Did Jets find the ‘sack fiend’ Vernon Gholston never was ? ? ?

kelly

When you practice sluggishly under Todd Bowles, you will run after practice. All of you.

“You can’t practice average if you want to be great,” Bowles said.

The message has not been lost on rookie outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin.The Jets’ self-proclaimed “sack fiend,” who is showing early signs he will have a chance to develop into the pass rusher Rex Ryan never had, the pass rusher Vernon Gholston was supposed to be.Mauldin took some first-team snaps Monday as grizzled Calvin Pace was afforded rest, and he was hard to miss flying around the edge.

Sack fiend.

“It’s just the adrenaline rush, you feel like you work so hard to get there and once you actually get there, it’s like a bunch of hard work that’s actually getting put to an end, a bunch of labor work that’s getting out to an end,” Mauldin said. “It’s like … people say with tattoos, you get your first tattoo, it starts to get into you and you start to like the feeling and it’s just over and over and over again, you want more, you want more, you want more.”So it becomes like a feeding frenzy?“Yeah, yeah. So it’s like you become a sack fiend, I guess you can say.”

So you’re a sack fiend.

“I’m a sack fiend,” Mauldin said, and laughed. “I’m high off sacks.”The third-round draft pick registered 6.5 sacks and 13 tackles for losses in 12 games at Louisville when he was slowed by a midseason hamstring issue. He is a 6-foot-4, 251-pound hybrid who believes he can become an elite pass rusher.“I believe so, with a lot of good coaching,” Mauldin said, “being coached the right thing to do and being able to go out and express it on the field, then I’d be a great pass rusher.”

What makes a great pass rusher ?

“Someone who pretty much does not get blocked, someone that doesn’t get touched, they play fundamental football, basically uses a lot of great technique,” Mauldin said. “Someone that knows the game, actually, Knows who they’re going against, studies the player that they’re going up against and applying it on the field.”He is asked which quarterbacks he is looking forward to sacking.“All of ’em,” Mauldin said. “I’m not gonna say a certain one because if I say a certain one, that means one game I’m not gonna want to sack a quarterback and another game I might want to, but I want to sack all of ’em. I mean, that’s my goal to sack all of ’em, it’s not one certain quarterback that I want to sack.”They used to call him Lozo at Louisville. Chill off the field, he is Lo. Tenacious and bloodthirsty on the field, he is Zo. If he compared Zo to an animal, what would Zo be ?  “I’d probably say a wolf,” Mauldin said.  Because ?  “Because a wolf by himself can’t do it alone, but with a pack he can,” Mauldin said.What kind of player will Jets fans be getting ? “A relentless player, a guy that’s pretty much gonna give his all, 110 percent every play, and basically just be that guy that’ll come up when big plays need to be made,” Mauldin said. “I’m a very physical player. Very fast when it comes to my position. I consider myself explosive as well.”

Bowles likes what he’s seen.“The guy’s hungry, he has a high motor,” Bowles said. “While he’s learning what to do and learning plays, he’s getting better, and that’s the thing you want out of your rookies.”No. 55 has caught Nick Mangold’s eye.“He’s got good speed, good burst,” Mangold said.Mauldin can play up or down on the line and has no preference. He likes watching J.J. Watt — who doesn’t? — and Elvis Dumervil. Mauldin is asked if he wants to be feared. “Who doesn’t? I mean, it’s football, it’s an intimidation game,” he said. “Like you want to be feared. Nobody wants to … you want to be respected, I won’t say feared, I want to be respected, how ’bout that?”“In two-point stance I get to see everything, and I get to read the offense before they do what they do, but then, coming out of a three-point stance, you feel like you have more burst, more speed, coming off the edge, so it’s 50-50,” he said.He is excited about playing in his first preseason game Thursday night in Detroit.“I finally get to play in the NFL,” he said. “It’s been my lifelong dream, and to actually just run out of a tunnel with an NFL team and be able to go out there and just show what I have whether it’s on special teams or whether it’s on a play, I just want to be out there and just see what the atmosphere is like.”

He hasn’t set any personal goals.“I’m not gonna put a number out there because again, I’m learning, I’m learning with guys that have been doing it for a long time so … I’m gonna go against some good tackles, I’m gonna go against some good quarterbacks, so I’m not gonna make goals for my first year, I’m just gonna go out and play, do what I have to do,” Mauldin said.You’re going to make an impact this season ?

“I plan to,” Mauldin said.

