Initial CLE Thoughts & Other Stuff

KRL

On Offense

- CLE was awful against the run last year (32nd), have they improved?  They drafted
Danny Shelton to secure their middle at NT, how will he hold up against Mangold,
Carpenter and Colon in his first game?  If he gets blown off the line we could have
a field day running between the tackles

- We must be prepared for Pettine's pressure schemes.  Thankfully Gailey and Fitzpatrick
are familiar with them from their time in BUF

- Marshall against Joe Haden will be an interesting #1 WR vs. #1 CB matchup.  Does CLE
have a #2 CB that can handle Decker?  If not that's a major mismatch 

On Defense

- With no Josh Gordon, CLE is very pedestrian at the skill positions.  But they have a
talented OLine with Joe Thomas, Joel Bitionio & Alex Mack.  Their main focus is to run
the ball, can our DLine neutralize their OLine and get after McCown?

- You feel bad for Rontez Miles not making the active roster after what appeared to be an
excellent summer.  But I like what Bowles said concerning him, "Rontez had a great camp
and I told him that myself. I thought he was the most improved guy, but that doesn't mean
he was ready. There are still some things he has to learn, but I think he was getting there."
It gives an indication that Bowles is going to push players and not "gas their heads up"
after good performances

- Shelton's a monster.  One of my favorite prospects from the draft.  Kid will be a beast.  But drawing Mangold on your first ever game, is a tough draw.  I would hope the savvy vet would have his way.  Cleveland has improved on D.  Randy Starks should help them a bit in the run game...but that's definitely an area the Jets should have their way. Secondary is very solid though.  Definitely need to play a ball control game. 

- They have a solid LB core.  Kruger, Dansby, Mingo are pretty solid.  They should have some success getting to the QB.

- Their secondary is nasty.

- Jets defense should have a field day.

- Miles >>>>> Pryor.  It was clear as day.

I think this game is all about field position. Jets need to flip the field & pressure, pressure, pressure the Browns defense. I don't care what Shelton did in preseason, he's going up against an NFL All Pro this Sunday.

Coaches always talk about consistancy, Shelton his sure to make some plays but how is his stamina? As soon as he tires Mangold will be directing him & shielding him off. Who the hell is Revis gonna cover? Talk about our boy being bored.

My fear is ALWAYS turning the ball over to make the Browns job easy. I see a close 1st half & we tire out they're depth in the 2nd half & roll in the 4th quarter. I just don't see a team with such few offensive weapons beating a team that stops the run & was 3rd in the league running the ball. You need big plays on O to counteract a ball control team, give me one player on offense for the Browns that scares you?

I think this game is all about field position. Jets need to flip the field & pressure, pressure, pressure the Browns defense. I don't care what Shelton did in preseason, he's going up against an NFL All Pro this Sunday.

Coaches always talk about consistancy, Shelton his sure to make some plays but how is his stamina? As soon as he tires Mangold will be directing him & shielding him off. Who the hell is Revis gonna cover? Talk about our boy being bored.

My fear is ALWAYS turning the ball over to make the Browns job easy. I see a close 1st half & we tire out they're depth in the 2nd half & roll in the 4th quarter. I just don't see a team with such few offensive weapons beating a team that stops the run & was 3rd in the league running the ball. You need big plays on O to counteract a ball control team, give me one player on offense for the Browns that scares you?

Our corners should be able to completely shutdown anything resembling a passing game.  Especially when you consider how Bowles blitz packages.  My fear is, they should be able to do similar on their side.  Both teams have great secondaries (or at least the Jets should) and terrible QB's.  Luckily the Jets are much deeper at the skillz positions. 

The real test is going to be our front 7 vs. their OL because their OL is one of the best in the league and while we should have one of the best DL's in Football...you never know what it's going to look like without Richardson.  The winner of that battle, wins the game IMO. 

I think we have been grossly underrated the entire off season and I think we win this game comfortably with the outcome never in serious doubt. I'm predicting something along the lines of a 27-13 Win to start the season. 

People talk as if Fitzpatrick is some devastating liability for us when in reality he is the best QB to start for this team since 2008 Brett Favre. Fitzpatrick has shown that when he has weapons around him he can score points and not single handedly lose games like Geno and Sanchez have done for us.

