Dexter McDougle ~ ~ ~

kelly

As I recall the reason they reached and selected him was because he had leadership abilities and character in addition to being a good DB in college. In other words they thought he was the kind of guy who could handle the NFL on the field and off. You can't blame a guy for injuries just hope that he can overcome them. If he does we could have a good player. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I thought the pick was a reach as well. I had to go scurrying around to find any info on him.  He did seem like a very good player before he got hurt in college.  One theme for the Jets is having 1st and 2nd year guys get hurt.  When you are new to the league, don;t get into trouble with the law and don't get hurt.

I remember reading camp reports in his first year that said this guy looked like a special player and really stood out when he was on the field.

Seemed to take a major step back from those early reports last year, maybe the injury is to blame, still have hopes for him.

5 minutes ago, Cosimojet said:

I remember reading camp reports in his first year that said this guy looked like a special player and really stood out when he was on the field.

Seemed to take a major step back from those early reports last year, maybe the injury is to blame, still have hopes for him.

tumblr_nenyv7JLNW1qbuqcio1_500.gif

Look the bottom line is you have to give any draft at least 3 years. You can't go off the deep end if a guy gets injured. A million guys have short careers due to that. And in evaluating a draft if you're at all rationale (now think about that a minute) you aren't going to kill your FO for missing good players. Because what comes around goes around. Guys we picked in later rounds or even UFAs other teams passed on. Not sure about McDougle but an example of this is Quincy who could end up being better than a lot of those guys selected before him. But if you want to complain it's a free universe.?

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It would be nice if the guys selected before Enunwa that he ended up being better than weren't Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans.

Well we did select Calvin Pryor. And a tight end who could have a future. You're complaining about 4th rounders. I'll take one really good receiver in the 6th round and a receiving tight end. You can't kick it on every player. And other teams make good picks and bad ones, too. I think drafting 3 receivers and having one turn out pretty good and become a starter in his second year isn't bad. Look Mac drafted Devon Smith in the 2nd round and right now it's not a good pick. At this moment Quincy is the better player. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Well we did select Calvin Pryor. And a tight end who could have a future. You're complaining about 4th rounders. I'll take one really good receiver in the 6th round and a receiving tight end. You can't kick it on every player. And other teams make good picks and bad ones, too. I think drafting 3 receivers and having one turn out pretty good and become a starter in his second year isn't bad. 

Pretty good?  He had 22 catches, 0 TDs and an abysmal catch rate.  It was a historically good WR draft and we got nothing.  The TE that could have a future didn't play with a phantom injury and seems to be in the doghouse.  You can't say that isn't bad.  The 2014 draft was the definition of bad.  Unless you prefer a stronger term.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pretty good?  He had 22 catches, 0 TDs and an abysmal catch rate.  It was a historically good WR draft and we got nothing.  The TE that could have a future didn't play with a phantom injury and seems to be in the doghouse.  You can't say that isn't bad.  The 2014 draft was the definition of bad.  Unless you prefer a stronger term.

What phantom injury. The guy was injured! Q is a good player. He's better than Devon Smith. If you're going to give someone grief why not Mac. Look, we had extra picks in 2014 and there was no way all of these guys were making the team. They took a chance and missed on a few guys but so did every team. Like teams that passed on Sheldon Richardson.

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

As I recall the reason they reached and selected him was because he had leadership abilities and character in addition to being a good DB in college. In other words they thought he was the kind of guy who could handle the NFL on the field and off. You can't blame a guy for injuries just hope that he can overcome them. If he does we could have a good player. 

Based on what, exactly?

The Jets don't even think this guy can play on the outside.

Just now, detectivekimble said:

Based on what, exactly?

The Jets don't even think this guy can play on the outside.

So far it doesn't look like a good pick. But the guy is still on the team. And again you can't blame a guy if he's injured. Even though Bill Parcells used to (blame players for bring injured). And of course our fans want immediate results.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

So far it doesn't look like a good pick. But the guy is still on the team. And again you can't blame a guy if he's injured. Even though Bill Parcells used to (blame players for bring injured). And of course our fans want immediate results.

If you ask me, it seems like Mac took a good look at some of these guys when he was a scout and doesn't think much of them.  It's pretty clear that they aren't crazy about guys like McDougle and Amaro.

Just now, detectivekimble said:

If you ask me, it seems like Mac took a good look at some of these guys when he was a scout and doesn't think much of them.  It's pretty clear that they aren't crazy about guys like McDougle and Amaro.

