Report: Jets Have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith

JetNation

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Better question is how about Fitzpatrick coming off a career year he could be the starter on any team in the NFL yet no one is signing him,why? 

That statement again just reemphasizes how Terrible geno is... he can't even beat out someone that no one else wants.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jetsons said:

That statement again just reemphasizes how Terrible geno is... he can't even beat out someone that no one else wants.

Todd Bowles named him the starting QB prior to the locker room altercation. 

Geno was 8-8 with a much worse team than Fitzpatrick FAILED to take to the playoffs with.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Better question is how about Fitzpatrick coming off a career year he could be the starter on any team in the NFL yet no one is signing him,why? 

That's a money issue and you know it.

Put money aside and Fitz would easily start on the Jets, Browns, Rams and Niners.  Geno would not start for any team.  That's the issue.  The Jets know what they have and are doing their best to make sure they're not starting Geno.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Put money aside and Fitz would easily start on the Jets, Browns, Rams and Niners.  Geno would not start for any team.  That's the issue.  The Jets know what they have and are doing their best to make sure they're not starting Geno.

So 31 other NFL teams are in salary cap hell like the Jets 

Fitzpatrick the great is available YET NOT 1 TEAM IS SIGNING HIM 

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

If Fitz were to come back for 1.6mil (that'd take $ out of the equation), yes my guess is he'd be the starter.  However it's not out of the question that at some point Geno would take over and surpass Fitz.  It was the team's original plan in the first place.

Just now, Mike135 said:

If Fitz were to come back for 1.6mil (that'd take $ out of the equation), yes my guess is he'd be the starter.  However it's not out of the question that at some point Geno would take over and surpass Fitz.  It was the team's original plan in the first place.

maybe last year that was the plan.  but does anyone really think mccags wants geno to be the starter to groom?  he wants his own guy(s).  tony pauline tweeted the jets are looking hard at qbs.  this whole geno/fitz thing is old, every new regime wants its own guy at qb and geno is unfortunately for him a carryover from a bad gm who the new gm has no allegiance to and has 2 years of mostly bad tape.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

maybe last year that was the plan.  but does anyone really think mccags wants geno to be the starter to groom?  he wants his own guy(s).  tony pauline tweeted the jets are looking hard at qbs.  this whole geno/fitz thing is old, every new regime wants its own guy at qb and geno is unfortunately for him a carryover from a bad gm who the new gm has no allegiance to and has 2 years of mostly bad tape.

Could be true, but there's no one else on the horizon I see.  If Geno gets a chance, he better take advantage of it.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Could be true, but there's no one else on the horizon I see.  If Geno gets a chance, he better take advantage of it.

that's why i think they wind up with cook for better or worse, a prototypical pocket passer who has the measurables.  i like him based on watching big ten football, but i can't speak to any off the field stuff.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Joe, you just don't get it man.  I applaud your tenacity, but it's not about making the playoffs.  It's about having somewhat respectable performances.  Also making sure the media doesn't write comical articles about us. 

Playoffs?  Who needs that BS?  More cold games?  Eh, we'll pass.  Play decently during the regular season but make sure to never make the playoffs.  

And who is, hands down, the best option at QB for that?  That's right... Fitz.  Let's lock him up for 3+ years.  Plus pay him a ton so we don't bring in other players who could ruin our plan by potentially getting us in the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL had me wondering 

are you 2 twins?

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that's why i think they wind up with cook for better or worse, a prototypical pocket passer who has the measurables.  i like him based on watching big ten football, but i can't speak to any off the field stuff.

I don't follow college ball, but heck if the kid has promise, I'm all for it.

I didn't want to draft Geno, but since he's here and has shown he can win with complete $hit around him, I want to see what he can do with a quality offense around him.

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

"Again" being "named" the starter does NOT make you the starter... Question, who was the "starting" QB of the NYJ last season???... When you answer that, then this redundancy can end.

Yes, actually it does.  

Unless you're desperately trying to convince people that being named the starter makes you the backup.  

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Like I said, cherry pick statements.  LAST WEEK He said, Geno was an option if Fitz doesn't return and that he would be comfortable with that. He also said he was impressed how Geno handled the season and circumstances last year.  HE SAID THAT LAST WEEK; NOT 4 or 5 months ago.  Why that has no relevance to you is beyond me. Okay, I done here. 

Was that around  The same time Mac said they were not shopping Mo?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

So 31 other NFL teams are in salary cap hell like the Jets 

Fitzpatrick the great is available YET NOT 1 TEAM IS SIGNING HIM 

You realize your statement makes no sense, right?

It's Fitz salary demands is the reason other teams haven't signed him.  We already had stories on that.  It has nothing to do with salary cap hell.

Just now, SMC said:

You realize your statement makes no sense, right?

It's Fitz salary demands is the reason other teams haven't signed him.  We already had stories on that.  It has nothing to do with salary cap hell.

Ok then they arent signing him because he sucks is what you are saying

28 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Deflect much? Now it is Mac we are talking about?  Boy you keep moving the goal posts.   

