Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

19 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

Letting him hit the open market when teams are throwing money around like crazy is a little concerning.  You are correct though, we do have the early Bird rights to him and can exceed the cap to sign him.  If they do sign him after rescinding the qualifying offer it points to a competent front office...

Yeah, it's a gamble, but we can see in the last 2 days that salaries are dropping and there are bargains out there.  

By rescinding, the Knicks also avoid the poison-pill/matching scenario like with Lin.  Here, Galloway can field an offer, the Knicks can make a competitive counter-offer and hope to re-sign him without being forced to match the contract if Galloway was still a RFA.  That's what happened with Lance.  He had a better offer from Philly, but chose the Knicks.

For the basketball nerds out there like me, here's an excellent explanation of the move the Knicks did to rescind Galloway's qualifying offer (giving up matching rights but retaining Bird rights):

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2016/7/4/12095196/nba-free-agency-2016-jennings-thomas-galloway

Also, as the article points out, the Knicks can actually sign Galloway for more in the 1st year ($6.1 as average NBA salary) with Early Bird rights than the RFA qualifying offer of $2.7 mil

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knicks signed Lithuanian SF (6'9") Mindaugus Kuzminskas to a 2yr $6 mil deal (likely the room exception).  Here's some vid

He was playing in Spain last year and was set to play for David Blatt's team in Turkey.

The way this shakes, it looks like the Knicks will sign Willy to the remainder of the cap (multi yr deal starting at $1.5 mil in first year), then can do Early Bird on Galloway (up to 4 yr $28 mil like Lance) then Mindaugus! for the room exception

If Knicks resign Galloway, the final slots will likely be filled by Summerleaguers.  I think it will be Chasson Randle (who was great yesterday), Ron Baker and Marshall Pumlee

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:04 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I completely forgot we still had O'Quinn. So our bench is now Jennings, Holiday, Thomas, and O'Quinn? This not a half-bad basketball team at all. If we can get one more decent big we can make a push for 45-50 wins as long as everyone doesn't get hurt, which is definitely happening.

O'Quinn is good.  Friggin Rambis underused him

We're looking at around a 44 win team and the 7th or 8th seed with about $30 million in cap room next offseason.  Not bad.

Galloway is going to sign with Pelicans, so that's a loss, but Knicks at least keep the 2017 cap space they need.

Makes sense for Galloway since he's from Baton Rouge.

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sounds like Noah had a ton to do with the Lee signing. It'll be interesting to see how next year goes with Westbrook, Noah seems like the type of guy that would know how to hype that dude up just right.

I think the lakers are the favorite to land Westbrook but we definitely have a shot

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sounds like Noah had a ton to do with the Lee signing. It'll be interesting to see how next year goes with Westbrook, Noah seems like the type of guy that would know how to hype that dude up just right.

Noah came here because of Rose.

I think there is a better chance of Rose becoming a good player again and resigning than Westbrook coming to NY. Frankly, I'd rather have a healthy, good Rose to resign than partake in the Westbrook Beauty Contest.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Noah came here because of Rose.

I think there is a better chance of Rose becoming a good player again and resigning than Westbrook coming to NY. Frankly, I'd rather have a healthy, good Rose to resign than partake in the Westbrook Beauty Contest.

Do not resign Rose after next season

an BegleyESPN Staff Writer 

begley_ian_m.jpg

The Knicks have renounced free agents Derrick Williams, Kevin Seraphin, Lou Amundson and Cleanthony Early, so the players no longer count against their salary cap. They can offer these players a contract with a first-year value equal to whatever cap space they have left, which appears to be minimal. They can also offer each player the veterans minimum exception. Williams, in particular, figures to command more than that on the open market so it will be difficult for New York to re-sign him.

12 hours ago, SMC said:

Frankly, I'd rather have a healthy, good Rose to resign than partake in the Westbrook Beauty Contest.

Please explain/elaborate.

RW is one of the 5 best players in the league right now. Are you saying you don't want him altogether, or you just don't want to contest for him and ultimately lose out?

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Please explain/elaborate.

RW is one of the 5 best players in the league right now. Are you saying you don't want him altogether, or you just don't want to contest for him and ultimately lose out?

The latter

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Who excites you the most? Seriously...

The possibility of Rose healthy with the addition of Noah on a smaller level. 

My level of excitement isnt off the charts it's just higher than its been in 16 years. 

I'm actually interested again. That interest could/will quickly evaporate after a 6-13 start and someone's already hurt. But just saying...

They have my attention for now, at least.

it's been a very long time.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

My level of excitement isnt off the charts it's just higher than its been in 16 years. 

I'm actually interested again. That interest could/will quickly evaporate after a 6-13 start and someone's already hurt. But just saying...

I love Noah. If he's healthy he's great...problem is Rose, imo, is done. Galloway starting at point would have been fine imo...but what Melo wants, Melo gets. The shame of all of this is the Knicks continue to try to appease a guy who isnt nearly good enough to be appeased. 

Courtney Lee is a nice player, plays hard and will hit the offensive glass. But he's a JAG. Like I said...the under is a mortal lock.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'm actually interested again. That interest could/will quickly evaporate after a 6-13 start and someone's already hurt.

You're in luck then, because 6-13 probably means Rose didn't get hurt.

On 7/9/2016 at 10:38 PM, Matt39 said:

Can we take the cat out of the bag for a second and acknowledge he wasnt very good last year? I like the kid too, but if he cant rebound he's not going to last....

Wasn't very good last year? WTF are you talking about?  Seriously.  That's an incredibly ridiculous statement to say.

Second in ROY voting and unanimous 1st Team All Rookie.

Out of rookies, he was 3rd in ppg, 2nd in rpg (and you say he cant rebound LOL) 1st in bpg (8th in NBA), 2nd in double-doubles, 3rd in PER, 3rd in WS, 

KP is the first rookie in NBA history to score more than 1,000 points, grab 500+ rebounds, make 75+ 3 pointers and block more than 100 shots

Again, your rebounding claim makes no sense.  He was the second best rebounder in the rookie class and 2nd leading rebounder on the team.  In fact, he rebounded just as well as RoLo although KP played further away from the basket

On 7/9/2016 at 2:17 PM, HessStation said:

I'm not expecting a ton out of Rose.  I think Porzingis is going to have an excellent second season and Noah will provide energy, defense and rebounding.

Jennings was a great under the radar signing.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I'm not expecting a ton out of Rose.  I think Porzingis is going to have an excellent second season and Noah will provide energy, defense and rebounding.

Jennings was a great under the radar signing.

Agreed and I'm not under any false presumptions Rose will ever completely return to MVP type form but I don't think he has to. But he needs to get to that point mentally which he hadn't in Chicago since returning. If he can accept it I think he can still be an above average starting guard and help compliment the other stars...We'll see. But I think Rose somehow fitting in as some kind #2-3 option/role player is a must if they're gonna compete for anything next year. 75% of what he was is better than anything they've had..at the position.

I think Rose will be good, above JAG level since he's a further year removed from knee surgery and he won't have an eye injury.

Also, having the ball in Rose's hand is a good thing for KP because, unlike Affalo who was a true jumpshooting ball-hog, Rose will drive to the basket and either make the shot, miss which will give KP rebounding chances or kick out to an open shooter.

The Knicks have a nice balance in their starting 5

Archived