>     http://nypost.com/2015/08/10/did-jets-find-the-sack-fiend-vernon-gholston-never-was/

Mauldin and IK on the edges. Coples, Wilk, Williams and Snacks on the line. Davis and Harris in the Middle. Revis, Cro, Skrine and McDougle as the CB's Ghilchrist playing center field with Pryor roaming the box. 

That's just nasty. 

I totally agree.  It may take a few games for them the gell, but by mid-season NOBODY is going to want to play the Jets, NOBODY.   If we get Richardson back by week 8 or 10.....  damn. 

Mauldin and IK on the edges. Coples, Wilk, Williams and Snacks on the line. Davis and Harris in the Middle. Revis, Cro, Skrine and McDougle as the CB's Ghilchrist playing center field with Pryor roaming the box. 

That's just nasty. 

agreed !.. our " D " dept.  should be pretty good    :character0181:   ..

...i'm not so sure about our  " O " dept.  

:confused0082:

When you practice sluggishly under Todd Bowles, you will run after practice. All of you.

“You can’t practice average if you want to be great,” Bowles said.

The message has not been lost on rookie outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin.The Jets’ self-proclaimed “sack fiend,” who is showing early signs he will have a chance to develop into the pass rusher Rex Ryan never had, the pass rusher Vernon Gholston was supposed to be.Mauldin took some first-team snaps Monday as grizzled Calvin Pace was afforded rest, and he was hard to miss flying around the edge.

Sack fiend.

“It’s just the adrenaline rush, you feel like you work so hard to get there and once you actually get there, it’s like a bunch of hard work that’s actually getting put to an end, a bunch of labor work that’s getting out to an end,” Mauldin said. “It’s like … people say with tattoos, you get your first tattoo, it starts to get into you and you start to like the feeling and it’s just over and over and over again, you want more, you want more, you want more.”So it becomes like a feeding frenzy?“Yeah, yeah. So it’s like you become a sack fiend, I guess you can say.”

So you’re a sack fiend.

“I’m a sack fiend,” Mauldin said, and laughed. “I’m high off sacks.”The third-round draft pick registered 6.5 sacks and 13 tackles for losses in 12 games at Louisville when he was slowed by a midseason hamstring issue. He is a 6-foot-4, 251-pound hybrid who believes he can become an elite pass rusher.“I believe so, with a lot of good coaching,” Mauldin said, “being coached the right thing to do and being able to go out and express it on the field, then I’d be a great pass rusher.”

What makes a great pass rusher ?

“Someone who pretty much does not get blocked, someone that doesn’t get touched, they play fundamental football, basically uses a lot of great technique,” Mauldin said. “Someone that knows the game, actually, Knows who they’re going against, studies the player that they’re going up against and applying it on the field.”He is asked which quarterbacks he is looking forward to sacking.“All of ’em,” Mauldin said. “I’m not gonna say a certain one because if I say a certain one, that means one game I’m not gonna want to sack a quarterback and another game I might want to, but I want to sack all of ’em. I mean, that’s my goal to sack all of ’em, it’s not one certain quarterback that I want to sack.”They used to call him Lozo at Louisville. Chill off the field, he is Lo. Tenacious and bloodthirsty on the field, he is Zo. If he compared Zo to an animal, what would Zo be ?  “I’d probably say a wolf,” Mauldin said.  Because ?  “Because a wolf by himself can’t do it alone, but with a pack he can,” Mauldin said.

What kind of player will Jets fans be getting ? “A relentless player, a guy that’s pretty much gonna give his all, 110 percent every play, and basically just be that guy that’ll come up when big plays need to be made,” Mauldin said. “I’m a very physical player. Very fast when it comes to my position. I consider myself explosive as well.”

Bowles likes what he’s seen.“The guy’s hungry, he has a high motor,” Bowles said. “While he’s learning what to do and learning plays, he’s getting better, and that’s the thing you want out of your rookies.”No. 55 has caught Nick Mangold’s eye.“He’s got good speed, good burst,” Mangold said.Mauldin can play up or down on the line and has no preference. He likes watching J.J. Watt — who doesn’t? — and Elvis Dumervil. Mauldin is asked if he wants to be feared. “Who doesn’t? I mean, it’s football, it’s an intimidation game,” he said. “Like you want to be feared. Nobody wants to … you want to be respected, I won’t say feared, I want to be respected, how ’bout that?”“In two-point stance I get to see everything, and I get to read the offense before they do what they do, but then, coming out of a three-point stance, you feel like you have more burst, more speed, coming off the edge, so it’s 50-50,” he said.He is excited about playing in his first preseason game Thursday night in Detroit.“I finally get to play in the NFL,” he said. “It’s been my lifelong dream, and to actually just run out of a tunnel with an NFL team and be able to go out there and just show what I have whether it’s on special teams or whether it’s on a play, I just want to be out there and just see what the atmosphere is like.”