Look the OC is not necessarily going to use a receiving tight end in his offense. It will be very interesting to see if Amaro has a role on this team or even a job. He used Q as a kind of a hybrid Wr-Te and a guy who can block. It was kind of hard to follow Gailey at times when in important situations he'd sometimes throw to unproven receivers like Devon Smith and Thompkins and almost never threw to Cumberland (even though he was on the field) and rarely used Kerley. Maybe it wasn't a philosophical issue with him and he was just adjusting to the talent. Didn't he use Chandler a lot in Buffalo when Gailey was HC there.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the OC is not necessarily going to use a receiving tight end in his offense. It will be very interesting to see if Amaro has a role on this team or even a job. He used Q as a kind of a hybrid Wr-Te and a guy who can block. It was kind of hard to follow Gailey at times when in important situations he'd sometimes throw to unproven receivers like Devon Smith and Thompkins and almost never threw to Cumberland (even though he was on the field) and rarely used Kerley. Maybe it wasn't a philosophical issue with him and he was just adjusting to the talent. Didn't he use Chandler a lot in Buffalo when Gailey was HC there.

We didn't use a TE because we didn't have one...Cumberland is hot garbage good riddance....Gailey used Scott Chandler when he coached Buffalo 

33 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

We didn't use a TE because we didn't have one...Cumberland is hot garbage good riddance....Gailey used Scott Chandler when he coached Buffalo 

Look first of all Cumberland started almost every game, he had a non receiving role and if he were garbage they wouldn't have started him. He was one of the starting 11 on the field. And in previous seasons he was an average tight end in terms of receiving. I've seen him make good receptions and he can run with the ball after a catch. I was sorry to see him go but they wanted his cap space and have a few other low rent TEs like Sudfeld they think could do the job and cheaper. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Look first of all Cumberland started almost every game, he had a non receiving role and if he were garbage they wouldn't have started him. He was of the 11 on the field. And in previous seasons he was an average tight end in terms of receiving. I've seen him make good receptions and he can run with the ball after a catch. I was sorry to see him go but they wanted his cap space and have a few other low rent TEs like Sudfeld they think could do the job and cheaper. 

Who exactly was going to lineup at TE? Amaro and Sudfeld were hurt, and yes he made a few catches here and there over the years but truth is he wasn't the same speed wise after he tore his Achilles a few years back. The fact that he got zero looks in the passing game tells you all you need to know about how Gailey felt about Cumberland. You can't say "Gailey just doesn't use TE's" when he's utilized them to some degree at every other stop but NYJ. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Look first of all Cumberland started almost every game, he had a non receiving role and if he were garbage they wouldn't have started him. He was of the 11 on the field. And in previous seasons he was an average tight end in terms of receiving. I've seen him make good receptions and he can run with the ball after a catch. I was sorry to see him go but they wanted his cap space and have a few other low rent TEs like Sudfeld they think could do the job and cheaper. 

Wait, who in the hell else was going to start at TE?  Cumberland was an interesting prospect because he was freakishly fast.  But, then he tore his achilles.  

And the Gailey doesn't use TEs argument is such BS.  I promise you, if Jimmy Graham were on this team, he'd be putting up huge numbers.  

I can't read Gailey's mind. He used Q more as a receiver than he did Cumberland. I remember one game a reporter was bugging Cumberland about why he wasn't getting any balls thrown to him and he told the guy that not everything was receptions. All I'm saying is if he wasn't making a contribution they would have started someone else. And he isn't garbage but he's not Gronk, either. I think the Chargers made a good signing. 

7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

They reached because Idzik struck out on the FA CB market in 2014.   After Vontae Davis gave him the brush off he had no real plan B.  They had DRC in and balked at his price and then gave actual money to part time slot CB and always injured Dimitri Patterson, who is apparently a head case to boot.  There is a decent chance that the reason they were talking McDougle up so much was because he was expected to start.   In fact, he almost had to.  He should have been a better option than Antonio Allen.

31 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Who exactly was going to lineup at TE? Amaro and Sudfeld were hurt, and yes he made a few catches here and there over the years but truth is he wasn't the same speed wise after he tore his Achilles a few years back. The fact that he got zero looks in the passing game tells you all you need to know about how Gailey felt about Cumberland. You can't say "Gailey just doesn't use TE's" when he's utilized them to some degree at every other stop but NYJ. 

24 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Wait, who in the hell else was going to start at TE?  Cumberland was an interesting prospect because he was freakishly fast.  But, then he tore his achilles.  

And the Gailey doesn't use TEs argument is such BS.  I promise you, if Jimmy Graham were on this team, he'd be putting up huge numbers.  

The interesting thing about the failure to use Cumberland wasn't that he hardly got any looks, it was that Kellen ******* Davis got almost as many targets.  Then they signed that stiff back.  Shocking.

Look if Mac didn't like Amaro (even before he was injured) and Gailey didn't want to use Cumberland as a viable receiver then what was his plan in training camp at tight end. He had money and didn't spend it on that position. And didn't draft one either. Then all of a sudden we hear that Quincy not only made the team but was starting some games and had a receiving role in the offense. Imo he impressed them a lot in training camp and won a job. And he could also block. I know the Jets were interested this year in Gresham because the guy is a good blocking tight end. To me these are the guys you go after. And one of the biggest stories in training camp will be if Amaro will have a role this year. His rep is that he can't block but wasn't he improving on that in 2014.

Archived