive end, Leonard Williams, and reminded Williams of a frequent teaching point: He needed to think less, and use his hands more when trying to shed blocks. 

The Jets' coaches liked how Williams used his hands during spring practices. But they saw him lag with this technique early in the regular season, as he played slowly and thought too much about his next move.Williams is a conscientious young man, in addition to being a supremely talented athlete. So Bowles' one-minute conversation before the London trip stuck with Williams. He resolved to use his hands and play with technique, rather than simply trying to overpower offensive linemen. 

The result : Williams enjoyed probably his best game in London, as the Jets beat the Dolphins and improved to 3-1. Williams had a tackle for loss and two quarterback hits. He continued to prove he belongs on the field, even as defensive end Sheldon Richardson is now back from a four-game marijuana suspension."The coaches have been telling me that I've been playing pretty solid so far," Williams said. "I think that last game in London solidified that. I think that was one of my best games so far. Coach Bowles was telling me that I look like I'm playing a lot more comfortable and [doing] less thinking now, and using my hands more and just getting off the ball more. That's what he's been wanting out of me, and I gave it to him in that last game." 

Through four games, Williams has just half a sack. But he also has two tackles for loss and five quarterback hits — all in the past three games, after he sputtered in the opener against the Browns. He has clearly shown his coaches he can play in the NFL."I do think I've shown them that," Williams said. "I think that they know that I'm just going to keep progressing each week, like I have been." 

Williams — who is fine after sustaining a non-serious ankle sprain in London — has played both inside and outside on the defensive line. He's lined up on the edge in the Jets' 3-4 base alignment. In non-base looks, he has lined up inside. That versatility will help as Richardson returns, and Bowles tries to find places for Williams to contribute."He's getting better each and every week," said defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson. "That's what we need him to do. We just need performances like that [London game] each and every week."This is level is different. The league is all about technique. As a d-lineman, [hand placement] is a technique that you need to have down pat. That's why he had one of his best games. I'm sure he showed everybody already that he can play at this level. We need more performances like that." 

Williams' teammates have raved about him since the moment he arrived in Florham Park. Through four games, the praise hasn't waned."He's beyond his time," said rush outside linebacker Quinton Coples. "Some cats, sometimes it takes time [for them] to develop. Sometimes, the scheme may not be built for them. But this is a scheme that allows him to be as explosive as he is. He's going to be great." 

Defensive line coach Pepper Johnson is always hard on his players. He said Williams looked "young at times" during the first four games, and that he was "up and down," but mostly up."I expect a lot more and he expected a lot more from himself," Johnson said. "That's more important than what I expect from him. He has to graduate. He has to try to continue to progress and get better with his awareness. If I didn't think he could do it, then I would be highly upset right now. But I think he can [do it]. Now, [at] what pace?

"All defensive lineman are a lot better when they play with their hands. But he's kind of night and day, and he sees it. He sees that he gets pushed around by some people that shouldn't be pushing him around — and he's making a lot of plays when he's playing with his hands. Now, he just has to do it more often.

Bowles hopes his conversation with Williams before the London trip was a turning point for the rookie."The talk we had, he was thinking too much," Bowles said. "You get to a point as a rookie where you start thinking too much and absorbing too much. I just told him to stop thinking and just go ahead and play and be himself. And we'll work around everything else. He did a good job of that." 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/jets_leonard_williams_sheldon.html#incart_river

Leonard Williams has played in a lot of big games over the years. But in his blossoming NFL career, none will be bigger, so far, than next Sunday's Jets-Patriots showdown in New England. 

Williams, the Jets' rookie defensive end, grew up watching Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on TV. Williams was just 7 years old when Brady won his first Super Bowl, after the 2001 season. Now, Williams gets to try to sack Brady. "I think he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league," Williams told NJ Advance Media on Sunday, after the Jets beat Washington 34-20. "It's going to be great to get my hands on him and mess him up a little bit." 

For the sake of context, Williams spoke in a good-natured tone when he said this. He was smiling. He is clearly excited about the game. He's happy to play in it. So he wasn't necessarily talking trash in a mean-spirited way, or making any bold guarantees about Jets-Patriots. He was simply speaking honestly, about the opportunity to perhaps sack a future Hall of Fame quarterback. And what young pass rusher wouldn't be excited about that   ? 

