Harry Potter Mafia - Game Thread

Leelou

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

About this. Nobody is going to be drown out, if nobody is even showing up in the thread. It's one thing if DPR and I derailed other discussions or cases, but all we did was go after each other since nobody else was doing anything. Also, how do you know neither of us are scum? What if DPR is scum who I got to come after an lynch on me by playing to make myself and easy target for them? I've used this method in the past, and he's rusty... so, what if the bickering is actually me smacking scum around?

Spare us the grandstanding about bickering, these games don't work without activity.

It's a form of tunnel visioning.  One or both of you could very well be scum.  But focusing on each other for like 3 straight pages accomplishes little.  DPR was just your shiny object since CTM wasn't around to bicker with you.  Only thing it did was get Smash to chime in.

In any case I read the situation as town on town violence.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't have to "act" likes it's a disadvantage.  The mods confirmed that.  Leelou stated earlier that only one player had earned points so far in the day.  That has likely changed since then, but had we just gone and lynched any old player to get to night, the houses wouldn't have had points to use. 

Yes, on LeeMod's statement but your conclusion is simply not true.  You don't know what end of day points are accumulated or how.  Lynching X player could cause the accumulation of points.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Yes, on LeeMod's statement but your conclusion is simply not true.  You don't know what end of day points are accumulated or how.  Lynching X player could cause the accumulation of points.

Of course we don't know that, but many times Leelou has said "Get to posting".  Meaning activity, in some way, generates points.   Stretching out day as long as possible is the only pro-town move in that case.  You're advocating the opposite because you're probably scum. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a form of tunnel visioning.  One or both of you could very well be scum.  But focusing on each other for like 3 straight pages accomplishes little.  DPR was just your shiny object since CTM wasn't around to bicker with you.  Only thing it did was get Smash to chime in.

In any case I read the situation as town on town violence.

That's fine. 

Smash is going to go mental that you suggested that we made him talk, and not him making us talk. You know that right?

It did more than that too - it detracted from JC's train, which I assume was DPR's goal, and with that came SMC trying to quietly unvote JC, Smash flip-flop-reverse-a-plopping from voting JC to voting me, and Lily slipping into vote Crusher. Also, Wombat after grandstanding about people not scum hunting, seemed to not give a sh*t about scum hunting.

Melee's are not bad for the game, you just have to be able to watch the wreck while also watching the way other cars weave around it.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course we don't know that, but many times Leelou has said "Get to posting".  Meaning activity, in some way, generates points.   Stretching out day as long as possible is the only pro-town move in that case.  You're advocating the opposite because you're probably scum. 

No, "get to posting" may simply mean that LeeMod is bored.

Stretching out the day as long as possible leads to a deadline speed lynch.  So how is that pro-town?  I'm not advocating rushing to night, but acting like wanting to move things along is scummy is counter intuitive in a game like this. 

Admittedly, the activity = points mechanic sort of quashes my theory about hiding = scummy.  Scum needs to work just as hard or harder than everyone else to earn points. 

Hence the reason DPR has been trying to pick at me like a sore since D1.

Re-read his game so far. If activity is part of the formula for point accumulation, then how better to do it than to troll me into arguments? The added benefit is if I'm actually on-point with my scum hunting, then nobody is going to listen to me because you guys put blinders on when I bicker. Win-win.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Admittedly, the activity = points mechanic sort of quashes my theory about hiding = scummy.  Scum needs to work just as hard or harder than everyone else to earn points. 

Ya think?

Also, if activity = points, then naturally scum is going to want me lynched. The combination of how well I've scum hunted lately and the amount of points I could generate for my house is a direct threat.

It's all about me. ME ME ME MEEEEE!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wombat has already pointed out the fallacy in this line of thinking.  Rushing to night prevents traditional scum-hunting and gathering information.  We should be looking to root out scum, and along the way try to accumulate powers.  You can't pick up points from the mods without playing the game anyways, and thus there's zero benefit to town to rush things.

Are you a Retard Avenger too?

Didn't you just scold me for bickering?

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

No, "get to posting" may simply mean that LeeMod is bored.

Every time she's said "get to posting" it's been in the context of earning points.  What would be the most likely way players earn points?  Rushing to lynch a specific person?  Or playing things out? 