I'm trying to help you realize that the things coaches and execs say in March means nothing.  Everything is about posture.  Follow the league for a few more years and you'll see what I'm talking about.  

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'm trying to help you realize that the things coaches and execs say in March means nothing.  Everything is about posture.  Follow the league for a few more years and you'll see what I'm talking about.  

Thanks but I don't need your "help" so please keep your condescending bullsh*t to yourself.  I totally understand; yet you are willing accept what you want to believe to be true and whatever goes against your agenda is posture. Man give it a rest already. I don't even know why I am bothering responding. Actually yes I do; I don't need some internet genius to school me on how "the real world works".  Some Mother****ers, I tell you... Smdh. 

26 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Thanks but I don't need your "help" so please keep your condescending bullsh*t to yourself.  I totally understand; yet you are willing accept what you want to believe to be true and whatever goes against your agenda is posture. Man give it a rest already. I don't even know why I am bothering responding. Actually yes I do; I don't need some internet genius to school me on how "the real world works".  Some Mother****ers, I tell you... Smdh. 

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself.  On the one hand, you're saying you "totally understand" but at the same time you're taking a mid-March comment from Bowles in which he says Geno is possibly a possibility and treating it as gospel.

No need for the profanity either, it's a football message board.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself.  On the one hand, you're saying you "totally understand" but at the same time you're taking a mid-March comment from Bowles in which he says Geno is possibly a possibility and treating it as gospel.

I apologize for the profanity but no need to talk down to people either.  And there is no contradiction.  Bowles made some very clear comments last week; you CHOOSE to interpret them in a way to assume he is "posturing".  When I called you on it, you bring up Mac and his comments which have NOTHING to do with what Bowles said.  Bowles simply said, I will repeat AGAIN since you are clearly not getting it.  Geno is an OPTION if Fitz is not re-signed and Bowles was IMPRESSED with how Geno handled himself last season.  THAT IS IT.  HE DID NOT SAY HE WAS THE ONLY OPTION SO WHAT IS THE FREAKING ISSUE??  No need to read anything else into what he said and no need to create any straw man arguments.  

That would make you a hypocrite cause you stole a baseless presumption from another amateur hack, turned it into an 1100-word pile of dung, called it a "report," and treated it as gospel.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Except when it's what you want to hear, then they don't even have to say it.  Of not spin it.  If Macc changed his mind or even if he lied about Mo it somehow means he's making things up when he discusses every and all players.  

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles named him the starting QB prior to the locker room altercation. 

Geno was 8-8 with a much worse team than Fitzpatrick FAILED to take to the playoffs with.

For the 3rd Time... being "named" the starter means jack if you are NOT the starter... Again... who was the starting QB for the NYJ last season???

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, actually it does.  

Unless you're desperately trying to convince people that being named the starter makes you the backup.  

uhmm... NO, it doesn't... words are just that... actions are just that... Who was the QB of the NYJ last season???... actions speak louder than words.

7 minutes ago, jetsons said:

uhmm... NO, it doesn't... words are just that... actions are just that... Who was the QB of the NYJ last season???... actions speak louder than words.

Yeah ok, coaches announce starters for shlts and giggles.  It's all meaningress.....you can argue that the Jets have no starters, it's a ridiculous premise. The depth chart?  They're bored at night.  He was named starter, wasn't actually the starter, sure, makes sense.

You're named a starter you're the starter until or if you lose the job.  Ultimately he lost his starting position. 

I genuinely couldn't believe there was an actual clamour for Smith to play last season around here. 

I'd like to think he's improved and to be fair he probably has, but he was so far away from being at the required standard. I think Sanchez's injury didn't help him, although he probably would have taken over after a few games anyways - He's the very example of a QB you'd want to sit and develop a few years before throwing him in. He was so out of his depth it was actually painful at times, on a bad team too.

He should make a solid career backup, but never anything more. His talent gives him a chance of winning any game, but he just lacks any sort of awareness or consistency. He's not unlike Sanchez, probably more talented physically but less assured mentally, which is saying something. 

9 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I apologize for the profanity but no need to talk down to people either.  And there is no contradiction.  Bowles made some very clear comments last week; you CHOOSE to interpret them in a way to assume he is "posturing".  When I called you on it, you bring up Mac and his comments which have NOTHING to do with what Bowles said.  Bowles simply said, I will repeat AGAIN since you are clearly not getting it.  Geno is an OPTION if Fitz is not re-signed and Bowles was IMPRESSED with how Geno handled himself last season.  THAT IS IT.  HE DID NOT SAY HE WAS THE ONLY OPTION SO WHAT IS THE FREAKING ISSUE??  No need to read anything else into what he said and no need to create any straw man arguments.  

We should just agree to disagree at this point.

My position is that coaches and GM's do a lot of BSing this time of year.  Based on Bowles' refusal to play Geno when Fitz needed surgery while naming Fitz the starter immediately after the season leads me to be believe he has little faith in Geno.  As others have also said, actions speak louder than words.

Here's to hoping whoever plays QB for the Jets next season doesn't suck.

Archived