The Jets are clearly confident, as a team, entering this game. Defensive end Sheldon Richardson said the 4-1 Jets are "licking our chops" to face the 5-0 Patriots. Cornerback Darrelle Revis, a Patriot last year, said "any team can be beat," as he spoke about New England. Richardson returned Sunday from a four-game marijuana suspension. He played extensively, as coach Todd Bowles used a lot of 4-3 alignments that allowed Williams to stay on the field, along with defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson and nose tackle Damon Harrison. That's a pretty formidable defensive line: Williams, Richardson, Wilkerson, and Harrison. 

Williams fared quite well in the first four games, as he started in place of Richardson. How will Williams handle the big stage of his first Jets-Patriots game? Williams, for one, can't wait to find out. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/with_tom_brady_next_jets_leonard_williams_says_he.html#incart_river

Leonard Williams has played in a lot of big games over the years. But in his blossoming NFL career, none will be bigger, so far, than next Sunday's Jets-Patriots showdown in New England. 

Williams, the Jets' rookie defensive end, grew up watching Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on TV. Williams was just 7 years old when Brady won his first Super Bowl, after the 2001 season. Now, Williams gets to try to sack Brady. "I think he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league," Williams told NJ Advance Media on Sunday, after the Jets beat Washington 34-20. "It's going to be great to get my hands on him and mess him up a little bit." 

For the sake of context, Williams spoke in a good-natured tone when he said this. He was smiling. He is clearly excited about the game. He's happy to play in it. So he wasn't necessarily talking trash in a mean-spirited way, or making any bold guarantees about Jets-Patriots. He was simply speaking honestly, about the opportunity to perhaps sack a future Hall of Fame quarterback. And what young pass rusher wouldn't be excited about that   ? 

The Jets are clearly confident, as a team, entering this game. Defensive end Sheldon Richardson said the 4-1 Jets are "licking our chops" to face the 5-0 Patriots. Cornerback Darrelle Revis, a Patriot last year, said "any team can be beat," as he spoke about New England. Richardson returned Sunday from a four-game marijuana suspension. He played extensively, as coach Todd Bowles used a lot of 4-3 alignments that allowed Williams to stay on the field, along with defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson and nose tackle Damon Harrison. That's a pretty formidable defensive line: Williams, Richardson, Wilkerson, and Harrison. 

Williams fared quite well in the first four games, as he started in place of Richardson. How will Williams handle the big stage of his first Jets-Patriots game? Williams, for one, can't wait to find out. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/with_tom_brady_next_jets_leonard_williams_says_he.html#incart_river

Williams didnt make a ton of plays this week.  Was "a little" disappointed watching him in the skins game.  Note I said "a little," before people jump down my throat.  He was a stud at clogging, and did some nice twist stunts here and there, but I did see many instances he couldn't get off his block.  Still a young budding stud with flashes at times, hoping to see more flashes this week versus the Pats.  

re our D dept.  :  

~ ~   Sheldon Richardson beat his man, using that rare combination of power and strength of his, and took down Kirk Cousins. It was his first sack of the year, in his first game, after serving a four-game suspension for marijuana use.Before he got up to celebrate, however, he saw teammate Muhammad Wilkerson on the ground with him. Soon, the two were chest-bumping on their way back to the huddle, enjoying the moment.

“Bittersweet,” Richardson said with a smile after the Jets’ 34-20 victory over Redskins at MetLife Stadium Sunday afternoon. “But I’m glad he got it with me.”

He may have to get used to it. The Jets’ defensive line, arguably the best in the NFL, has no shortage of talent. Adding Richardson, the 2013 NFL Defensive Rookie of the year, to the likes of Wilkerson, rookie Leonard Williams, Damon “Snacks” Harrison and Leger Douzable, is simply the rich getting richer.“When you got the guys we got up front, give us one-on-ones and we’re all probably going to beat you,” Wilkerson said. “We got so many talented guys up front.

“It’s good to have him back. He’s only going to help us moving forward.”

Richardson got the start and appeared in 47 plays, only coming out when the Jets went to their 3-4 package. He had three tackles and split the sack with Wilkerson. The Jets’ defense was stellar against Washington, forcing two turnovers. The run defense held the Redskins to a paltry 34 yards.“I did all right, not like I wanted to,” said Richardson, who reported he felt fine physically. “I got back there a couple of times. I just need to get my pass-rushing endurance back up.”Before the game started, Richardson received a few friendly taps on his helmet from the his defensive linemen, who all told him: “It’s time to eat.”

