Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

29 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yes, Phil is stupid.

But besides that, I say screw everybody and people are looking at this the wrong way.  Melo, an older KP and Rose are a better core than last year's Melo, KP and Affalo.

I say don't chase Durant at all.  Follow similar approach to last year.  Use that $35 million in cap space this year to fill multiple positions.  Sign Noah (whom Rose already is pushing to come here-they partied in NYC last night BTW) as C, with Willy as his main backup.

Re-sign DWill, Langston and Thomas. That's 9.

Go after Bazemore and Evan Turner and sign a backup PG.  That's 12 and look at what summer league standouts team can keep.

That team gets you in the 40s in wins and playoff chase (a steady improvement from previous year).  Build toward 2017 where the Knicks still have a 1st rounder and cap space for a bigtime 2017 FA class.  Who knows?  Rose may regain some of his form and is a viable re-signing.  If not, chase another PG.

Final points on the trade.  I'd rather make that trade for Rose than Teague, who is also looking for 2017 money.  RoLo was a consolation prize last year and the media is treating him like a fringe allstar which is ridiculous.  I like Grant, but don't forget about the age factor.  He was an old rookie.  He's 3 years older than KP.  In fact, he's only 3 years and change younger than Rose.

There's only one way to look at this. We set 17 wins on fire and it's actually net positive because it ups the odds of maybe possibly dumb lucking into something at some point in the future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all in on this. This, this is my last stand. This is me telling Ramsay to go **** himself the evening before trying to take back Winterfell. A top 5 player in his prime is available and the Knicks have the selling points and cap space to sign him. They have announced they're going to try. I swore this franchise would never suck me back in until Dolan sells the team but god dammit this has me full steam ahead. Phil I'll forgive you for everything bad I have ever said. I'll get one of those stupid X hats and wear it for a month. I'll read your awful books. I'll buy a Mitchell & Ness Phil Jackson throwback. I'll tell my wife to pretend she's banging Phil Jackson twice per week. I DON'T CARE.

http://hiddenplaybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/10954075_329097773962269_1958714332_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Phil should be fired because he is stupid. Getting Durant to play for the Knicks is a ludicrous ask. Rose checks a bunch of boxes. Placates Blind Lemon Dolan, frees room for when the cap contracts, sells tickets, helps tank. But he's not going to lure any free agents. Carmelo has demonstrated pretty clearly that guys know who can't play even if the fans don't.

If the Knicks go ahead and pay Noah more than what they were paying Lopez then we really know we're screwed. This offseason just started unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We're screwed because we're stupid enough to try. We're not as screwed as we could be because he's going to turn it down.

Is Phil really steering this ship or is still Francis Buxton? I don't think Phils that stupid tbh.

Noah will not get max money from anyone, plus he's >>> than RoLo.  I think he signs short term to get a bigger deal later.

The writers were mentioning this in general.  The cap goes up against next year and players will sign short deals this year to get even more money the following year, regardless of length of contract.  The first year salary is tied to the cap so some players could be make more than $5 million per a year if they become a free agent in 2017 compared to 2016.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Is Phil really steering this ship or is still Francis Buxton? I don't think Phils that stupid tbh.

Regardless, when did it become a thing that RoLo is better than Noah?

Noah is an upgrade.  The salary issue is only what impact it has in 2017.

Remember when people were killing the Knicks last year for the money they paid RoLo?  Good times.

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

Regardless, when did it become a thing that RoLo is better than Noah?

Noah is an upgrade.  The salary issue is only what impact it has in 2017.

Remember when people were killing the Knicks last year for the money they paid RoLo?  Good times.

Noah's breaking down it seems. Although the upside here is we'll have @dbatesman super pumped as another NY team turns into a Chicago franchise. So there's that. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Noah's breaking down it seems. Although the upside here is we'll have @dbatesman super pumped as another NY team turns into a Chicago franchise. So there's that. 

Yes, that would make DB happy.

Injury is an issue, but Noah is good and I don't think the money will be bad.  He's not a max player so the Knicks would be able to sign multiple players.  It's better than maxing Conley IMO.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yeah maybe 10% receive that treatment and 2% care.

Some aspire for more but maybe most are like you. 

I went to a mid major division one school and saw it all first hand. None of them had excessive hoop dreams but reaped all of the rewards. And if they were halfway decent they could go to Europe and play there and make some money. Some of my friends did just that. 

I'm not sure what you meant by that last part, but I'm just going to Hope you weren't insinuating anything insulting. That'd be a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I went to a mid major division one school and saw it all first hand. None of them had excessive hoop dreams but reaped all of the rewards. And if they were halfway decent they could go to Europe and play there and make some money. Some of my friends did just that. 

I'm not sure what you meant by that last part, but I'm just going to Hope you weren't insinuating anything insulting. That'd be a mistake. 

