Mehta goes full Mehta with Brick article

GoingToMyGraveGreen

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets have leverage. Because Brick can't make what he stands to make right now.

yeah well you know that's like your opinion man 

seriously though that's not a fact. It's certainly not something Brick and his agent would agree is the truth. They would say we agreed upon a contract, you got years of my client at the lower salary and here we are. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

honestly JIF most people live in that world. I don't have a contract. They can fire me tomorrow or I could leave. We all pretty much work "for now." The organization saying it is not exactly ideal but it is factual. 

That's fine.  I'd be pretty upset if my company threw that caveat in there after 9 successful years and everything I've sacrificed for them.

It's funny, my entire business revolves around contractors...I'd have a hard time attracting more if I threw that little tidbit out there describing one of my resources, overpaid or not.

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If you're good at your job, it doesn't matter how you feel. Even in corporate America, you live and die on your merits. There are no feelings, just what can you do for the company.

My company has feelings.  We care about others and would never publicly say that about an employee. 

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Welcome to the real world of business. Enjoy the ride. Just like the rest of us.

I'm brand new to this thing called business. Never heard of it. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

seriously though that's not a fact. It's certainly not something Brick and his agent would agree is the truth. They would say we agreed upon a contract, you got years of my client at the lower salary and here we are. 

And then the Jets can cut him, and he'll see none of that money. If he takes a paycut, he'll see some of it, probably more than what he can get in the open market. 

Come on bit, you are naive to think that is the way salary negotiations work in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

My opinion is all that matters. That is what having the ability to lock threads and delete posts gives you. Kidding...

Brick will turn 33 this season. He has a lot of money at stake here. I think, don't quote me, he would get paid 20 million over the next two seasons in salary, roster and workout bonuses. I didn't look his contract up but I remember it being something like that.

So if the Jets approach him and look to cut a deal, after all the other money dries up for other teams, the Jets have the leverage. And it isn't just my opinion because that is why the Jets are doing it this way.

The Jets can bring Brick back on a modified deal and save millions. Brick will make millions more on this modified deal than he would if he hits the open market at some point before the season begins. Insert leverage smiley here.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So if the Jets approach him and look to cut a deal, after all the other money dries up for other teams, the Jets have the leverage. And it isn't just my opinion because that is why the Jets are doing it this way. 

I guess that's a possibility. But the devil is in the details for example how much of a pay cut are they asking? And how little could he get from another team?  And how much would a veteran replacement be, vs the dead money of cutting Brick?  

These differences might not be so huge. For example if the Jets want him to take 7 and the Giants are willing to pay 8, it's not in Brick's interest to take the pay cut. There's still a market for this player on name recognition alone. 

I think the Jets are waiting because they don't have any other options right now. a Pay cut discussion is a non starter if the player won't blink. Right now the Jets don't have any other options so Brick doesn't have to blink. They literally don't have a replacement. These pay cut discussions the team needs to have another option before the player will take it seriously.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Imagine if your employer publicly stated that you're a part of the organization "for now".

How would you feel?

How would your co-workers feel?

How would potential recruits feel?

lol

Pay me 14 million dollars a year and I'd feel swell.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Every time Brick has come up this off-season, this image is what comes to mind for me... him whiffing on this pass pro is why that INT happened. Awful.

That and the 3rd & 17 Ike Taylor strip-6 in AFCC.

Odd coincidence those were our last two hopeful seasons.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How does this imp keep his job? Really, he's just awful.

He's not funny, he's not smart, he's not insightful, and it's obvious we have a wealth of fans on this site that understand the game infinitely better than this self-serving agitator. 

What's worse is why anyone reads his stuff.  Or why these threads start.

Just ignore the dude.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Logically, Brick is overpaid and should be approached about restructuring.  Lets leave this article and Mehta out of it for a second.  Mac and Bowles have both said, "for now" when addressing Brick's status with the team.  Literally zero reason to do that and it's respectful to Brick. 

You are a fan of coddling players it seems. A sensitive soul. To react to the  "For now" comment as you are doing borders on the melodramatic.