He hasn’t set any personal goals.“I’m not gonna put a number out there because again, I’m learning, I’m learning with guys that have been doing it for a long time so … I’m gonna go against some good tackles, I’m gonna go against some good quarterbacks, so I’m not gonna make goals for my first year, I’m just gonna go out and play, do what I have to do,” Mauldin said.

You’re going to make an impact this season ?

“I plan to,” Mauldin said.

>     http://nypost.com/2015/08/10/did-jets-find-the-sack-fiend-vernon-gholston-never-was/

Wow, if this doesn't get you excited I don't know what will.

daryl-richardson-lorenzo-mauldin-nfl-new

Our "O" will be better than you think.  Unlike under Rex, Bowles and Gailey plan to ATTACK the defense, especially deep.  The key is limiting turnovers; we have chain movers both in the back field and in our receiving corp and have the best red zone threat we have had in years if not forever, in Brandon Marshall.  Whether it is Geno or Fitz, we the personnel to consistently move the chains and also several speedsters that can stretch the field. 

That's just nasty. 

If we can get them all on the field at once nobody will score!

That's just nasty. 

Has Coples been practicing on the DL at all, or is this just hoping and dreaming?

You're right...nobody get excited. Lets just sit calmly and talk about something else until September.

Agreed. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'll start a new conversation...

The X-Files are coming back! Who's excited? I'm excited! I love Fox Mulder. Easily one of my favorite characters!

Mulder...

Maulder...

Muldin's gonna be a mauler...

We're gonna kick ass this season...

Wait... DAMMIT!

Well atleast we know that if they dont play up to the standards of our coach they will be doing alot of running as well as losing their jobs. With that said, im confident Bowles will find players who will get it done for as long as he sticks to that plan. 

If we can get them all on the field at once nobody will score!

YEAH! I agree with that one! Im glad that both IK and Mauldin are flashing the way that they are. I seriously want Coples back on the line. When Sheldon gets back on the field (whenever that is) we'll be even more potent up front at that. 

This defense is just scary. 

–- Lorenzo Mauldin physically is much bigger than Ralph Macchio.But the 6-4, 259-pound New York Jets' linebacker feels a bit like Macchio's "The Karate Kid" character in his first training camp. The rookie knows his place in the pecking order on the Jets' defense. So instead of looking at his relationship with Calvin Pace as a competitive one, Mauldin sees the starter as a mentor like Mr. Miyagi."It is not competitive because I am a pup still," Mauldin said. "I am still learning. It is like (Pace is the) sensei and (I am) Daniel-san. Just basically taking all that information from him and hopefully later on down the line when his career is over, I can just take his place."

During the spring workouts, Mauldin might've felt like he was trying to beat the "Cobra Kai" all by himself. But now he feels like he's moving faster than he did in the spring and that could be trouble for opposing offensive lines in the future.The Jets' rookie could be seen on Tuesday in practice relentlessly rushing the quarterback from his outside linebacker position with a vigor that has caught head coach Todd Bowles' attention.Part of that has to do with the fact that the rookie is learning the defensive playbook. The third-round pick out of Louisville is also figuring out his role a bit more.

Bowles has liked the energy he has seen from the second-team linebacker. But Mauldin has plenty of room for improvement."He's got a high motor," Bowles said. "You like the kid's motor and he's got some good pass-rush moves. But he has to learn the overall game. He is pretty young that way."The linebacker had his share of learning moments in his preseason debut when he missed on a sure sack on one play before later drawing a roughing the passer penalty on another in the first half against Detroit."Made a couple of mistakes but that was my first game so I had to get the jitters out," Mauldin said. "I look forward to the next game against the Falcons and doing better than I did that last game."

Mauldin knows his role can grow the more he learns the playbook and the more he learns from Pace."If I know what I am doing, I play a lot more," Mauldin added of his knowledge of the Jets' scheme. "But if I don't, I will be a situational pass-rusher, so I've heard. Just being able to understand what I am doing when I go out there, that will determine my playing time."

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53180/lorenzo-mauldin-channels-his-inner-karate-kid

Archived