It wasn’t quite a steak dinner, his performance, but it was rewarding nevertheless after missing four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. Richardson also was charged with resisting arrest and multiple traffic violations for allegedly driving 143 mph in July in Missouri, but the trial is ongoing, and he has yet to be further disciplined by the league.Richardson said it was hard for him watch the team while he was away — he was allowed to attend team meetings, but not practice until this past week — but that was a distant memory Sunday afternoon.

“It was a great feeling,” Richardson said. “[We were] out there a little longer than we wanted to be in the first half, but that all changed for us in the second [half].
“You feel better after a win than a loss, so I feel pretty good.”It was good for Richardson to get the rust off now, with a Sunday afternoon date with the defending Super Bowl champion Patriots on deck, the kind of game he relishes.

“Our confidence is really high,” Richardson said. “We’re not on no high horse, but you’re supposed to have confidence in yourself, and go out and perform.”

>     http://nypost.com/2015/10/19/sheldon-richardson-makes-big-impact-in-return-from-ban/

The Jets didn't play perfectly in Sunday's 30-23 loss at the Patriots. But while falling to 4-2 (and still very much in playoff contention), the Jets did enough positive things to leave them encouraged about their potential. "I definitely think that we showed that we're not just another team that they're going to run over," said Leonard Williams, the Jets' rookie defensive end. "They're going to have to bring it. I think we played good.

"It does sting, because prepared well all week. We played great the whole game. We didn't finish at the end. I know what we have, and I know we're going to continue to go forward. It's just another bump in the road." 

Nonetheless, the Jets are now 1-8 in their past nine games against the Patriots. The Jets are 3-12 in Foxborough since December of 2002.Does Williams think these Jets have the Patriots' attention? Has the gap between the teams narrowed? Wide receiver Brandon Marshall said he believes the gap is now "very small."

"I don't know how it was in the past years, but being around the team now, I think that we played a great game," Williams said. "We give them respect. But I definitely think that we showed them that we're not just another team that they're going to be able to go through." 

One of Williams' defensive line mates, end Muhammad Wilkerson, wasn't as upbeat after Sunday's loss to the Patriots. "There's no such thing as a moral victory," Wilkerson said. 

Veteran outside linebacker Calvin Pace, who has been stung by the Patriots plenty, said he thinks New England respects the Jets. "That doesn't win you championships, though, respect," Pace said. 

Right guard Willie Colon said the Jets "were the better team" on Sunday. But not a perfect team. "In the red zone, we've got to score more," said Colon, referring to the Jets getting just two touchdowns in four red-zone trips. "We just didn't sting them when we had the chance.

"I think it's frustrating for me because I knew we had them. I think Xs and Os-wise, we could've done a little bit better." Colon said he was specifically referring to the Jets being "more heads-up on [the Patriots'] zone blitzing" earlier in the game. 

What does Colon think about the Jets closing the gap with the Patriots    

"I don't know," Colon said. "I'm just tired of being on the other side of it." 

Before Sunday's seven-point loss, the Jets' past four games against the Patriots had been decided by one, two, three, and three points. The Jets won one of those games, by three.There's a lot of season left — plenty of time for the Jets to lock up a playoff spot. After facing Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for the first time Sunday, Williams observed things he thinks could help next time around, in December. 

"I noticed that he gets the ball out really fast, so what would probably help is just getting my hands up on the line," Williams said. "If I don't have enough time to get to him, just probably get my hands up, to get some batted balls." 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/jets_patriots_leonard_williams.html#incart_river

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets have allowed 483 passing yards and six touchdown passes in the last five quarters. Top-5 defense? Gimme a break. "We didn't tackle, we didn't stop anybody, we didn't do anything right," Todd Bowles said Sunday.,He said he wasn't happy with the energy level. Translation: The effort was lacking.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/newyork-jets

The Jets' defensive players looked stunned in the locker room after Sunday's 34-20 loss at the Raiders, a game in which they played miserably — and so much unlike themselves. 

