First Quarter Recap

KRL

With a rookie coach, new staff and the installation of a new offense & defense
I was hoping we could be 2-2.  Add in the drama of Richardson's suspension,
"Jaw-Gate" and a new QB and how could anyone not be happy being 3-1.  There's
a long way to go but it's a good start

Offense

- Phil Jackson ran a "Triangle Offense" when he coached and now so do the Jets.
Bowles/Gailey run an offense that emphasizes their best playmakers (Marshall,
Decker & Ivory) and everyone else is secondary.  So stop looking for the TE
to be a top target they are "assistant OT's"

- The OLine has bounced back from a shaky year.  Carpenter has been a terrific
addition but credit has to go to Gailey for his scheme.  Because the other four
linemen haven't changed and we all wanted Colon gone after his performance last
year.  Excellent job by the whole group in limiting their penalties

- At WR we need Owusu back and Smith to work on his timing/routes.  We need them
to be consistent so we can use their speed to complement Marshall & Decker as
secondary targets

- At RB Ivory is a beast and Powell is the perfect complement to him.  Stacy seems
to be too much of a plodder, if Ridley is healthy he'll replace him.  Ridley could
be a big addition if he's healthy because he runs hard and would have fresh legs

- Fitzpatrick has been ok, but if he doesn't improve his play he'll leave the
door open for Smith to get a shot.  He's been strong in getting rid of the ball
quickly, diagnosing defenses, setting protections, giving the offense a sense of
calm and his arm strength outside the numbers has been better.  But he needs to
improve on his accuracy (particularly deep), forcing balls and overall production.
Because when you're getting 200 yards on the ground you should'nt be going 16-29
against MIA

Defense

- The DLine has been good and should get better with Richardson coming back. 
Wilkerson has been great defending the run and looks to be poised for his best
sack year (3.5 already).  Williams has been as good as advertised.  He hasn't
generated "sexy stats" yet (.5 sacks) but he's consistently in the backfield and
has just missed on three other sacks

- The OLB's have been pedestrian, no real impact plays.  But the ILB's have been
improved, since neither Harris or Davis have increased their speed I'll credit
Bowles scheme.  Harris/Davis have been excellent in blitzing and other than a
couple of wheel routes against PHI they've been solid in coverage

- Other than Cro, who has had shaky moments, the secondary has been as good as
advertised.  Pryor isn't a finished product but he's better, Revis is Revis,
Gilchrist has given us a solid coverage option and Skrine is the anti-Kyle Wilson.
Add in young players like Williams, McDougle, Bailey & Milliner and we have a
chance to develop an incredibly deep group

Specials

- I expect perfection from Folk so two misses this early means he's slightly
down in his performance.  His kickoffs are fine and the coverage has been good

- I can't hide my disappointment in Quigley and would like to see him replaced.
You can always expect him to shank one when we need to flip field position.  In
addition our punt coverage has been awful

- Kerley is much improved on punt returns.  He's stopped the fair catches and
the dancing and finally getting vertical once he fields a punt

- Stacy is awful on kick returns we need Owusu back big time

Improvements Needed

- Better QB play

- Penalties have to be reduced, we need to shoot for 5 or less per game

- Better challenge info fed to the coaching staff

- Starting off faster in games.  Deferring and letting our defense on the
field first could help set the tone 

- Better punt coverage

- Our secondary offensive options (Owusu, Smith, Powell, Ridley) have to get
up to speed and be consistent.  So when defenses try to take away our
"Triangle Offense" we have other places to go

Folk has been fine. Look around the league at the kicking mess the new extra points have created. We're in good shape there.

Agree on challenges from early weeks, but the challenge used versus Miami was a good one.

Everything else is spot on, I think.

Team is 3-1 vs. not much to complain about but a lot of room for improvement.  I'm not sure this team is even near its ceiling yet.   

Don't know if it's more Gailey or FItz but I love the way Fitz gets rid of the ball quickly to help the OL and avoid sacks.  

Running game is inconsistent (2 good games, 2 terrible games) 

Jets offense is very pedestrian w/o all of the weapons.  We haven't seen everyone healthy yet so it should be fun to see.  

