Albert Haynesworth on condition: 'A lot of things, I just can't remember'

Gas2No99

Albert Haynesworth on condition: 'A lot of things, I just can't remember'

• kuharsky_paul_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Paul KuharskyESPN Staff Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Brain aneurysms nearly killed former Tennessee Titans and Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth in November 2014, he told Nashville radio station 104.5 The Zone on Thursday.

"Nobody really knows: I almost died," he said while attending the Ohio Valley Conference women's basketball tournament at Municipal Auditorium. "I had two brain aneurysms that were nearly rupturing. I went and talked to my doctor in Florida, and he was like, 'Man, your blood pressure is through the roof. I'm going to admit you.' They did a lot of tests and found the aneurysm that was rupturing at that point."

Surgery resulted in an 11-day stay in intensive care at a Fort Lauderdale hospital, he said.

"I've been OK. It's really hard to remember, and I'm not saying that just because of the concussion thing," he said, referring to the number of former NFL players suffering from the effects of head trauma. "A lot of things, I just can't remember. I don't feel as sharp as I used to as far as problem-solving and answering questions and things.

"It sounds crazy, but sometimes, writing my own name, I kind of forget the signature of how I normally write. Or sending long texts, my words get backwards. It's crazy, but hopefully as time goes on, I get better."

A star at the University of Tennessee, Haynesworth was taken by the Titans with the 15th pick in the first round of the 2002 draft. He recorded 24 sacks as a defensive tackle in seven seasons with the Titans and turned consecutive selections as a first-team All-Pro into a gigantic free-agent contract with Washington in 2009.

Haynesworth finished his 10-year career in 2011 following short stints with New England and Tampa Bay.

He said there is no definitive conclusion regarding what brought on the brain issues.

"They can't say. They said I could have had it, but they said football definitely didn't help. I don't really know. I have no idea. I'm not a doctor," Haynesworth said. "I don't want to blame it on football, and I don't want to say, 'Hey, it didn't have anything to do with it.' "

Just thinking off the cuff...For one year...he was one of the most dominant defensive players of all time.  

At least in the post 00's era, Haynesworth and Kris Jenkins are the two most dominant DTs I've seen. At their best and for, say, one year injury free, I think I'd take those two over anybody else...over Sapp, Suh, trying to think of more but....without looking at it too close I feel like you could probably add 90's players as well ...

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Might explain a lot about him or maybe he was just lazy.  sad story either way.

Something else was going on there as well. Dude seemed to have pretty serious anger issues as well.

It's funny how karma works.

I wonder if he remembers almost blinding Andre Gurode with his cleat, or paralyzing a dude in an accident because he was going over 100 on a Tennessee interstate in a Ferrari.

Or if he remembers knocking up that woman in New York and then refusing to give any sort of child assistance or be a father at all to the kid literally right after he signed a $100 million deal with the Skins.

**** Albert Haynesworth.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's funny how karma works.

I wonder if he remembers almost blinding Andre Gurode with his cleat, or paralyzing a dude in an accident because he was going over 100 on a Tennessee interstate in a Ferrari.

Or if he remembers knocking up that woman in New York and then refusing to give any sort of child assistance or be a father at all to the kid literally right after he signed a $100 million deal with the Skins.

**** Albert Haynesworth.

Gotta agree here. I recall how dominant & dirty he was in Tennessee, got a RIDICULOUS (and the first) $100Million NFL contract in Washington, and then it was just a litany of off-field issues that tarnished what could have been a great NFL career as a DLineman. 

Karma is a mutha and a hell of a payback. Phuk him!

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

Just thinking off the cuff...For one year...he was one of the most dominant defensive players of all time.  

At least in the post 00's era, Haynesworth and Kris Jenkins are the two most dominant DTs I've seen. At their best and for, say, one year injury free, I think I'd take those two over anybody else...over Sapp, Suh, trying to think of more but....without looking at it too close I feel like you could probably add 90's players as well ...

Yep.  Unblockable one on one.  People here cream over Mo Wilkerson.  Kris Jenkins in 2008 was a much better player than Mo.

35 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yep.  Unblockable one on one.  People here cream over Mo Wilkerson.  Kris Jenkins in 2008 was a much better player than Mo.

Agreed. When healthy Kris Jenkins was in a different league than Wilkerson. Wilkerson is very good, Jenkins was dominant. 

Aneurysms are weak spots on your inner tubes (small arteries) that then bubble out and can burst open spilling out high pressure blood.  I think it's very unlikely that repeated head trauma would result in brain aneurysms.

A healthy Kris Jenkins was stunning.

Agreed. When healthy Kris Jenkins was in a different league than Wilkerson. Wilkerson is very good, Jenkins was dominant. 

I'll never forget the game against BUF when he just swatted 2 lineman like rag dolls. The announcer say "I'm Kris Jenkins and you're not!" When they showed the replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I'll never forget the game against BUF when he just swatted 2 lineman like rag dolls. The announcer say "I'm Kris Jenkins and you're not!" When they showed the replay.

On 3/4/2016 at 8:19 AM, HessStation said:

Kris would have been one of the greats if he could have stayed healthy.

Suh is over rated. Loved it when Cam Newton called him Donkeykong Suh.

Haynesworth stole money.

Reggie White says hello remember me?

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Kris would have been one of the greats if he could have stayed healthy.

Suh is over rated. Loved it when Cam Newton called him Donkeykong Suh.

Haynesworth stole money.

Reggie White says hello remember me?

Yep, but if you're going to consider White a DE, you have John Randle and Cortez Kennedy on that 90's all decade team.  I'm at least considering taking 08 and beginning of 09Kris Jenkins over both those players for a season. And 07/08 Haynesworth for that matter. It's at least a conversation.

Also, don't forget the year Carolina went to the Super Bowl Jenkins was considered the best DT in the league. He gets hurt, puts on 40 pounds and goes to the Jets and becomes the best NT in the league. 

Pretty impressive career and an automatic HOF if not for injuries.

On 3/5/2016 at 3:11 AM, Snell41 said:

Here's one against Kevin Mawae... 

Archived