This was — and could still be — one of the NFL's best defenses, a unit capable of making up for the Jets' offensive shortcomings. This remains — now more than ever — a group the Jets need, since quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is out for an undetermined amount of time with torn left thumb ligaments.But the Jets' defense, particularly their linebackers and secondary, flopped Sunday against the Raiders and their second-year quarterback, Derek Carr. He completed 23 of 36 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. The Raiders gained 451 yards — 98 more than the Jets had allowed in any previous game this season. 

"We didn't make any plays," said Jets head coach Todd Bowles. 

It'll be an ugly Monday at One Jets Drive, as the defense reviews film from this game, in which the Raiders scored more points against them than anybody has in 2015. Worse still for the Jets were their missed tackles Sunday. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie estimated the Jets had 20. He was only slightly exaggerating. "That's one thing we take pride in, making tackles," said slot cornerback Buster Skrine, who left Sunday's game after aggravating his sprained right shoulder. "Today was an off day for our secondary. We don't plan on having many games like this, or any more games like this." Said Cromartie: "No matter what's going on with the offense, we as a defense have got to carry this team as much as possible." 

How bad was it for the Jets' defense Sunday? 

This bad: The Raiders scored touchdowns on their first three drives, and four of their first five, to take a 28-6 lead with 11:06 left in the third quarter. Those drives covered 78, 76, 78, and 93 yards. All ended in Carr touchdown passes. 

How sloppy were the Jets' basic defensive fundamentals in Oakland? 

This sloppy: On Carr's second touchdown pass, a 36-yarder to wide receiver Michael Crabtree, Cromartie, weak-side linebacker Demario Davis, and cornerback Marcus Williams whiffed on tackle attempts. Carr's fourth touchdown pass, a 59-yarder to running back Taiwan Jones, was an even longer catch and run than Crabtree's. Jones made Williams, Davis, and free safety Marcus Gilchrist miss. In between, for Carr's third score, receiver Andre Holmes burned Cromartie for a 49-yard deep ball touchdown catch — a lowlight of Cromartie's awful Sunday. Across the locker room after the game, the Jets bemoaned those missed tackles. From making contact with the ball carrier but not wrapping up, to taking incorrect angles, the Jets did pretty much everything wrong Sunday. 

"Little things like that cause you to lose games, as you can see," said defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson. "We came out with no energy. We came out flat. They gashed us." 

Said middle linebacker David Harris: "That's not us. They had way too many yards after the catch."The Jets' defensive energy was clearing lacking, along with their fundamentals. Rookie end Leonard Williams said they "just didn't play as hard as we could've." Bowles, the defense's architect, vowed to fix the mistakes. "We didn't tackle," he said. "We didn't stop anybody. We didn't do anything right. I have issues with the energy. I think the effort was there. I didn't think we played with a whole bunch of energy. I can't account for [the missed tackles], but we're going to work at it this week. It's surprising a little bit, but I've got confidence in these guys, and we'll correct it." 

Cornerback Darrelle Revis expects a consistent message this week as the 4-3 Jets try to avoid losing three straight games, next Sunday at home against the Jaguars. We've just got to wrap up and tackle better," he said. "Coach has been on us about that previously. Now it's something that we really have to harp on even more." 

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/jets_defense_raiders.html#incart_river

Linebacker David Harris is a man of few words, which made his day-after assessment of the New York Jets' defensive debacle in Oakland an attention grabber.

Speaking to reporters on a conference call, Harris said it was "disgusting" to watch the tape of the 34-20 loss. The Jets were guilty of 19 missed tackles, according to Pro Football Focus -- an almost comical amount of blunders. Harris didn't hold back, questioning the effort of the defense.

"The effort was poor all across the board," he said. "We had way too many guys not hustling on every play. It hurt us."Whoa, that's a rather stinging indictment. Asked to pinpoint a reason, Harris said, "I have no idea. We came out flat on the first play and it continued throughout."

Concerned? You bet.

"It alarms everybody," Harris said. "We know we're not that defense. I believe we'll get it corrected this week in practice and I think we'll come out with a new focus this week. Watching the film, it was disgusting to look at. Everybody in that room had the same feeling. I can promise you, it won't happen again."Nobody expected it to happen," he added. "Surprised. Shocked. Worried. Any way you view it, it wasn't our best effort, let's put it that way."

