Woody denies link between football and CTE

RoadFan

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Disagree with the former. Anyone who has ever watched or played football knows it's a collision sport and injuries are a serious likelihood. But also between lax helmet technology development

saying it's just an injury is being reductive. We aren't talking about a broken leg. Where the bone is out of the skin and everyone knows what's happening. A guy gets a concussion and you don't really see it. He doesn't even really know while it happens. 

It used to be you got hurt they said rub some dirt on it and you get back out there. Jack Youngblood played with a broken leg. Fair enough. But it's not like 20 years later Jack Youngblood kills himself because of that injury. 

Concussions obviously, are a different type of injury. We know that now. We didn't know that when I was in high school 20+ years ago. getting back out there and being a tough guy is the worst possible thing to do. Society didn't know how risky these injuries are until very recently. 

and by the way there's no helmet technology that will ever cure this problem. the brain rattles against the skull, it's the deceleration, and there's nothing about a better helmet that can change the basic physics of the situation. 

to call all this PC is playing fast and loose with the facts. It wasn't PC police when they discovered smoking caused cancer. It's science and it's true whether we believe in it or not (NDT) 

CTE, according to some neurological experts,  is not only about "obvious" concussions.  People seem to focus on that alone, when a player is clearly concussed.  It is also about the regular,  every play contact, often equivalent to multiple fender-bender car accidents that jar the brain.

I am really surprised at the lack of Jets fans offended by Woody's dismissive remark about a serious health risk in the game.

One does not need to be a Pulmonologist to acknowledge smoking is bad for the lungs.  Even a "layman" can say that with confidence.

SMH

First I wold urge all of you who have not seen it ,to rent "concussion ". Not for the movie or the actors but for the information and undeniable facts.

The human brain was never meant to be slammed against the human skull over and over and over.

This is a fact and it's not just about football, just generally in life, In any sport or any action where this action is taking place CTE will result.

In so many areas of medical science there is still volumes that we don't know about the workings of the human brain.

For any owners not to acknowledge the link between collisions ,concussions and CTE is totally foolish.

Having said all of that, I love football above all the sports I watch and follow. An we as fans and everyone who is involved in the sport from Pop Warner right to the pros must demand that everything that can be done must be done to limit the long term damage to these players.

These young men must be able to retire from the game with reasonable expectations of long-term good health.

By the same token, players must understand the risks they take when they play violent sport like football. The choice must be there's ,they have to decide if the reward is worth the risk.

In closing I just like to add, the NFL knew long ago about this problem but the dollar is always King to both the owners and the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/nflpa-president-offended-by-remarks-from-some-owners-regarding-brain-trauma/

NFLPA president “offended” by remarks from some owners regarding brain trauma

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2016, 8:43 PM EDT

Seven years ago, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith admitted that the union at one point was part of the problem regarding pro football’s handling of concussions.

“For far too long, our former players were left adrift,” Smith said at a Congressional hearing in 2009. “We were complicit in the lack of leadership and accountability, but that ends now. I am here again to make it clear that our commitment is unwavering.”

The commitment includes freely admitting that which needs to be admitted; specifically, the existence of a link between football and possible long-term brain damage.

Appearing on Wednesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio and NBCSN, recently re-elected NFLPA president (and Bengals tackle) Eric Winston reacted to the recent stew of comments from the league office and various owners with a strong reaction to some of the statements from those aligned with the league.

“I think like [NFL executive V.P. of player health and safety] Jeff Miller said, I think we think there’s a link [between football and Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy],” Winston said. “Now what does that link mean? The one thing that we’ve always stood for and the one thing we will continue to stand for is the science. Where is the science telling us to go, what’s the science telling us to do and how can we help move that science along? . . . We’re going to keep pushing that, we’re going to keep pushing those boundaries. Not just in prevention, not just in treatments but also, ‘OK, what is it and what exactly is it doing and how is it affecting us?’ And I think that’s important.

“But I also think it’s important to outline just some of the ridiculous comments that were made. I was offended personally by some of these owners’ comments. You know, just take an aspirin or that football isn’t that dangerous or this and that. I mean, obviously, we know some of the risk going into it. We understand that it’s a contact sport, and we’re doing everything we can to make it as safe as possible but some of the flipping comments that were made from the owners were, like I said, rather offensive and kind of tarnish I think what we’re trying to do in this health and safety phase.” 

MY TAKE: 

I pointed out how offensive Woody's "dismissive" comments "as a layman" were on the link between CTE and the NFL were.  I pointed out that one does not need to be an expert in neurology to say with confidence that NFL hits clearly can have a devastating impact on the brain, just as one does not need to be a Pulmonologist to acknowledge the effect of smoking on the lungs.

