Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

On 6/6/2016 at 8:37 PM, Matt39 said:

He's been playing like a role player, which is exactly what he was supposed to be on the Cavs.

This.  For how they use him, they should have kept Wiggins and signed Novak.

Tommy Dee made an interesting point on twitter, that since LBJ essentially plays both the 1 and 4 he negates the benefits of having Irving and Love.  They'd be better to build at the 2, 3 and 5.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/6/2016 at 8:32 PM, drdetroit said:

Kevin Love is so bad he's going to force Lebron to leave Cleveland again

On 6/6/2016 at 8:37 PM, Matt39 said:

He's been playing like a role player, which is exactly what he was supposed to be on the Cavs.

I could walk on the court right now and score 30 on Kevin Love. 

On 6/7/2016 at 1:53 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

If running around jacking up jumpers is horse, then boxing out and post play is basically male butt sex.

All of it is basketball. Your not being able to enjoy it because you want it to go back to the way it was played in the 1950s doesn't make it a different game, just as my not wanting it to go back to the 1950's style doesn't make it a different game.

For me, it's not the style of play so much as it is the league as a whole. The narrative that unhappy people push is that GS wouldn't have succeeded in any other era because of fouling, which is true, but for me that's fine in the NBA's instance, leagues and games change and teams still have equal opportunities to get good. The problem as I see it is the league is so ridiculously top-heavy it makes investing time in following much of it a real chore. An entire NBA postseason consisted of 2 good series. That's it. Dos. And to me that's the difference between this era and other eras, the league is just so hollowed out. Golden State is fun to watch, Westbrook and Kawhi are fun to watch, and Lebron is Lebron, and you've got maybe a few teams coming up who show some promise for the future (Celts, Pelicans...etc), but that's really about it. The past few postseasons have been so blase.

I don't get what's going on with American sports right now. The NFL is top-heavy and it sucks. The NBA is top-heavy and it sucks. Baseball's the only one of the big three that seem to be delivering lately. Boxing is absolute sh*t. UFC is awesome but yokels who watched it once in 2003 still think it's male dry humping. Even US Soccer just got stomped by Columbia on US soil for ****'s sake.

I suppose if the Knicks were competitive there's a chance I could feel differently, but it's hard to tout this as a good era for the league. You've got 3-4 fun teams to watch and that's really about it. That's bad thing, regardless of how entertaining the good ones are. How many regular season games that didn't involve Golden State (or watching the dumpster fire that is the Knicks) did any of us tune into this year? I think I caught OKC a few times to watch Westbrook and that's it. And for me that's a first.

On June 7, 2016 at 0:48 PM, Matt39 said:

He was never a great defender. He's not a center either, so getting on him for defense is a bit silly. The entire team has been horrible defensively.

Silly?

Kevin Love is a joke.  Biggest stat chapel in basketball.  Does zippo on D.  Carmelo takes an absolute thrashing in the media yet he made the playoffs every year in the west and his first 3 years here.   Love is a loser's loser and Lebron is leaving Cleveland again unless their GM can perform a miracle and get something valuable back for Love

Kyle O'Quinn has been hanging out in Latvia with KP

24ee248f-14cc-4c17-b22d-070af8bdba46.jpg

KP has built a public court there, is running a youth camp and the Knicks flew out assistant coach Josh Longstaff to work with KP (and O'Quinn now that he's there).

c26cfdef-16c0-49a6-a35d-8829a7214661.jpg

164ffce0-3096-4ff1-8130-7abaf6ba9ce8.jpg

On 6/7/2016 at 2:53 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

If running around jacking up jumpers is horse, then boxing out and post play is basically male butt sex.

All of it is basketball. Your not being able to enjoy it because you want it to go back to the way it was played in the 1950s doesn't make it a different game, just as my not wanting it to go back to the 1950's style doesn't make it a different game.

wut ?

the style I like was played into the 1990's. 

