My observation on yesterday's game.

Squirt

I've missed very few home games in the last 35 years and I am glad we won yesterday, but I feel our O and D lines are not as good as they think and told they are. Granted Mangold and Colon are big hits to the O-line but we haven't been able to run the ball the last few games with or without them. The D-line gets no penetration at all no matter who we play. I'm not talking about sacks. Both lines get beat off the ball at the snap. They don't take control at the line of scrimmage and play with no sense of urgency. We need more players who's motors never stop no matter what the score is for 60 minutes and don't quit like the secondary did yesterday. I believe Boles and McCagnan have to trade a couple of vets to send a message at the end of the season. Wilkerson is an above average DE and not worth the money he is asking for. I would trade him and get a decent pick for him. Cromartie will be gone, I hope. We need players who play with energy and don't quit because they think the game is won or believe when they are behind by a few scores give up. We need players who want to win and will play 60 minutes every week.

Why was the defensive front better under Rex they seem to have gotten worse this season and lack making big plays. 

Because Rex used to flood one side of the line and disguise his blitzes much better than this current defense. With Rex's scheme it was always hard to figure who was actually coming and he did it more with base personnel rather than sending blitzes. This scheme is getting burned on the blitz a lot and you can see it coming. I'm not sure if its scheme or missed assignments. Blitzing and allowing the RB to run free in the flat is a 20 yard gain every time.

The fact our D-line is way over hyped and we only have half a secondary when Cro is out there along with slow linebackers is showing itself and the league has caught on.

Because Rex used to flood one side of the line and disguise his blitzes much better than this current defense. With Rex's scheme it was always hard to figure who was actually coming and he did it more with base personnel rather than sending blitzes. This scheme is getting burned on the blitz a lot and you can see it coming. I'm not sure if its scheme or missed assignments. Blitzing and allowing the RB to run free in the flat is a 20 yard gain every time.

The fact our D-line is way over hyped and we only have half a secondary when Cro is out there along with slow linebackers is showing itself and the league has caught on.

LB play has been great this season but the DL has been pitiful even lately we cant stop the run. 

LB play has been great this season but the DL has been pitiful even lately we cant stop the run. 

The LB play is far from great its good up the middle because Harris is damn good at what he does other than that I'm not sure where you're getting great in any phase of our defense . The last 3 games we have stunk and the first few games this season we played teams that were in complete disarray on offense which inflated our stats.

Why was the defensive front better under Rex they seem to have gotten worse this season and lack making big plays. 

Define "big play".

Are you talking about turnovers? Sacks? What? 

I think our DL has been held like crazy all season long. I don't know that they were "better" under Rex, but maybe they were. If there's one thing he was great at, it was selling used cars... if there's another thing, it was "coaching up" a DL full of elite talent.

the problem with all those huge DL is that teams pass more than ever so stopping the run while nice doesn't mean as much as it used to except for a few plays.  give me mauldin and another edge rusher to give the OL problems rather than the wilk/rich/williams trio that don't impact the passing game as much.  

Karl Dunbar?

The O-Line is missing 2 of its best 3 players, so no surprise that they are taking a hit - although we are leading the league (or we were) for fewest QB sacks.  Also, our OC has decided to force the run even when teams are stacking the box; Fitz may not have a tremendous arm, but with what he has and our weapons, we should be throwing over the box and using the pass to open the run...

As for the DL; we are leading the league against the run.  And we are doing much better with turnovers.  The fumble and the last INT was due to the pressure we have been putting on the QB.

I think we are mostly struggling with a) injuries in the secondary and b) not keeping the ball more (and of half).

The O-Line is missing 2 of its best 3 players, so no surprise that they are taking a hit - although we are leading the league (or we were) for fewest QB sacks.  Also, our OC has decided to force the run even when teams are stacking the box; Fitz may not have a tremendous arm, but with what he has and our weapons, we should be throwing over the box and using the pass to open the run...

As for the DL; we are leading the league against the run.  And we are doing much better with turnovers.  The fumble and the last INT was due to the pressure we have been putting on the QB.

I think we are mostly struggling with a) injuries in the secondary and b) not keeping the ball more (and of half).

Fair points, but I'd argue that Colon is the worst of our 5 starting OL.

We rarely got turnovers or big plays under Rex.  What we got was a D that tried, and sometimes succeeded, at being a stone wall.  Rex's motive was to not allow an offense to move at all.  He didn't want to give up points obviously, but he didn't want to give up yards either.  His ideal philosophy was all 3 and outs.  This D has made more big plays overall, but you are correct we can't seem to stop anything at the moment. 

You are right on the strategic quality of passing to open the run game, but the Jets are a run first team that wants to use play action. The problem is our o-line is old and now injury prone. Jets really need to address this on draft day and not with sixth or seventh round 'projects' but first or second round studs that can run block. 

Archived