Outside of the QB position I think this team is loaded and should not have a losing record this season. 

The key is the Jets run game, if we can run it down their throats, we will be in good shape. Look for some big plays from Marshall and/or decker once the Cleveland D is loosened up with the run.

The Jets D should really make it tough for the Cleveland O. The passing game should basically be shut down by the secondary, Browns run game is not impressive.

the Browns have one of the best OL in the league. Their first round pick Cam Erving can't even find a starting job. They are using him as an extra TE

I get that their Oline is good but I don't care how good you are it's tough to run when teams have 9 in the box!

Revis WR won't even get off the LOS so forget about him. I see Bowles with a LOT of delayed blitzes because, I don't think the Browns have the skill players to get open consistently vs our secondary.

Delay blitzes allow the defense to play run 1st & rush the passer after 2 Mississippis, lol. That's what everyone did to us when we had no threats at WR.

Basically all you need to know about the Browns is they are predominantly a rushing offense. Yet they kept 7 wide receivers on their 53 man roster, and only two rb's .( one has a concussion that might not be able to go).        I picked the Jets in my knockout pool this week.( was eliminated last year going with the Jets against the Bills)

The Browns have nothing to offer the Jets. Bowles starts his coaching career off with a bang. Jets win 27-13

I'm sorry, other than a TO on the Jets side of the field I'm really trying to see how this Brown's team scores 13 points? Seriously, list the Browns WRs/TEs/RBs

The Jets had better personnel on offense last year.

They were 8th vs the pass however and you win in this league by stopping the pass these days not the run.

These stats mean NOTHING when your 32nd stopping the run. If we can run, we will WIN, end of story. Giving up the run exhausts the front 7, forces them to stop more plays & puts pressure on their offense to score every time they have the ball. Its a bad way to live.

These stats mean NOTHING when your 32nd stopping the run. If we can run, we will WIN, end of story. Giving up the run exhausts the front 7, forces them to stop more plays & puts pressure on their offense to score every time they have the ball. Its a bad way to live.

Of course it means something, you score in this league by using the super pass friendly rules.    A team that has to grind its points out on the ground does not score big points.  The jets were 3d in rushing last year and won what 4 games?  We put up 277 yds vs miami and 228 vs the pats and lost both those games.

If this game was away I would be concerned..first time head coach game jitters and all..

Since we are at home I think we win this one comfortably. I predict a 14-10 halftime score for the jets with us receiving. Browns will give us trouble with some sweeps, runs to the outside with Duke ( if healthy), and short quick passes underneath. Fortunately for us  Mccown is just not talented enough to keep it up for a full game against this talented of a secondary and this will lead to punts and interceptions.

We should then take control in the second half since they will not be able to stop our run game which will open up the play action game for fitz. This will lead to us having back to back td possessions, followed with us taking the air out of the ball and stifling their offense with constant pressure.

Final score prediction, 28 - 13 jets

If this game was away I would be concerned..first time head coach game jitters and all..

Since we are at home I think we win this one comfortably. I predict a 14-10 halftime score for the jets with us receiving. Browns will give us trouble with some sweeps, runs to the outside with Duke ( if healthy), and short quick passes underneath. Fortunately for us  Mccown is just not talented enough to keep it up for a full game against this talented of a secondary and this will lead to punts and interceptions.

We should then take control in the second half since they will not be able to stop our run game which will open up the play action game for fitz. This will lead to us having back to back td possessions, followed with us taking the air out of the ball and stifling their offense with constant pressure.

Final score prediction, 28 - 13 jets

What are we, the Patriots or sumpin?   LOL... j/k  

Of course it means something, you score in this league by using the super pass friendly rules.    A team that has to grind its points out on the ground does not score big points.  The jets were 3d in rushing last year and won what 4 games?  We put up 277 yds vs miami and 228 vs the pats and lost both those games.

Rex Ryan is the only coach EVER to lose a game rushing for over 300 yards. I believe 277 was the 2nd most rushing yards & losing. I have a lot more faith that if we run for over 200 yards on Sunday that Gailey will take some play action shots, unlike that absolutely INSANE game vs the Fins at home last year. A BALANCED offense is always better.

Archived