Geez. You must have loved Rex pumping up every player,  in particular the ones who were chronic under achievers, just like Brick has become. His pass protection skills have declined tremendously and at times he is a liability out there.

I don't blame Bowles one bit for his comment, in fact I applaud it. Brick sucked last season and you can't sugar coat that. Brick's declining protection skills reduce his value to way below what his contract gives him.  The final INT by Fitz in Buffalo that sealed the loss was because Brick couldn't maintain his block and Fitz had to  throw under unnecessary pressure.

$14 million?  Not worth even half of  that.  He really should be cut,  but we  have no replacement.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

You are a fan of coddling players it seems. A sensitive soul. To react to the  "For now" comment as you are doing borders on the melodramatic.

Geez. You must have loved Rex pumping up every player,  in particular the ones who were chronic under achievers, just like Brick has become. His pass protection skills have declined tremendously and at times he is a liability out there.

I don't blame Bowles one bit for his comment, in fact I applaud it. Brick sucked last season and you can't sugar coat that. Brick's declining protection skills reduce his value to way below what his contract gives him.  The final INT by Fitz in Buffalo that sealed the loss was because Brick couldn't maintain his block and Fitz had to  throw under unnecessary pressure.

$14 million?  Not worth even half of  that.  He really should be cut,  but we  have no replacement.

Cool.  I like you.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I just dont think you should leave someone out there like that...there is no reason for it.  What's the harm of just saying "Brick is on the team". 

"For now" isnt necessary.  It's wrong.  You really think that sends a good message to the team or potential FA's?

Absolutely the right message. Perform up to your contact or be gone. This could be  Bowles way of saying  that brick was atrocious,  and it won't be tolerated.  Something Brick apologists here refuse to acknowledge: h was terrible. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Absolutely the right message. Perform up to your contact or be gone. This could be  Bowles way of saying  that brick was atrocious,  and it won't be tolerated.  Something Brick apologists here refuse to acknowledge: h was terrible. 

The OL gave up the least amount of sacks in the league and produce 1 of 6 1,000 yards rushers.  He's terrible trash though.

P.S. I still like you, a lot.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

The OL gave up the least amount of sacks in the league and produce 1 of 6 1,000 yards rushers.  He's terrible trash though.

P.S. I still like you, a lot.

Fitz's mobility made the numbers look better. Brick whiffed so often last season in pass protection that it made my head spin. Plus he was never a stand out run blocker to begin with.  Put a statue out there and Brick may get him killed.

22 hours ago, KRL said:

I know business in the NFL is cutthroat, but certain players on the Jets
(Brick, Mangold & Harris) should be treated with a level of respect because
of longevity.  If Maccagnan & Bowles haven't spoken to Brick about the
possibility of having to re-work his contract they're wrong.  The man hasn't
missed a snap in 10 years of football a quick conference call is the least
they could do

21 hours ago, JiF said:

The issue is, if this article is accurate, they havent even approached Brick.  Instead, they just keep letting everyone but Brick know that he's part of the team for now.

That's disrespecting him.  No other way to slice it. 

Uh, what if they don't want to rework his contract until/unless the day finally comes where they find that their choices are Brick or his backup? What if they want to draft a LT, or bring in a better/younger LT in free agency? Are they not allowed to try to improve at the team, or are they only permitted to do so after first cutting a starter they have under contract? If that's the route the team is seeking, of course the answer is they first find a replacement, then they let him go. No responsible GM unnecessarily cuts a player first, then goes out to negotiate with FAs who know you're desperate, or then goes into the draft with a key positional hole that wasn't addressed in FA. 

Or are you suggesting the team owes it to Ferguson to see what they could work out later on, if the team ends up unsuccessful in trying to replace him?

Maccagnan phone call in March: "Brick I want to cut you in favor of someone else younger, cheaper, and better. But if I'm unsuccessful in finding such a replacement in the draft or free agency, I'd then like you call you up in May to ask you to take a pay cut." [*then makes slurpy noise as he sips his coffee*] 

Think for a moment how ridiculous that sounds. Other than telling Maccagnan, "Go f**k yourself, ginger," what do you think Ferguson's reply would be?

Archived