Every time she's said "get to posting" it's been in the context of earning points.  What would be the most likely way players earn points?  Rushing to lynch a specific person?  Or playing things out? 

And you just admitted that scum benefit from playing things out to accumulate points

And yet, there was no kill N1.  And the 80 point Avada Kedavra would seem to be foolproof to me given Leelou's description.  Make of that what you will.  Don't exactly like Deckerfan refusing the noobie pass and then putting a lampshade on active lurking btw.  Reads like someone trying to look cool rather than providing content.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Hence the reason DPR has been trying to pick at me like a sore since D1.

Re-read his game so far. If activity is part of the formula for point accumulation, then how better to do it than to troll me into arguments? The added benefit is if I'm actually on-point with my scum hunting, then nobody is going to listen to me because you guys put blinders on when I bicker. Win-win.

Please. Sulky Ape is sulky.

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

And you just admitted that scum benefit from playing things out to accumulate points

Both town and scum do.  But scum would obviously benefit from town playing lazy and not earning points as well.  Rushing to lynch someone is the worst possible thing for town, yet its something you advocated. 

1 minute ago, D P R said:

Please. Sulky Ape is sulky.

Don't mistake this for sulking. I'm just referencing a known behavioral pattern, it's the downside risk of me amping up the interrogation... there's a fine line between making the game compelling and making it unreadable. Usually don't know where it is until you've crossed it. I don't see harm in speaking candidly about it.

Both town and scum do.  But scum would obviously benefit from town playing lazy and not earning points as well.  Rushing to lynch someone is the worst possible thing for town, yet its something you advocated. 

There are far worst things for town than rushing to lynch JiF. 

I won't dispute that, but you've also tried to rush to lynch Hallia and JC as well. 

That is true, and it would be beneficial to town if Hallia or JC were scum

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah.  Scum would benefit from either rushing or stalling.  Townies benefit from meaningful discussion.  That being said, SMC is not exactly know for nuance these days.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Don't mistake this for sulking. I'm just referencing a known behavioral pattern, it's the downside risk of me amping up the interrogation... there's a fine line between making the game compelling and making it unreadable. Usually don't know where it is until you've crossed it. I don't see harm in speaking candidly about it.

It's sulking.

Just now, D P R said:

It's sulking.

Eh, similar to Smash, I think you're projecting your own tone onto the things I say. Maybe you're a whiner in RL? I dunno. I'm not. I speak about things matter-of-factly. If your takeaway is "sulking", then that has more to do with your view of the world buddy. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Hallia said:

Pac, that was actually a pretty thoughtful reads list.

[unvote]

Apologies for not being here more, the internet is so spotty out in the boondocks.

Can you gives us your read on the game roster?

8 minutes ago, SMC said:

That is true, and it would be beneficial to town if Hallia or JC were scum

By that same rational, you could insert ANY name into those spots.  That's not scumhunting.  That's lynching someone just to lynch them, not lynching them because they're scummy.  Let's just lynch you then if all things are equal.

On 4/15/2016 at 10:30 AM, Leelou said:

FINAL Vote Count

JiF (10) - Hallia, Lily, CTM, Crusher, DPR, wwwwwombat, Pac, Hess, Ape, SMC
80 (1) - Verbal
SMC (2) - 80, JiF
Hallia (1)  Dan
Ape (1) - JC
CTM (1) - Smash
Verbal (1) - JVoR

With 19 alive, it takes 10 to lynch. DEADLINE - FRIDAY 10:30 AM (Eastern)

Going to revisit this train.

By that same rational, you could insert ANY name into those spots.  That's not scumhunting.  That's lynching someone just to lynch them, not lynching them because they're scummy.  Let's just lynch you then if all things are equal.

Yes, of course you could insert any names there including my own.  But that is not lynching someone just to lynch them.  That's gaining information and votes on the trains elicit information

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yes, of course you could insert any names there including my own.  But that is not lynching someone just to lynch them.  That's gaining information and votes on the trains elicit information

Voting trains aren't the only way to gain information.  These include but are not limited to forcing people to take stands, list who they think is scum/town, present rationale for voting someone, inducing quiet players to provide input, etc. 