Lack of TE is concerning.  

Bowles wasn't kidding when he said he wants his D to dictate how the offense plays.   He found a blitz that worked vs. Miami and kept running it over and over again and Miami just didn't make any adjustments.   Not sure I've ever seen that before.  

Really looking forward to how Bowles matches up vs. Pats* O.   

Washington game is huge.   Don't want to see 3-3.   

The WAS game will be a test for Bowles in my eyes.  Because as we all know

our previous coach was horrible coming out of byes.  It always seemed like we

forgot what the game of football was after a layoff.  I want to see us crisp,

energetic and with a reduction in penalties in that game   

The WAS game will be a test for Bowles in my eyes.  Because as we all know

our previous coach was horrible coming out of byes.  It always seemed like we

forgot what the game of football was after a layoff.  I want to see us crisp,

energetic and with a reduction in penalties in that game   

True although we did hold Aaron Rogers to 3 fg's in a 9-0 loss in 2010..LOL

Team is 3-1 vs. not much to complain about but a lot of room for improvement.  I'm not sure this team is even near its ceiling yet.   

Don't know if it's more Gailey or FItz but I love the way Fitz gets rid of the ball quickly to help the OL and avoid sacks.  

Running game is inconsistent (2 good games, 2 terrible games) 

Jets offense is very pedestrian w/o all of the weapons.  We haven't seen everyone healthy yet so it should be fun to see.  

Lack of TE is concerning.  

Bowles wasn't kidding when he said he wants his D to dictate how the offense plays.   He found a blitz that worked vs. Miami and kept running it over and over again and Miami just didn't make any adjustments.   Not sure I've ever seen that before.  

Really looking forward to how Bowles matches up vs. Pats* O.   

Washington game is huge.   Don't want to see 3-3.   

Will DeSean Jackson be back for our game? Jackson and Garcon is a good receiving duo. And they have a potent running game. Not a push-over by any means.

Agreed that the Jets are a work in progress, which is true of virtually every team right now. What is amazing is that I haven't really noticed any sense of disarray or failure to be on the same page with the coaching staff. They look like they've worked together for years. Offense is gradually coming together, particularly the OLine, which fuels everything else. Marshall has been tremendous, Decker a great complement, and Ivory doing his punishment on the enemy. Defense has elite qualities already and will only get better and deeper as players come of the DL, etc. Fun team to watch for the first time in years.

KRL  great job as always!!!

I also don't think that we can fully contemplate what having Sheldon back will do for this defense and this team.  That guy may drive to fast but he certainly is a beast for real and can impact the team that much if he is in reasonable shape.....

I like what track the Jets are on but I was believing we were a 8-8;or 9-7 team from the beginning of the season.

Great analysis KRL, as always.

While I'm happy we're 3-1, I also have an uneasy feeling and it all comes down to Fitzpatrick. I just cringe almost every time the guy throws. He forces way too many balls into coverage which has gotten him into some trouble, but I feel he's actually been lucky that he got away with some. It could be much worse. I just don't see him as being able to make all the throws, particularly the big throws we're going to need when we trail in games. And no, Geno is not the guy either.

I think the fact that we're 3-1 speaks to how good this team is really almost everywhere else. I really believe they could be an elite contender if they had a top 10 or 15 type QB. Think about it: other than the obviously enormous gaps between us and the Pats at QB and TE, where do they have us beat? You can make the case that we have a better OL, WRs, RBs, DL, LB and secondary. Now, the problem with that kind of team in this league is this: it's difficult to be really good, but also prevents you from being bad enough to earn the opportunity to grab a true impact young QB. Hope higher that high that Petty can amount to something over the next two years, otherwise this defense etc will be wasted.

The only thing I disagree with is saying all the LB's have been pedestrian.  I think David Harris has actually studded out.  He's the QB out there but not only that he's making some impact plays.  He's still the hardest hitter on the Defense - he doesn't miss a lot, he's getting sacks and forcing fumbles plus he's always been a very reliable tackler.  He plays hard, doesn't get hurt and sets the tone.  DH continues to be under the radar very good for us. 

Archived