The head of the NFLPA clearly agrees with me yet I was ridiculed by many Jet fans, and JN moderators alike.  This is my "I told you so."  I am grossly offended that the owner of our team took such a sub-human, attorney like stance.  This is not high horse syndrome.  This is about being human first, businessman a distant second.

"I was offended personally by some of these owners’ comments. You know, just take an aspirin or that football isn’t that dangerous or this and that." This is the statement of what Winston said personally offended him.

I'm no card-carrying member of the Woody Johnson fan club, but when did Woody say (or even hint) that football isn't dangerous, let alone suggest that players just take an aspirin? 

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/nflpa-president-offended-by-remarks-from-some-owners-regarding-brain-trauma/

Seven years ago, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith admitted that the union at one point was part of the problem regarding pro football’s handling of concussions.

“For far too long, our former players were left adrift,” Smith said at a Congressional hearing in 2009. “We were complicit in the lack of leadership and accountability, but that ends now. I am here again to make it clear that our commitment is unwavering.”

The commitment includes freely admitting that which needs to be admitted; specifically, the existence of a link between football and possible long-term brain damage.

Appearing on Wednesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio and NBCSN, recently re-elected NFLPA president (and Bengals tackle) Eric Winston reacted to the recent stew of comments from the league office and various owners with a strong reaction to some of the statements from those aligned with the league.

“I think like [NFL executive V.P. of player health and safety] Jeff Miller said, I think we think there’s a link [between football and Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy],” Winston said. “Now what does that link mean? The one thing that we’ve always stood for and the one thing we will continue to stand for is the science. Where is the science telling us to go, what’s the science telling us to do and how can we help move that science along? . . . We’re going to keep pushing that, we’re going to keep pushing those boundaries. Not just in prevention, not just in treatments but also, ‘OK, what is it and what exactly is it doing and how is it affecting us?’ And I think that’s important.

“But I also think it’s important to outline just some of the ridiculous comments that were made. I was offended personally by some of these owners’ comments. You know, just take an aspirin or that football isn’t that dangerous or this and that. I mean, obviously, we know some of the risk going into it. We understand that it’s a contact sport, and we’re doing everything we can to make it as safe as possible but some of the flipping comments that were made from the owners were, like I said, rather offensive and kind of tarnish I think what we’re trying to do in this health and safety phase.” 

MY TAKE: 

I pointed out how offensive Woody's "dismissive" comments "as a layman" were on the link between CTE and the NFL were.  I pointed out that one does not need to be an expert in neurology to say with confidence that NFL hits clearly can have a devastating impact on the brain, just as one does not need to be a Pulmonologist to acknowledge the effect of smoking on the lungs.

The head of the NFLPA clearly agrees with me yet I was ridiculed by many Jet fans, and JN moderators alike.  This is my "I told you so."  I am grossly offended that the owner of our team took such a sub-human, attorney like stance.  This is not high horse syndrome.  This is about being human first, businessman a distant second.

Wow, union head decides that any remark that doesn't back his constituency, sight unseen, is offesnsive.  

Who would ever guess that the head of NFLPA would go to bat for his players, even when there is nothing to defend.

were this high on his ability to act morally when he appeals player suspensions. As in Brady's case? 

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

My Take:

Read my first post again. All I said was the title of the article doesn't match what Woody said. Woody said he isn't a position to answer this, which I think means from a medical standpoint.

I just don't share the same outrage as you. I don't want any players getting hurt. I have a son that just finished playing college football. I watched him bleed on the sidelines of a college game and get patched up and put back in. I took him to meet with the doctor's and get surgery because of football injuries.

He knew the risks going in. I knew the risks going in.

All that said, I am not a big fan of Woody Johnson. But I can't imagine a scenario where he would be subhuman if any of his players received a serious injury that was life threatening.

23 hours ago, RoadFan said:

MY TAKE: 

Instead of pointless announcements about another nonguaranteed free agent contract,  Smith and the union could push for better long term care for current players in the future and retirees right now his chief priority. And really the NFL would be shamed into doing so if he made the effort. Smith wouldn't have to trade much to benefit all players past and present. The media would sing his praises and carry his water. Alas, he's made a lot of noise but done substantively nothing. Whether Smith is offended by an bland offhanded statement by an owner who is not a doctor -WGAF, and typical. 

The only correct response when baited by a question like this is "I'm not a doctor guys, I'm sorry but what I can tell you is that the safety of our players in our primary concern." Of course billionaires can basically do/say whatever they want.

Archived