Good for Harris. He's one of the most respected players on the team, but he usually keeps his opinions to himself. It's good to hear him speak out; it's what leaders do. He said he can't recall the defense missing that many tackles in a game. He's confident they will rebound based on the talent and pride in the room.

"Just trust me," he vowed, "it ain't gonna happen again."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55679/david-harris-questions-effort-in-disgusting-performance-by-jets-d

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

There have been some troubling comments coming from the Jets' defensive players since their poor performance in Oakland. LB David Harris said there was a lack of hustle, and DE Muhammad Wilkerson followed that up Tuesday in a radio interview. "Guys were loafing," he said. "Seeing guys loaf and miss tackles, that's not this defense." Stinging words, to be sure.

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/newyork-jets

–- Todd Bowles wouldn’t reveal exactly how many tackles the New York Jets missed on Sunday in Oakland. The disappointed Jets coach would only say the number of missed “normal tackles” was “in the 20s.”

“We had some loafs on defense for the first time this year,” Bowles said when asked if he saw any loafing on defense. “They were minor loafs but they were still loafs nonetheless and we have to have everybody to the ball.”

“It’s unacceptable,” Bowles later added. “We weren’t good enough... It is one game, it’s the first time we fell apart like that. We have to come back together and it can’t happen again.”Without a doubt, tackling and getting back to fundamentals and technique was emphasized during Wednesday’s practice. The Jets (4-3) cannot afford to drop a third straight game when they play Jacksonville (2-5) on Sunday at home.

Cornerback Darrelle Revis said the Jets got Bowles’ stern message after their 34-20 loss in Oakland.“He said a lot of words,” Revis said when asked about Bowles calling the tackling performance unacceptable. “But that one stands out.”

“We felt that we were the better team and they surprised us,” Revis later added about Oakland. “What bothered me the most is we didn’t play Jet football. We didn’t play Jet defense like we usually do. Usually guys are flying around making a bunch of plays being where they need to be. And guys really just weren’t doing their jobs.”Failing to sack Derek Carr, the Jets allowed the Raiders quarterback to pass for 333 yards and four touchdowns. Latavius Murray rushed for 113 yards and Raiders receivers had long gains of 36, 49 and 59 yards.

Now the Jets’ defense faces Blake Bortles and the two Allens -- Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. Both receivers have combined for 11 touchdowns and each has more than 30 receptions and 500 yards receiving this season.Jacksonville also has a young talent at running back in T.J. Yeldon, who is coming off a 115-yard and one-touchdown rushing performance against Buffalo.

Robinson, Hurns and Yeldon can make the Jets’ defense pay if there is more sloppy tackling.Bowles spent a good portion of his Wednesday press conference with reporters answering questions about loafing and poor tackling.“We don’t normally loaf,” Bowles said. “It wasn’t loafing like a big deal. It’s taking two steps, one here or another. I think we are splitting hairs here. We’re not saying people were just dogging it all the way to the ball here.”

Still, Revis and the defense are eager to make amends for Sunday’s poor effort.

“You can call it whatever you want to call it,” Revis said. “There’s a million words (to describe Sunday). It can be disgusting, unacceptable, I can sit here and say there’s a bad taste in my mouth as a team, yeah, it’s all those words. We didn’t play Jets football.”

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55755/todd-bowles-jets-shoddy-tackling-is-unacceptible

The Jets' defense had a horrible game in last Sunday's 34-20 loss at the Raiders. Calvin Pace fully understands that. But the veteran outside linebacker refuses to panic over one game."It was a bad game, man," Pace told NJ Advance Media on Thursday. "It happens. It's nothing to blow everything up about. But it's not something you want to repeat again. Sometimes, I think as a pro athlete, it's just tough to give somebody else credit. They outplayed us. Everything they did was better than what we did. Moving forward, you just can't do it again, learn from your mistakes." 

The Jets missed north of 20 tackles in the game. Coach Todd Bowles said they had some minor problems with loafing on defense. Two prominent veterans, middle linebacker David Harris and defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, criticized the defense's effort in Oakland. 

Did the effort bother Pace, as well? 