On 6/7/2016 at 1:31 PM, Matt39 said:

Golden State can do both

the league got rid of true post lay because they don't want shot blockers near the rim.  That takes away a big part of the game.  run outs isn't really defense btw. 

guards posting guards is lol.

there are some awesome defenders out there, its just boring as a whole

2 hours ago, Larz said:

the league got rid of true post lay because they don't want shot blockers near the rim.  That takes away a big part of the game.  run outs isn't really defense btw. 

guards posting guards is lol.

there are some awesome defenders out there, its just boring as a whole

I guess I'm just a sentimental Knicks fan but I like the 90's game better.  More defense, more physicality.  

Everything now is lay ups and jumpers

So I caught the middle of the 1st quarter to the middle of the 2nd last night. For a close game in the finals it was lousy basketball. The great thing about true post play is you get cutters. Nobody cuts anymore.  Catch and shoot.

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Melo for Rose and their first. **** I might settle for Rose for Melo straight up if they're willing to take on the contract. That or Rose for Lopez and Williams..

Melo only has 3 years left on his deal.  Yeah I get the idea of salary dump but we had cap room last year nobody came and we're going to have $21 million this year once Calzone is cut.  Plus I strongly doubt Melo waives his no trade clause to play with a bulls team that is actually worse shape going forward than the knicks

This is a horrible draft.  Probably the worst I've seen since the Kwame Brown draft

On June 17, 2016 at 0:37 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

If you missed SVP after the Finals tonight, you missed JR Smith's little daughter dropping this gem:

Interviewer: What's your thoughts on your dad and the Finals?
Daughter: I'm just proud that he made the championship and didn't get kicked off the team.

I'm amazed Smith and Shumpert even play.  Dahntay Jones is much more effective than either one 

Phil is entering the Durant sweepstakes! I'm not gonna get too excited about this but LEGOOOOOOOOOOOO

Knicks president Phil Jackson told Derrick Rose that he’s going after Kevin Durant next 

Derrick Rose was never big on playing free agent pitchman for the Chicago Bulls, whether the target was LeBron James all the way back in 2010 or Carmelo Anthony two summers ago.

But Phil Jackson believes that by acquiring the former MVP point guard for one starter, a rookie and a veteran with an expiring contract the Knicks enhanced their bid to land the biggest free agent on the market, Kevin Durant.

According to a source, Jackson told Rose of his plan to pursue Durant starting on July 1st. That in of itself may be the worst-kept secret in the NBA, along with the notion that Golden State, San Antonio, Miami and both Los Angeles clubs are also planning to recruit Durant.

The difference now, however, is that the Knicks are not only selling Durant on Madison Square Garden and Madison Avenue, but also a roster that features a triangle we can all understand; Carmelo Anthony, Kristaps Porzingis and Rose, who turns 28 in October.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

so no picks as usual ?

of course not. Toronto fleecing us.

Ibaka got the Thunder Sabonis and Oladipo. The Knicks gave up half their roster for Derrick f'ing Rose. I give up. Knicks have the worst roster in the league right now.

If Phil can't land Durant, he should be fired. This is exactly why we hired him and it's exactly what he gets paid that astounding $12 million per year. He has the cap space to bring in more players, a pair of NBA vets to sell him on, and the fact that Porzingis is only going to get better. The selling points and the money are there. If he can't convince someone like Durant to come and save the Garden over taking the easy route with Golden State, then it should be on to the next GM.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If Phil can't land Durant, he should be fired. This is exactly why we hired him and it's exactly what he gets paid that astounding $12 million per year. He has the cap space to bring in more players, a pair of NBA vets to sell him on, and the fact that Porzingis is only going to get better. The selling points and the money are there. If he can't convince someone like Durant to come and save the Garden over taking the easy route with Golden State, then it should be on to the next GM.

We're in a stronger situation now to land a megastar than we've been at any point since the JVG era - including that time Lebron made a decision. 

Landing Durant should be our #1 and only priority. Throw everything in the world at him. Tell him he'll be the greatest in Knicks history if he gets us there. Show him how amazing NYC is. Pay him what he wants. Sell him on D-Rose and Kris. Tell him you'll get rid of Melo. Remind him he's coming to play in Madison Square ******* Garden. Get this done.

If not, kick Phax out the minute KD says no. And don't ******* look back. 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

We're in a stronger situation now to land a megastar than we've been at any point since the JVG era - including that time Lebron made a decision. 

