Jets Needs & Top Prospects

JetNation

nfldraft

Any given off-season can define a team’s success on the field for years to come.  That is where the Jets find themselves in going into year two of the Todd Bowles/Mike Maccagnan regime.  Last year was all about spending big in free agency.  This year, with very little room under the salary cap, it will come down to making the right selections in the April 28-30 NFL Draft.

Let’s take a look at some of the areas of need for Jets in 2016 such as Outside Linebacker, Offensive Line, Tight End, Quarterback, and Running Back.  Here are some of the names being mentioned as possible choices for the Jets at number 20.

One footnote to keep in mind is that according to insiders at ESPN and NFL.com, Mike Maccagnan leans toward seniors based on their skill set and maturity.Finding an edge rusher should be a top priority on draft day.  Ideally, it would take pressure off of the Defensive Line and allow for a consistent pass rush to come from the outside.

Outside Linebacker is the Jets first need so let’s take a look at the three top prospects at this position.

• OLB: Myles Jack (UCLA Junior), he became the first player in Pac-12 history to win both Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year award in 2013, as well as being named finalist for the Paul Hornung Award as the nation’s most versatile player. He was voted second team all-conference again in 2014, as he made 88 tackles, eight for loss, intercepted one pass and broke up seven others. But Jack’s junior year was cut short by a knee injury three games in. According to reports he’s unlikely to be available when he time the Jets pick despite being a Junior coming off of a knee injury.  According to NFL.com, Jack plays a style that is similar to Navarro Bowman.
  • Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame), he tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee during the team’s late season loss to Ohio State. A 2015 consensus All-American, Smith decided to declare for the draft despite the intense rehabilitation ahead of him. He became the second player to win both the high school and college Butkus Awards as the nation’s top linebacker, joining former Notre Dame Star Manti Te’o, by leading the Irish with 113 tackles, nine of which went for losses. It was the second straight season Smith topped the defensive stat chart in tackles (112) and made nine TFLs. In his first year on campus, Smith started all 13 games, making 67 stops, 6.5 for loss.  Whether or not Smith will bounce back from his knee surgery to become the athletic, explosive defender that wowed scouts over the past three years remains to be seen, many experts are projecting him to go before the Jets are on the clock.
  • That leaves Leonard Floyd (Georgia); in his final year, Floyd led the Bulldogs in sacks for the third straight season (4.5) and tied for the team lead with 10.5 tackles for loss, earning second-team All-SEC honors. He is also a 2015 Butkus Award finalist. Floyd will probably still be on the board at number 20 and would give the Jets the edge pass rusher they need.  He is a gifted pass rusher who, according to some could tally double digit sacks. The presence of Muhammad Wilkerson (if retained), Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams on the Defensive line would allow Floyd to face several one-on-one blocking schemes which would play to his strength and make Gang Green even more formidable on defense.

Next up, I’ll take a look at the top prospects on the Offensive Line.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
M8zsj_e19AU

Click here to read the full story...

13 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

All in on Jaylon Smith.

If he slips into the teens I would consider moving up for him. The Jets don't have a lot of holes and Smith is a franchise changing type of talent if he bounces back from his injury.

Not next yr he's not . It's going to take him half of next season before he can play on that leg and the other half before he trust that leg completely

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

1. Quarterback  -  Christian Hackenberg

2. Quarterback  -  Dax Prescott

3. Quarterback  -  Jacoby Brissett

4. Quarterback  -  Kevin Hogan

5. Quarterback  - Josh Woodrum

There is no 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10. In fact there's nothing from 11 to infinity and beyond from that either.

2can play this game

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This floyd guy had 4.5 sacks last year.  Why is he considered an elite pass rusher when he could get sacks at the college level?

Because them that get paid to watch games and state their opinions on TV says so..   Or maybe it was Sosa.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

All in on Jaylon Smith.

If he slips into the teens I would consider moving up for him. The Jets don't have a lot of holes and Smith is a franchise changing type of talent if he bounces back from his injury.

The Jets are MOSTLY holes. Are you serious?