"Man, things happen," he said. "I think sometimes, we as players need to think before we talk. We don't need to share everything with everybody. That being said, yeah, it could've been better."But I just think that sometimes, you've just got to be quiet, because if your effort isn't 100 percent on every play, man, it's just tough. We don't want to point fingers and all that stuff. That being said, we all know what our standards are, and they weren't met on anything — turnovers, red zone. None of that was met." 

Before the Oakland mess, the Jets had been a dominant defense. And they very well could resume that dominance, starting Sunday at home against the Jaguars. The Jets still rank fifth in Football Outsiders' defensive DVOA.It seems the Jets' defense is too talented to have many repeat performances of Sunday's struggles at the Raiders, presuming injuries don't ravage the unit. But Pace dismissed the notion that talent alone can carry this defense. 

"All that talent stuff, that's out the window," he said. "[Shoot], everybody has talent in the league, man. It's just: How are you using that talent? How are you maximizing that talent?" Pace, who just turned 35, is in his 13th NFL season, and eighth with the Jets. Through seven games, he is rated 37th of 48 3-4 outside linebackers by Pro Football Focus, including 44th as a pass rusher. He's ninth in pass coverage and 34th against the run. These PFF ratings aren't gospel, but there you have it. 

How would Pace assess his season so far? 

"I'll just pass on that question, man," he said. 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/calvin_pace_jets.html#incart_river

Championship defenses don’t loaf, kind of loaf or nap after kickoff.

The scariest part of the Jets’ self-described “disgusting” performance in the Black Hole last weekend?

It’s unclear whether the shaky defensive play was an aberration or a sneak peek of the second half of the season.

Todd Bowles’ matter-of-fact disposition can’t erase this recent smorgasbord of slop. The poor energy in the loss to the Raiders was inexcusable. If Bowles is who we think he is, then that shouldn’t be an issue anymore. There’s been a heightened intensity at practice this week, according to players.“We’ve been practicing with a chip on our shoulder,” Bowles said Thursday. “It was a setback last week … It didn’t shake the confidence any.”

Despite the front office’s free-agent splurge this offseason, there are legitimate personnel concerns on defense. There were plenty of culprits in last week’s defensive meltdown, but a few guys simply haven’t played well enough entering Sunday’s game against the Jaguars.Antonio Cromartie has had his fair share of challenges even if defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers insisted that “in our heart of hearts we don’t believe he’s struggling.”

The numbers aren’t pretty for the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback. The 31-year-old Cromartie has allowed five touchdowns and missed five tackles, including three last week, in seven games. Opposing quarterbacks have a 132.5 passer rating when throwing into his coverage, according to Pro Football Focus.Cromartie has accepted responsibility for his subpar play, but he was expected to be an anchor opposite of Darrelle Revis, who is no longer Superman, but still a quality No. 1 cornerback. Nickel corner Buster Skrine, an invaluable piece to Bowles’ scheme, has been playing through shoulder and finger injuries in recent weeks. Marcus Williams, who has been used at cornerback and safety, missed at least six tackles against the Raiders.

Bowles’ issues, however, extend beyond the rebuilt secondary. Linebacker Demario Davis has consistently been beaten in coverage by running backs. Although Rodgers maintained that “we’re not sweating” Davis’ ability to cover, your eyes tell you a different story.Davis, who missed at least four tackles against the Raiders, has struggled in coverage against running backs and tight ends for the better part of his four-year career. He got bailed out a few times this season by errant throws or drops after clearly getting beat. There’s no denying that the Jets need to improve in that area.

The Jets defensive line, loaded with young talent, didn’t even sniff Derek Carr last week. Bowles explained away the lack of heat on the passer by pointing to a Raiders scheme that called for quick passes. Sheldon Richardson, the team’s best defensive lineman, didn’t have a quarterback pressure in 33 pass-rushing snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. (Mo Wilkerson leads all 3-4 defensive ends in missed tackles this season, according to PFF).

Raiders’ running back Taiwan Jones’ 59-yard catch and run for a touchdown on the opening drive of the second half was a microcosm of the Jets’ recent issues. Davis, responsible for covering Jones, missed a tackle in the flat, Williams missed a tackle, Marcus Gilchrist whiffed after getting juked and Richardson missed on his last-ditch effort. Four strikes and you’re out.“That probably will be our worst performance of the year,” Skrine said. “We never want to re-live that. ... The way we played wasn’t us. So, we just want to get back to doing what we do … and be the No. 1 defense in the league.”