You're the one insinuating something insulting. I got something like a quarter of a million dollars in free education for being good at taking standardized tests. What these guys get for actual time and effort and talent is the same thing I got for something that has literally zero utility. Plus nobody ever told me what I was supposed to shut up and be grateful for. This white thing is quite the racket, boyitellya.

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You're the one insinuating something insulting. I got something like a quarter of a million dollars in free education for being good at taking standardized tests. What these guys get for actual time and effort and talent is the same thing I got for something that has literally zero utility. Plus nobody ever told me what I was supposed to shut up and be grateful for. This white thing is quite the racket, boyitellya.

No one forced any of them to go to college and get a free education. We all make our choices. I'm not really sure what the loin you're trying to make here is. Or if you even have one. Either way most college athletes are compensated just fine for their talents. 

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No matter who they get to replace RoLo, he'll be more expensive and probably not as good for the money. The trade wasn't good for the Knicks. 

The trade was absolutely good for the Knicks.  They improved the PG position, correct? Plus, RoLo is a JAG and the pricetag is not that important because of the explosion of the salary cap.  I cant understand how people are critical of this move.  Again, Knicks filled their biggest hole, didn't give up a 1st rounder and still have $35 million in cap space.  In light of all that, CC, how can you say its bad?

Also, Rutgers, you've just gotten a get of jail free card.  Durant isn't meeting with Knicks July 1.  His meetings are with OKC, GSW, Spurs, Celtics, Heat and Clippers,

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No one forced any of them to go to college and get a free education. We all make our choices. I'm not really sure what the loin you're trying to make here is. Or if you even have one. Either way most college athletes are compensated just fine for their talents. 

No one forced Miss Lonelyhearts or anyone else who got a free ride because they aced a standardized test.  His point is clear.  These athletes have to do quantumly more to get the same thing.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

The trade was absolutely good for the Knicks.  They improved the PG position, correct? Plus, RoLo is a JAG and the pricetag is not that important because of the explosion of the salary cap.  I cant understand how people are critical of this move.  Again, Knicks filled their biggest hole, didn't give up a 1st rounder and still have $35 million in cap space.  In light of all that, CC, how can you say its bad?

Also, Rutgers, you've just gotten a get of jail free card.  Durant isn't meeting with Knicks July 1.  His meetings are with OKC, GSW, Spurs, Celtics, Heat and Clippers,

Derrick Rose is a shell of himself and he's looking for max money. They didn't make the best use of their assets. Most beat writers and talking heads are widely panning this trade. Cap space means nothing when no one wants to play with Melo. 

2 hours ago, SMC said:

No one forced Miss Lonelyhearts or anyone else who got a free ride because they aced a standardized test.  His point is clear.  These athletes have to do quantumly more to get the same thing.

Cool. What's your point? College athletes are compensated to work hard. That's the point. 95% of them aren't good enough to be pros. They should be happy they get anything to play a game. 

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Derrick Rose is a shell of himself and he's looking for max money. They didn't make the best use of their assets. Most beat writers and talking heads are widely panning this trade. Cap space means nothing when no one wants to play with Melo. 

But Knicks wouldn't have to pay him until next year after a 1 yr tryout. This was great use of assets. Those beat writers and talking heads are bona fide Knicks haters. Seriously, every single one killed the Knicks for signing RoLo last year as a consolation prize and said the Knicks overpaid. Niw they're lamenting his departure? Please.

6 minutes ago, SMC said:

But Knicks wouldn't have to pay him until next year after a 1 yr tryout. This was great use of assets. Those beat writers and talking heads are bona fide Knicks haters. Seriously, every single one killed the Knicks for signing RoLo last year as a consolation prize and said the Knicks overpaid. Niw they're lamenting his departure? Please.

They aren't winning a title in 2016-2017, they aren't going to keep Rose who is looking for money, and they'll be in a worse position next year with an older Melo and a disheveled roster. They traded three decent assets for one broken down one and they overpaid massively. When the Knicks get another big man to replace RoLo, it's not going to be as cheap as they got him for. 

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Your subjective opinion as to whether the compensation is fine is irrelevant. Their labor is a necessary precondition for other people to make money and in polite society the tradeoff is based on that, unconstrained by a monopoly conferred a million years ago for reasons that no longer have anything to do with anything. It's not slavery but it ain't close to fair.

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Any pundit with a brain loves the Rose trade for the Knicks.  If don't get Noah Phoenix is begging anyone to take Chandler

6 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Your subjective opinion as to whether the compensation is fine is irrelevant. Their labor is a necessary precondition for other people to make money and in polite society the tradeoff is based on that, unconstrained by a monopoly conferred a million years ago for reasons that no longer have anything to do with anything. It's not slavery but it ain't close to fair.

They are probably given over 200,000 dollars in free stuff but it's not enough? At more expensive universities it's even more. It's a choice they make. No one is forcing them to do anything. Actually, I'm probably being generous with my figure of 200K. 

Archived