Have you ever played Mafia before?  Do you need the Ape to give you some private tutoring? 

On 4/13/2016 at 9:41 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

Hallia (4) - Hess, Crushlove, JC, JiF
CTM (3) - JVoR, Smash, 80
JiF (3) - CTM, Decker, Hallia
Crusher (2) - Pac, wwwwwombat
DPR (1) - Lily
Lily (1) - SMC
Dan (1) - Ape
wwwwwwombat (1) - Verbal
Verbal (1) - DPR

With 19 alive, it takes 10 to lynch.

80 voted CTM, then a few posts down from here he back-filled with reasons. Seems odd.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:56 AM, D P R said:

That's just terrible. Unvote Vote Ape

DPR voted me D1 for my "reasons reasons reasons" post.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:56 AM, Integrity28 said:

Scum. ^^^^

My reaction to him voting me.

On 4/13/2016 at 11:28 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Here are some reasons why I voted CTM and have kept my vote there.  Stupid, early case, I get it.  But enough time has elapsed, with people peeling their votes off CTM and onto Hallia, that I thought I'd explain to put it on the record. 

^^^ This interaction with Dan didn't sit right.

^^^ He did this last game as scum:  Brought up ways that scum would behave to appear townish.

^^^ Doesn't offer any counter theories.  Also said earlier he'd be on the lookout for "questionable suggestions."  Shouldn't he be voting for the Ape then?

^^^ First one to point out the idiocy Pac's suggestion.  We're supposed to be competing within different houses as a sub plot within the game, no?  A pro-town (or "pro house") move would have been to allow Pac to make this stupid decision to hurt his house.  Unless of course CTM and Pac are neighbors.  In which case CTM should have kept this within their QT.

On 4/13/2016 at 11:35 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

So that's what I've got on CTM. 

So, what happened to all of this 80? You just abandon it on D2?

On 4/13/2016 at 1:15 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Not even voting me.  First you jump on CTM's train after me.  Then you move your vote to the next highest train (Hallia) for no reason.  Now this. 

Unvote vote JiF

Oh, better yet, you abandoned it 2 hours later. The reason for voting JIF "you moved your vote around". JIF wasn't any flakier with his vote, than you were with yours.

On 4/13/2016 at 1:18 PM, Lily said:

+1

Unvote 

Vote Jif

Really? Get behind the 80?

On 4/13/2016 at 2:08 PM, Integrity28 said:

lol, that was easy... unvote, vote Pac

Pac hit a tell, I voted him.

On 4/13/2016 at 6:47 PM, D P R said:

Unvote Vote JF80

Wish DPR has explained this one, would come in useful now.

On 4/14/2016 at 8:27 PM, The Crusher said:

Not yet. Unvote vote JC

Response to JC asking "anyone dead yet". 

On 4/14/2016 at 8:28 PM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Unvote

vote hallia

she just sounds like she's trying too hard to sound town or is mentally leaning town on people for weird reasons that I don't really agree with or see her rationale about. Either way I feel okay with her or verbal for right now. 

Speaking of trying too hard to sound a certain way... this JVOR rationale didn't sit well. I don't know if he's ever played on DM where they town-clear more than they scum hunt.

On 4/14/2016 at 8:31 PM, Jetscode1 said:

sowing the wifom...best bet for scum.

JC nudging.

On 4/14/2016 at 9:35 PM, SMC said:

Out of JiF, 80 and Halia trains I like Halia as the better vote.

Unvote Lily Vote Halia

Why? Why dod you like Hallia as the better vote? Was it because she had the most votes? This seems like an empty rationale just to drop a 6th vote on Hallia. I'd love to know Hallia's alignment right now, considering JIF was town and the competing train at the time.

On 4/14/2016 at 4:07 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

Hallia (6) - Hess, JC, JiF, Dan, JVoR, SMC
JiF (4) - Decker, Hallia, 80, Lily
80 (3) - CTM, Verbal, DPR
JC (2) - Ape, Crushlove
CTM (2) - Smash
Crusher (1) - Pac
Verbal (1) - wwwwwombat

With 19 alive, it takes 10 to lynch. DEADLINE - FRIDAY 10 AM (Eastern) 

Archived