Strip away all the entertaining bakery imagery (loafs, minor loafs) and headline-grabbers (disgusting, sleeping) and the Jets could be left with a real problem.

Are they the elite defense that we presumed after the offseason overhaul … or just decent?

It’s easy to overreact after two sub-par performances against the Patriots and Raiders — the Jets still rank third in total defense — but it’s fair to wonder what to expect in the final nine weeks. Playoff defenses don’t log eight consecutive quarters of this type of play.Bowles defense ranked in the top five in nearly every meaningful statistical category before the issues surfaced two weeks ago. The Jets tumbled to 12th in scoring defense after giving up 64 points to the Patriots and Raiders.They’ve given up 784 total yards, including 688 through the air, and six touchdown passes the past two weeks. Bowles’ defense has allowed 6.2 yards per play in the pair of losses. An opportunistic team that racked up 10 takeaways in the first two games has forced only five in the past five games, including none against New England and Oakland.

Do the Jets have a special defense or an overhyped one?

The status quo isn’t good enough. Changes aren’t optional.

>        http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-real-jets-defense-stand-article-1.2425487

Did the effort bother Pace, as well? 

"Man, things happen," he said. "I think sometimes, we as players need to think before we talk. We don't need to share everything with everybody. That being said, yeah, it could've been better."But I just think that sometimes, you've just got to be quiet, because if your effort isn't 100 percent on every play, man, it's just tough. We don't want to point fingers and all that stuff. That being said, we all know what our standards are, and they weren't met on anything — turnovers, red zone. None of that was met." 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/calvin_pace_jets.html#incart_river

Gee, I wonder why people like having this guy around.

Revis & Williams make jet-set Defense

Only three teams allow fewer yards per game than New York and only seven allow fewer points. Although a borderline top-five defense, the Jets have shown improvement with the addition of Darrelle Revis and Leonard Williams. NFL's most improved defenses (Insider)

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/newyork-jets

The Jets are nine games into their season, and they're 5-4, so they're not out of the playoff hunt. But they need to close strong in their final two November games, to set themselves up for a December push.

The same is true of Leonard Williams, the Jets' rookie defensive end, whom they drafted sixth overall. He enjoyed a strong start to this season.

But has Williams hit the so-called rookie wall lately ?

His playing time has declined a bit in recent games. That's partly due to the return of end Sheldon Richardson, who was suspended (marijuana) by the NFL for the season's first four games. Williams started in his place during those games.After Thursday's 22-17 loss to the Bills, Williams offered some thoughts on his altered playing time, and how he can finish well in his rookie year."It has been situational package stuff," Williams told NJ Advance Media, explaining why he's not playing as much. "But I think it's also that there's a few more things I have to work on, in the pass rushing aspect. I've been doing pretty good in the run game, which is why I'm out there still on first and second down. On third-down packages, I've just got to pick it up on the pass rush."

He's been trying to fine tune a few techniques with defensive line coach Pepper Johnson.

"One thing me and my coach have been working on is just staying on the edge [while pass rushing]," said Williams, who starred at USC. "Too many times, I go down the middle of a guy [an offensive lineman], because I'm used to, in college, relying on my athletic ability and strength, and I'm able to just go down the middle of a guy. But now, they're a lot stronger, so I have to just stay on the edge."Johnson and Jets coach Todd Bowles harped on Williams earlier this season about using his hands and technique more in pass rushing. This is simply part of the rookie adjustment for Williams, who has all the tools to be an excellent NFL player.

He entered Thursday's game with just one sack this season, though he did have a team-high 22 quarterback hurries. Williams had zero sacks against the Bills. But as he mentioned, his playing time is limited in third-down passing situations. If he improves his pass rushing technique, he could see more action in those spots.

Here's a look at Williams' game-by-game playing time breakdown this year  :

*Browns: 47 snaps (70 percent)

*Colts: 48 (75)

*Eagles: 64 (91)

*Dolphins: 54 (84)

Washington: 57 (90)

Patriots: 47 (70)

Raiders: 42 (68)

Jaguars: 39 (59)

Bills: 58 (89)

*Started in place of Richardson

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/has_jets_leonard_williams_hit_rookie_wall.html#incart_river_index

Archived