Landing Durant should be our #1 and only priority. Throw everything in the world at him. Tell him he'll be the greatest in Knicks history if he gets us there. Show him how amazing NYC is. Pay him what he wants. Sell him on D-Rose and Kris. Tell him you'll get rid of Melo. Remind him he's coming to play in Madison Square ******* Garden. Get this done.

If not, kick Phax out the minute KD says no. And don't ******* look back. 

They're not getting Durant. If KD has anyone intelligent advising him he'll steer completely clear. The Knicks arent even close to competing.

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

of course not. Toronto fleecing us.

Ibaka got the Thunder Sabonis and Oladipo. The Knicks gave up half their roster for Derrick f'ing Rose. I give up. Knicks have the worst roster in the league right now.

Well, there's nothing left of the Toronto trade so we're passed that now.

LOL on comparison to Ibaka trade.  You're acting like Sabonis is his dad USSR days.  Oladipo is a nice player, but he's the 2nd overall pic in the worst NBA draft in history.

Grant's an old 2nd year player at 24, RoLo is a nice, fringe starter who Portland gladly let leave and proceeded to reach the 2nd round of the playoffs without him, and Calderon couldn't run anymore.  The Knicks, hands down, improved their PG position over last year even if Rose plays like he did pre-All Star Break (he was good post All Star Break last year).  The Knicks also got back a rotation SG in Holiday and a 2017 2nd round pick without giving up any picks.

People forget that Hernangomez is playing for Knicks next year so he'll play some at C.  In essence, the Knicks traded RoLo because they knew that had a RoLo replacement from last year's draft and good FA options at C.

As for Durant, I don't think there's the remotest chance of it happening.

And, Knicks will never have the worst roster in the league because they have Porzingis

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

@SMC thinks the Garden can't be great again. Sad!

The Garden will be great again ... because of Porzingis

Watch, KP is going to be freaking awesome next year.

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We're ****ed if he's not.

Dude, do you even follow KP's twitter feed?  I'm on there everyday.  It's awesome and I don't even speak Latvian.

Ian Begley of ESPN was in Latvia for two weeks just watching KP train (I'll try to post vids).  KP is practicing post ups, pick-and-role, dribble drive, step backs and cross overs.  And he's getting Rocky strong.  He's going to be ridiculous.

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Phil should be fired because he is stupid. Getting Durant to play for the Knicks is a ludicrous ask. Rose checks a bunch of boxes. Placates Blind Lemon Dolan, frees room for when the cap contracts, sells tickets, helps tank. But he's not going to lure any free agents. Carmelo has demonstrated pretty clearly that guys know who can't play even if the fans don't.

Yes, Phil is stupid.

But besides that, I say screw everybody and people are looking at this the wrong way.  Melo, an older KP and Rose are a better core than last year's Melo, KP and Affalo.

I say don't chase Durant at all.  Follow similar approach to last year.  Use that $35 million in cap space this year to fill multiple positions.  Sign Noah (whom Rose already is pushing to come here-they partied in NYC last night BTW) as C, with Willy as his main backup.

Re-sign DWill, Langston and Thomas. That's 9.

Go after Bazemore and Evan Turner and sign a backup PG.  That's 12 and look at what summer league standouts team can keep.

That team gets you in the 40s in wins and playoff chase (a steady improvement from previous year).  Build toward 2017 where the Knicks still have a 1st rounder and cap space for a bigtime 2017 FA class.  Who knows?  Rose may regain some of his form and is a viable re-signing.  If not, chase another PG.

Final points on the trade.  I'd rather make that trade for Rose than Teague, who is also looking for 2017 money.  RoLo was a consolation prize last year and the media is treating him like a fringe allstar which is ridiculous.  I like Grant, but don't forget about the age factor.  He was an old rookie.  He's 3 years older than KP.  In fact, he's only 3 years and change younger than Rose.

31 minutes ago, SMC said:

I say don't chase Durant at all.  Follow similar approach to last year.  Use that $35 million in cap space this year to fill multiple positions.  Sign Noah (whom Rose already is pushing to come here-they partied in NYC last night BTW) as C, with Willy as his main backup.

http://i1.wp.com/gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/kevin-durant-meme.jpg?resize=650%2C433

Archived