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

OLB is not the Jets biggest need. QB is a FAR bigger need. Middle LB is a bigger need in Bowles offense.

OLB, QB, & ILB ... Along with RB should all in particular be in consideration in round one but we should definitely continue with the BAP mantra Big Mac has so far , rightly so, followed and given us no indication that he will stop following 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This floyd guy had 4.5 sacks last year.  Why is he considered an elite pass rusher when he could get sacks at the college level?

I'd say more than two thirds of the time, Jaylon Smith was locking down running backs, tight ends, and even a few wideouts in coverage. He is a complete linebacker. He won't make it to 20, and it's be a steal if he did. 

49 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

OLB is not the Jets biggest need. QB is a FAR bigger need. Middle LB is a bigger need in Bowles offense.

OLB is the Jets biggest need on defense. They had Sheldon Richardson playing there last season. The Jets have Harris and they'll bring back Henderson. They are fine. The Jets need more than Mauldin at OLB. 

23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

OLB is the Jets biggest need on defense. They had Sheldon Richardson playing there last season. The Jets have Harris and they'll bring back Henderson. They are fine. The Jets need more than Mauldin at OLB. 

OK, we disagree. A fast middle linebacker that can cover, to me is more important to Bowles defense than OLB. In general. Now that changes if you find a truly elite edge rusher, but literally EVERYONE is trying to draft that player and there are far far more misses than hits at OLB. I also think the Jets window is passed and they need to almost completely rebuild. I think we will be a 4-5 win team, but could actually be worse if we try to maintain what we have and try to have a win now type team next year. I know most Jets fans would rather just be mediocre for the next couple years than actually trying to build a young, fast team that can have long term success and have the opportunity 3-4 years down the road to become an elite team with some smart FA signings. I prefer the latter. 

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OK, we disagree. A fast middle linebacker that can cover, to me is more important to Bowles defense than OLB. In general. Now that changes if you find a truly elite edge rusher, but literally EVERYONE is trying to draft that player and there are far far more misses than hits at OLB. I also think the Jets window is passed and they need to almost completely rebuild. I think we will be a 4-5 win team, but could actually be worse if we try to maintain what we have and try to have a win now type team next year. I know most Jets fans would rather just be mediocre for the next couple years than actually trying to build a young, fast team that can have long term success and have the opportunity 3-4 years down the road to become an elite team with some smart FA signings. I prefer the latter. 

That's a pretty drastic jump from disagreeing whether OLB or ILB is more important 

to

this team s*cks and will win 5 at best games next year but will be worse if we try to maintain

it also doesn't seem to make sense

isnt the accepted line of thought that teams that invest $ into HTF veterans usually win 1 or 2 more games that a similar team would that went with untested rookies and draft picks playing the same positions?

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

That's the great thing about Smith is he is talented enough to slide in or out. Just don't think he makes it to 20.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I have a hard time getting excited about a player (Jaylon Smith) who is likely going to miss his entire rookie season recovering from a major knee injury. 

Your correct, and that is the only reason he MIGHT be available at 20.  IMO this kid is good enough to off set the risk.  if the knee prohibits him from fulfilling his full talent, then it was a bad pick.  If he hits, the Jets will have a Pro Bowl type guy for the next 10 years.

I'd rather take the risk on a star, then a Meh player, who might be a bust in 3 years any how

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Your correct, and that is the only reason he MIGHT be available at 20.  IMO this kid is good enough to off set the risk.  if the knee prohibits him from fulfilling his full talent, then it was a bad pick.  If he hits, the Jets will have a Pro Bowl type guy for the next 10 years.

I'd rather take the risk on a star, then a Meh player, who might be a bust in 3 years any how

Wasn't Smith doing the exact same thing Manti Te'o did in that defense? 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Also, is Bosa going to be any good? 

jaylon smith was a 5 star that everyone wanted!! Teo was a fraud from beginning.  the severe injury clearly impacts smith. a good team like denver sea cheats can afford to let him redshirt 1 yr, most teams cannot.  There is also a chance he may never be the same player.

Archived